Medieval Powers

How would you rank the medieval European Kingdoms/Empires in terms of power from 12th century to mid 15th century (excluding Byzantine empire)? You should include the time period for the ranking. I was thinking something along the lines of:
1) Holy Roman Empire
2) Kingdom of England/Angevin Empire
3) Kingdom of France (might replace England at number two near the end of the hundred years war)
4) dunno

Other urls found in this thread:

medievalists.net/2016/01/the-power-of-medieval-states-a-report-from-the-year-1423/?utm_content=bufferca68f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

That's too large a period.
And wouldn't it be a comparison of monarchs rather than Kingdoms what you want?
The duchy of Aquitaine was part of the Kingdom of France. But the duke of Aquitaine was the King of England in the era of Henry II. Would you count it as part of France (since it was a part of the Kingdom of France) or as part of the realm of the King of England?

Go by highest title of the monarch to the respective kingdom.

It depended on the era.
Frederick I (Holy Roman Emperor) was the strongest monarch of his era.
Frederick III (Holy Roman Emperor) couldn't beat his younger brother who had half of his duchy of Austria and for some years, Vienna was occupied by the King of Hungary (but Frederick III was a very smart man who was the main responsible for the rise of the Habsburg family, even if he started in such a precarious position).

How would you measure their respective power then? Military power? Weath? Production?
> between 1000 and 1520, the Kingdom of Hungary fought 12 wars against the entire HRE, most of them by itself
>It won 6 wars, lost 1 and had stalemate 5 times

Also, the most important hungarian dynasty from that period was ackhually wallachian. The Huniads came from Wallachia and managed to get the hungarian throne in less than 50 years.

>medievalists.net/2016/01/the-power-of-medieval-states-a-report-from-the-year-1423/?utm_content=bufferca68f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

France > Power gap >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Literally every one else.

>France, England, Castille = 30,000
>Germany = 60,000
>Tamerlane = 1,000,000

He is asking for the period of "12th century to mid 15th century", not the period of Louis XIV or Napoleon.

>THEY DEPICT THE HRE AS 1 WHOLE STATE
So this is the power of highschool education?

Fuck off with your shitty memes.

My answer stays the same.

That makes you ignorant.

All jokes aside, the simplified version of an accurately depicted map of this time period is absolutely preposterous. The fact that highschool students will progress into much of their life thinking that this is how history is actually represented is pitiful on the institution's part.

Can you feel his power level, Veeky Forums?

before 1204 - ERE
after 1204 - HRE

Why the hell was West Europe wealthier than East if East was closer to the middle east to trade faster?

Western Europe was not wealthier.

>highschool students will progress into much of their life thinking that this is how history is actually represented
If you're implying highschool students think about medieval history at all beyond memes and factoids you're badly mistaken.

For what it's worth, I'm german and my high school history education left a giant hole between charlemagne and the french revolution, with nary a bit of social history (muh serfdom) and some renaissance sprinkled in.

Is it true that in Europe, history education is pretty much like "History Channel" from 2002 to 2006, with a very large emphasis on WWII?

Western Europe was certainly traditionally more wealthy and advanced than northeast europe (poland/hungary/russia etc.) for various reasons. Balkans, greece and byzantine anatolia would be a more complicated story.

Only Northern Italy and Flanders were rich at that time period.

>"History Channel" from 2002 to 2006
That doesn't really tell me much there user.
Germany certainly puts a lot of emphasis on the nazis and a bit on cold war history. Also a lot of social/economic/technical stuff and not a lot of politics. Too warlike for the modern teacher.
Also, I could bet they've gone full diversity and shit these days.

>That doesn't really tell me much there user.
History Channel at the time was the "WW2 channel". I remember some guy from another European country saying that they didn't study about the medieval period in the history of his country and that history started with the world wars.

I'd guess the history channel would put more emphasis on the flashy and less on the fashy parts.

Not really.

From 1250 to 1647 the hegemonic power in Europe both on land and sea was Castile.Anything else is a bad meme

Okay my friend.

>Angevin "empire"

Where did this meme start and when Will it end?

1)France
2)England
3) Holy Roman Empire
4)Castile
5) Hungary

Not at all. Where I webt to school WWII is only covered during the last semester.

>Hungary
>northeat
Brainlet. And Hungary was certainly wealthier than England before the Turkish invasion, considering they produced most of Europe's precious metals.

/thread. I can't believe the discussion is continuing.

Well what else would you call it?

I added hungary to the list there after the fact.
As for the hungarian economy...
> However, most profits from the mines were transferred to Italian and South German merchants, because the value of imported fine textiles and other goods always exceeded the price of cattle and wine exported from the kingdom.[29]
Sounds like a temporary windfall benefitting an otherwise agrarian economy.

>wealthy people were buying and importing expensive shit from abroad
>this makes them poor

Doesn't say there how big of a deal precious metal production was compared to the general economy. ("Most of the production" means very little since precious metals are not consumed.) That wiki line there suggests that it didn't make them rich for long at least, as is usual for raw material wealth.

You don't account for the fact Hungary pretty much had a monopoly on precious metals in medieval Europe. America was not discovered yet, and Eastern/African metals were hard to obtain because of islam. 80% of Europe's gold in the 14th century came from Northern Hungary.

Serbia stronk

Angevin dynasty / kingdom, it was as much an empire as the hre

Sicily was wealthier than both

Fuck off terrone

>muh sicily

Which never knew a day of independent rule in its time, and only prospered when Arabs, Normans or Borboni subjugated your ass

No need to behave like a monkey if you agree with a post

Don't worry I've regained my composure, glad we agree

1/3 of your education will be WW1 and 2
Another 1/3 the Romans and Greeks
1/3 the history of brittania post Heingst and Horsa

>Chink Empire = 300,000

I wonder how Timur’s Invasion of Ming would have went.

>12th to mid 15th

That's a too long and retardedly cherrypicked period. It's like saying from 3rd century to mid 7th century.

It may be too long, but what the heck has cherrypicking got to do with it. I haven't even made an argument

In Lithuania, it's
>1/5 about Mesopotamia/Egypt/Ancient Greece/ Roman empire
>1/5 About Medieval Europe, with big emphasis in GDL
>1/5 Renaissance, colonization and inventions
>1/5 about American Revolution, French Revolution, Napoleonic wars and Germany/Italian unification
>1/5 about ww1, ww2 and cold war.