Linguistics study

Post your accent heat map and your state

nytimes.com/interactive/2014/upshot/dialect-quiz-map.html?_r=0

Australian here, apparently I'm Hawaiian. I guess Polynesians talk like us?

Indianapolis, born and raised.

North-Central Utah.

>talk like us?
*talk like we(do).

I'm sorry, the way that I worded that post was rather mean.

Sorry, it just gets me. I can't help myself when I see grammatical mistakes.

Also Australian, this puts me solidly (and almost solely) in the New York/Jersey City area.

Born and raised in Austin, Texas.

Spot on.

WEEEEEEEEEEELL
Ah wish ah was in the land of cotton!

I'm from the Chicago area, this was spookily accurate

We just assume we talk "normal" here, not like the south or the gays and italians on the coast

I'm from San Diego, southern California.

*banjos start playing*

Oh right, born and raised in Baton Rouge, absolute shithole.
Now live in Atlanta.

Ausfailia reporting in

Born and raised in North Idaho, however my mom is from California and my dad from Alaska so I probably picked up on part of the accent.

Lol, how embaressing.
Left up a joke name from /tv/

Admitting that you post on /tv/ is more embaressing

New Zealander

Philly, btw, unsurprisingly

St. Louis here. From a linguistic standpoint, we're like an island in the Midwest.

Born in Ft. Worth
Raised in (rural)Jean/Graham
Living DFW
And by Crom, I'm gonna make goddamned sure I'm buried here.
Fuck oklahoma, fuck toronto, fuck seattle.

Upstate NYer here

I'm not even American but apparently I would be some urban Upland Southern guy.
I might take a guess and say this is close to a sort of average American dialect that's close to what you might hear in most American media outside the US.

Damn I'm city boy as fuck.
Anyways I'm a florida fag.
Praise publix

What my Australian dialect got me

Finland
It's sad how many Americans don't even know how to speak their own language properly

This was pretty accurate, as I'm from Long Island

Alabama Colony of the Publix Empire reporting

>be a fingol
>get this result

Should I be worried?

Mom is from Madison
Dad is from St Louis
I live in Chicago suburbs

I'd say this metric is pretty good

Lots of people from Commonwealth countries (besides Canada) get NYC because the accent and such seems to have been preserved in the urban upper classes

Washington metro. I guess it was pretty accurate. Got Boston, DC, and Baltimore.

Most similar:
>New York
>Yonkers
>Newark/Paterson

Least similar:
>New Orleans
>Des Moines
>Houston

Only the best lads say bubbler and sunshower

Born and raised in Philly

califag here, read me like a book

>We just assume we talk "normal"
More like an annoying nasal accent

>Sorry, it just gets me. I can't help myself when I see grammatical mistakes.

That's often identified as a grammatical mistake. I understand the rationale. But at some point the mistakes (whether we like them or not) cease to be mistakes when they become the norm.

Surely you would say "it is I"... Would you also say, "I am I"?

Red sort of across the board (except the South), but deep, deep West Coast in particular. Makes sense (SF/LA born & raised). Though did adopt some phrases from mumsy (she was raised in New Orleans).

Do you often refer to "da kine"?

Anyway, I see a lot of parallels between Australian (where surfer-influenced or whatever you call it) and wesside/Hawaiian.

Pretty accurate, I'd say.

Vancouver is the accent of Anime dubs along with other Canadian accents for popular Japanese media.

We can spot you peoples from a mile away!

I'm in LA. Oceanside is close enough.

I think it's a rather admirable trait on the part of this fine young lad.

>I might take a guess and say this is close to a sort of average American dialect that's close to what you might hear in most American media outside the US.

No way ho-zay. If your accent is based on absorbing what you hear from American media, it should be mostly west coast (LA/SF) and NY. Nowhere near Kentucky.

>It's sad how many Americans don't even know how to speak their own language properly

This is true, but, liek, it's also true that you should shut yer Euro-fag fartface.

How the hell do people communicate with Louisiana

Foreigner here, apparently I'm all over.

Louisiana was probably pinpointed based on a very few (and, phonetically, comprehensible) items of vocab. Like (I think) "kitty corner."

I possess the "American accent."

my post, now with my result

Child in Wisconsin, schooled/living in Georgia. I don't sound like anything.

So, this would be the result with argie spanish closest words. I get the west coast similitude, but why would be so high in Boston Area?

Virginia, but I was born in Tennessee and most of my family is from there

no it wouldn't. The fact that movies are made in California doesn't mean that movies only cast Californians, you retard.

Nice armchair analysis, Professar Babby Chomsky, but educate yourself on "General American English" and "American Broadcast English" and... probably everything else on which you think you have a valid opinion.

Also maybe give a moment to wonder why so many of those actors have accent coaches to reduce their regional dialects.

>The fact that movies are made in California

Yeah... also maybe, if it's not too taxing, read the post again about the importance of the NY accent.

"""General American English""" isn't based off Californian speech, it's midwestern.

Just because someone doesn't speak standard American English natively doesn't mean that they don't speak properly.

>"""General American English""" isn't based off Californian speech, it's midwestern.

Currently, not so much. Originally, moreso. Over time, it has come to be less associated with the midwest -- not to say that there's none of it.

Also, to say that it's exclusively "midwestern" would have been overbroad even by earlier definitions.

Can you tell where I'm from?

Judging by the map I'd guess... Warsaw?

Just a Wisconsin guy born and raised. Go Packers

I grew up in Dallas-Fort Worth area in North Texas, but oddly I don't think I have ever been to Missouri.

I'm a fucking leaf and apparently it thinks I'm either from Pennsylvania or the northwest.

Do those places have similar pronounciations or something?

Why is is called "midwest" when most of the "midwest" is arguably in the east half of the country

for the same reason there's a university in Chicago called Northwestern, at one point in time that was the western US.

>Why is is called "midwest" when most of the "midwest" is arguably in the east half of the country

Yeah, what that guy said. Once upon a time, America was New England and bits of the South... everything further west was just "west." Then when the west coast became a thing, the "west" west had to be called something, and they weren't creative enough to generate a whole new name.

Not American but I've always lumped US states as

West > Mid-west > Central > Mid-East > East

>Central
>Mid-East
those aren't terms anybody would use
you also forgot the South, which is probably the most distinct region of the US

Not even from muttland at all.

yo what neighborhood, frankford here

I don't get why no one would sue central.

I mean what are Kansas and Nebraska if not in the "center"? I mean Kansas is literally the center of the USA.

>yo what neighborhood, frankford here

GET A ROOM, FUNBOYS.

US is typically grouped as
>West
>Southwest
>Central/Mountains/Rockies
>Midwest (Division between the Plains states and Rust Belt common)
>Southeast (Texas and Florida often counted as separate entities altogether, usually divided between the South Atlantic and Deep South)
>Northeast (Often divided between the mid Atlantic and New England)

actually I was wrong, "mid-east" is sort of used, it's just called "mid-Atlantic" instead.

"Great Plains" is used instead of central.

There's really no "mid-east" (unless you're talking around the Persian gulf)... "Central" exists, but mostly as a time zone.

>>Southeast
it's "The South", not that gay shit.

They're wholly interchangeable, I live in the South and nobody really cares if you call it one way or the other.

no they're not, nobody in the South says that.

>Nobody in the South says that
I'm in the South and use the terms Southeast or South interchangeably, your argument is invalid.

>I'm "in the South"
>not "from the South"
t. ransplant
opinion invalidated

britbong result

>If you don't call yourself a Southerner every time you mention the South you're not a REAL Southerner
No true Scotsman, get the fuck out.

when speaking English people tend to use demonyms instead of indicating that they are currently physically in the place they live, yes. I don't understand why that concept is upsetting to you.

GET OUT O MY STATE YOU YANKEE BASTERD. IF YOU AINT HANGIN 10 REBEL FLAGS FROM YER PORCH 24/7 AND PLAYING SWEET OL' DIXIE TUNES ON THE RADIO AND YELLING AT NIGGERS YOU NEED TO GGIIIIIITTTT OOOOOUUUTTT.

mad Yank

Because you called me a transplant, surely you understand why I might be a touch offended. I'm from TN and that's where I'm from, in retrospect I don't know why I used the word "in" but I feel mighty foolish for it.

Shit they got me

T. Mainer

>the second least Southeastern part of the South saying Southeastern

Where in britbongistan?

greatest ally

>Second least Southeastern part of the South
I hope you mean geographically, but culturally TN is southern as fuck.

rural south

of course I mean geographically, I'm perhaps my ass is just a bit raw from now being grouped in with the "Mid-Atlantic" half of the time due to the DC suburbs

New York is the most similar but I can probably pass as a Californian. Really shows how accents on the coasts are very similar for young adults as a result of the Internet and television.

Accents everywhere are getting more homogenized. If you live in an urban center in the US from the South to the North to the West, most people under the age of 30 have roughly the same accent these days.

>moved from one shithole to another

central Ohio