You needs a history degree to good know history

You needs a history degree to good know history.

>history degree
should've studied fairytales woj

Name 3 good historians without degree.

Grimm, Herodotus, Napoleon

>"My biased, uninformed, unfounded, groundless, speculative, and inflammatory assertions should be held on equal footing with people who have spent decades employed in first hand research and direct education"

>Grimm
Folklorist.

>Herodotus
Author of high fantasy novels.

>Napoleon
Militarist.

Not historians.

mad

Calling someone a name doesn't take away their legacy of being a great 'historian'

Where did I name-call?
All of those men are HIGHLY respected in their respective fields of adumbration.

I'm not the one too dumb to get an associates degree.

so i've always wondered how much time do history majors spend learning proper methodology and stuff? do you take units on this kind of stuff? i always imagined a history degree was just 30 credits of history classes and that you learn methodology as you go along.

>Grimm
Which one?

>Herodotus
Bad example, lived before the concept of education even became a thing.

>Napoleon
Bonaparte? Not a historian

>do you take units
One more time in English?

>lived before the concept of education even became a thing
What are "Travelling sophists paid to impart knowledge" for $800, Alex.

like you know, a class, a semester long class

"1 unit in historiography and methodology required"

At my school English majors had to take a course called English 300 before they can could take anything more advanced than lower level survey courses, referred to colloquially as "English major bootcamp", and it was by far the hardest course I took as an undergrad. The course was about learning the basics of literary theory and the process of being a literary scholar. It focused on scholarly research and the standards for submitting work for peer review in scholarly journals. The teachers graded our work at a near-graduate level. I failed the course the first time I took it, so did half my class.

Before I was an English major though my declared major was history, and I knew that history had a similar deal. You could only take lower level survey courses unless you went through a "bootcamp" class that basically teaches you how to be a historian, and it's much harder than any of the upper division courses you want to take.

Too bad Herodotus and Protagoras were born roughly in the same year.

Now gimme the cash, mr. moderator guy.

Yes that's pretty much the situation. And that class is used as a barrier between low and high level classes. You can't take anything more serious than "Survey of Western Civilization II" until you take that course because professors don't want to waste their time reading amateur hour essays.

Your mom

cringe

They do that with pretty much all the liberal arts.
Can't take 300 and above without a 250+ form of methodology.

You may not need a degree to know your history but being in a university history program helps with bedding 9/10 qt history nerd gfs while studying abroad.

Name 1 good one with a degree.