Dunkirk

Is it overrated? Historically inaccurate? Also opinions on how well Christopher Nolan portrayed WW2.

I was relieved when it was over and stumbled out of the darkness shell shocked and exhausted. It is a visual and aural assault.

Flavor of the month fedoracore.
Good movie. Stop memeing it.

I know I'm late but I still wanted to know how people felt about the movie. The real person memeing it is .

I saw that shit in imax and it blew me away.

>Germans stop advancing because they want to force peace negotiations
>Anglos run away pretty much unscathed
>Anglo propaganda treats this as a heroic victory

>Germans stop advancing because of overextension
>a great effort is made to evacuate forces in the Dunkirk pocket in this window, including 850 or so civilian "little ships" who joined in to ferry troops
>autistic robots can't understand why an event involving a strategic defeat might be celebrated for the values that it represents, so they mischaracterise why it's valued and /int/post
Same for not only every Dunkirk thread, but also the same for every thread involving an event in any national mythology that can't be easily understood as a great victory.

I loved it . Very human.
Loved the Sea and air bits .

also when Tom read out Churchill's speech at the end it sent chills down my spine, it's an amazing speech .

I'll take it over American wankfest ww2 movies

I loved it. Favourite movie of the year.

>I'll take teanigger wankfest over amerimutt wankfest
What's the difference?
Personally I like German war movies the best. Their conditioning prevents them from glorifying the nazis, but at the same time they don't want to completely shit on them either. So they're the most balances movies.

Dunkirk didn't shit on the Nazis. They were depicted as an invisible force.

>Germans stop advancing because they want to force peace negotiations
Ah, this meme again
Apparently stopping because your armored units need refitting and infantry to catch up while strafing Allied troops trying to flee is """""negotiating"""""" for peace

>Brits queueing up, the movie

kek so much this
captcha: Normandie Raffaello

The seas in the channel were unusually calm during the evacuation, unlike in the film where the mole looks like a hurricane is about to hit it.

I like German ones as well like Das Boot, American ww2 movies like Hacksaw Ridge have the Americans act like super humans, the British ones feel a bit more dignified I guess.

German Stalingrad was a great movie too, so was Generation War, even though Polish experienced atomic butthurt upon seeing themselves portrayed as antisemitic.

I feel like with American movies accuracy goes out the window and every war movie is either a glorified action film, pro-American propaganda, or a manifestation of total self-hate (every Vietnam movie ever).

Every fucking Gallipoli thread i tell ya

I picked up on this as well and tried to make a point to ask other anons opinions but was ignored.
I found this whole movie as being just teaboo sided war glory. The French weren't even shown that much either except for the first scene where the fellow escapes near death in the alley way, and the french soldier who posed as a Brit to get away safe.
If I didn't know any better, I'd think just from watching this that the French barely had a role in the battle of Dunkirk, were chicken shits who tried to flee the battle, and the civilians of Britain were the real heros. Also that Churchill is the greatest inspirationalist who came out of WWII

>If I didn't know any better, I'd think just from watching this that the French barely had a role in the battle of Dunkirk, were chicken shits who tried to flee the battle, and the civilians of Britain were the real heros. Also that Churchill is the greatest inspirationalist who came out of WWII
All of these are correct

>Generation War
Probably my favorite war series ever. It did a good job humanizing the "bad guys" and that first episode did an especially good job at getting you to understand the kind of mindset that caused the average German to support the war effort.

Hello Lindy, how are you this evening?

The film was an attempt to put on screen the Battle of Dunkirk as it appears to the British public. That is to say, things like the 'little boats', escaping the terrifying nazis, and the strong leadership of Churchill are all things about the battle that are most important to the British. The French aren't shown in a big way because that's not why Dunkirk holds such significance for brits.

Every country does this with their war films. They take moments and concepts that are important to their national mythology and apply it to screen. Remember that this is a film, not a documentary; it's important on a cultural level, as well as a historical one

I personally thought it was pretty shit. None of the characters were developed at all. They jump around too much and everyone is just doing their goddamn job or getting blown up. It's like watching a plumber go at a toilet. Terrible war flick. There's no real sense of loss whenever people get killed. And that train scene was honestly corny as fuck. Idk why people think this was such a great movie.

I don't care what you thought of the movie, but if you didn't nut your pants at the sound of the Spitfire flyby then you're not a real man

as far as i know the only inaccurate part is the battleship is a french model, because no British ones survive, and the small boats didn't arrive in a pack but as a steady stream. but the big pack moment has a much higher emotional pay off so it makes for a better movie. its much more experience than narrative, so it is kinda to be really invested in anyone character. except that one poor Frenchman ;_;

kek'ed

only good parts were the dog fights and maybe the grounded ship parts.
rip frog

>film about dunkirk
>cowarldy anglos have a picknick on beach
>some retard throws away Her Majesty's Aircraft because MUH HEROISM
>great success such victory hurray

Spekaing of recent historical movies, what's the consensus on Darkest Hour?

Are there any Russian WWII movies on the level of Das Boot, or even something like Patton?

Hacksaw Ridge was made by an Australian.

>WW2 film
>British portrayed in positive light
>competent

it's Anglo propaganda

name one that actually jerked off America's war egregiously though

>inb4 Fury

>"masters of Europe"
>can't even break through into the Dunkirk salient with the entire German military

oh g*rms

Anything based off of a fucking Ambrose book

Bane was the best part of the movie.

i think you capture my sentiments well. I still like it because its a historical setting and serious historical movies and dramas are getting made nowadays. but i didn't feel emotionally attached to the character or the narrative, though the dive bombing was suspenseful

rarely getting made*

>Anglo propaganda treats this as a heroic victory
quite the opposite, nobody in Britain sees Dunkirk as a victory, and no one to my knowledge has ever tried to portray it as such. Dunkirk lives on in the British consciousness as the most terrifying part of our history, a shameful position that was caused by cowardly politicians, in which we nearly lost our entire army. Dunkirk is a perfect example of the old odium 'live to fight another day' which is ingrained in British culture, and the reason why we glorify an evacuation, quite unlike any other peoples. Most of British patriotism doesn't stem from fantastic stories of conquest, but on the survival of our ideals and sovereignty and the hatred of a foreign yoke. In short, the most rousing message a person in Britain can hear is "England lives", "Cymru am Bryth" and "Alba gu brath"

Then why, after your outrageously heroic stand against fascism in the 1940's, are your people voluntarily importing hundreds of thousands of people who are diametrically opposed to your principles in almost every conceivable way? Your ancestors came up with the Magna Carta, for fuck's sake. Seriously I'm not a /pol/ shitposter, just want to get your non-shitpost opinion. You are my cousin; my ancestors came to the US from England in the late 1600s.

>Dunkirk lives on in the British consciousness as the most terrifying part of our history
I would think that would be Passchendaele.

WHERE'S THE FROGS?

It depends where you go, in more rural areas such as Wales, Scotland or Cumbria people are much more hostile towards immigration than people in London; which the main hub for nearly all immigration. I think this is because London has long lost its sense of tradition and Cockneys have lost their pride and feeling of belonging to the area. For instance, anywhere else in the Country you can tell where people originate from by their surname alone (i.e Jones and Griffiths from Wales and Wilson from Yorkshire) but this has been largely impossible for Londoners since the industrial revolution brought in internal migration from the surrounding farmlands. Without a sense of attachment to their city, Cockneys don't necessarily feel the same pride in their homes like other Englishmen, and henceforth allow huge numbers of immigration; because they simply don't care enough to stop it. The same can not be said for other parts of Britain, and although other large cities such as Manchester have a large number of immigrants, these new arrivals are treated with contempt. All together, this means that London has an indigenous population only 44% whilst the rest of the country enjoys heights of up to 90%, even in large towns and cities.

nobody see's it as a victory lmao, you anglophobes really have no clue

Its really not as bad as /pol/ makes it out to be, mate

What were the Luftwaffe attacks like irl?
The movie depicts just max 3 planes at once attacking.

>Is it overrated?
No.
>Historically inaccurate
In general? No. There are some small inaccuracies.

>>Germans stop advancing because they want to force peace negotiations
In reality, it was Von Rundstedt and Kluge who ordered the advance halted, primarily because the advancing tanks had overextended themselves, the terrain was marshy, the armor was valuable and still needed for the final assault on France, and Göring had assured Hitler that his Luftwaffe could deal with the stragglers on the beach. It had nothing to do with "peace negotiations" as revisionists want you to believe.

Generation War is garbage.

Come and See

Mel Gibson isn't Australian, though I can see how it would be easy to confuse his nationality seeing as he's been in a few Australian films now

Timeless bait

They couldn't really do anymore than that because those were the only planes they had available.

t. Grzegorz

t. Oskar Dirlewanger

t. Ivan Goldstein

I second this but be warned it's a bit odd at times

>great success such victory hurray
>litterally ends by saying wars are not won by evacuations

What did they mean by this?