Catharism

What can Veeky Forums tell me about them? Literally the only thing I know about their "religion" is that they bealived Devil, not God is responsible for all the bad stuff which souns quite logical to me.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandaeism
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Caused shitloads of rebellions in my ck2 Wessex save. 0/10 would proselytize

Bumpi

did you fuck that horse, user?

Shia Muslims and Zoroastrians believe this too. May be dualistic influence.

Catharism was a gnostic revival movement. They believed that:
>The "old testament god" who created all physical matter was actually Satan, and the "new testament god" was good.
>Humans are the spirits of angels trapped inside (inherently evil) matter.
>Humans were reincarnated until they reached salvation.
>Salvation just happened to be reached through the Cathar's own, unique ritual called Consolamentum.

You will note that the Catholic church would disagree with all of these points.

>Salvation just happened to be reached through the Cathar's own, unique ritual called

just like how atheist just *happen* to know nothing beyond the material exist or how buddhist just *happen* to have the correct path to nirvana? To my knowledge catharism wasn’t particularly proselytizing so i’m gonna have to call bullshit on this claim.

any non-larping, non-insane church/religion that still believe this? it makes way to much sense to just be forgotten or left behind in history

The Albigensians (a different name for Cathars) showed up after the Crusades; the Franks got some weird ideas from the Paulicians and other Eastern heresies during their travels to the holy land.

The point is that, as you say, EVERYONE claims to have the one and only correct path.
I only say in my last point that Cathars, a Christian/Gnostic offshoot, took away the need for a Christian savior by having their own ritual make a person perfect, which is one of the biggest reasons the Catholic church hated them.

We don't really know how hard they tried to recruit members. It WAS popular with women, though. Since a person could reincarnate as a man or woman, gender to them was meaningless - which women of the Middle Ages really liked.

meant for , you cheeky little...

See, the thing is that Christianity instructs people to become Christ like and encourages emulating Christ to the point of being perfect. In this sense, having a sacrament perfect you is not much different.

All of Christianity is by definition LARPing, but no. Gnosticism of any form has been long dead for years. The closest you're going to get is with Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses.

>The closest you're going to get is with Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses.
You really don't know anything about Gnostic theology, do you? Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses and like the opposite of Gnostic. They are more some sort of distorted protestants. And you are wrong about "long dead." Some Gnostics survived continuously up until the present day en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandaeism

In the West, you can find Gnosticism in the Esoteric tradition, alchemy, Hermeticism ect.

Mandaeans are considered Gnostic. They and groups similar to them have beliefs resembling point 2. In the case of Christianity, the closest group to Mandaeans is the Church of the East and their idea of transubstantiation may resemble point 2.

(I'm not Christian, just to be clear. My knowledge is purely academic and may be spotty.)
But, in the eyes of a Christian, consolamentum is like using a dirty rag to clean up another dirty rag: nothing gets cleaner. Because Jesus/God is perfect (holy, perfectly clean, etc.) he is able to remove sin. Humans, being tainted with sin, can't.
In Christianity, becoming Christ-like is the ultimate goal. HOWEVER, there is also accepting that it cannot possibly happen - that Christ was born without sin, and humans were born WITH sin.

At the end of the day, it's the removal of Jesus that twists Christian panties.

Can we call the Albigensian Crusades "The War of Northern Aggression and Genocide against Langueoc?

Since even Orthodox forms of Christianity includes so many diverse ideas, let alone if you mix in heterodoxy, it's pretty hard to pin down one general way Christianity feels. On one hand you are right, and Christian aversion to pride and hubris would naturally discourage someone from achieving Christhood. I don't know if a similar analogy exist in other faiths, such as if a living person would go so far as to say they have achieved Buddhahood or not.

On the other hand, Christianity (at least Catholicism) teaches that the entire church, both living and spirits, share one body with Christ. ultimately your destiny is to be united as one perfect being. So it's complicated.

thanks. to bad they sound gay af. i think i could really get behind something like the cathars.

All I'm interested in with regards to the Cathars is their thermal efficiency.

What was better for heating a town square per pound, a Cathar or a Waldensian?

>>Humans were reincarnated until they reached salvation.
This actually makes 100% sense instead of being sent to hell to be torchered for rest of etenrinty...
Being reincarnated into world that is at the same time hellish and beautiful, to find redemption, love, mercy and peace...

jeez, makes me sad that Catharism didn't succeed...

The Bible actually teaches reincarnation, even if mainstream Christian sects don't. Catholics have purgatory though, and Orthodox have death as a journey as opposed to something instant.

>The Bible actually teaches reincarnation
How? Can you show examples?

> Can you show examples?
Yes. Wisdom of Solomon 8:20
"As a child I was by nature well endowed, and a good soul fell to my lot; or rather, being good, I entered an undefiled body"

Yes

Yes I did.

Isn't it the Bogomilism of the west?

Imagine how awesome it would be if Catharism became church of the west while Bogomilism becomes church of the east.

The origins of the New Testament is all Greek. The bible has been taken literal. Its really a astrological and scientific anatomy of the human consciousness and mind. Everything and everyone in the book represent a certain quest or function. The entire NT is greek, Christianity is a greek religion filled of Pythagorasm and Plato, Jesus is a greek word and given because the numerical value # 888 mythological number in greek of the Sun and a continuation of Sun worship.

This is an important part of how those ideas transmitted westward, OP. Another major component is the Byzantine Romans deciding to shore up their western provinces bordering the Bulgarians by forcibly uprooting and resettling thousands of peasants from Eastern Anatolia, which included a number of Bogomilists, a similar dualistic form of Christianity. This resulted in Bogomilist preachers fanning out along the Balkans and into Italy, and theological compatibility between Bogomilism and Catharism was close enough that at least one Bogomilist sat on a Cathar council.

Some random interesting bits about them: The Cathars thought that the idea of holy places was utter rubbish considering that the material world was evil, and thus made a point of treating churches as no different than any other structure and sometimes even with disdain - one rather fanatical Perfecti is alleged to have taken a shit in a confessional booth to hammer this home.

Their opponents spread rumors that their name was derived from the word for "cat" in Greek or Italian (can't remember which, but it was something like "Kathi") because supposedly Satan appeared to them in the form of a cat whose asshole they kissed to become Perfecti.

They placed great importance on the ritual of becoming a Perfecti being performed by an unbroken line of uncorrupted Perfecti, which caused a major stir when the Italian Perfecti who had inducted some of their first French missionaries was revealed to have broken celibacy. This called into question whether everyone that had been converted via that route needed to be resworn.

That is WAY off context. He's talking about the spirit of wisdom.
Jews believed in Sheol.

They had cool castles.

how could such a fort ever fall to a pre-airforce army?

no it’s not. he’s talking about his own soul. the context is the origin for his quest and desire to receive wisdom.

treachery

>jews believed in sheol
>implying the existence of after life states is contradictory to reincanration
>Jews were a monolithic group who all had the same beliefs for the 3000 years of their existence
>Solomon literally says MY soul entered a good body because it was predisposed to good.

There's a few modern gnostic movements, but they aren't connected to Catharism

Mandaeism

Fair enough.

However, I will assert that this does not constitute a belief in reincarnation. There are other possibilities, after all. Perhaps the spirit was made and, being found good, was placed inside a good body. Perhaps the body was made, and being found good, a fitting spirit was made and placed inside.

I ask for further confirmation.

You turn its biggest advantage into its biggest disadvantage: isolation

they beliaved the physical world was entirely evil
ergo
marriage is wrong because it legitimizes physical pleasure
childbirth is wrong because it sends other souls to the world if sin and suffering.
if someones about to die, help him out a little.
dont give a shit abiut siciety because it, an illusion of satan
etc.

>don't give af about society
>don't marry or procreate
idk, man. i'm pretty sure people still got married, had kids, baked bread and did normal everyday shit like that before they all got murdered by the crusaders.
like in buddism, not everyone can be a monk, you know?
>if someone's about to die, help him out
sounds like euthanasia and is preferable to the catholic "pain brings you closer to god" stuff that mother theresa had going in india.

>catholic "pain brings you closer to god" stuff that mother theresa had going in india
this is very basic Christian dogma. hardly exclusive to mother teresa or even catholicism. as for what’s better, that’s merely your subjective opinion.

>this is very basic Christian dogma.
wtf? my priest said you got closer to god through love. what a massive fucking faggot god must think he is.

here’s a novel idea .maybe both love AND suffering can bring one closer to God?

is it because jesus was tortured or because people in pain tend to pray very hard for the pain to stop?

Siege

hunger, thirst, bribes, treason

You're welcome

The life of Jesus in general.

They believed that traps aren't gay.

People need to eat.

that would be pretty fucking retarded

>Imagine how retarded it would be if Catharism became church of the west while Bogomilism becomes church of the east.

>retarded
Why?

They literally advocated for Humanity to die out, and thought that Satan created the Earth.

and yet it was the crusaders that were the genocidal maniacs

No water = no life.
I'm still amazed they built these absurdities though.