Why did this country never amount to anything?

Why did this country never amount to anything?
Not trying to be mean but even Netherlands had a trade empire once.
Denmark is a nordic protestant country save from destructions and endless wars Germany for example was subjugated to.

>knows about dutch trade
>doesn't knows that danes controlled baltic trade for hundreds of years

Then their trade got Dutch'd, nothing personel Jens.

We wuz european great power long ago, and now we are one of the richest and best countries to live in, we didn't fail that badly

it held the crowns of sweden and norway, it was THE nordic power before the swedes, it had the best fleet before colonisation became a thing and a major power during the 30years war too
they had small colonies in india, africa and the carib region

your knowledge is just lackluster dumb amerigoblin

I didn't mean to insult Denmark. No doubt one of the best countries in the world. Which is why I'm surprised it is historically RELATIVELY insignificant.

No I didn't know. Though frankly I never thought about Baltic trade in the first place. Is it a big enough deal to ignore European power play for it?

Same reasons for why it sucks in EU4 - a pretty bad geographical location:

>To their north is Norway and Sweden, two countries they actually did subjugate into vassals and even then it didn't make them much more relevant or powerful, since both of those countries were/are mostly frozen wastelands at the edge of the world
>to the south is the Holy Roman Empire, which they couldn't really fuck with without pissing off the vastly more powerful Emperor since Germany was much more populous then Denmark
>to the west is the North Sea, and across that is the British Isles, which is both too far away to bother with and also almost always more powerful and populous and wealthy
>to the east is Russia, also more populous and powerful and too large and difficult to bother with conquering

tl;dr: surrounded by either frozen wasteland, seas or vastly more powerful countries

In medieval, they were the most important guy in Baltic, had a few colonies on the eastern side. But then Hansa appeared (north german trading league), which they spent the entire late medieval fighting.
Kalmar union id call a huge success.
And Danes were also pretty invested in worldwide trading empires when it became a thing picrelated. They were one of the first ones to seriously trade with China, and the first Europeans to trade in tea (which proved hella profitable, and thats why Brits eventually pushed them out of the tea trade)
Kalmar union eventually got fucked over by Swedes and Danish colonial empire by Dutch, and since then they regressed into irrelevancy

>it held the crowns of sweden and norway, it was THE nordic power before the swedes
I know. This is exactly my point.

>it had the best fleet before colonisation became a thing and a major power during the 30years war too
That's Spain though. And MAJOR power is a stretch.

>your knowledge is just lackluster
Not denying it. But your insecurity keeps you from reading and understanding my question correctly

>Which is why I'm surprised it is historically RELATIVELY insignificant.
They were not insignificant.

That is a good answer

>bad geographic position
>despite the fact that they are in position to control entire baltic trade and charge merchants for passing through their waters
its not as bad as you think it is
>to the east is russia
so?

>major power during the 30years war
>fight two battles
>retire from the was completely

>small colonies in india, africa and the carib region

>forts and factories
>colonies
Pick one

Relatively. Compared to how much say Britain, Prussia or Portugal

*blocks your path*

thats not spain though, read about it, who is insecure? you make a thread making a dumbass out of yourself claiming something while its certainly not true

the 30years war had a period named after the danes, they were the only ones at that time standing up the protestants

>im a virgin underaged shitstain who tries to be funny with greentext but fails and will die in cancer anyway because im a retard

pick all

>and also almost always more powerful and populous and wealthy
But they did conquer it once...

Hahaha litterally no.
If you refer to the vikings, then it's not true. It is indeed true that nordic people, danes among them, moved away to find riches and new lands, but never once did a danish king in charge of a danish army do anything to anyone, during the viking age. True, Svend I up to Magnus III did control some of England for a while, but it was 50 years tops. Truth. That's it. Nothing more. No super power, but control of England during a troubled period of english history.
During one of the Valdemars, I forgot who, but I think it was the first, the danish army fought some wars in the baltic, and claimed control of some important lands, bordering Russia.
Queen Margrethe I bacame queen of Denmark, Sweden and Norway in the 1380's, a union called the Kalmar Union, and thus reigned the baltic areas.
This didn't last long however, 150 years tops.

What a meme. It didn't even pay profit. So fuck off.

Denmark has always been, is today, and will always be a self-centred, sorry piece of shit.

that doesnt count! that wasnt GLEAT BLITAIN!! IT WAS TOO RONG AGO!!

For fucks sake youa re so retarded it hurts. Luckily i got nothing else to do, so:

>HRE
Emperor didn't really give a fuck about the northern states for most of medieval, who was stopping Danish expansion there was Hansa

>British Isles
>too far away to bother with
>literally target of viking invasions throughout the whole medieval
>almost always more powerful, more populous and wealthy
1. British Isles weren't a united entity and perhaps the only state within them that was stronger than Denmark was England
2. Even England would be possible to conquer, but it was part of Angevin empire, which projected influence all over the Isles
3. Expansion in medieval happened through royal ties, and Plantagenet kings of England didn't give two fucks about marrying with nords

it was literally called the danelaw region because the danish king ruled it you stupid inbred motherfucker island monkey

Because it's full of Danes.

Round headed buffoons the lot of them.

So what, that doesn't stop the period from being insignificant in any possible way. Just because a period is called something doesn't make it important.

What?

Ever heard of the North Sea Empire and the Kalmar Union?
It's also consistently ranked amongst the best states in the world in 'the present'.

>to the south is the Holy Roman Empire, which they couldn't really fuck with without pissing off the vastly more powerful Emperor since Germany was much more populous then Denmark
Sure they could, because the HRE rarely fought as a unified force. What was far more common was that the various city sates fought against each other

you mountain trolls

Aside from Sweden which is a historically relevant nation, Scandinavians are the literal whos of Europe. Insignificant in everything.

>Aside from Sweden which is a historically relevant nation,
yeah, sure.

>they didnt have huge empire like grobe prussia they suck lol

It had an empire that raped the HRE and Poland, was extremely expansionist and it took Russia of all countries to finally stop them. Denmark has no history other than we wuz raiders n shiet, and Norway is the bitch mountain knockoff of Denmark.

>grobe prussia
>grobe

>150 years later Danes are still screeching about Prussia

norway definitely had a lot more impact than sweden
they discovered america, something that is a bit more respectable than burning a bunch of defenseless villages in HRE during chaos caused by protestant was or in Poland during chaos caused by war with cossacks, russia and traitor nobles

>discovered America
That had no impact on anything, considering nobody even knew about it until hundreds of years after Columbus.

>It had an empire
which consisted on Scandinavia.
You said Scandinavia was irrelevant.
Which had to be subsidized by France to fight the warthorn HRE.
Which forced France to enter into the war after Sweden had to face the actual power backing HRE.

It did do something significant, though.

Ummm, did you forget the Kalmar union? I wouldnt call that insignificant

Lego, that's it

It was.

>Scandinavian Yugoslavia

It really was. It was only stable for the first half decade or so that Margareta reigned. Then after that it was at constant war with itself, it broke apart everytime the king died because each of the scandinavian nations were elective monarchies and when different kings were chosen there was war and swedish peasants constantly rebelled against the high taxes.
One Kalmar king said fuck it and became a pirate after getting deposed.

*half century
my mistake.

Denmark is a small country with a low population.

So was Holland and Portugal (kinda)

>North Sea Empire

Norwegian

yes, they are just there, like many european countries

it's good though, many strong willed countries would cause problems

The Hanseatic league conquered fucking Copenaghe. Castile BTFO alone an anglo-hanseatic coallition and cucked the fuck out of them the trade with Flanders which was like stealing the golden pot.
And Denmark is the only country to lose twice in the 30 years war. Basically a nation of losers

>conquering a third world country a thousand years ago

The Angles, Jutes and Saxons locked faggot Danes into a chastity cage a thousand years ago and they've been looking for the key ever since.

and yet its still a nation

Denmark has tons of history, though. It just went into a decline after the 1650's, as many nations also did.
1520 with the Stokholm Bloodbath was the turning point, and started the rise of Sweden as the Northern great power.

And then everything just went to shit in the 1800's with the forced alliance with Napoleon and Prussian grossgermanium autism.

Denmark had the third largest navy in the world before the Brits burned it all down during the bombardement of Copenhagen.

And then Denmark basically fucked over the Hansa for good during the 1500's and they never recovered.

indeed, it was a navy that doubtless was the aim of napoleon in his grande scheme to invade the British Isles

can't have that

You mean after the Hansa completely destroyed the Kalmar union by helping to overthrow the Danish claims on the Swedish throne? Sure

>tfw just want comfy trade with the rest of Europe while everything burns
>TRADE WITH NAPOLEON??? IT IS NOT ALLOWED t. George
it's not fucking fair

The Kalmar Union wasn't "created" by Denmark anyway. It was the results of a series of, sometimes completely random events that led to it. It began when the Swedish king Magnus Eriksson inherited both the Swedish and the Norwegian crowns.

Yeah, the last desperate acts of trying to stay relevant in the Baltic.
The Hansa barely existed by the 1600's.

Denmark was already done by then

>A kingdom defeated a bunch of wealthy merchants after their fleet and main market got totally shut down by a third country
Geez you really showed me the power of Lamemark.Also unironically this lol

>a couple of wealthy merchants destroyed the Roman Empire
woah... so this is the power... of capitalism....

>Denmark had the third largest navy
Any source? I am pretty sure the Spanish and the Dutch had a way larger navy than Denmark

>Why did this country never amount to anything?

Danish slut married Russian tsar Alexander III and by whining about shitty Schleswig caused Russia and Prussia to break centuries-old unity which resulted in world war, revolution, disintegration of several empires, spread of communist ideology, decline of Europe and another world war. Insignificant, yeah... HIV virus is also 'insignificant'

Delusional.

She wasn't a slut

>when a small country is a part of the cause of world war one

As a Russian Empress she should have been thinking about interests of her new subjects first and not some shitty Schleswig. Even if that meant kissing ass of some Germs.

I can't really imagine a time when Denmark was anything more than a regional pest at best.

Ok thanks for sharing light on the subject, but even if the Kalmar union had no large scale effects, what about the Danelaw. Again that was more Sweden and Norway (I think) but to my knowledge werent the danes in control of some of it? And the viking conquest played a large role in shaping british culture and history. Anyway thanks for teaching me new stuff.

They managed to conquer an as yet disunited England and formed the North Sea Empire for a little while.

This. Danes never even managed to invent a language, much less anything of importance. All they do is drink beer and eat pork and go crush their nuts with bicycles all day until they become chubby traps to get culturally enriched by Svensker cock

Talking like Danelaw was a big deal is like making Mongol conquest of Russia a big deal, or the Gaulish sack of Rome a big deal. It's pure anachronism, all those countries were literal whos back then and not the powerhouses they became centuries later.

It might not be a great achievement in the taking of the territory but the fact remains it allowed greater than immediate power projection and influence than the Danes had ever had before. Most of the Roman provinces conquered was nothing like as hard as it would be centuries later.

I'm not an expert on the vikings but I would say that the danelaw is enough to have made Denmark at least somewhat historically relevant, and certainly very relevant at the time. When Cnut the Great formed the North Sea Empire he was one of the most powerful men in Europe, although that didn't last so long.
Also it was actually mostly Danes and Norweigans who conquered the British isles. Swedes during that time mostly went east, through Russia founding colonies along the Volga and eventually reaching the Black sea and the Byzantine Empire.

excellent answer & gave me a tingle, as well.
Risk, anyone?

ofc could you not say this for the Dutch?

The low countries have been the richest and most densely populated area in Europe since the middle age. Obviously they'd become influential once united.

SNAP
SNA
SN
N
A
P