Why didn't anyone else wear these? They're cool

Why didn't anyone else wear these? They're cool.

They were expensive as shit.

sweaty

i guess only the standard bearers would have
>(have forgotten their unit/latin name though)

Vexilarii

Is that because it would have to be custom made for each soldier?

>get smashed into face with blunt object
>0% of survival

>get smashed in the face with blunt object
>not wearing mask
>makes no difference

What was your point here? I'd like to have them anyways for minor nicks and projectiles.

>Why didn't anyone else wear these?
But user, face mask armors were used by basically everyone in Eurasia.
I mean they weren't common (but then they weren't common even for the most well known users, the late roman cavalry and their early medieval germanic copycats), but they existed.

Can't remember which one but some turkic people used them.

Took me a minute

More like raising a human face out of a flat sheet of metal is such a long and painstaking process, it's going to be expensive no matter if they're made to fit one guy or are a generic pattern.

Because some people look like this

Mutts?

I gave up trying to figure it out until you posted this

checked and good share

whats this source of this particular Calvary mask?

It doesn't seem to be commercially available as a reproduction

Because wearing a metal mask over your face all day isn't fun. Ornate shit like that is also expensive as hell

>Calvary
Why do Americans do this? It's cavalry not calvary. They're different.

Why not just make a generic mold and cast them all into that?

>cast metal armor

it's the opposite of reader's accent.
Reader's accent comes about when someone mispronounces a word because they've never heard it spoken, they've only ever read the word. It's the same reason why there's so many different modern pronunciations of Latin. Nobody could speak Latin. They all had to read it and then try to speak it.

Many people that come here don't read anything and only know words which they've been told as a result. Thus when they come here to talk about the histories they've never read about and only played video games concerning, they misspell these words based upon what they perceived the pronunciation to be.

There's probably a word for this phenomena, but I only know it as the opposite of reader's accent.

kek

The mask is a single piece, why couldn't you?

>casting armor
might as well wear pottery shards as armor dude

>might as well wear pottery shards as armor dude

I pictured that and burst out laughing for a good 30 seconds.

caste metal is brittle, the process to temper cast metal would be just as expensive as
and wasn't really known to the romans, its more of a modern process and even then its rarely used. any retard should know casting metal doesn't make for weapons/armor

I mean I think Orientals did that didn't they?

mochearmor.jpg

Hard to see

not that I know of but you never know with those strange slant eyes, they come up with some wierd stuff

though there was stone armor buried with qing shi haung

Isn't it more likely that the guy just inverted the letters while typing fast? I make that mistake fucking constantly.

it spell checked....

you went off on a rant about Americans and accents due to a spell checker.....

>expensive
>might as well submerge yourself in water
>obscures vision/hearing
>doesn't offer much more protection anyways
They literally existed to be noticed, and that's it.

just how common were these things? it's weird that they didn't come back on depictions of Romans until lately.

Some people just can't be this Veeky Forums

would it hurt if i took that off?

It would be extremely gross.

>Being so dumb you need a spell checker to write
American education

>spells color with a u

If you think about how the places of articulation move in "cavalry" (correct pronunciation), they move forward from C to V, back to L and forward again to the R. In the incorrect pronunciation, "calvary," C to L to V to R all moves forward (V to R is debatable), simplifying how you pronounce the word.

This sort of change makes complete sense, especially if you assume the speaker is someone who read the word as a child, and tried to sound it out - instead of the more complex, "correct" pronunciation, they get a simpler, arguably easier to say one. Then, when they try to produce the word in writing, they just spell it out from how they remember the pronunciation reinforcing the error.

>Why didn't anyone else wear these? They're cool.
It was literally an Iranic/Central Asian meme copied by Romans from Parthians/Sassanids whose elite cavalrymen wore armored face masks depicting their current King in battle.

>American is wrong
>immediately tries to impugn the person who pointed it out rather than simply accepting the fault and moving on
Alcoholism the country

>being American was the argument leveled against user
>Burger user pointed out the lack of argument and linguistic failing of poster
>so poster immediately accuses of Burger user of not addressing "arguments"
>despite the obvious hypocrisy behind poster to begin with

Wow user. You might actually be retarded.

Being American is enough

Yeah sure cast metal is brittle as fuck, but why not just have the face be cast. As long as the rest of the helmet is tempered it should be fine.

What about Saruman the wise?

>why there's so many different modern pronunciations of Latin

Maybe in the last century when teaching Latin was widespread. Today you're more or less just going to hear the Ecclesiastical Latin of the Catholic Church (the natural development of Latin pronunciation in Italy) and the received pronunciation used by scholars (sounds similar to what Romans would have spoken in Classical times). You may sometimes hear the English pronunciation, especially if you listen to Anglican choral music.

A dug up and pieced back together one sold at auction for like $12 mil a few years ago. Wouldn't it be weird if somewhere out there a family was still passing down an artifact from antiquity?

what do you mean nobody else wore face masks? a lot people did back in the day

>As long as the rest of the helmet is tempered it should be fine
Do you seriously think that you know fuck all about metalworking? You can't make iron castings that thin (1mm/16 gauge or so) and there'd be no point in "tempering" a helmet, whatever the fuck you think that means. Maybe you should google it

>depicting their current King in battle.
that's so fucking cool it made my heart bpm increase

You literally have autism.

was Ares /ourguy/?

Parade masks

> whose elite cavalrymen wore armored face masks depicting their current King in battle.

Does anyone have any source on this?

Why the fuck you wouldn't be able to cast them with bronze or brass anyway, or hell even hammer them but with the softer metal

It's not like roman had modern steel anyways, they had iron as shitty and soft as bronze most likely, so the mask would still be somewhat useful although discomfortable

This is the reason. People who expect to fight need to see more than the one thing directly in front of them. The mask was probably ceremonial and taken off for actual combat, similar to horsehair crests (though some generals had their troops leave those on).

>any retard should know casting metal doesn't make for weapons/armor

Soviets didnt think that when they made their super duper tanks user.

>in a hurry so use spell check quick
>shite spell check means im now American

bit of an oxymoron when you haven't got an answer for my original question

It's not like the mask would be very useful as armor either way

King Crimson?

Cumans I presume. I think the Cumans were the ones who wore masks like that,or at least I think s. Too many vidya have completely destroyed my brains nowdays...

this

YOU are retarded
>user mispells word
>anon2 calls him American
>user hides behind spellcheck as defense
>still fucked up
>still can't spell
>defense provides more fodder
>burgeranon btfo

but they did

Germanic tribes LOVED Cav masks, Sutton Hoo was likely very much inspired.

lol brainlet