Last Heir to the Roman Empire died in 2003

oh boy do I got a story for you Veeky Forums...

When did the last Emperor of Rome die? Let me rephrase, that; when did the last person who could, through ancestry, declare themselves the Emperor of Rome die?

Let me explain.

So everyone knows the Eastern Roman Empire lasted until 1453, when the Ottomans sacked Constantinople, renaming it to Istanbul.

Now, the final Emperor of the Eastern Roman Empire, Constantine XI, had siblings. By right, his title of “Emperor of Rome” was passed onto his nephew, Andrea. Andrea legally sold his dynastic title to Ferdinand II of Aragon and Isabella of Castille, but still died a pauper.

So that solves it then, right? Isabelle’s child, Ferdinand, is the new “Emperor of Rome”. Not so fast. The royalty line of the HRE is dead. So the rules of succession state that the crown must navigate it’s way back up.

See, Andrea had a sister, Zoe, who married Prince Ivan III of Russia. The Russians were thrilled to have the niece of Constantine XI as nobility, so much so that Moscow started to be called “The Third Rome”. Her grandson would be none other than Ivan the Terrible, and Russian monarchs would begin calling themselves “Czars” or “Tsars” in honor of Julius Caesar.

Now here’s where things get tricky. Up until this point the Russian Emperors have the best claim… then the soviet revolution happens. Congress Poland and Finland, wanting no part in this, become independent republics. Nicholas II, Tsar of Russia, is killed by the Bolsheviks. The story would end here…

(continued.)

Other urls found in this thread:

ludwell.org/new-world-grave-and-byzantine-emperors
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natalia_Brasova
youtube.com/watch?v=HJoHcajorow
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

HOWEVER; you’re forgetting about good old Princess Anastasia of Montenegro, whose name I solely remember because of “Sympathy for the Devil” by The Rolling Stones. She had children with George Maximilianovich, a grandson of Nicholas I. Now George was never a Tsar, but Anastasia remarried another grandson of Nicholas I, a man by the name of Nikolai Nikolaevich.

In 1922, Nikolai was temporarily recognized Emperor of Russia by the Zemsky Sobor, thus he is the last person to be officially recognized by the Russian government and people as a Tsar. This means Anastasia’s children are heirs to the title of Tsar, AND genetic descendents of Zoe/Constantine XI

So now you just follow the tree down. Anastasia’s daughter Elena married Stefan Tyszkiewicz, a Polish Noble, and they had one surviving daughter, Countess Natalia Tyszkiewicz. She was born in 1921, and spent most of her life in Geneva. She spoke Russian with her family and Swiss-German with everyone else.

I checked Wikipedia, secondhand accounts, firsthand accounts, Genevan Genealogical Databases… but I was unable to find any evidence she had a child. She died in Switzerland in 2003.

Good. With the line of Caesarian Tyrants ended the Republic might inally be revived

It's like a Dan Brown novel but better.

WE

With the adoptions of non-blood related successors and generals claiming to be the new Caesar taking power, doesn't this make all this shit completely irrelevant.

The Emperor of Rome is the one who claims it by force not by bloodrite.

>when did the last person who could, through ancestry, declare themselves the Emperor of Rome die?
>2003.
Factually wrong. There are still Habsburgs around after all. The Roman Empire fell in 1918

>By right, his title of “Emperor of Rome” was passed onto his nephew, Andrea
Uh sweetie the Patriarch of Constantinople made Mehmed the new Caesar, so your claim is irrelevant.

Seriously this. This is just some romantic Tolkinesque bullshit being imposed on a state that never gave a shit about it.

you really fkn type like a redditor OP
i cant read such trite

Can bastards be legitimized in these situations? Because surely one of them fucked a peasant or something

Acctually, this fella right here, Dùndar Ali Osman, is the rightfull sultan to the Ottoman Empire, and therefore also holder of the title Kayser-i-Rum. He's 87 years old though, so he might not be around for to long

How could anyone be the heir of Roman if the emperor still there?

Only meds can claim Rome, subhuman nordoid should kys

The Roman Empire was many times not inherited by bloodline.

So, theoretically, it went to the Emperors of Russia, until the revolution, where it went to the Finns.

>In 1922, Nikolai was temporarily recognized Emperor of Russia by the Zemsky Sobor
Now this is pretty meh. Since when does some parliament have that kind of authority?

More than tenuous. 3/10 for modest effort.

>rome fell just 14 years ago and nobody tried to stop it

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Byzantines were not Roman. Roman line of succession ended when the Justinian dynasty was overthrown.

Eating a Caesar's Salad and playing Roulette at Caesar's Palace doesn't confer the title of Caesar onto a person.

>Justinian's line was overthrown by Phocas
>Last time the senate in the city of Rome is mentioned is in the reign of Phocas, when they dedicate new statues to him

Hmm . . . .

>Princess Anastasia of Montenegro,
Serbs are real Rome confirmed

>I'm Roman because I say so
> don't believe those other people calling themselves Roman though, they're just LARPers
Also Ottomans didn't rename it Istanbul,
Istanbul is a word of Greek origin and only became the common name for the city after the Ottoman Empire fall.

They renamed it because they didn't like the Christian name so they bastardized a greek nickname which meant "in the city" or "is tin poli" which became "istanbul"

>ifunny.co
On another note, using word cuck is just a no-no

t Nordcuck

Kostantiniyye (Arabised name for Constantinople) was what the ottomans referred to city most as.
It was only renamed to Istanbul by the mordern turkish state.

Well, desu, between the neoclassicism, fetish for not surrendering, an unwarranted sense of superiority and ravaging half the world with the excuse of self-defense, they probably are the true successors.

rome is not a place or a person, it's a people. SPQR not REX PUBLICA, ok.

>The royalty line of the HRE is dead
You fucking what?

Finally someone!:D

Hold up, hold up, hold up.. what about Tsar Nicholas I -> Grand Duke Konstantin Nikolayevich -> Queen Olga of Greece who became that by marrying King George I of the Hellenes?

>unwarranted sense of superiority
If the modern U.S. and ancient Rome can't have a warranted sense of superiority then no one can

ludwell.org/new-world-grave-and-byzantine-emperors
>John smith spoke Greek
Woah

>tfw bulgars didn’t join the Russian empire

You lost me there.
How the fuck are people from rurikovich dynasty related to romanovs? pro tip: they arent because just because they had title of "tsar" (Which was also inspired by mongolian khans btw)

USA is Carthage

i love the stories of russian royality/people related to them
link related, wife of Michael potential successor to russian throne
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natalia_Brasova
>escape from Russia with your son
>By 1924, there was still no sign of Michael, and Natalia had him declared legally dead on 5 July 1924. She inherited his estate in Britain, which was valued at a mere £95
>To save money, in 1927 Natalia moved to Paris where living costs were less than in London
>George (her son) joined her in France, but he was killed after a car accident in 1931. She was at his bedside when he died, though he had not regained consciousness after the crash. She was emotionally devastated
>Natalia continued attempts to recover Michael's assets. The Polish government had seized Michael's Polish estate, and Natalia sued them for its return or compensation. By the Peace of Riga, the Poles were entitled to any imperial property in the former Russian Poland, but Natalia pointed out that Michael was already dead before the Peace, and so any of Michael's property in Poland was legally hers, as a commoner. In 1937, the court ruled against her.[106] In 1938, she did receive a pay-out from the German courts, when the Tsar's estate in Germany was shared between all his heirs, but hyper-inflation had reduced its value.[115] She continued to sell anything she could in a desperate attempt to raise cash.
>During World War II, Natalia and her daughter were separated as Natalia lived in Paris, and her daughter was in Britain. They were unable to communicate with each other until after the war, by which time Natalia was penniless and lived as a refugee in an attic box-room.[117] On 23 January 1952, she died of cancer at the Laënnec charity hospital in Paris in complete poverty, and was buried in Passy Cemetery

She couldn't have gone to live with the dowager empress in Denmark or something?

The last Roman emperor died in 476 AD

kek

Your nan died in 476 AD

The Empire wasn’t inherited by bloodline. As shown by its later history, anyone could claim to be the emperor and so they would be if they could get control. Therefore, I declare myself to be the true Roman Emperor, and all the Byzantines and claimants onwards to be usurpers.

I thought since the Spanish king “bought” the title from the last ERE emporer that the current king is technically the heir now.

Now that's cool

The first Romanov married a female rurikovich
>tfw British monarchy didn’t house everyone
No the king of Aragon bought it so technically not the current king who is of a disrupted line

+1 upboat my fellow kekistan pede narwhal bacon shadilay XDDDDD

Rome is dead user, I know it hurts, but I think it's about time we come to terms with it.

Real shit tho if a significant enough group of autists got together to coronate someone as "emperor of Rome" and had the power to make that actually mean something, whatever random fuck they chose would have about as much a claim if not more than all the other descendants of whatever noble family.

Doesn't that mean the Italian Republic is a legitimate successor to the Roman Republic?

It could be, if Italy had the desire to force everyone else to refer to them as the roman republican empire.

I'll buy this

>implying Trump has ever eaten a salad

>"tsar" (Which was also inspired by mongolian khans btw)

No it isn't you fucking retarded; it's from Caesar.

>when did the last person who could, through ancestry, declare themselves the Emperor of Rome die?

I am the Emperor of Rome - but its new capital is London.

youtube.com/watch?v=HJoHcajorow

>So everyone knows the Eastern Roman Empire lasted until 1453
retard

What the fuck is this nonsense?