The Decline of the United States of America

I am reading Gibbon's Decline and Fall, which I highly recommend every serious Veeky Forumstorian to read for pleasure and for knowledge
>but muh Gibbon is wrong
True, but get a book with corrections in the footnotes

Anyway aside from the whole Christianity destroying the Empire, another major tenant of Gibbon is that the Decline started after Marcus Aurelius.

Given the current political state of the United States, can we say it's the beginning of the Decline?

Take a look at Obama (Marcus)
>Obama is Marcus Aurelius the last good Emperor
>Obama is calculated
>scholarly
>a man of knowledge
>meditative

Now Trump (Commodus)
>showy
>watches TV for 8 hours a day (modern day gladiators)
>says stupid things
>country is in upheaval
>everyone hates him
>people are plotting his demise
>has a superinflated ego

Is the USA in Decline mode?

please don't

Obama was the guy who bailed out the big banks and destroyed two Islamic countries that Bush never touched so that ISIS could take over one and almost took over the other and reignited the Arab slave trade of Africans and caused the current migrant crisis right and meanwhile at home he used instances of criminals being shot to scapegoat whites and police to destabilize the country right?

>do not start threads about events taking place less than 25 years ago

Your thread is both stupid and uninformed, as well as rulebreaking.

Fuck you.

>comparing the rulers of a republic and an empire
>pfft they're the same thing

Marcus and Commodus are older than 25 years

You're completely retarded if you think either Trump is Commodus and Aurelius is Obama; neither of the have anything in common with their Roman comparison. You are blitheringly retarded.

Secondly, you're an even bigger retard for thinking the USA is at the "Empire" stage of the "hurr durr the USA is the Roman Empire!" comparison. One of the key tenets of this comparison is that the US is NOT at the Empire stage yet; it's still very far away from the unstable End of the Republic period.

I'm actually quite curious, did your mom drop you on your head or feed you paint chips as a child? Or was it both?

>Secondly, you're an even bigger retard for thinking the USA is at the "Empire" stage of the "hurr durr the USA is the Roman Empire!" comparison. One of the key tenets of this comparison is that the US is NOT at the Empire stage yet; it's still very far away from the unstable End of the Republic period.

What do you mean? The Republic period ended after the Civil War. Just like the Roman Republic, the Civil War resulted in more Federalism

>This board is dedicated to the discussion of history and the other humanities
>For the purpose of determining what is history, please do not start threads about events taking place less than 25 years ago.
Marcus is quite old

>Implying we're not just past the Punic Wars and in the age of the Gracchi

Trump and Obama are not.

fuck off hall monitor

>Obama
>Marcus Aurelius

You're so retarded it fucking hurts

So, you only need some nazi referencees to make it the quintaessential Veeky Forums thread?

Yeah this was easily one of the top five most painful OP posts I've ever read

It's too late to apologize.
IT'S TOO LATE.

Gibbon is literally gay retarded trash
Hang urself

1. This post is rulebreaking.
2. Read Decline of the West by Oswald Spengler and see the real truth of the US' decline.

>boohoo he makes fun of us chr*stians

So many triggered /pol/weenies itt. OP is right and you know it

put me in the screencap

it's a work of literature. it's quite enjoyable to read unless you're a brainlet

>Read Decline of the West by Oswald Spengler and see the real truth of the US' decline.
Can I get a quick rundown?

>Whites
>In America
Shiggy

Shits fucked and whigs are fags

We literally are at the end of the republic stage; Trump is basically Marius

Oh cool, here I thought you were a huge fucking cocksucker talking about Obama and Trump. Carry on not talking about Obama and Trump.

>Shits fucked and whigs are fags
In the pantheon of "quick rundowns", that may be the quickest and most run down ever.

>want to discuss Obama and Trump
>add a thin veneer of history to post
>they wont even notice!

>Anyway aside from the whole Christianity destroying the Empire,

Which is total horse-shit. The real cause is the Crisis of the Third Century, and the Western Roman Empire not recovering from it, then not being able to pay for their empire and defense, then getting invaded by various tribes. The Eastern Half was Christian and survived until the Ottomans.

Declines and rises of Empires are ALWAYS boring shit like the economy, the climate, etc. Putting blame on "moral character", and personalities is an older method, back when less was known about these periods. We don't need these explanations anymore.

>He doesn't like Trump
Go back to leftypol, soyboy

>The real cause is the Crisis of the Third Century, and the Western Roman Empire not recovering from it, then not being able to pay for their empire and defense, then getting invaded by various tribes
Gibbon doesn't say it's the real cause but the Crisis started close after Commodus