Learn me on Sparta Veeky Forums

Learn me on Sparta Veeky Forums

What are some good essential texts? I've been reading some Plutarch but he's a total Spartaboo that claims they dindunuffin. Why did they treat the helots like shit?

the helots were simply their slaves
>ancient era
>military state
>all teen-adult men as soldiers
>women stay
>not having "loyal" slaves as defenders while all the teen-adult male citizens go to war
p.s spartans despised the concept of a united greece

>p.s spartans despised the concept of a united greece
stagnation often accompanies unification, you stop getting innovation. spartas very heavy handidly responsible for the success of the west, when it was most critical, in the beginning.

>success of the west
>the west
>a useful concept in antiquity
haha ok

>my ancestors were shit cunts

>shittalk Macedonia when it was busy conquering the rest of Greece and getting ready to take on the largest empire the world had seen that time
>get absolutely BTFO in a couple of hours when the real war started

yup, thats the spartan way of life.

Tyrtaeus then Thucydides and Xenophon

also Herodotus before you start with Thuc/Xen

This

After you're done with those four (they're long, and Xenophon has multiple texts you need to read), decide if you want more. The remaining contemporary 5th/4th texts are minimal. The attic orators speak about them at length (one of Isocrates speeches is for a Spartan King, for example, and many others speak about Sparta as well as the 30). You can also find helpful snippets in Plato and Aristotle. Like I said, though, you're approahing the end of the line in terms of contemporary information.

Are you sure you read Plutarch? He's not a spartaboo so much as he likes relating scandalous stories and interesting accounts of them. Also, I assume you just read his Lives, in which case he wants to stress people's virtues and vices so he can discuss and compare them. Finally, and may Allah forgive me for saying this word, he is a Boeotian.

But it’s what Herodotus writes about tonnes
First Phoenicians vs Greek
Then Trojan’s vs Greek
Then finally Persians (lord of all the Asians) vs Greek

Because the Spartans claimed to be foreigners (WE WUZ SEA PEOPLES) and the helots were native Greeks captured in battle, thus hated because they had not died a glorious battle in death but surrendered

innovation and sparta don't go together

You're responding to a Christian, his real goal is to claim that there was no West until Christianity became the dominant religion, therefore Christianity is somehow an inherent and necessary part of the West. This point will then be used in an attempt to eliminate any vision of the West that lacks a strong basis in Christianity, claiming that what is described is not really Western.

It's ultimately ab attempt at dishonestly cancelling out competing views of the West where his hebrew mythology is not given pride of place. Be ever vigilant.

THIS

Didn't Alexander strip the ornate breastplates of defeated Persian cavalry and write "a gift to all Greece, except the Spartans" because Sparta was way too far up it's own ass to join the Hellenic alliance under Macedon?

>Alexander sent 300 Persian armours to the Parthenon of Athens as an oblation to Athena, with this epigram: "Alexander, son of Philip, and the Greeks, except of Lacedaemonians, from the barbarians who live in Asia"

hey dumbass you're both wrong
there was no west until islam provided an Other for the west to self-construct an identity

learning history this old might as well be reading fantasy

You are all wrong. There wasn't a west until after the Fall of the Iron Curtain. Bevor everything was just south and north but as soon as poor people started coming to the rich countries there suddenly appeared a concept of east and west.

Bronze Age reads like fantasy more that Spartan history does.

THIS (board really is underaged)

>he prefers autistic modern history

lmao what did I tell you, a dishonest christian doing everything he can to keep hebrew mythology relevant.