Is history linear or cyclical?

Is history linear or cyclical?

Linear, since, you know, the properties of time are linear.

Ignore the pretentious art student faggots that try to elevate history to some deep philosophy, quasi-scientific study.

Read Peter Turchin idiot

>Linear, since, you know, the properties of time are linear.
You're such a brainlet.

how would we measure time between two areas if a lot of things happened in a place lower in gravity than a place high in gravity

it's non-linear 4d topography

>the properties of time are linear
then why is space-time curved?

Depends on what scale you you look.

Metaphysics proves that everything will eventually repeat, so it's cyclical.

Another brainlet.

Is this the average Veeky Forums user?
Are we on a Chinese I.t forum debating on which, the Swedes or the Poles are subhuman with our newfound language skills?

It's 4D chess MAGAkek

Hope you enjoyed making that post, because you will eventually make it again.

Time dilation.

>Are we on a Chinese I.t forum
Yes, I have no doubt about this based on the amount of China dick-sucking that goes on here.

You have no clue about metaphysics nor the nature of the world. The chance of that is as slim as god existing.

STEMfags out

I have good news for you then, the gods do exist.

If you're thinking about history of man and civilization it's obviously linear.

If you're thinking about the history of space-time without man most of it, then it might be circular.

Both

>Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History" is a collection of malleable interpretations of events that are mostly understood from vastly and wildly unreliable sources.

The flow of space/time is linear.
The repetition of thematic trends is somewhat cyclical.

Good Day Sir.

Ok but the last two are literally correct. Time is just a measurement of something else.

Actually it's like a spiral

It is cyclical in nature but each moment is different from the previous one, giving it a "linear" part. Therefore it's like spring

b8

It's hyperbolic, as described by the Minkowski metric

Is the universe a closed system or an open one?
There's your answer.

We are not talking about natural history here.

Everything is natural history. If you only wanted to talk about a small portion of it you should have specified.

Human history is not natural history. Just like natural sience is not social science.

Social science is built upon the foundation of natural science.

الرض لهذا السوءال يعتمد علی إحتماليۃ حرب نوٰوي و إمكانيۃ البشر علی النجاء و فعليۃ التطور المستمر من بعده

Yes but, lets say it has to be treated differently. Gravity and electrons haven't explained sociology/psychology/antropology/whatever you want to call it yet.

>history narratives
nice meme

Not in a useful way at least.
But like I said, the OP didn't specify.

>But like I said, the OP didn't specify.
But I'm OP myself. I simply thought you guys wouldn't give a damn about natural history.

Both and neither. History is shaped more like a spiral.

The course of civilization keeps coming back around to similar a place, but when it does, history has moved forwards and you're never quite repeating the events of the past.

It's Klein Bottle-shaped

If natural history is cyclical, which it probably is, then by extension human history is also cyclical. You're just talking about longer timescales.
It seemed at least partially relevant to this thread.

>he course of civilization keeps coming back around to similar a place, but when it does, history has moved forwards and you're never quite repeating the events of the past.
Tell me more, can you give concrete examples?

History is neither linear nor cyclical, it is dialectic.

I’m other words, it is the messy lurching of human society from one extreme to the next, running an ideal to its logical conclusion, and learning through trial and error what works and what doesn’t.

History doesn’t double back on itself, but it does have a rhythm, a tempo set by naturalistic forces like ecological and economic conditions as human society dialectically shifts from one set of ideals which have run their course to the fresh new ones which are still idealized and haven’t yet run up against concrete reality.

Sexual morality is a fine example, lurching towards extreme prudishness in the Victorian era (where even words like “breast” or “leg” were considered obscene) to the free love movements of the 20th century (which saw the rise of broken households and antibiotics-resistant STDs) and society is gradually returning to a conservative middle ground which combines the lessons learned in both eras.

but muh coke can, muh true detective muh rust

Not really. You can have a number with a trillion billion repeating digits and then, up to infinity, have the same digits as far as the mind can comprehend.

Absolute repetition is not a necessary requirement for a system, let alone whatever governs our slice of reality.

>history is cyclical

>infantile shitposting without arguments
You sure showed them.

There is no law governing history.

history is exponential

Life is just one long day with lots of little breaks in it.

history is linear and cyclical
where's my nobel peace prize

I think it's shaped like one of those bird drawings that's why people say time flies

Gravity can't reverse the flow of time

History is a network of individual events and trends. It cannot be modeled as a single thing, and should not.

FPBP

It's cylindrical

It is a series of playing cards stacked on top of each other, one after the other

''History'' is nothing more than a bunch of evolved apes killing and raping each other. Nothing more, nothing less.

We humans like to think that history is cyclical, but this stance is appealed to for the sake of constructing thematic standards and structuring societies and cultures accordingly. The purported cycles of history necessarily derive from and serve moral considerations.

Whether a reality exists entirely independent of the human condition would entail a linear history. Cyclical history is a myth, although a useful fabrication.

those aren't mutually exclusive. It linear set of varying cycles

Time is linear and relative. Linearity refers to dimentionality, while relativity refers to how fast times moves relative to other positions. Regardless of how fast time moves, it always moves in one direction.

Time pretty obviously moves in 2 directions.

>ubuntu

>Is history linear or cyclical?
Helical.