Price of books

Is there any info on the price of books over time?

Epictetus (AD 55 – 135) says a book costs 5 Denarius. Is that a lot?

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2320210/Man-copies-Bible-hand-working-14-hours-day-years.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Is that a lot

If i remember my breakdown right a single Denarius was 4 sestertii or 16 assarii.

Which would be quite high for the average plebian as most didn't work for a salary or have any real common wage. It a about costly for those that did though.

For example a legionary had a yearly salary of about 225 denarii. Which means that a single book was about 2% of their yearly pay. So just extrapolating those numbers into something more contemporary, it would be the equivalent of $400 if you had a $20,000 salary. Which is a little pricey. Unfortunately i don't know the cost of every day items and general cost of living off the top of my head to make that more relative.

Around 1550, the price for a Froschauer bible in Zurich was 6-7 pounds, a master craftsman would earn 8 Shillings a day, so the price of one bible would equal to two weeks wages or more. For a fellow who earned 5-7 shillings a day this was 3-4 weeks wages.

>literally hand copy books

Did the idea that maybe, maybe, there might be a better way never occur to them? A press would seem intuitively obvious to me.

What have you invented?

>A press would seem intuitively obvious to me.
Aha, very interesting. Would it also be obvious to you that you first need a paper manufacturing and water powered paper mills to produce reasonable priced paper, or would you print your books on expensive as sin parchment?

Paper and mills are also super obvious. River can spin things! Trees and other plants can be ground up to make sheets of writing stuff!

There's a lot of ancient and medieval tech that is way beyond me, but those would be obvious.

In that case I fully agree with my colleague and I'm looking forward to all the mindblowing, society changing inventions you dear genius is gonna make.

>people like this exist

My money is on single child by single mom. Dad / older sibling would have beaten the smartass out of him in time.

Not true actually, i am a younger sibling and i am an arrogant bitch

>Did the idea that maybe, maybe, there might be a better way never occur to them? A press would seem intuitively obvious to me.

The cunts who made the first printed books- The Chinese- had been doing a form of woodblock printing/stamping since the 220 AD. However, these were mostly for artwork. They were unwittingly printing text since Chinese paintings often contained poetry and they carved those as well.

The idea of printing a book however only showed up in the 800s AD. With the movable type showing up in 1000s AD in Song China.

It literally took people a millenia to realize printing written works.

Somewhere I read about the economics of books and literalization of society. Europe had something like a hundred million printed books by 1600. They couldn't have been prohibitively expensive.

> Trees and other plants can be ground up to make sheets of writing stuff!
Oh yeah, boiling trash left over from building is obviously a solution to writing problems.

You are putting the cart before the horse, people don't bother inventing things until necessity demands. The reading meme hadn't spread to enough people where making books easier and cheaper to produce would be a priority. Also human labor for most of history has literally been the the low-low cost of giving them room and board and trade mentoring.

>That Wojack

unironically a way to conserve power by 60% by rerouting electricity through a microwave and a detachable outlet.
I assume it's 60% since that's how much the electric bill went down since I started doing it.

So your using your microwave as an over current protection device?
Seems pretty dangerous to save 40$ a month.

hey bro, it works.
They smart people make money, look at me, making money.

Im an electrician, and the only people I see doing shit like that are niggers.
There are plenty of easy ways to lower your electric bill without endangering your life.

A vast majority of house fires started are electrical fires, and its mainly when uneducated people do electrical work on their home.

The electrical field is one of the few fields where it isnt just purely about money, safety is a huge part of it.

It is hard to "realize" something until the means to do it are widely available. It's only after enough people have access to something that different perspectives about how to use it can emerge and revolutions in thought occur. This is why trade is so important for fostering new ideas.

shit, please tell me what do?
am white and like to play engineer at home

>Jan 1, 2014 - For example an average Roman soldier was paid one Denarius for each day of service.Each Denarius was 1/10th of an ounce or about $2.70 a day which is equivalent to the world's average daily pay. That valuation lasted for hundreds of years for basic labor.

silversufferer.com/?p=454

So basic mathematics tells us that a book is worth 5 days of labour, or half an ounce of silver.

So in todays silver back then a book cost $8.50.

Or in labour, last labour job (2012) I worked I got paid 22 AUD an hour, for 8 hours a day. Meaning that a book cost in real terms back then (in todays dollars) $880 (AUD).

So in 2012 Australian labour, 880 dollars.
In 2018 silver, 8.50.

Do shit in your garage. When I was first learning I started doing work in my garage to get the hang of it.
Its a much safer work environment.
Dont work on anything with live power going to it. Even most professionals dont unless they are lazy or its an industrial setting where they have to.

For saving power, its all kind of simple shit that is pretty basic. Keep all lights turned off when not in use, avoid changing the inside temperature of your house frequently.
Avoid space heaters and other devices that are very power intensive.
The whole light bulb thing imo doesnt really mean shit. The majority of electrical usage is from AC units, fridges, computers, stuff like that.

How much time did copying a book by hand take?

Someone tried to copy the Bible recently, took him 4 years of up to 14 hours a day of copying.

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2320210/Man-copies-Bible-hand-working-14-hours-day-years.html

Not all books are as big as the Bible, though, and they were copied by multiple people. Though you also have to factor in time for various decorations.

It really depends of course, an illuminated manuscript could take one monk his whole life, but if you were just copying it as fast as possible without worrying about it looking good it would still take a skilled scribe weeks or months for really big books.

The had the press long before that, moveable letters was the invention dear genius.

Better be baiting