Did the civil rights movement kill America's enthusiasm for manned space flight?

>"America is sending lazy white boys to the moon because all they're doing is looking for moon rocks. If there was work to be done, they'd send a nigger." - Joseph Hammonds

>We were coatless, standing under a cloudy sky, with distant thunder rumbling, and a very light mist of rain occasionally falling. After a good deal of chanting, oratory and lining up, the group marched slowly toward us, singing “We Shall Overcome.” In the lead were several mules being led by the Rev. Abernathy, Hosea Williams and other leading members of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference. The leaders came up to us and halted, facing Julian [Scheer] and myself, while the remainder of the group walked around and surrounded us….One fifth of the population lacks adequate food, clothing, shelter and medical care, [Rev. Abernathy] said. The money for the space program, he stated, should be spent to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, tend the sick, and house the shelterless. - Account of Ralph Abernathy, successor to Martin Luther King as head of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference

Please remember to keep it to 25 years or older.

Neither of them look hungry at all.

Sort of. It helped manifest the whole "why do X when poor people are poor." It's also leading us to sit on this stupid planet rather than building a space station and roaming the galaxy.

Reading the about the civil rights movement made me really racist, bros.

Arguments could be made that funding NASA was more beneficial, and a better thing to do, than feeding and clothing the poor.
Which is not to say that nobody should help those in need, just that from a governmental/nation standpoint, the possible technological breakthroughs and societal/nation/country advancement were more valuable than feeding and clothing the poor.

Why?

What killed the space program was NASA and the Obama administration. My father in law who now works at sikorsky who used to work for NASA summed it up as:

>Columbia disaster happens
>NASA says they'll need more $$$ to make new generation of rockets
>Bush authorizes it
>Obama becomes President
>Immediately reorganizes NASA to become less-technology focused, more focused on community outreach & media campaigns for things such as climate change awareness
>NASA always demands more $$$ each year and claims if they don't they're doomed
>Obama's new execs all tell NASA that shuttles are too unsafe and expensive, make disposable craft instead. Pretty much shelve next-gen shuttle program without officially doings o
>NASA still wants more $$$, say that without it they can't keep the existing shuttles servicable and it would mean that until disposable craft are made, they'd have no means of getting into space
>Obama says no
>NASA bluffs. "Fine, I guess we'll scrap everything then because we don't have the money for it". America simply won't be able to get into space anymore!"
>Every other previous President would have folded to this concept, but Obama really doesn't care about american strategic interests or exceptionalism so he calls their bluff
>Shuttles scrapped
>NASA says "how do we get into space now?"
>Obama says use Russia, after all they're our friends since I pressed the reset button
>After 2016 election Russia becomes the big bad again, near overnight
>NASA: well this didn't work out well
>Now in a blind blitz to restore space capability again under Trump who has slashed the climate change funding.

and that is the story of how america lost the ability to go into space

Both of them look fat, especially for the 60s.

There’s been a bunch of funding given to the Space Corps. Or planned to be given to the Space Corps.
So, maybe America can into space again in the near future?

Speaking of the so-called Civil Rights Movement. It was a sham a sham from the beginning. The Civil Rights Movement was lead and funded by George Soros who wanted to demonize the South and make all white people look bad. there was nothing wrong with segregation blacks were equal I love black people. I'm not racist I love black people I really do but I could not get behind these George soros-funded protests in the 1960s. Martin Luther King was a communist and he was supported by the likes of George Soros. It's just it in disputed fact. I mean I like black people but also I like Law and Order and Harmony as well.

>there was no segregation, blacks were equal

I hope this is b8

Donald, is that you?

We have private companies that can, again, launch from Russia and Central Asia. "America" doesn't need to go to space.

Oh no this is not bait, there was segregation but liberals exaggerated how bad it was and blacks were treated equally. Just pointing out a fact that it was George Soros that funded the Civil Rights Movement in order to demonize white people and to tear apart America.
I'm just pointing out the truth about George Soros and the Civil Rights Color Revolution. Like I said nothing against black people I love black people I have a lot of black friends I actually went out with a lot of black people in my hay day. I mean I love them I really do love them honest to God I love them. I'm not racist I love them. But the truth is desegregation is something that George Soros supported. And George Soros was behind the Civil Rights Movement in the 1960s. He was he really was.

>liberals exaggerated how bad it was and blacks were treated equally
Holy shit
You realize you are spouting a literal meme?
>Separate, but equal
Vintage memes!

Blacks have actually doomed manned space travel.

Space exploration died because the Soviet Union stopped being relevant, the entire reason the US went to the moon was to showboat the Soviets after they launched Sputnik and got a cosmonaut into space. Go learn history and go back to /pol/

Communists trying to help the Soviet space program out-compete the US program. Nothing new, just subversion.

>You realize you are spouting a literal meme?

Yes, he does.

How exactly do you plan to "roam the Galaxy" without ftl? Get real.

>american strategic interests or exceptionalism
I get the second one but does NASA contribute to 'american strategic interests'?

American strategic interests include space.

No slavs did.

>not using rocket tech to deep strike navy seals in benghazi
this is why bill clinton was our 2nd worst presidnet

Cute blog of lies

Maybe if baby bush hadnt intentionally murdered the economy it wouldnt have been so hard to fund

He’s baiting you retard

The space program is an investment. Social support programs are an expense. They're not the same thing.

Soros was born in 1930. Let's say the civil rights movement began in 1955. Was Soros already wealthy enough at 25 to fund it?

Lies, nasa has been chronically underfunded since the end of the cold war

He was wealthy as a teenager because he kept part if the wealth he took from Jews when he was working for Nazis. He openly admits this. It's not like it's a fringe thing.

But the above poster is retarded in blaming him for the civil rights stuff. That was mainly Communist funded because the usual tactic of agrarian reform leasing to uprising doesn't work in America.

Because how dare those colored folk demand equal rights :(

Access to white people is not a human right.

>access to white women* is not a human right.

Like what? Start a family? Start a business? Vote?
Blacks had equal rights but what they always wanted was more white people stuff. Welfare from whites. Moving into white communities. Demanding jobs a better qualified white person would have, etc.

You could actually get attacked or murdered if you wanted to vote in the South. IT was a very common thing

Obama killed the constellation program cause it was trash the orion program took what was good and kept it and threw out the garbage it still was going to be years until constellation came up with anything

basically yes