Financially speaking, is college worth it?

Financially speaking, is college worth it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=it0StsIvrAo
youtube.com/watch?v=h_kIajrJUMc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Financially speaking
No.

Holy fuck no
t. Junior

If you aren't retarded, sure. But if you're actually smart you can make it without college.

Obviously results depend on where you go and what you study, but all the data still shows that college is worth the investment. Anecdotes don't defeat evidence. This board is good for getting the occasional tip on a new coin, but if you buy the "passive income" meme (unless you're starting with some giant inheritance, in which case you wouldn't be asking this question), you're gonna have a bad time. You'll need some money to invest in the first place.

College is alot more than just taking classes. There's so many fucking resources you can take advantage of on campus that can help you with side projects or employment.

Yes as long as you go to CC for first 2 years, transfer to a reasonably priced university, bonus points if you can save money by living at home. But most people just go to an expensive as fuck 4 year university right out of HS and end up raking in an insane amount of debt. Also major in something that isnt complete shit and you should be fine desu

Exactly. Even people who are brilliant and don't "need" college often meet their future business partners there and pick up some useful knowledge before dropping out. It also depends on what you want to do. I'm a lawyer and that's a job that, for better or worse, they won't let you do without the degrees.

Fuck no to the tech college meme and get a comfy trade job at 22 its awesome pissing boomers off on a daily basis with bants

australian detected

Depends on whether you major in electrical engineering or art history.

this

Am burger

If you want to laze around for years having a cool social life it's okay, but financially it's usually a bet that takes decades to pay off. You're probably better off getting a head-start and just starting whatever it is you want to do and have a head-start on the broke graduates years later.

In europe it is always worth it.

if you were spending your money on a college education in 2011 you spent your money on a jewish school to tell you about shit you can just look up on your own AND you didn't buy bitcoin at 1$

nice education

no

For a burger, it depends. You have to choose your degree very carefully and work at the same time to off-set the debt as early as possible. It'll take you a decade after graduating to get even but you'll earn more supposedly.

In Europe, you really are a moron if you don't go to college. I have 2 undergraduate degrees and a masters. How much did it cost me? Less than 10k

>take university money
>invest in crypto
>learn how to play the market
>walk out 4 years later richer than people in college

Depending on degree, yes it is. You will make a lot more in the long run and not be locked into shitty dead-end factory jobs.

A lot of kids on here who are just entering the workforce like to romanticize blue-collar jobs, but let me tell you as someone who spent five years in and out of several manufacturing jobs, they are not worth it. I have even had old people at those jobs chastise me for working there.
>What are you doing here, user? You should be in school! Don't do what I did. It isn't worth it!

Going to college translates into more than just a financial perspective though. You'll get access to experiences and people you'll never have the chance to otherwise.

Money is just money. You earn it, you spend it. Unless you're living on the street, if you can afford going to college, do it.

College is unironically one of the best possible investments you can ever make.

>Can leverage nearly any degree to make more money
>Many companies will LITERALLY pay more to people with degrees even if they do the same job as their degreeless coworkers
>Many HR departments require any degree to even get past the filter
>Tons of networking, recruitment, etc opportunities on campus

Sounds like coping for missing out on smart investments while you watched stacy get fucked by chads

Joined the US. Army It is now. They pay me to go to school after 2 tours in Kuwait.

in europe you get drunk for 3-5 years and then you can earn 30 - 100% more than non academics because you have a degree. Costs you nothing if you're poor. If you live in burgerica you get ripped off. and you dont even get waisted that often. do a proper degree though. not arts

yeah as long as you don't die for literally no reason, the US army is a fucking great choice
nah i value my own life way too much to risk it in some sand land

I also took my untaxed deployment money and invested like half of it in bitcoin when it crashed in 2013... at 500... then it dropped to 200 lol. I sat on 75btc for a long time, Now I am happy.

All these black and white answers, jeeze

Firstly, it really depends what country and therefore how much debt you're taking on vs how much unique opportunity it will afford you, I csn only speak for Canada myself, which is somewhere between American and European education but closer to the American system.

Secondly your major really matters, no shit, opression studies and mech engineering will have different outlooks, go figure.

Nobody wants a job, really we want money obviously, but wouldn't it be great if you had so much money you didn't need a job, but had a job just because you liked it so much? If you're really interested in something (4real) and it happens to be a high paying uni major, you should go. If not, then no, don't bother.

I have a great paying summer job in fort mac. My coworkers and I all invest aggressively and take on a lot of risk, paying off amazingly so far, bitcoins and weed stocks causing a few obscenely early retirements. I only work for 3 months and then I go back to school while those knuckleheads keep raking in mounds of dough. I'll likely never catch up to them, but I will have a career that actually feels like my purpose and gives me satisfaction, and I'll also be at least moderately wealthy.

So yeah for most people probably don't go, but it's not quite that simple. In some cases it can be worth it but if you're just about the money then you'd have to be retarded to think uni was the best choice.

Short term: no
Long term: yes
Only people who disagree are people who didn't go to college

They're not mutually exclusive.

Very dependent on region: cant realt comment for usa but imagine itd similar to uk. Tldr: only worth it if top school.

UK: literally study whatever the fuck you like, but do it at a top university. Ox/cambs/lse/ucl etc. Its a fair point that 90% of real wealth creation happens in London and entry level jobs there require a degree (worthwhile jobs).

Usa, imajne similar. FFS dont do some shitty liberal art degree at a dhit college. Thats a waste of time. Get a great name on CV, or dont bother.

t. Investment banker, studied politics.

I did this, not sure I recommend it. Many classes won't transfer from a community college to a major university. My 2 years of CC equaled about 1 year at the university.

>Financially speaking, is legoland worth it?
depends on if you will enjoy the rides or not

i went to a local school for the first year, had 1/2 scholarship, and made sure all my credits would transfer to the next university.
spent another 4 years at big university, overall $50,000 in rent and tuition. i worked part time.
got an engineering job making $40k starting.

Then you're one of the retards that shouldn't go to college. Why the fuck would you not make sure classes transfer? That's the first thing I did before going to CC, to make sure they transfer.

Let's see..

>doesn't cost anything
>opens many doors

Yes, it was definitely worth it.

depends.

if u lucky ducky then no.

40k per year put into college. at the end you get the opportunity to work for someone else the rest of your life.

put that money into successful cryptos. i.e. ethereum pre-cumshot, waltonchain pre-jizz, any non-shit ico listing. easy 3-10x gains.

source: have bachelor's in accounting because its the stupid person degree

Not all of us have the luxury of a free ride Mohammed

What did you take?
Planning on being a physio. Not entirely sure if I should continue, though. B.Kin degrees are nearly worthless.
My school tuition is paid for, though. So it would be stupid to not go.

yes cuz college is free and you get awesome jobs

oh wait you're from america

All these anons acting like you can't go to college AND invest in crypto. College is still worth the investment if you do it right (right school, right price, right major). The anti-college meme is way overblown and not backed by data.

Why is it always americlaps which push the college is a waste of money meme when it makes the biggest difference in income in burgerland?

all these butthurt NEETs in this thread.

Look at it like an annuity. If you pay in 10k a year for 4 years, even with 6% interest on a loan, and then for the rest of your life you make 50k/year, it pays itself off very quickly. That doesn't even account for raises, promotions, salary increases over time.

when you compare that to making 35-40k/year without college, it quickly becomes worth it over time - without even considering that you'd likely be suck at 35-40k a year forever.

>inb4 opportunity cost
I'm making 60k a year while in college, trading in my spare time.

college is worth it only if you make contacts that will help you get a job later on. your grades, your degree, means jack shit.

>Financially speaking, is college worth it?

Yes. Although done the wrong way, no.

Attached is a chart from the government. Those with a Bachelors have a higher median income than those without.

I work in IT. I started work without a degree, which barred me from jobs requiring one. Even jobs with a strict requirement would ask me about it. Now I have one.

Going to a $40,000 a year school to learn basket-weaving is not worth it unless your parents are rich and paying for it, and you like basket weaving.

Going, maybe on nights and weekends, maybe to one class a semester, to a good, inexpensive public college, and learning a STEM subject in an area you enjoy can be worth it.

Even STEM can be tricky - I know people with physics doctorates and biology masters who are doing computer programming now. Which is what I do. If you want to get a job making money, look into this.

Also - even into my early 40s I was completing my CS degree. Some of the kids there are under the impression the grade and diploma is all. No. It is about actually reading the shit and understanding it. And then going off and programming in it and fucking with it. It is about making connections with professors and other students. It is about internships. A lot of CS majors were doing very little non-school programming on their own, and those people probably do not have a bright future in IT.

youtube.com/watch?v=it0StsIvrAo

Dude an entire college degree on Venezuela (which has a pretty good PRIVATE education system) costs like ~$1400
Yes you heard me, $1400 for 5 fucking years of college and that's if you get on the most expensive one.

Not really unless you use it well.
E.g. to make connections.
Go for a couple of years, learn the basics, become friend with professors in the field you want to work in

Depends entirely on what you do. Most STEM majors are worth it.

Do what I did, joined the military for the Post 9/11 GI bill, only signed up for 4 years, while I was in i went to school all 4 years (minus some of the time from training) while it all was paid for by tuition assistance. I knew I wasn't staying in so I didn't care for my job and did only what I needed to and focused all my time on school. Then I got out, moved to an expensive area and got a housing allowance while going to school for another 3 years. You just can't finish your first degree just get close to finishing it and then change to another.

Tldr, 2 degrees for free

I am in applied mathematics, starting to wonder if I should have gone for something with engineering.
Can a kind user give me some insights on math degrees vs engineering degrees?

no way man. college is for the blind. truth can only be found on the internet. look at all people blind stuck in matrix thinking a degree is important and 40 years go past stuck ina job. if your life depends on somehow thinking you need a job you will always be a slave. a robot in a few years. do not do it. you need balls to break free. say fuck you media, say fuck you banks, say fuck you government. break free from the chains, NEO! Get all the money you can and turn it into cryptocurrency. You will be rich. - ive tried college doing business, i got bored and sold drugs instead for big money, then done some accounting course as well but kept on selling as i liked money... got jobs in good places and even bad places, its all the same. fake fucking people wasting their time in the matrix and nothing changes in a year. TAKE THE RED PILL AND WAKE UP BROTHER

Most CCs have programs that feed into your local state university. Not sure why you wouldn't make sure every class you take counts as a transfer credit if you planned on transferring after 2 years...

> 4 year BSc in Computer Science.
> Left college debt free
> Europe

Maybe 20 years ago.

Today? Probably not. You've got about 10 years before that peace of paper is useless and the education system changes.

Anyone have experience buying fake degress from shitty online colleges to get an entry level job?

Absolutely not and I have a degree and work at a huge corporation making 6 figs

>ITT burgers in debt complaining about their shit education

>How much did it cost me? Less than 10k
>Opportunity cost
>50% taxes to pay for "free education"

>be me
>BS in Mathematics
>any job I want
>$300k starting

If you're a burger NO.

Otherwise if you get a STEM degree? YES

and on that note, only 30% of humans are supposed to go to college. The rest aren't smart enough

Can I un-retard myself if I study economics and management if I'm not "math oriented?" I hate that I was sold the meme that I was "language oriented" and wasted so much time jerking off about my creative aspirations. I'm a freshman at a liberal arts school btw, please send help

No sorry. Economics is Math for retards. It's like IT vs CS.

WELL THEN CAN RETARDS MAKE MONEY WITH CRYPTO?
FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
I DON'T CARE ABOUT DREAMS
I DON'T CARE ABOUT HUMANS
I JUST WANT MONEY
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Yes but you'll probably end up daytrading your money away with meme coins and come back here posting pink wojaks

yuropoor colleges r selective

I plan to play the long game, just a week of lurking has shown me what day trading does to these people

>Engineering
>$40k
Wtf. How are you making that little? Average is $60k+ unless you did civil or some other bs

If you put in the effort and learn a math oriented / STEM subject anyway you're gonna be one of the small percentage of that field who is competent at language - that's actually a pretty good position to be in. If you study eco do all the math courses you can.

NIGGA JUST GET $200k in debt and spend 6 years in undergrad getting an extremely valuable gender studies degree so you can end up working at starbucks and not be able to afford your loans back and crash your credit score.

STEM majors I've met write like actual Neanderthals, might give me a leg up. Do degrees in management or business turn heads or are they just memes?

yes it is OP but make sure you get someone else to pay for it

I don't have Nepotism on my side so I went to college and it helped me get internships and a career after graduation. I went to a top tier party school so I got laid a bunch and had a lot of fun at parties.

I'd say college is worth it only if you use every possible bit of help the career center can help and if you're going there just to get laid and meet people.

I also went for free on scholarship though so I didn't mind it.

Why would you go into college when you can build banks with crypto and wage cuck for a few years, and then go into real estate where the real money is at.

The one universal mistake people make in real estate is not starting soon enough. Don't be a shmuck.

I graduated in May with a dual-degree in Electrical Engineering and Biometrics.

Despite having some real trouble getting a job that I LIKE - i.e. not some practically blue-collar, electrician job, or working at a power plant or god forbid a non-technical and non-design position like in sales or some shit....................................I'd say college is still definitely worth it, with some caveats.

The benefit of college is not nearly so much about the career opportunities (although this is a plus; employers will definitely favor the candidate with a bachelor's over someone with comparable experience and no degree) as it is about the connections you make, the experiences you have; living on your own yet still encapsulated in a somewhat walled garden with other like-minded people your age; and also learning about REALLY COOL SHIT in depth, stuff that as the proverbial grad will tell you "I never used it again once I got out of college". Not to mention being forced to accept some of the more bullshit aspects of academia, like unnecessarily long papers or having professors shove their ideologies onto you via their curriculum. If nothing else, it's good to learn how to deal with this kind of stuff, because it only happens 100-fold in the working world.

However. From a financial standpoint, it is fully possible to not only less expensively but also more easily learn a trade and rake in the same or even more money than you would following the (often pretty narrow) career path that college puts in front of you.....without ever paying out the ass for 4 years of university.

I'd say ONLY go to university if you
1. Are gonna commit to it
2. Like the theoretical and abstract aspects of learning a subject as much as its real-world practicality
3. Can do it VERY cheaply. I'm talking scholarships and grants totaling to less than $6-8k/semester. You're gonna hate your life post-graduation if you're liberal with it here.

4. Have some doubts or fear about what you want to do with your life or your business ventures.
5. Aren't a degenerate that's surely going to end up at the bar every single weekend+some weekdays.

Oof that was long. Anyway it's a big world out there and the face of business is changing. More & more people are grabbing hold of the entrepreneurial spirit, and college is becoming less & less mandatory every year. If you're the kind of person that seizes opportunity by the balls without outside help, I think you already know the answer, you don't need college.

I did quite enjoy my time there though.

>living on your own yet still encapsulated in a somewhat walled garden with other like-minded people your age
This is what I hate the most so far.
Shouldn't you cast yourself into an environment where you're constantly challenged in order to learn and grow? Even though I'm going debt-free I'm not wasting four years of my life on "networking" and for "the experience," fuck that

it is what you make of it. I received a bs/ms accelerated degree in bioengineering from a mid-top level engineering program and still kind of regret it even with
>no extra cost for the ms since i still finished in 4 years
>a few scholarships
even with a good chunk of my ~$50k/yr tuition being payed for by someone else the debt still racked up. you have to consider that if you take the approach i did (taking 20 credits a term to finish as fast as possible) it makes it difficult to balance your coursework with a social life and a part time job to pay for said social life, as well as food and living expenses.

If i could do it all again, i would probably go to a branch campus of my large state school (PSU where I'm from) and waste the time trying to get some decent scholarships while also living at home for the first two years.
not having to cook your own meals, etc. really saves time and allows you to make some spare cash on the side, all while saving a dick load compared to any idiots like me who decided to attend a private university.

I am 24 making ~80k a year now for a large medical device distributor, but the ceiling in medical devices for engineers at my age doesn't seem much higher than where i'm at (being realistic, as i can't compete with people with 10-15 years of experience).

because of all of this, i plan to attend a top tier MBA program (top 12-13 in the world at the worst) and change careers into something easier and more lucrative.

tdlr; only if you go to a good public school and get scholarships... also try to live at home for a year (more than one year you might miss out on more pf the social side of college than you'd like)

currently a senior at a good, not great school. i pay like 30k a year total. am graduating debt free/going to probably make around 60k after grad because of internships/networking

college is what you make of it. personally, I don't regret going because i'm a pretty social guy (joined a frat, made great friends, not trying to humble brag, just giving context) and i wouldn't have this much fun anywhere else.

financially, unless you're a genius and can make it on your own, college is needed in order to live a normie life. im just tryna make it off shitcoins so i can quit normal job at 23 and dick around for rest of life

aurora cannabis or Aphria or save and buy Canopy?

>enjoying interacting with literal mouth-breathing normans on an unironic basis

The absolute state of Veeky Forums

That's your fault for not going to an accredited community college.

financially speaking, no.

it might get you a stable job if you have zero ability to acquire skills on your own though

it's a mostly a meme started by those who went to college who want to stay ahead of everyone else, combined with poor people who regret not going because of it's long term benefits

absolutely not worth it even in europe where free. only if you gonna be a doctor then go. anything else no

youtube.com/watch?v=h_kIajrJUMc

Meme degree and you avoid Private and go to a State school

Yes

Do the opposite hell

No

Only non brothers call a fraternity a “frat”

Just be careful picking what you study. You can always change your major. I found that college made me a better person after focusing hard on work. It's good you are taking finances seriously. All that said, I now have to resort to begging with my wallets to pay off my $100,000 of college debt.
BTC: 1T6a182rM6nMTwEmpNRn4hidDGnRDEe4D
ETH: 0x621be44fed4cb7efa9c5e29f48812c22491d73a6

it really depends.

if you don't have wealth and you go to an expensive college and get low paying job, or just generally fuck off /drop out... your'e going to be in a world of hurt financially for a long time.

one of the best financial pieces of advice i can give you kids.... this isn't fun, but when you get out of school do whatever you can those first 3 or 4 years to live cheaply and pay off as much/all your debt. you'll never be able to live on so little as when you're that young.

>live on so little as when you're that young.
And this is why I dump all that extra cash into BTC