Eurofag moving to Canada

Veeky Forums, dear Veeky Forums
I am moving to Canada, and more accurately to Vancouver. I need help figuring out which gym I should join, some tips about food and anything related to fitness.

I'm recovering from a wrist injury and will get back into powerlifting, with a background in olympic lifting.

Any advice regarding how to live the Veeky Forums life in Canada is welcome.

i'm gonna bump one time, because I really really don't know what to expect in the land of the polite people.

Goodlife is a pretty generic commercial gym but they have decent freeweight equipment at most locations.

No frills is the cheapest place to go for food, loblaws and other PC stores are good to. Everything in vancouvers costs so much money though.

Do eurofags have costco? Costco should be your stop for basically everything (groceries, whey, supps, etc.)

$CAD is shit-tier compared to $USD so be careful online

Get big so you can fill out hoodies and shit because it's 10deg colder now than it was last year and winter is supposed to be bad this year

Oh ya we have CPU (IPF affiliated) and CPF (not IPF affiliated)

We're full

It looks like it is expensive as fuck. Isn't there some protein-friendly local products that would be a bit cheaper ?
What about asian shops ? I remember those Veeky Forums images about how to get enough food / proteins for the cheapest prices in the UK, isn't there siomething similar for Canada ?

Can't say for all europe, but there isn't in France. We don't have the "huge shops" mentality yet, I think.

Are there any decent powerlifting/oly lifting clubs ? Like local clubs, rather than anything even remotely related to crossfit ?

Well there's definitely specialized powerlifting gyms across Canada --, but I'm not sure of the specifics of Vancouver because not a Vancouver resident

Where are you going in Vancouver? A lot of local rec centres have really surprisingly good gyms.

I work out at bonsor gym

there's a cool gym in a basement on commercial drive called spartacus, good price and environment. lots of trendy chain gyms like steve nash and shit, but they're shit. also we have a rec centre pass thing where you can get one pass that gives you access to all rec centres around the city which is nice if you like swimming and saunas, they also all have gyms
there's another gym on commercial called britannia, you can get a low-income yearly pass for $3/year (that's not a typo) which gives you access to the sauna before 3pm I believe and the gym on tuesdays and fridays.
for groceries there are cheaper stores than save-on around, like sunrise market in china town. I usually get veggies from the small grocery stores in china town or eastvan, anything that's downtown is way overpriced. eating out is a waste of money.
for meat I usually spend more and get the grass fed organic stuff, there's a nice butcher on fraser and broadway.
everyone's active here, tons of yoga studios, everybody's running or cycling or walking. running around the sea-wall is great cardio and lots of cuties and scenes to check out
where in van are you living?

Last time I checked the Mount Pleasant rec centre had weightlifting platforms and bumper plates (shit black generic bumper plates though and no eleiko barbells)
The olympic village rec centre used to have great weightlifting platforms/bars/bumpers but it was making too much noise and they shut them down.
in terms of clubs there's Ultimate Weightlifting out at SFU (they're team does great in competition) also Capilano has a club, Surrey has Lion's weightlifting club.
in terms of powerlifting clubs, I don't really know, all you need is a barbell and plates and you can program yourself

I have no clue yet, unfortunately this is the first time I move to such a place... It's almost impossible to find available apartments to rent... We're trying to get something around Oakridge/ South Cambie...
I'm sending tons of emails to rental agencies but they have nothing available around early november (we move there in like 10 days now)

I'm gonna copy pasta your advices, thank you very much.

Thank you for the grass fed organic meat, my gf eats only organic food (i didn't want to admit that to Veeky Forums) so that's a good thing to know.

I just enjoy being a friendly atmosphere, rather than a commercial gym, that's where I tend to make the best progress because the atmosphere is really "uplifting".

yeah good luck finding a place to rent man
the market's fucked
people are outbidding eachother to get a place and paying more than the asking price listed on craigslist
chinese landlords are charging disgusting fees for dumping basements in terrible parts of town
wish I could help you with that part
good luck though, you'll find something, just prevail

I'm also moving to Canada from Europe.

Does anyone have any gym recommendations for Toronto?

Yeah I noticed all those "specific details" of the Vancouverian Market. Good thing for us is that we have a very clean record and very good jobs so that plays hugely in our favor.

Thanks again for all your advice, where do you train ? Maybe we'll meet one day :)

Goodlife is great

24hr, good price, lots of shit and people are friendly IME

Freshco is probably beat for food tho

I train at home on my gymnastic rings and on my yoga mat.
I used to be in powerlifting/weightlifting but that was a few years ago.
I don't live in van anymore, I'm further south in a nice place called white rock that I recommend visiting some time.

Buy protein on Canadian protein. Com, pretty cheap and good quality. Meat is expensive, i buy few kilos when on sale then freeze, but mostly I survive on bulk dried lentils, beans, peas and rice and meal prep. I use fitnotes to track my lifts, it has a handy plate calculator useful if you re not used with the weird weight system they use here. Beer and wine in bar are really expensive, flat parties the way to go unless you want to spend 50 bucks to get tipsy.

Can vouch, white rock is fucking beautiful, a few buddies of mine have family there and we visit all the time for homemade Korean food.

>Buy protein on Canadian protein

im skeptical if it's legit or not desu

Also distinguish goodlife from fit 4 less (a company owned by goodlife fitness), as fit 4 less and goodlife don't share memberships and fit 4 less has minimal equipment (no bumper plates, dl platform, only a squat rack w/ no power cage etc.)

God another European faggot coming to my hometown. I'm getting sick of you fuckin foreigners make sure to avoid the white gyms you incel cuck.

>

May I ask what will be bringing you to my birth city OP?

Fuck off faggots reeeeeeeee I'm supposed to be the only european moving to Canada
(been staying in ontario for a year already on a work permit desu(

golds gym on loughheed is currently 10$ bi weekly (20$/mo) solid gym. Has everything you need,

no dont do that, i work out at hilcrest and i hate the fact that fucking filipinos and indians there are always junking the place up

at least i work out for free there

got 2kg from them around 2 months ago, went through it pretty fast, banana flavor is pretty good

Same but im curious how much is really protein.

goodlife fitness along north rd is pretty good too

the fact they have a premium version of the normal concentrate that isnt isolate does raise an eye, ive recently switched back to myprotein cause the sales make it cheaper anyway, only downside is a long wait time for the delivery

gnc actually has surprisingly good prices on whey if you buy the bulk stuff. Most whey I see is usually 20-24g/$, gnc had their buy 1 get one half off price and I bought two 2.2kg tubs at 42g/$. Was even a decent deal without the one half off.

I remember i checked around before buying and someone on Reddit tested it to a lab and it was legit. (could have been their pr guy tho). Avoid chocolate is too sweet.

How much is myprotein?

>24-hour fitness
>Steve Nash fitness
>Snap fitness
>Goodlife
Also come to the bar and grill by Davie st. if you can. I work there as a bartender and I could give you a discount if you want.

This. Fuck off, we're full already.

>European
>flip/poo
U wot

Been looking to pickup some extra work hours bartending

Any idea if there's openings around?

There are openings if you don't mind late hours and sleazy clubs. I personally don't do any late shifts desu.

Prefer late hours. Work most days until 9. Honestly need to keep myself out of trouble at night, I was a degenerate, cleaned up a year or so ago but still feel drawn to that shit when i'm bored at night

Fairly new to Vancouver area, protein powder and meat is pretty expensive.
Go to Costco is my advice. All the corporate ran gym annoyed the fuck out of me when all I wanted to do was look at equipment and get information on membership fees.