Anyone here lift and box?

Anyone here lift and box?

How does lifting and boxing go together?

Is boxing a good way to learn how to defend yourself?

They don't very well desu. Most lifters don't have the full body coordination to box initially and end up gassing out.

You could lift, but only after training sessions otherwise you're likely to hurt yourself because you'd have weaker muscle groups.
And if you do lift, do compound exercises of you can, to tire out everything at the same pace. Otherwise again, you're likely to injure yourself.

An example would be a lead hook, if you tire out your pecs then you inevitably end up throwing at a wider elbow and shoulder angle. That ends up putting extra strain on your shoulder joint and can injure it.

I can't say anything about self defence since I've never had to use it, but I have good enough technique and bare hand conditioning to throw hard enough to knock somebody out without breaking my hand.

Thanks man. You still think it's too much if you're a natty guy working out 3-4 days a week?

Im saying you can, but you need to change your routine.

The most important muscles for beginners are your shoulders, pecs and triceps. Since you need good shoulder strength for good defence form, pecs for round punches and triceps for speed.

If you do chest and triceps, I. E. Benches then you'll perform shit the next day. Simple as that, so you need to tailor accordingly.

Later on once you can train and not have sore shoulders, chest and triceps, then the weakest link becomes your legs for mobility and power generation. Then you need to adjust your leg day accordingly. The it's core for stability, dodging and more power on hooks. And you again need to change your routine to compensate.

Some boxing coaches advocate no lifting whatsoever since it does make you slower, but imo as long as it's compound exercises it's okay.

awesome advice thanks.

not the other guy but i've had some boxing experience, i'd recommend you gain a good boxing base then work lifting in around that, that way you'll be able to have the correct muscle recruitment patterns when punching and any imbalances from a lifting program can be mitigated

I think he means he's already a lifter and wants to get into boxing.

No worries mate. Don't be too upset if you have difficulty improving at first, you need to get that stamina and coordination first. And if it's just bag work go all out every round. But if you know sparring or parent drills are coming up save some because it's a better learning experience than bag alone.

Would there be any downsides if someone my size (pic related) were to begin?

Do you think you can train yourself or you have to go to a class as a noob?

You cannot train by yourself to begin with. Once technique is down then you can do shadow boxing and heavy bag by yourself, but at that point you get the most bang for your buck by sparring.

It doesn't matter how you look as long as you aren't morbidly obese. The issue is you don't know how to move in fight and end up tensing up and wasting energy. You end up slow, less mobile and you fatigue easier. But you will learn and get better. Lifters tend to have a harder time getting the correct level of relaxation compared to a dyel, but you end up being better in the long run given more muscle to work with.

oh and i forgot to mention.

if you go to a gym where they:
>get beginners starting first day
>spar at full strength
>trainer does not give a fuck about teaching technique

then leave. they'll only break your interest in the sport.

Just fyi, lifting is complimentary to judo.

>implying OP is so much of a faggot that he wants to do grappling as opposed to the sweet science

grappling is fucking gay

These trips speak truth.

Grappling is fucking gay, being a rank striker is where it's at.

what about muay thai?

>They don't very well desu. Most lifters don't have the full body coordination to box initially and end up gassing out.
compared to who? are you saying that if you took a person and made him stronger without changing anything else it would make him a worse boxer? if so, that's retarded.

I did kickboxing for 4 years. Never bragged about it, just keep to myself.
Im 6'4 and my arms are even longer spread wide open and no one could really reach my head and i enjoyed fighting quite a lot.
Your reflexes imrpove, your precision, technique, ability to dodge punches. Not to mention that it is so exhausting to fight for a few minutes, you wouldnt believe it. I eventually got used to it, but holding your hands up all the time, hitting and defending yourself with them and running around the whole time. Its exhausting.
As far as self defense goes i had to knock a few people out. Mostly in clubs and big festivals. I havent lost a fight in the street so far so ill say its pretty useful.

Don't fall for self-defense meme. Run from confrontations. It's not worth it.

Lift while you box, instead of lifting first and then getting started with boxing. I've been boxing for around six years, two of which were kickboxing. I've met way too many people who used to say they would get started with lifting first until they had a base, then they either never started boxing or they lacked any sort of endurance. Truth is that in boxing, pretty much none of your arm creates any power at all; your biceps and triceps are means to extend and contract explosively when you punch, and these are things that any twiggy dude can do even if they can't bench press even the bar. Most of the power in your punches will be rotational, so it's usually power generated from your serratus and chest (these being, at least, the parts you can actually train, while really most of the power comes from your hips and feet), and funneled by your shoulders. Lifting will help your boxing, in fact, being big and strong is enormously important in boxing, but mostly because it will increase your knockout power and make you harder to knock out (Yes, skeletal muscle does impact how hard you can get hit without falling). However, lifting does not matter the short term for a small guy that's looking to take his beginning steps in the sport; so in the sort term the only relationship you might find is that lifting might take a little away from your cardio, while not adding much until you start competing and you actually need to start worrying about your knockout power and blow absorption, but the other benefits of lifting that are not directly related to how well you can actually box are way too many to disregard doing both at the same time.

Also lmao at the fag saying grappling is gay. You do you, if you like to box and disregard grappling that's fine, but grappling is the most efficient way to fight.

Drago is my goal body

Boxing is exact same as lifting. Form before speed. Muscle imbalances can be worked on but if you can't punch, stand and move properly, you can't box.

As far as defending yourself, boxing is great because the whole point is to stay on your feet. The absolute last thing you want to do in a street fight is end up on the ground.

Just a shame that Dolph is literally like one in a billion genetics.

The guy put Stallone in the hospital for like 3 days from a single punch to the gut, Stallone even said he has never seen strength like he with Dolph.

>You will never have ancient Viking genetics

Keeps me up most nights, horrible feel.

this dude is incorrect, most important muscles for boxing are everything in the back, and legs

Heavy squats and weighted pull up twice a week and nothing else. Shoulders, pecs and abs get plenty of work in a decent boxing workout

That's what I'd do if I had to start over. Been boxing for about 12 years

this guy is a boxer

I believe the only way you could really lift and box is if you were unemployed and you had plenty of recovery time to train seperately twice a day.

I go boxing 4 nights a week and I spend 2 hours down there usually (strength and conditioning class, padwork, sparring)

I wouldn't be able to go lift after; and if I went lifting before i know I wouldn't be able to keep up the strength and conditioning class.

Most of the conditioning side of boxing is HIIT for cardio; where as lifting isn't that intense in the cardio department. You won't have the muscle endurance to really push it in a HIIT strength and conditioning class if you've been boxing.

they don't mix well because in boxing people actually do cardio

If you are serious about wanting to box and lift read Tactical Barbell and follow the fighter template. I do Muay Thai 3x a week and lift 2x a week and sometimes ill add Hill sprints 1x a week.