Squats for Big Arms

Does anyone believe this?

I do 531. I squat. It's an essential lift if you're healthy and able to perform it. But am I the only one who thinks the squat's worth is being overstated with claims like this?

I've heard and read "if you want big arms, SQUAT."

Hurr durr. Come on. It's a good lift but it's not useful for certain things and building arms is one of them.

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19910330
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19736298
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Fucking of course it is.
The people stating it even say that doing curls or any other exercises outside of the "big three lifts" is pointless vanity and get in the way of "the big three lifts".

It's true they do say that. They're just wrong.

Heavy squats increase test. If you just do a few sets of curls after squats your arms will grow more than doing a full arm day.

Also not true. The amount of free testosterone stimulated by doing squats has been shown to be negligible in building muscle.

While squats themselves won't make your arms bigger, a bigger squat helps you get a bigger deadlift, bench, OHP, and row. Progression on those does lead to bigger arms. If that's not enough, just do some curls at the end of your workout.

Source

>a bigger squat helps you get a bigger bench
>a bigger squat helps you get a bigger OHP
>a bigger squat helps you get a bigger row

Stop posting.

Squatting releases hormones that increase muscle mass all over and add an inch to your dick. Also you cannot call yourself a man if you do not squat.

It's scientifically proven that the more big muscle groups you use in one exercise, the more growth hormone your body produces. Thus heavy compound lifts are the basis of any strength and bodybuilding routine worth a damn.

lol k

Dropping the realest pill on Veeky Forums

This is the biggest meme out there, dyels like to spout that one

Truth is that you don't need squats for big arms

squats are a meme of homosexual men who want every men to have big thighs and ass

don't fall for this one, you don't need legs for building your body, in fact it's kinda counterproducing because the body can hold so much muscle before it stops producing more naturally, and you don't wanna have all your muscle in your legs if this happen

You're a retard, m8.

hack squats and stiff legged deads are compound movements, you moron. Also when you're on this much steroids, obviously you don't need to focus much on exercises that make your body increase its natural test production. If you're natty or have a more reasonable roid cycle, you definitely do need that natural HGH production you get from compound lifts.

But sure user, everyone is wrong, only you and the handful of exceptions you know of are right. Enjoy your curlbro routine without ever making any progress whatsoever.

>what is leg drive and core strength

DYEL spotted

You post a source that states that Squats alone will give you bigger arms then actually directly training them.

Fuck, the average SS fag should be sporting canons and not getting laughed at by the average curlbro who does a billion different heavy curls and bench press variations.

Hell gymnasts should have almost no arm size since they do little to nothing for their legs.

>squats for core strength

a new level of retard

Are you really this stupid? it's not the squat itself that helps build arms but the fact that the squat is a compound movement that exercises the biggest muscle group in your body. That increases your body's natural growth hormone production, which in return helps you build muscle in general.

The reason why gymnasts have big ass arms that put any curlbro to shame is because nearly everything they do is a compound movement, the exact opposite of some dumbass curlbro isolation exercise routine. If you have a full body workout that is even close to as demanding as that of a gymnast or advanced calisthenics, then yes, you don't need squats or deads to build big ass arms.

Curlbros do upper body compound routines and only neglect their legs.
At most they'll do a single leg workout every few weeks cause they heard that working on your legs gives some GH released that will build arms.
But beyond that, nothing.

And they still get massive arm gains.

As a matter of fact, you only have to do a single set of squats once a week to gain strength and some amount of lower body and back mass.

>the body can hold so much muscle before it stops producing more naturally, and you don't wanna have all your muscle in your legs if this happen

Well, yeah. But..you'll have massive thighs and a strong lower back!!

overhead press, deads, squats. Literally the 3 most demanding lifts for your core, outside of oly lifts. I'm beginning to wonder if you actually do lift weights at all.

>it's not the squat itself that helps build arms but the fact that the squat is a compound movement that exercises the biggest muscle group in your body

You're fucking retarded and are creating imagined scenarios where your beyond stupid bullshit works.
It does not.
You want big arms work on your goddamned arms.
Simple as that.
You show me one person who did a pure 5x5 power lifting routine and did NOTHING for their arms and have impressive looking arms.
And I mean the fucking full STICK TO THE PROGRAM version of starting strength without chinups.

Go on.
I'll fucking wait.

>squats don't make your lower back exceptionally stronger

???????

>And they still get massive arm gains.

They do? I've actually never seen a curlbro that was actually shredded. They always look ottermode at best. Actual bodybuilders all train their legs and core.

Thank you. I fucking hate how

>just do squats and GOMAD, it's all you need
>don't work arms at all because only douchebags work arms

is still a thing.

If you do Starting Strength and GOMAD and follow the instructions exactly as written, you will get fat and only fat. You'll end up with big quads and glutes and a shitty underdeveloped everything else.

That was never my argument you fucking retard. If you train arms and you do heavy compound lifts, you will be bigger as a whole than if you didn't do compound lifts but did more arms isolation crap.

>As a matter of fact, you only have to do a single set of squats once a week to gain strength

What's your squat, big guy?

if you think squats build your arms or the test boost matters you're a fucking moron DYEL

do your high volume accessory work like every big strong powerlifter and bodybuilder

if you do SS exactly as written you'll do a bunch of chinups. that's enough for biceps FOR A BEGINNER, and the triceps get plenty of work from benching and pressing. SS doesn't neglect arms, it just doesn't focus on them with isolations, but it doesn't focus on anything at all with isolations.

>just do squats and GOMAD, it's all you need

Literally no one says that you dumb fucking shit. SS is a BEGINNER STARTING program you're supposed to do for a couple of months at most, to build the base strength needed to move onto more intermediate programs.

Agreed.

Go heavy on the compounds. Leave the high reps for isolations and you're golden

>Weaklings detected

Come back when you can dl more than 20kg

The only way the likes of squat and deadlift affect your arms is that they strengthen your core and legs which in turn build a solid base to allow you to bench and OHP more. Especially on OHP where a solid kinetic chain is essential. But there of course it's the bench and OHP which are growing your arms so it's an indirect aid to growing your arms.

Being generally strong does help with lifts that will grow your arms and its pretty undeniable that squats and DL are the two best builders of general strength available really. Grow your squat and other lifts will feed off that, your arms will grow as a direct benefit of your upper body lifts improving as a secondary benefit of squatting more.

Some people will call it bullshit but it's pretty logical to me and in my experience it's sound logic too.

SS neglects upper body in general IMO. Upper body lifts require more volume for progression, even in beginners.

I think GSLP is much better for beginners, since there's adequate volume for both upper and lower body.

not that guy but here

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19910330
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19736298

squats, and in fact any heavy leg exercise, will increase GH and test production

however, because this increase is so small, it literally doesn't matter at all even slightly

squatting for a test boost /gh boost to build your arms is just broscience

want arms? train arms, moron

You haven't been on sites like /r/Fitness that tell EVERYONE that comes for advice to do SS, regardless of actual applicability - and these same sites that recommend GOMAD to people that aren't in skelly mode.

>Squats/deadlifts induce systemic conditions ideal for muscle growth
>doing arms will have greater effect than without because of the above

Thats how that works

The actual argument for squats/deadlifts affecting your arms is that doing these extremely heavy, almost fullbody exercises provide a powerful growth stimulus, and training the arms after that will make them grow more than if you didn't do the squats. There's a study from norway that showed just that, but it was pretty shitty otherwise so it's not enough to draw any conclusion. Until researchers start studying high quality barbell training we'll never know for sure.

I DL 480lbs faggot.

That's more or less 220kg

Maybe I'm just a little bitch but since my quad injury and not being able to squat I don't feel as into it during my workouts.

I still do workout but I had been starting every workout with 5x5 squats for the last 5 months and it feels different.

Those guys are idiots.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't squat

>SS neglects upper body in general IMO. Upper body lifts require more volume for progression, even in beginners.
I disagree. My upper body grew a lot on SS merely by following the program. People like you who say it "neglects upper body" have never actually done the routine, you just look at it, compare it to the routines you're used to and draw the conclusion that it doesn't have enough upper body work.

post bodies right now, all this talk and no showing for it

SS was also designed for high-school football coaches to help bring their kids up to the prerequisite strength levels to play the sport safely and effectively. If you have no interest in any athletic activity whatsoever, then go on and do your splits. No on gives a fuck. You will be significantly weaker than a lot of average looking dudes that just played sports when they were younger, but whatever. Do you.

>They do? I've actually never seen a curlbro that was actually shredded. They always look ottermode at best. Actual bodybuilders all train their legs and core.

1.Curlbros are almost always natural and will have larger arms then the average non lifter and non gifted guys.
2.The AESTHETICS guys are not and will have larger everything with the worst workout routines ever concieved if they workout at all.

You work on your arms if you want big arms.

No you fucking idiot.
My argument is that people who claim that squatting will release so much test and gh that it alone will build bigger arms without needing to curl are full of fucking shit.
You are saying something that I never once fucking stated fucking ever to disprove something I never fucking said.
Squats are not needed to build a better upper body.

Want to know something else?
HEAVY SPRINTS and TABATA pumps out far more human growth hormone and test then heavy squats and can be done for longer and work the entire fucking body if done correctly.

Sure, I'm aware of that argument, and I believe it to be true personally, I just understand why some people are dubious of it, especially without better studies to back it up.

But the fact your upper body lifts by getting stronger as a result of squats and DL is pretty undeniable to me and I would assume most people who've dome them consistently for a year or two.

>that lanky who does squats every session

It's less.

Doesn't matter.
No one in this thread cares about squat numbers except for the big legged tiny upper bodied powerlifting acolytes and shills.

i'm not that guy, but SS does neglect upper body

you have 45 working reps of squat a week, compared with 15 or 30 depending on week of bench, and 15 or 30 of overhead press

overhead press loading is limited by the delts, and the amount of stimulus it provides your triceps is not really too significant, and the chest involvement is basically a non factor

so your primary movers in the bench are getting really 15 or 30 working reps a week with a few accessories added in

this is not enough for the vast majority of people which is why you see people with fucked up bench/squat ratios coming off of SS

of course you grew, you were a novice lifter - you would have grown more with more volume, and gotten stronger at bench/press

Uh uh.
No chinups.
Original program
The one where everyone claimed that the test boost from squatting overhead press and bench was enough to build massive arms.

GSLP is marginally more upper body heavy than lower body.

I'm fairly sure most people can progress for longer on GSLP than SS. Progressing on squat twice a week and deadlift once a week IMO is ideal. Plus I think the auto regulation is GSLP in its AMRAP sets is a really good idea. More than anything, I think that's what makes GSLP better than SS.

GSLP is a better program but I would never recommend rank beginners to do AMRAP sets, great way to get them fucked up

also the volume boost from AMRAP is not going to be enough to make a difference compared to SS, it would make more sense to just add sets upon resetting and then strip them away once nearing or passing old sticking point weights

i doubt there is much of a difference in progress between GSLP and SS advanced novice, which has you deadlift once a week as well and squat twice heavy and once light

Obviously no one is claiming that doing nothing but squats will make your arms massive.

What kind of retarded strawman is that lmao

So...less than 2pl8?

But you hit it 'for reps', right? To get that pump.

Chin ups are in the original program numbnuts. Go read the book instead of half assed explanations and broscience you've seen on the Internet.

AMRAP is great for beginners, are you kidding me?

RPE is probably the best thing way to auto regulate, but novices have very little understanding of their bodies. Doing an AMRAP at the end isn't for volume work, it's to autoregulate progress when progress is slower than adaptation

>what are chin ups

No stupid. That's not a fucking strawman.
That's a fact.
People were outright stating this on Veeky Forums and across the net for long ass years.
They were saying do squats neglect your arm SEE MASSIVE GUN GROWTH, and they saw none of that.

They big legs big squat ass big core bug gut and fuck all else.
Their newb gains pissed away on big thighs.

Workout A Workout B
3x5 Low Bar Squat 3x5 Low Bar Squat
3x5 Bench Press 3x5 Overhead Press
1x5 Deadlift 5x3 Power clean

That is the original program you fucking idiot.

The original program has chinups in it. Just because you did it wrong doesn't mean the actual as written program lacks them.

In fact, followed as written SS has more upper body work than lower - especially towards the end. (Bench, press, and chins vs squat - deadlift covers both.)

chin ups work the triceps and chest? astounding, tell me more you fucking idiot

AMRAP is not great for beginners, beginners need to learn the form and perfect motor patterns

any AMRAP set taken close to failure is going to have a fuckload of sloppy reps near the end, especially if form isn't already rock solid

also the point of the AMRAP set is actually for volume work, that's why Schaeffer says his program is the "periodized LP" - it's not just for autoregulation, he makes it very clear that the additional work during these AMRAP sets will result in more of a training effect

which obviously it does, but I don't but that it's significant enough to make someone go further on GSLP than SS in terms of numbers

if anything it's the reduced squat frequency that makes it more manageable for a longer period of time

Squats DO NOT:
- meaningfully increase free test
- grow arms directly
- increase GH level in any meaningful way
- etc

Squats DO:
- help build a bigger overall musculature
- this helps unlock potential in other lifts** that require strong posterior chain, back and core
- eventually the result is yes, arms get bigger, but indirectly

** OHP, rows, cleans, and compound whatevers.

wow i wanna sumo curl almost 2 pl8s too some day that guys a BEAST!

No it fucking doesn't.
That it's been retconned into having them has more to do with Rip getting completely blown out by people who called him on his shit about not working on the upper body.

This is the NEW program and chinups went from "accessory" to a needed part of the program.

>- help build a bigger overall musculature
So does doing heavy standing curls.
>- this helps unlock potential in other lifts** that require strong posterior chain, back and core
Curls tricep work and benches helps unlock potential with over head press and other BIG NEEDED LIFTS
>- eventually the result is yes, arms get bigger, but indirectly
OR you can just cut out the middle man and work on the arm directly.

Screenshot from the fucking book you fag. Now stfu until you actually know what you're talking about.

This isn't the novice program and this isn't the workout that's pushed everywhere.
Which workout is that and which edition is that.

It is the novice program, because guess what, it is a novice program.

Its from 3rd edition.

The one you're insisting is THE program is indeed the one everyone posts all over the Internet because most people get it from the Internet, haven't read the book and have no idea what it says about programming. But it quite clearly tells you at what stages to introduce power cleans and chins, to start with more DL volume and cut that down as you progress. All that shit that most people have no clue even exists cause they never read the book.

Also,
>Which workout is that and which edition is that.

It's how you do SS a few weeks in, plain and simple. The version you are posting is the one you do for only a couple of weeks after the one which has deadlift on A and B days. But you probably don't know about that either right?

>2015 +1
> not squatting on arm day

>Their newb gains pissed away on big thighs.

that's not how noob gains work, you fucking mong

>your body produces
obviously this goes out the window once you use exogenous hormones

>Its from 3rd edition.
Ah well, that changes everything.
It's an admission that I was right.

Thank you.

That's actually the beginner program that was posted for months.

Explain.
How DO beginner gains work?

since theres a huge amount of muscle recruitment, and many muscles involved, itll stimulate more HGH production, and likely test as well. deadlifts are a little more important in this regard(i think), but you should neglect squats. but i also think its unnecessary to squat every workout unless youre a powerlifter or really like it for some reason

i dont get how retards think that is how noob gains work. i guess its the same people that think if you miss the "anabolic window" you missed out on any gains from that workout

>>Its from 3rd edition.
>Ah well, that changes everything.
>It's an admission that I was right.

In what way?

ORIGINAL PROGRAM

You know the "JUST DO THE PROGRAM" program that Rippletoe and his accolytes told everyone to do?

Yeah, no chin-ups.

>actually reading rippletits books

not that other guy arguing but this is 100% not the original program

it did not have back extensions lel

I couldn't care less if it's the original program tbqh. It's the program. It has chins.

keked

YNDTP

Upper body requires more different exercises though; horizontal push and pull, vertical push and pull, and then you need things like lateral raises for the muscles that aren't hit well in the other four.

You can get a great lower body with just squats and deadlifts.

Because if You have the lower body and you have no upper body, you got a problem building...wait a minute. You have the upper body, and you have no legs, you got a problem building your legs. You have the upper...you have the lower body and you don't have the upper body, the upper body, it is easier to build. So if you have the lower body and you don't have the upper body, it is easier to build the upper body. You have the upper body and you don't have the legs, you got a problem building the lower body... No, you don't understand. You have the upper body, but you don't have the lower body, you got a problem building downstairs. You got the up- legs on the bottom, it is easier to build on the top, so you don't have much as a problem. Yeah.

Any muscle group that's underdeveloped will make gains faster at first and then as the muscle grows the gains will taper off. You're not a fucking video game character that can spend your xp min-maxing stats