Wrestling

Hey guys I'm about to join a wrestling team at uni and I want some tips on how should I begin training.

We've got the next three weeks to train until the first tournament and I want to be able to completely destroy my opponents and gain respect from my peers, despite this being my first time ever.

Already somewhat strong (lifting for 10 months) my stats are:
>5'9
>150 lbs
>Squat: 325 lbs
>Deadlift: 350 lbs
>Bench: 210
but my cardio game is weak as fuck

PLEASE HELP ME KILL
thx

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hQb7EyCcG9c
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>three weeks
You're gonna get fucking decimated

then help me out gimme some tips anything

Train more cardio and technique before you throw yourself into the fire

D1 (BU). Strength will be a factor yes, but ultimately your stamina and cardio gainz are going to be the deciding factor. 30 seconds of skilled wrestling is going to be the most energy exhausted you've ever been. I'd recommend doing some explosive cardio in the morning every morning after waking up, something like take downs or "scrambles" using a punching bag pivoting 45 degrees each rep. Look up wrestling-specific explosiveness and endurance exercises and good luck nigger

I would focus on HIIT. Hill sprints, treadmill work(20 sec on, 10 off x 5, inc 12, speed 8) and lots of wrestling. Your weight lifting should be last on the list.

why the fuck would you risk fucked up shoulders to do this gay ass sport

You've never wrestled before? Fitness is the least of your problems.

How should I eat? More or less or remain the same??

Maintain or go lower if you want. You will wrestle other faggots who weigh the same. Like I said above though, if you have no stamina you'll just waste all you got first round, second round you'll get styled on and won't be able to come back from the point differential. Nobody gives a shit how much you diddly when it comes to wrestling.

>sees "wrestling" and "I'm about to join"
>it's not pro wrestling, it's college wrestling
>tfw no pro wrestling gym buddy

Okay thank you.

Jesus Christ OP, you're gonna have a gooooood time.
Start doing sprints EVERY DAY. Force yourself to the point of wanting to vomit.

Hope you're familiar with how people starve themselves up to weigh-in day, so they weigh a least possible amount. Then up until the match they gorge on anything they can to raise their weight and be a tougher opponent. Good luck do your explosive cardio plz, imagine the most winded you've ever been after squatting. That's what it's gonna be like, some skelly dyel might school you dude wish I could watch... have you seen any of the other wrestlers going you might go against? God you're in for a fuckin wild ride pal

The school's wrestlers are pretty average - at 150 pounds I /look/ larger than the majority of them; the ones in my weigh class are either 6'1 skellies or shorter than me.

>tfw median

I'll be going up against other schools and I haven't seen those guys yet.

I was wrestling 138 when I hit 1/2/3/4 and guys in 145/152 were stronger.

Just be ready to go up against strong fucks

>Start wrestling in uni
......... good luck.

I started late OP. It's fun but don't expect to All American or anything your first year. Good to hear you're embracing the grind. Right now you just need to wrestle as often as you possibly can and do some good cardio (hill sprints).

you should bjj instead, it's more challenging and rewarding.

also, the most important aspect of your fitness in any combat sport is your endurance, so you need to start running and build up your cardio.

What division are you wrestling in? Are you club aka NCWA?

>bjj
>more challenging
>more rewarding
There's a reason why BJJ tournaments won't let wrestlers who have wrestled for even a year compete in anything but advanced. GTFO with your elitism.

>1/2/3/4 at 138
Impressive

Never heard what you are talking about before, honestly it doesn't make sense to me. I guess they are saying that someone who wrestles has experience grappling, but bjj and wrestling are totally different. they don't teach submissions in high school wrestling though I do know there are submissions in wrestling like the darce choke and the twister. One thing that wrestling has that bjj doesn't is take downs. bjj needs to evolve and include takedowns and throws. but honestly, bjj is more challenging and rewarding than wrestling.

Please tell me how BJJ is more challenging than wrestling when it's evolved to a point where they don't even try to take one another down because they think it's too hard

bjj hasn't really "evolved" to the point where they don't use take downs. They've never really had them because they just aren't important in the sport. Even if a judoka or a wrestler takes me down or throws me and they land on top, if they have no bjj training, I will end up choking them or submitting them in some way.

But I am of the mind that they should strive for a complete package and should incorporate takedowns and throws, even though they are sort of unnecessary.

To answer your question there is a far deeper pool of moves and techniuqes in bjj as there are less arbitrary rules surrounding the competition.

The only rule is "no striking". You essentially are fighting without punches and kicks, sort of like how muy thai is fighting with "no grappling" as a rule.

This lack of sport centered rules and goals like pinning the back has evolved a more useful and deeper move set and combat sport.

Wrestling techniques are more high energy and explosive than bjj, thats why a wrestler would be put in advanced at a bjj tournament.

That's a foreign mindset to me. to me explosive moves = tired and gassing early in the fight. it's partly why I like judo throws better than wrestling take downs, but I learn wrestling so I can learn to sprawl and stuff a more aggressive opponent. BJJ practitioners only apply strength when submitting the opponent. The squeeze or crank is the only time we apply strength.

Other wise you waste precious energy

BJJ massively neglects the pressure game and takedown game now to the point where you can't even call it a complete style. Idk how you can claim that it's complete but just ignore a major aspect of the sport. I really don't think you've ever had a wrestler or judoka bearing down on you.

>wasting energy doing effective takedowns
>but here this judo throw that takes far more expertise is my go to!
Jesus it's pure cringe hearing you talk about martial arts. That pussified attitude is why BJJ is becoming shittier and shittier. Obstinate to see that other arts might offer you something.

This

looking back, I wish I did wrestling in my early 20's then BJJ. Wrestlers have that base/takedown skills that BJJ lacks. Luckily my instructor is also a judo brown belt.

if your BJJ club is not teaching takedowns. Find a new club or supplement with wrestling

your butthurt makes your opinions seem more convincing.
I've grappled with many a wrestler and every time they have scored the take down and everytime I have scored the submission and won the round.

Takedowns and throws aren't that important when your ground game is solid.

They are more imporatant in mma where you can be struck while on your back but even then, a bjj practioner with solid ground game doesn't have much to worry about.

Truth is you see less bjj in mma and less people doing it because of the learning curve.

It takes 2 years to move up a belt and there are 5 belts.

The move set pool is DEEP and most people don't care enough to learn the moves when they can learn takedowns and punch the guy on the ground.

Most of the time you only see bjj being practiced by the elite of the mma world.

sorry for spacing everything, it's how I organize what I'm saying in such a small response window

You may be right that the best mma fighters practice bjj, but i think that may contribute to the fact that as a standalone style, it makes no sense to make competition of it when it is almost always used in a bigger picture anyway.

Wrestling does not have this issue, it is both a sport and a style. It does not need to contribute to a bigger competative arena to stay relevant.

It doesn't matter how strong you are, you could diddly 800 pounds and get rekt by half the wrestlers in your weight class, assuming it's a decent tournament. You're gonna want to get fast feet. Also, make sure you have at least one move that you can use from top, bottom, and neutral, that you're confident with. It helps to know a lot of moves just in case, but if you're not good enough with any of them to use them without thinking, you're gonna get beat by a guy who only uses 3 or 4 moves and is unstoppable with them. Good luck OP

>this
It cant be expressed enough how important it is to know at least one move in every position.

To add to what user said: most people stick with these three moves to start. Single/double leg in neutral, stand up form bottom, and the half from top. Learn how to counter these effectively and you may be on your way to a medal.

They just let anybody walk on to a wrestling team? Is this more like club sports or intramural?

I think what you just said works against your argument of wrestling's superiority, not for it. You are essentially saying that BJJ can be used in a larger competitive arena, while wrestling cannot and suffers this limitation as it is only relevant as a sport, while BJJ is relevant as a sport and a martial art in the larger combat world.

Im suspecting its a uni club team. The only uni teams you might be able to walk on to are community college teams. Even then, its really no different

Wrestlers train so that they can use nothing but explosive moves for 6 minutes, and still finish with energy. The Japanese womens wrestling team even picked up their coaches and paraded them around the mat on their shoulders after wrestling a full 6 minutes.

In addition, I'd say learn good head control, and try to always maintain an angle on the guy.

Also to anons, how's uni wrestling vs HS wrestling?

Sprints and technique.
If its a tournament thats any way legit ( maybe not if they let kids like you wrestle) you will get fucked immediately. Either way by importance in wrestling:

1. Technique
2. Cardio
3. Willpower (maybe 2)
4. Speed
5. Strength
6 Flexibility

Work on those and you will get better, but it takes much longer than three weeks, and an insane amount of dedication

What he's saying is that wrestling is helpful with MMA just like bjj is, but bjj could not survive as a standalone sport only. While wrestling does contribute to MMA, it doesn't rely on MMA to stay relevant as a sport, unlike bjj

At my BJJ gym and in the surrounding community, tournament competitions were 3 seven minute rounds. My instructor was also adamant about making us MMA ready and would train us to spar for 5 five minute rounds like in ufc.

Just 6 minutes is not a lot for sparring unless you have never sparred before.

I wrestled for 2 years in Highschool and now do bjj. Do your schools really not teach takedowns?
You're not going to win anything, that's a fact. What you can do though, is try not to get embarrassed too badly, work on basic shit like sprawling, bridges, and hip escapes.

So when UFC fighters like brock lesnar and mark coleman are using wrestling takedowns to get the ground fight, it isnt contributing to a bigger arena? Or when they use conventional stand up techniques to get away from opponents, thats not a contribution from wrestling?

I said wrestling doesnt NEED to contribute to stay relevant. Bjj kind of does as it is still extremely niche.

Ill end by saying that both styles bring their own advantages to the mma arena but a wrestler wouldnt need to be on the ground to make his win, only get enough takedowns and avoid the ground altogether.

I think BJJ will do fine.

Anyone who knows their MMA history will know that the UFC and MMA at large was started by the Gracie family to prove the superiority of BJJ to everyone.

It's also the most accessible combat sport for those who are fans of MMA and UFC. You can train it full force semi-daily and it's lots of fun.

Have you heard of the abu dahbi BJJ tournament? Some middle eastern oil prince was so impressed by BJJ when he came to america he invented the grapplers largest tournament in the world, highest non MMA grappling tournament. it's located somewhere in the Rich middle east, like how the city dubai is.

>fucking this

I don't think you can truly organize the most important things in wrestling. If you aren't strong enough, your technique is useless. Technique, speed, and strength are like a triangle of importance. I'd say willpower is the number one thing, because if you don't have willpower, you can have all these things and lose to a half-decent opponent who tires you out in the first period

It's funny you mention brock as he was submitted by frank mir who is a heavy weight BJJ practitioner.

youtube.com/watch?v=hQb7EyCcG9c

Wrestlers are notorious for being susceptible to leg based submissions, that, and giving up their back.

Good point, it is impossible to win a match if at least 4 of those things aren't at some baseline of legitimacy. Maybe that list is more "easiest advantages to push". Its easiest to win if you're better, then still easy if you have more stamina, if you want it more, if youre stronger, finally with flexibility coming in last. But even when I say that I know I've beaten opponents who exceled in all of these areas over me

Nothing better than getting a wrestler in a triangle

See i never really said that one was better than the other. I just said that an experienced wrestler will be classed higher in bjj because of his grappling experience.

The same might as well be true if a an experienced bjj fighter walked into a wrestling tournament. He would also be ranked higher.

Not when there isnt a triangle to begin with, retard.

>those tits
holy shit, that's some actual perfection

Damn you got me, I forgot they come from the triangle fairy and have to magically appear.

Fuck, you meant literally, as in the video right?

I thought you meant metaphorically for the argument im in. Terribly sorry.

if pressure and takedowns were that important wrestlers would completely dominate all tournaments

I meant when someone who used to wrestle comes to my bjj gym and until they break a lot of old habits, end up in triangle chokes all day.

Are you serious? Most collegiate wrestlers have been in the sport since elementary school, like literally 1st grade in free style leagues and what not. You've never wrestled and think you can compete? Why start now?

shes cute.

You're 150 with those numbers? Holy shit user, I'm 210 and can bench that much

bjj just needs to copy judo takedowns +double and single legs and thats IT

I can't believe two faggots turned this entire thread into a bjj vs wrestling shit posting extravaganza

tips
> do alot of cardio. 7 minutes of wrestling sounds easy but, after 5 mins you will feel exhausted.
> strenght dose not matter nearly as much as skill. if this is your first time wrestling and you are doing it at a college level you will get destroyed.

You're most likely not going to start if you're that new, there's bound to be someone in your weight class ahead of you

That being said it's a great workout. Prove to the coach youre busting your butt to stay on and at least help the starters out. This way you benefit the team and get better.

You want to work on your stamina and technique. Time to hit some cardio, both long distance and sprints, and drill the basics. Double leg and single leg takedowns and there respective finishes.

At 150 pounds youre in the light-medium weights, and evryones cardio/stamina is already amazing just to be average. Especially at this relatively lighter weightclass you need to bust your ass during cardio

brazillian jiu jitsu

>but my cardio game is weak as fuck

Your fucked. You need to start cardio fucking yesterday. No matter what anyone says, wrestling is all about cardio and technique. I wrestled 287 while weighing 225 for years and almost never had a match where I wasn't out muscled due to size alone, technique and cardio got me to state. Also since 152 is 152 you get to learn just how much fun it is to have legs in on you for 4 minuets straight, so I hope your core and neck are made of iron.

I've been training bjj for about 6 months at a Gracie Barra gym and the program has very little focus on stand up and takedowns, and then a good portion of that is spent pulling guard. Eventually the instructors and owner went around and asked everyone to write down goals or something they wanted to learn and so many people put take downs that the no-gi instructor made a one hour class once a week before the no-gi class. This one class a week has made a huge difference over the last couple months and has shown me a taste of how grueling pure wrestling is. Grappling on the ground is pretty exhausting, but I've adapted to it, but standing up most of the time and pummeling for underhooks, looking for body locks, single legs and all that is way more tiring. Every class I am breathing mouth open, almost everyone is more tired than I ever see them during straight bjj. Lots of people who come in to do the wrestling class as their very first martial arts or grappling class quit a few rounds in and don't ever come back, and they're not even getting tossed around it's just an exhaustion thing.

Guys, I'm in the same boat as op but I do 1234 for 6 reps. Do I stand any chance?

And I'm 5'10 100kg fat fuck.