Should I read this?

Should I read this?

No read ending endurance by marcus riggletot

audio book it, not worth sitting down unless you plan to check the annotations and actually read into every single reference.

Yeah, and then read Letters from A Stoic

yeah it has some nice aphorisms in it, good for the casual reader

It'll get repetitive after awhile. He wrote it mainly to remind himself that he is master of his own feelings and reactions to events beyond his control.

whats the stoic response to wanting a girl who doesnt want you? Better yourself to attain her or get over it because its out of your control?

a-asking for a freind

Fatalism

Part of stoicism is cooperation with all beings and overcoming the obstacles in one way. This puts you at an impasse. It is up to you and what your rational mind is telling you. Perhaps you should tell her how you feel, accept the consequences, and move on with the conclusion. You will either be with her or not. If you aren't with her then you wish her success in all of her endeavors and move on to wherever you will to be. Do not cling to the past and what could have been nor anticipate a future where an opening is made for you to be with her. Stick with the moment and carry on doing what your rational mind tells you to do.

Regardless, don't forget, your time on this earth is limited. Find joy in all the things you do.

i'm with johnson, though, in believing we more often need to be reminded than instructed

Stoicism isn't a manual for life it's just an approach to hardships and extreme emotions. Basically do whatever you think you have to do but do it earnestly, without complaining and without being swayed by feelings.
Stoicism was for generals going to war and leaders of nations though, I think trying to use it for girls is a bit strange.

>Stoicism was for generals going to war and leaders of nations though, I think trying to use it for girls is a bit strange

Stoicism is for men to live virtuously and free of existential crisisisises you faget and thats exactly what I am looking for through it

i should slap your shit but I wont because I am not beholden to my emotions

If you're into stoicism I would, it's one of the most important writings in that tradition.

Reminder that having read the material=/= having understood the material. Make sure you do both.

Zarathrustra is much more interestimg

Make sure you get a modern translation. The old free version that you can find online or in shifty cheap paperbacks is garbage. It's word for word transliterated from the Greek and loses all the flow and rugged simplicity of the original.

>crisisisises
Numercial and alphabetical dubs no less, well done man.

Amy recommendations on a good translation?

Aurelius never really developed a coherent philosophy.

"Philosophy became a disease in his mind and cut him off from the truths of practical life. He was steeped in the grossest superstition; he surrounded himself with charlatans and magicians, and took with seriousness even the knavery of Alexander of Abonoteichos. The highest offices in the empire were sometimes conferred on his philosophic teachers, whose lectures he attended even after he became emperor. In the midst of the Parthian war he found time to keep a kind of private diary, his famous "Meditations", or twelve short books of detached thoughts and sentences in which he gave over to posterity the results of a rigorous
self-examination. With the exception of a few letters discovered among the works of Fronto (M. Corn. Frontonis Reliquiae, Berlin, 1816) this history of his inner life is the only work which we have from his pen. The style is utterly without merit and distinction, apparently a matter of pride for he tells us he had learned to abstain from rhetoric, and poetry, and fine writing. Though a Stoic deeply rooted in the principles developed by Seneca and Epictetus, Aurelius cannot be said to have any consistent system of philosophy. It might be said, perhaps, in justice to this "seeker after righteousness", that his faults were the faults of his philosophy rooted in the principle that human nature naturally inclined towards evil and needed to be constantly kept in check"

Just do what you're able to do and if it doesn't work out you can rest knowing it's not your fault because you did everything you could.

nobody ever did

Read the first two sections, he just kind of repeats himself after that.

That's just inflammatory. Plenty of people developed coherent philosophies. Comprehensive philosophies on the other hand, are non-existent.

No, it's not. It's autismo the manual.

as a Classics Major I would say no

Marcus was on opium for a lot of his "meditations" you're much better off reading Pliny 'The Lives' gives great inspiration while also delving into the personalities of the sickest cunts in history

Almost every artist whose work you find inspiring was probably on drugs while making it or heavily inspired by a drug trip.

Art sure, but good philosophy is done with a sober and temperate mind and soul senpai

This is now a fedora book.

People just think they have to read it and be left ein wise man

JUST don't be a cunt

i bought it, its fucking boring man