Martial Arts Thread

youtube.com/watch?v=RrlVg48-f94

Do you practice martial arts? If you do, do you practice cardio separately or is the training enough? Have you ever competed? Have you felt more confident since you started?

Describe the benefits of your practice and post videos of knockouts, submissions, notable fights, yours and otherwise.

Other urls found in this thread:

fightland.vice.com/blog/male-olympic-boxers-will-no-longer-wear-ridiculous-and-dangerous-headgear
wired.com/2016/08/olympic-boxers-arent-wearing-headgear-anymore/
youtube.com/watch?v=MRTsabfMTgs
youtube.com/watch?v=fP5LZRIqz1k
youtube.com/watch?v=Rn4oTai82sM
youtube.com/watch?v=cJf0LqJTsT8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

been doing taekwondo for years. Normally don't count it as my workout for the day (nothing worse than doing leg day and realising Ive got taek later)

only do 1hr/week but used to be 2/4 don't really have time for it in uni though...

never competed myself but my brother used to for our country. Been doing it since I was a kid so can't say if ive noticed improvements. Would definitely recommend it though...

/asp/ is all gay pro-wrestling now.

the mods abandoned us to the forces of evil.

how do i get a girl like that to have sex with me

blease resbond

I kick box .. I lift wieghts .. I cross fit 2x a week and run a few miles a day ..

I'm doing BJJ twice a week in uni but I think I'll continue to take classes after this term. Also doing Hema fencing, went in for sword and shield but we only practice longsword. I'm definitely liking it though, longsword feels badass.

i know a girl that looks just like the image i just realized

my dick was not ready for tonight

True, but trying to discuss martial arts in Veeky Forums always ends in
>lol just shoot the guy
Training martial arts without the intention of beating anyone up on the street is beyond comprehension here.

Kimuras are fun as fuck.

I used to do Savate and Boxing for several years.
Never really did cardio but when I was preparing for fights to help me stop smoking a month before the fight. I wasn't that dedicated either
Won a fight in boxing (points) and lost one in Savate (points).
Just go to a popular but not too big martial art gym where there are females (BJJ-Judo-Kickboxing, avoid Boxing or others seen more manly sports) and try to score when you guys eventually go drink one evening. Beating each others do bring people closer.

yeah but without the martial arts part im a closet homosexual who lifts weights

>boxing
>points
lightweight detected

Then be a closet homosexual who fights people then. You'll find that you aren't the only autist there. I love that because the girls are incredibly skinny it's so goddamn great.
It's amateur dude. Good luck putting a KO or a TKO with that big ass helmet.
Actually you'd have more chance in kickboxing.

Hema longsword is the shit

first, the helmet is more for protection from cuts than from concussions.

second, TKO and KOs arent uncommon in heavyweight and superheavyweight.
sometimes even in middle.

im talking about amateur here.
injuries happen more often in higher weight categories too.
>retinal detachment
>concussions.

also anybody in this thread doing anything other than:
>boxing
>MT
>kickboxing
>judo
>grappling
>bjj

gtfo because you're essentially paying for LARPing

Makes you feel like a badass
>paying for larping
yeah and? fight me irl

i actually would if i have written evidence that you wont sue me.

literally thats the only thing stopping me from beating the shit out of most "traditional" Martial artists.
lots of other people in my area doing combat sports feel the same way.

apparently in the late 1990s and early 2000s you could go gyms and challenge the people there to fights. none of that shit these days on account of all the lawsuits.
thats why you get obese fucks teaching shit like systema, krav maga and actually making money off normies who dont know any better.

Don't fuck with me dude, I've beaten up so many imaginary opponents

>open carrying longsword around just in case you run into somebody challenging your honour

b-but its okay since you cover it up with your black trenchcoat right?

It does soften the impact, especially on the jaw for me (and I kinda have the habit of not stucking my chin when I'm tired so I feel it quite often).
I was Heavyweight (85kg I think ?), and I'm not saying that helmet are magical invulnerability preventing all KOs but they do help. Amateur fights are usually quite short as well so you'll mostly end the fight before you get to do any susbstantial damage. You can only do so much in 3 rounds, especially as a beginner.
What pains me is the mysticism over the asian martial arts. On that does away with that is Judo because it's built for practicality, spar a lot and avoid "magical strike forbidden for the ring". I really hate that idea of "one strike one kill" Karate or kung fu have it's so much bullshit.

What could I do that wouldn't kill my gains / strength but still at least teaches me the basics of fighting?

Wrestling

I would lack the striking skill though, right?
I don't want to become a super striker, but I at least want to know how to throw a punch without being a complete retard at it.

fightland.vice.com/blog/male-olympic-boxers-will-no-longer-wear-ridiculous-and-dangerous-headgear
im too lazy to check the sources it cites. here's another article
wired.com/2016/08/olympic-boxers-arent-wearing-headgear-anymore/

as for the one hit one kill thing, i think its legit, in the sense that you can knock out in 1 hit. any boxer who has adequate technique knows that.

straight rears, lead hooks, rear uppercuts all can knock out in one hit if they are too stupid to defend properly. look up some of david tua's videos. he's pretty fat, but most of his fights end in first round KOs. so i definately think the one strike one kill thing can be done, its just that nobody trained is stupid enough to let the other guy get a direct hit.

the problem with CMA is quality control. they never test their skills full contact because 2deadly.
the closest you have is things like some karate lineages, but even then its semi contact scoring, not full contact.

you wont lose strength, but you will lose gains if you do striking. if you do wresling you wont lose either.
striking is one of those things you either get really good at, or learn to defend yourself against and try for a ground game.

if you dont condition your hands properly, or have good technique, you end up with some pretty nasty fractures.
if you want to keep your gains then you better off learning grappling. specifically grappling focusing more on throwing vs ground game, i.e. judo as opposed to bjj

Yeah but striking can be more heavy cardio wise, and the coach will probably have you doing cardio training in the sessions.

+ what the other guy said. Keep in mind though, grappling training can get you just as hurt. If you're sparring with a fella and he gets you in a Kimura and pushes too far (make sure you tap on the person rather than the floor), your arm's gonna be fucked for a good bit.

my ex girlfriend had something like this.
she was in the national judo championships, 6 foot tall at 85ish kilos, so she was in the open weight division.

tried to sweep a fat chick, fat chick falls and lands on her knee. couldnt walk for months.

I think you vastly overestimate how much you'd lose, especially if you only want the basics. Sure 90 minutes of boxing or kick boxing is a lot of cardio, but it's only as hard as you can go. A pro will do far more than a beginner because he won't tire out as easily.
It's not 2 classes a week that'll kill your gains.

However a problem in striking is that punches heavily works your front delt. Couldn't do any BP or OHP so there is that
Legs soreness is a problem. I lose all my reactivity and it's a pain to box with tired legs.
Uh interesting read. Thanks for it. I knew that there were problems when boxing gloves got bigger mid XXth century, resulting in more brain damage than the smaller gloves (since you could hit the head more often without damaging your hand) but I thought that the shortness of amateur fights were mitigating that.
Judo is absolutely brutal. I'm pretty sure it has more serious injury than any other martial arts

its meant to. the fighters never get fatigued to the point where they cant defend themselves.

one of the things that contributes to concussions is relaxing and not keeping your chin tucked. also weakness of the neck muscles from prolonged straining tires them out and makes knockouts more likely since less force is transmitted down the body.

but imo if you are fighting in heavy or super heavy, that benefit is not as much as in lighter divisions because the people swing harder.

during a drill a lightweight put a full force rear uppercut into my solar plexus. not anywhere near as painful as a jab to the solar plexus from a heavyweight.
its just the way things are, human muscle is the same density no matter what division you are in.

hence lights will never get as powerful as heavies, while the amount of force required to knockout is the same regardless of weight class.

its kinda sad really. but then again there's a huge genetic component to getting knocked out. some trainers advocate anterior neck muscle exercises, like looking down at your feet during crunches and situps, and they do help, but a strong chin is essential in heavyweight, even in amateurs.

that being said, at lower levels some people dont have enough skill to swing hard enough to knockout. still, if you compete and get unlucky enough to be used as fodder for somebody else who is planning to go pro soon then you're still fucked.

Lol m8, Id bet my left nut that you're a dyel faggot role playing as a hard cunt.

>during a drill a lightweight put a full force rear uppercut into my solar plexus. not anywhere near as painful as a jab to the solar plexus from a heavyweight.
That is very true indeed, I see that even more when kicking in savate, especially front kicks/chassés. Light and middle actually bounce off me if it's blocked. Granted that it did the job of managing distance but against someone my weight I get pushed back.
Light and middle weight have a higher intensity of strikes tho for obvious reasons and frankly it gives fights a pretty interesting technical side. It's great as a HW if you try to actually force yourself to evade and slip by them instead of shrugging them.
Fucking frustrating , especially against a middle weight that's faster but has the same reach as you do.
>its kinda sad really. but then again there's a huge genetic component to getting knocked out.
Such is life, but not fighter is perfect. That's what makes fighting so great in the first place.
>people dont have enough skill to swing hard enough to knockout
Yeah, as well as seeing opening and preparing for them. But that's just experience.

guys i got my first bjj competition tomorrow

im ultra heavy so i'm doing that and the open weight class. what should i expect?

i agree. its good training for your defense.
against somebody faster with a shorter reach its a matter of walking them into a corner.
against somebody with a longer reach its just defending their straights until you can get close enough. you'll want to stay just in the range where they cant launch straights effectively but you still can. rounder punches take longer than straights on your part, and i find they slow down quite a bit.

as for somebody with equal reach length and faster, i found that you should let them initiate more and just counterpunch. its the only reasonable strategy as if you initiate, odds are you wont get back fast enough to defend. bait if you have to in order to make them throw predictable leads and counter accordingly.

the only issue is that it leaves you open to feints and ends up being a slower paced fight since you lose initiative, but if you wear them down a bit so they ease up on the aggression, then you start initiating again

You'll fight the boss of the gym.
Good luck.
I like to use long left counter uppercut as well when pinned in a corner by a faster opponent. They work so goddamn well it's unreal. Especially on a left bhook.
On a faster opponent control of the center is even more important however, you really don't want to get into the corner because you'll get a flurry of blows and that'll be hard to get out.

The tbing is I just want some basic confidence in being able to defend myself if needed.
Not sure if that can be done with BJJ or other grappling?
Because in street fights people usually punch you in the face.

> basic confidence in being able to defend myself if needed.
You put yourself at a greater risk by actually engaging into confrontation.
The best way to get unharmed out of a street fight is to not fight it in the first place.
If you live in a dangerous neighbourhood weapons will always be a better choice

Right, but whenever I get into these situations I become extremely jittery.
A shitty feeling, makes me feel absolutely unable of defending myself.

And while I agree, that most of the time running away is the better solution, sometimes it's just not possible.

>sometimes it's just not possible
First step of self defense is to not get yourself in such a situation. I can't think that'd you'd be dumb enough to go into drug gang territory every weekend and get robbed everytime.

But to answer your question, indeed, sparring will make you feel more confident in yourself. It doesn't matter which one it is. Wrestling, BJJ, Judo, Boxing, Kick boxing. Do enough sparring and you'll feel like you can take on the world. It's an awesome feeling and comes really quick.
Double edged sword but whatever you're a grown man .

Black belt judo, been practicing it for 13 years, reduced competitions and trainings lately a lot..
Was 2nd placed in my state championship at younger categories, never actually been in love with the sport though..
It gave me ton of security and pretty much shaped me, kinda regret I mostly got out of it

Yeah so then you slam them to the floor and give them a boot to the face

I don't walk around gang areas, such don't even exist here.
I live in a rich city.

But even here the usual drunk punks walk around.
What if some of them straight out attack your or one of your family members?

You'd be forced to do something.

that usually only works once they've started their flurry becuase they're too focused on offense and youre too choked up for straights.

usually more experienced people back off as soon as you start throwing return punches, sometimes even before. they'll get in, throw, get out, then go back in before you move.

but lets be honest, if you throw hard even against their guard they feel it.
and you'll never fight somebody that fast in your own weight category, unless they only throw with their arms.

listen to if you think you'll get into a street fight learn striking so you can run away if shit goes south. no point grappling when it ties you up so you cant run away.

but be prepared to lose your gains

how many of you guys have actually been in a proper street fight with someone?

Grappling can still help when you need to run.

Say a fella tackles you to the floor and starts pounding ya, if you know a bit of ground game you can get him off ya so you can run.

All in all its best to know a bit of both as said before; or just don't get into fights.

Not street, but at secondary school (don't know the US equivalent - I was about 15).

Guy hid my bag in the courtyard, so I chucked his into a bush. He came up and swing at me, so I got him into a head lock, swung him around a bit in the lock, then pushed him into a bush. Quite a fun experience.

Just go spar. It will build your confidence. You might have dreams where your punches do nothing though

>playing with twigs and knives

top nerd

If I did sparring only twice a week it surely wouldn't kill my gains right?

Doesn't it just come down to much I eat? Boxing training would be cardio intensive, thus I would have to eat more to maintain.

Or is what people actually say happening - the anaerobic muscle mass from strength/BB type training would, to a certain degree, transform into aerobic, endurance type muscle?

You only lose gains if you don't consume enough calories for your output.

Just eat more if you're worried.

you'll condition to it eventually. eat plenty. yes gomad if necessary. get a good sleep

Any of you ever trained no gi wrestling?

I'm starting BJJ soon, and every now and then we'll do a no gi session, where we'll use techniques from Judo, Sambo, Greco-Roman etc. Just wondering what to expect from that.

I do boxing and running, I quit of lifting because it bores me, still a midleweight. Cardio helps me with my stamina and it is very important for late rounds.

Yeah life used to be just like Pokemon mate. Shame you weren't even born yet you little runt.

bump

Be famous Brazilian television actor.

youtube.com/watch?v=MRTsabfMTgs

reading this thread

>"I wana learn how to fight in the street
>"dude bjj and wrestling lmao"
>"but I want to punch"
>"dude it kills your gains lmao" dont get in fights"

wtf?

He wanted to know what he could do that wouldn't interfere too much with his weightlifting.

Boxing/Muay Thai would affect his lifting progress more than Judo/Wrestling would.

youtube.com/watch?v=fP5LZRIqz1k

>apparently in the late 1990s and early 2000s you could go gyms and challenge the people there to fights

This has been done for hundreds of years in the martial art world

>the problem with CMA is quality control. they never test their skills full contact because 2deadly

Is that why there is a tradition of challenging dojos? Or the bare knuckle fights?

For me the dreams went away when I got older and more confident with my abilities and with the rest of the world

It comes from rooted low self esteem / uncertainty

McDojos and the fat delusional middle age masters typically teach CMA. That's all user means.

Why doesn't op get a concealed handgun license like the rest of us, that don't want to scrap like a Neanderthal.

I don't take karate or kung fu or taekondo but there is definitely a bias, the fat masters are real though and need to be purged

White belt?

You'll be fine as long as you don't injure yourself i think

ye i'm a whitebelt. i think i have good tachi waza for a whitebelt so the strat is to either throw them or get them to pull guard and then rely on my passing game.

This worked for me as an absolute newbie, but not in competition, never competed - still, it can be helpful.

Keep your limbs to yourself (as important as keeping the guard up in boxing), make them lose balance and orientation nearly 100% of the time (never comfortable), keep them reacting to your moves, increase your body awareness to predict their next move and surprise them.

bjj 2x per week
Boxing 2x per week
Judo 1x per week

Don't compete as I also have a day job. All my cardio comes from doing those, so I don't do any additional cardio. My body would be too broken down after that and my lifting. I feel like it has been enough, I've noticed a big stamina increase.

Yes, it has increased my confidence. I look better, I feel better, and feel more secure and comfortable wherever I am.

>Ywn have your arm broken by a sexy Brazilian girl

>wearing a black trench coat
>Not wearing glorious landsknecht colors that will scare away any person attempting to challenge your honor and that will attract all the wenches to your magnificent codpiece

Does that codpiece come in men's lmao

>implying the glorious art of sambo is LARPing

What should I do if I want to get a good workout, but not get beat the shit out of? I don't want to do any actually fighting for now, with other people. I'm 18 and I figure I can try that shit a bit later.

My parents used to make me do kung fu a long time ago but recently I've been wanting to do martial arts again but at a cool place so I can feel like I'm in a 80s movie.

Mate you're just being a pussy.

Go do a sport based martial art. Most should have beginner sessions, so you can practice the art without sparring/rolling. The gym I'm at, you usually have a few 1-2-1 sessions with the instructor so you can start the group lessons knowing your shit a bit more and feeling more comfortable.

But make sure you do spar/roll, it will boost your confidence both in and out of the gym.

You're just being a pussy and you know it.

It's the only size they came in for men who could go into a push of pike without flinching

Try judo.

> you're being a pussy
Yeah, I know, I just have a lot of shit to do with regards to my classes and college and stuff. A few years ago I was a black belt in kung fu and I used to do those wushu tournaments, I wasn't great though. I'm fine with getting beat up a bit but I prefer to do those kinds of things to myself like breaking my ass doing jumps at a bike park and not telling my parents about it even though my ass was black and blue. I just don't really like the thought of actually getting punched or some shit. But you're right. What arts would you recommend as sport based?

Looks cool, I could give it a try.

That and wrestling count as grappling

If you want to do flashy shit and get in excellent shape, do capoeira. I'll warn you that it's not ideal for self defense.

youtube.com/watch?v=Rn4oTai82sM

Any thai boxers itt?

Got crazy KO clips?

>martial arts thread
>op pic is a woman
kys

Training 6 days a week for bjj. Just started in July but got 3rd in my first tournament today. Lost my first match due to freaking out. It was 5-9 tho. Made me wanna start training even harder though.

Can you learn anything on your own? I can't afford classes.

If your intention is to learn how to defend yourself, don't do that on your own.

you could watch videos a learn moves, but it has nothing to do with being instructed by a professional and practicing every move/technique with a partner.

>haha you really think all those show muscles make you strong? put em up, mister.

what do?

here bro

That's such a horrible situation. Either you let her kick the crap out of you or you have to fuck up a girl.

Note for edgelords:

>Implying the police won't come and arrest you after you kill this bitch in the ring

I teach a nogi class. I dunno what to tell you. It's fucking grappling. Depends on how your coach runs it.

when will they learn...

how to counter an aggressive boxer?

youtube.com/watch?v=cJf0LqJTsT8

Sakuraba isn't a manlet. That bitch is just huge.

Who Krab Guard here?

Aggressive boxer's are usually manlets. So I just kick them.

teep

Judo is just lifting people up and putting them down, so your gains will help judo and there is no striking, so try that.