Why were the Japanese once considered white by European scholars?

Why were the Japanese once considered white by European scholars?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentlemen's_Agreement_of_1907
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

[citation needed]

Have you seen what most other east asians look like?

>why was a highly civilized race with white skin considered white?
Gee, I wonder...

The modern taxonomic/genetic understanding of race is a remarkably recent invention.

pretty consistent ratio of ugliness i'd say, though japan and SK have a lot less of a peasant culture nowadays
southeast asians? now we're talking

I'm going to second this request for a citation, at least because it sounds interesting.

SEA's are more attractive on average you reckon? Maybe.
Han-Chinese are the most attractive though. But their hotties are more rare.

White?
What do you mean by that?
If you mean skin color, yes, East Asians(on the northern end) tend to be quite pale.
I hope you don't mean along these lines. Beauty is subjective due to cultural norms and reach of those norm.

I meant that they're much darker in skin tone

Again, depends on the part of the country. People in Okinawa and parts of kyushu(southern part) will be more tan.
People in the northern Areas will be more pale. Hell the Ainu, natives of Japan, may have had some Eurasian ancestry.
Why is this so hard to grasp?
Another thing to consider is Asians(like Indians) do have a fondness for the whole "fair skin=upper class" idea in social stratification. Women literally covered themselves in alabaster most of the time. pic related.

Because they have White skin?

>Why were the Japanese once considered white by European scholars?

Only by Anglos. And only because they were looking for someone to buddy up vs. Russia in the East, and to keep Germans off China.

As usual, you have the cringy poetry of Rudyard Kipling attesting to this.

>Only by Anglos.
No. Saint Xavier (by extension the Spanish) considered them White as well.

They weren't. The US had laws to prevent them from coming here even.

>By extension the Spanish
Hahaha, no.

I'm Flip. In our history the only Japanese the Spaniards accepted and allowed to live in the Philippine colony were the Christian ones. Not Christian? You're a heathen savage and probably King Taicosama's (Spain's name for Hideyoshi Toyotomi) spy.

To add to that: religion mattered to 1500s Spain more than race did. Even the "Casta" system existed more on paper as in Natives were OK in their book so long as they called the Spanish King their liege and were Catholic. Spain started its empire in a time when dynastic loyalties mattered more than nationality or ethnicity.

Kipling sucks so much dick.

Like, I get the "Nationalist/Patriotic" part but he's such a fucking political weather-vane.

The boomers in my country eat him up because of the anglo-nostalgia he represents.

That was the Chinese but yeah it was pretty indicative that Whites, in America at leas, did not like Asians.

They look pretty much the same. Most of the Koreans in MASH were played by Japanese-Americans.

Women also bound their feet, pierced their noses, and colored their teeth black.

The Chinese ban de-facto applied to all East Asians.

Japanese only got an exception in the 1890s after the “unequal treaties” between Japan and the U.S. were ended.

Oddly enough, Koreans and Republic of China Chinese were banned until the immigration act of 1955.

t. Japanese-American

They were only considered "honorary white" in apartheid South Africa because they were the richest nation in the world during the '70s and '80s and the shameless Afrikaners wanted their yenkels.

>bound feet.
Chinese women. Not Japanese; that was never a thing there.
Nose piercing is an Indian thing.
What is your point anyway with such a statement?

Oh really? Sauce? I had no idea. It makes sense given the tendency for whites to call all Asians "Chinese."

Hitler isn't a scholar.

>I'm Flip.

Post Discarded

>yenkels

They did the same for Taiwan.

>highly civilized race
lol

>Spanimoors
>White

They weren't, the whole racial equality clause failing at Versailles proves that

>White skin
Photoshoots of actors and pop singers with heavy lighting and/or makeup are not necessarilybrepresentative of what Japs look like, you weaboo.
Take a look at a Japanese crowd, most of them have rather light brown skin.

Most of them don't.

Where did you read that?

That much is true though.

And btw, some of them do have white skin and some of them do have some more occidental looking features.
Anyway, I cringe at weebs that say Japanese look white in general or that they are white. They are a remarkable civilization on their own and there's no need to relate them to white people.

Not just whites. All Latinos call all Asians "chino"

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentlemen's_Agreement_of_1907

My point is that all women do/did weird things to improve their attractiveness/beauty from a modern viewpoint.

I am from the palest part of Japan (Akita Prefecture) and we clearly have light olive skin.

There are no Japanese that are lighter skinned than Northern Europeans, and very few as light as Southern Europeans.

Most of Kyushu and the Kansai region is as tan as Chinese. If we go into the sun we look like Cantonese.

In no way are Japanese white. We are Asian!

Ive heard the quotes op is talking about. When they encounter the Japanese race was not as important or as well developed an ideology as it was even a century later.

The Japanese tend to have tan or pale skin, and unlike say the Aztecs, the Japanese were a late iron age culture with a nobility, a warrior class and a large body of priestly scholars.

Given all that it makes sense when writing home priests would make comparisons to Europe

This. East Asia has remarkable skin color diversity compared to Europe. Some people are darker than others.