Thoughts on t-nation.com/workouts/531-how-to-build-pure-strength
Is it this the ultimate strength workout?

Other urls found in this thread:

t-nation.com/training/5-3-1-for-hardgainers
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>tfw no fat assed latina gf to call me pendejo while she sits on my face

I mean why even get out of bed anymore?

Latinas are crazy as fuck in and out of the bed

Their family is even crazier

answer the question

eh texas method has worked better for me

531 is pretty good for truly advanced lifters and roiders. most intermediates can't get enough hormonal and nervous system stimulation from training each lift only once per week. texas method or a similar program would be better

I can't you overloaded my brain with a sense of loss for something I never had.

i ran 5/3/1 for 9 months

bw of 195-205
squat went from 345-430
bench from 265-300
ohp from 145-185
dl from 455-515

im getting bored/tired of the program, my body is beat and i want to cut some fat off now.

so i'm going to put strength on the back burner for a few months and become aesthetic

it's a great program, make sure you do variations of the main lifts and add a 2nd upper body day.

>parroting broscience the Veeky Forums edition

5/3/1 for powerlifting trains the big movements twice a week. 5/3/1 for general big guy purposes trains every muscle twice a week with different movements.

Both variations train muscles more often than SS does.

It's a fucking rip-off of BiggerFasterStronger's high school football training program that Wendler did when he played.

Goddam faggot should pay them.

For you

>Both variations train muscles more often than SS does.
False SS does all movements 3x a week. As does Texas method.

That being said 5/3/1 is a good program for normies but if your goal is get as strong as possible then your better of using a immediate program like TM. Dosent have to be TM but just uses a shorter training cycle then 5/3/1

Essentially a beginner can get stronger every training session, intermediate has weekly cycles, then when that stop's progressing you have fortnightly cycles and so on. To the point that someone may have 12+ week cycles to make a PR.

I'd start someone on a novice routine similar to SS / SL / PPL / 5x5 / whatever (they're all similar enough anyway), then after 2-4 months move them to a slightly more involved intermediate routine for the next 2-4 months.
After that 531 until they plateau, since it's good as a first powerlifter's program.

After that probably the GZCL program, or a 3x/week version of Smolov Jr.

This program is more interesting
t-nation.com/training/5-3-1-for-hardgainers

Basically this.

For progression, you should probably go from daily (SS/SL) to weekly (TM) to monthly (531) progression.

The basic setup of 531 (4 day Upper/Lower) is great for weekly progression too, you'd just have to disregard the stuff about percentages and stick to 3x5. I.e. You add 0-10 pounds to each lift every session, which means every week.
You can still train lifts twice per week, just not at the same intensity. I.e.
Heavy DL + Light Squat
Heavy OHP + Light Bench
Heavy Squat + Light DL
Heavy Bench + Light OHP

And unless you have specific training goals for powerlifting or other sports, yeah, you can do 531 pretty much indefinitely.

no, SPOTOSHOT 2.0 is

>False SS does all movements 3x a week. As does Texas method.
But the volume is more on 5/3/1.

>That being said 5/3/1 is a good program for normies but if your goal is get as strong as possible then your better of using a immediate program like TM.
This is absolutely bullshit. Lots of athletes, strongmen and some powerlifters use 5/3/1 template to become stronger. Jim Wendler himself has amazing stats. No good/famous atheletes use TM.

>Essentially a beginner can get stronger every training session
On 5/3/1 you become stronger every session, because every session you tries to hit your PR. Yes, your training maximum encreases every month, but this is not the same as "become stronger every month".

Doing beyond 5/3/1 right now like this user said except 3 days a week It's fucking great. AMRAP, Joker sets and picking appropriate accessories really fires me up.

Worked awesome for my deadlift. Sorta ok for squat.

Bench didn't go up at all and OHP actually decreased.

I think it's a good idea, but same progression don't work for all muscle groups.

>Bench didn't go up at all and OHP actually decreased.
You need more volume in accessories for upper body.

Yeah I kept the progression but added an extra upper body day.

My program resembles PHAT more than the original 531.

But it's fine, I'm happy for now.

>SS Trains all movements three times a week

By movement I meant powerlifting movement. If you want a big total you have to bench 3 times a week, or at least 2.

5/3/1 has monthly max on paper progression but you increase the weight on the bar by more than TM does every week. The only difference is that you drop the load and increase reps every 3 week cycle.

Also, SS trains important muscles like chest, lats, biceps, lateral/posterior delts etc less than twice a week and trains lower body 3 times a week which is just a bad idea in general unless your goal is to build some mass for a sport that has nothing to do with lifting.

The 3 day TM is even worse since you literally do warmup weight bench sets as the only bench practice for half the weeks.

The 4 day version of TM is almost the same as 5/3/1 from the new book with 5x5 opposite lift as the assistance movements, except that you progress a tad differently, but at the end of the day you're still training one set to near failure and then doing some volume work. Whether you do 8 reps one week, 5 the next and 3 the next on 5/3/1 or just do 5 reps every time on TM really doesn't matter. If you get 10 reps on your 85% day you can always bump up your max if you want to. Wendler isn't your mother, he's not gonna scold you for not listening.

If your lifts are going down you should be doing less work, not more. Take a week off and you'll probably be stronger than before. You're just tired.

Jesus man my family's here with me and you here making me hide a raging boner

Did it for about a year, deadlift, bench and OHP shot up like a motherfucker but my squat went up like 50 poons and then I stalled hard

Just curious but what were your PR's in bench, squat, DL, and OHP?

Squat: 5/3/1
Hack Squat: 3 sets of 8-14 reps
Leg Extensions: 3 sets of 8-14 reps
Leg Curls: 3 sets of 8-14 reps
Ab wheel: 3 sets of 8-14 reps

Bench Press 5/3/1
DB Incline Press: 3 sets of 8-14 reps
DB Fly's: 3 sets of 8-14 reps
Triceps Pushdowns: 3 sets of 8-14reps
Calves: 3 sets of 8-14 reps

Deadlift: 5/3/1
Bent Over Barbell Rows: 3 sets of 8-14
Barbell Shrugs: 3 sets of 8-14 reps
Chin Ups: 3 sets of 8-14reps
Lying Leg Raises: 3 sets of 8-14 reps

Military Press: 5/3/1
DB Arnold Press: 3 sets of 8-14 reps
Face pulls with stop: 3 sets of 8-14 reps
Scott Curls: 3 sets of 8-14 reps
Calves: 3 sets of 8-14 reps

What do you guys think about my accessory work? Planning to try my PRs this week and starting next monday.