Be in biochem lecture rn

>be in biochem lecture rn
>professor says obesity is genetic

The obesity rate has increased faster than the population. Ask him/her (I assume her) how the obesity gene has propagated faster than reproduction has occurred.

But it is, you retard.
See: Fiji, American Samoa

It's environmental. Did you tell him he's a fat cuck?

It's about 40% genetics

Did you ask him for his sources?

lol shes actually some skinny middle aged women. so no.

What gene allows the human body to create extra fat from a source other than food? And what is that other source?

Since that's literally what you are claiming.

And ten percent luck
Twenty percent skill
Fifteen percent concentrated power of will

That's not what I am claiming at all. It is well documented that some people produce more insulin and triglyceride transporters. This means they naturally consolidate more fat, leading to lower blood sugar and more appetite.

Reducing metabolism to the "calories in - calories out" meme shows how embarrassingly ignorant you are on the topic.

And 100% reason op is a faggot

It is literally still calories in - calories out

Ask her why we haven't started harvesting human fat and refining it into fuel since they are able to generate fuel out of thin air. They may have just solved all of our future energy problems.

Not him, but it still works even for people with the gene, which i believe is also recessive from memory. Which adds weight to this argument

All said and done, the simply definition maybe slightly ignorant, but it does work.

Don't they produced more insulin as a direct cause of overeating?

There you go again with that shit.

It is the literal survival instinct that is being manipulated. That's why some populations have a much higher rate of obesity, because they feel the need to eat more often than others. It has been empirically proven dozens of times. Ergo, it is the result of genetic forces interacting with our caloric intake.

We have a choice, now. Either we understand this and try to treat it sensibly, or we resort to meming like teenage faggots like you are right now.

Some populations produce more naturally as a way to survive starvation by gorging in times of plenty.

Translate this to modern times, when we have abundant calorie sources, now we have an obesity epidemic.

noice

Im in a family with 80% fatties and it was because i was fed fucking chips and doritos almost all fucking day so stick your bullshit up your ass,now i do exercise and know how to eat by myself (mostly eggs and rice with tuna lol poorfag)

Culture not genetics. Fiji culture, American culture, Samoa culture. It doesn't matter how exceedingly efficient your genetics store energy if you don't eat the calories. No amount of genetics puts food in your mouth.

Way to miss the point.

>pic related.
"It's instincts brah!"

You could say my family genetics is of fatties but no,its their fucking alimentation and the new styles of life made people more sedentary and now most meat is bullshit to the top of strogen that makes fat reduction more hard and more fat on meat because overpoblation of cows on a small zone so they dont ''walk'' or lose fat like they normally would

Like i said in The survival instinct is being manipulated. Genetics have existed long before culture, and when we observe differences in fat storage mechanisms between separate populations, that lends to the idea of a genetic basis.

A person walking along who sees food but isn't hungry will not eat it. However, a person who sees the food and is hungry will to survive. Not it is a matter of understanding the basis of hunger to deal with modern health concerns.

Can somebody translate this to English for me?

You are talking about hunger, about genetic forces and what not, it is STILL just calories in and calories out. It doesn't matter how fucking hungry the enviroment has made you, or how genetics has fucked your leptin or bloodsugar/insulin whatever that makes you wanan binge. IT IS STILL FUCKING CALORIES IN VS CALORIES OUT

Okay, so, again, what does the body use as raw material, if it isn't food above and beyond what the body needed for energy? What you are saying literally violates the laws of physics.

Not the same guy or op, but if this additional production of insulin coupled with energy in vs. energy out is a contributor to weight gain, is it not intellectually dishonest to not mention the two together in an academic context?

As opposed to strictly saying "genetics is the cause of obesity?"

>39284291
yes their bodies are being manipulated to think that they need to eat more, yet still, if they have the will to not overeat, they will not be fat.

"Fatties gonna fat."

ooga booga study more and then come back

See It is still cals in/cals out, but that is at its best an oversimplification. Yes, people have self-control to an extent, but raw animal instinct tends to get the best of that. The point, that you outlined with leptin/insulin is that there IS a genetic basis to hunger and therefore obesity.

Genetics might be a factor but it has more to do with willpower then any genetic predisposition.

Unless you're saying that willpower is a genetically heritable trait.

From what I understand from the OP, the professor never said that obesity was not also caused by cal intake.

Example, to say "apples are red" is not intellectually dishonest because you did not also mention that they are round. Simply put, the professor said that genetics is a cause of obesity

genetics --> survival instinct (hunger) --> overeating
is a perfectly valid model of obesity, though not the complete picture

Appeal to nature is a logical fallacy. The same logic justifies a lot of horrible crimes as animal instinct. Society demands better of people then animal nature. They are perfectly able to not eat so much. They choose not to.

It's mostly cultural foods. Hawaii and many Pacific islanders eat total garbage and animal intestines and shit. I'm Pacific islander myself and attest 100% to this my family is skinny fat as fuck except for me and my sister who just stopped eating our native foods.

If fat storage and genetics were that huge, many Europeans would be fatter as whites have higher fat storage than say Asians.

By that token you could say that rape is genetic.
genetics----> desire to procreate----> rape
Or any violent crime or social ill.

Willpower may very well be an inherited trait, though that is not the point. Nor am I appealing to nature on this, I am explaining what scientists have empirically found to be true.

10,000 years is all that separates us from our hunter-gather ancestors in terms of civilization, and only about 100 years separates the majority of us from a farming lifestyle to a consumer lifestyle. To say that we are at our base any different is ridiculous

>raw animal instinct tends to get the best of that

if you cannot control self-destructive impulses you are subhuman. I might want to sleep 12 hours a day and spend most of my waking hours fucking, but I don't do that because I'm capable of sublimating my desires in service of higher goals, responsibilities, and ideals.

Rape is how the majority of your ancient ancestors procreated, though.

An appeal to nature would be
>most of my ancestors reproduced through rape, therefore it should be acceptable

While a fact of nature is
>The desire to rape is ingrained in our DNA

Of course, this is just an example which is up for dispute

Congratulations, bud. Not sure what that does to address the rest of the population, but I think you deserve a pat on the back for being "above it".

Nobody's saying that the human body is well adapted to consumerist lifestyles.

But to say that obesity is genetic and not a result of a cultural shift in food availability is addressing the wrong part of the problem.

Obesity isn't on the rise because more people have obese genes.

There are a myriad of diseases and ailments in this world...a lot are linked with genetics. I don't see how it's too far out there to think obesity is genetic.

I'm pretty sure your doc said that there are generic factors that play into gaining weight.
Which is objectively right.

I doubt he said a obese person is only so because of genes.

remember kids every single thing is only ever caused by another single thing and never a combination of things

Genetic factors*

Obesity = genetics + culture + personal lifestyle

Not sure how this contradicts anything I said, since I believe that we should not focus on only one facet, but basically yes.

the contention is this: genetics are irrelevant outside of rare diseases given correct eating habits. Most people are lazy and dishonest and will therefore ascribe outsize importance to genetics because they feel it excuses their poor behavior.

Not the other guy, but genetics can play a big role in your lifestyle.
For instance, there's a genetic factor involved in whether or not a person exercises regularly.
Is it so farfetched that there's a genetic factor involved in how people eat?

The thing is, most of these people draw the line too far away from personal freedom and ability to react/change to circumstances, into the realm of the spooky unknown.

The fact of the matter is that obesity/overweightness runs deeper in dumb, lower IQ people.

And it does so because these people do not have the ability to think novel thoughts. Caloric restrictions, food restrictions and perhaps novel thoughts.

So in a way, it is kinda possible to see it as genetics being to blame. But they should add to this fact, the fact that they are soulless animals who like dogs, are incapable of resisting foods, or sniffing butts in the dogs cases.

Simply put, most people have a hardwired desire to consume high caloric, sugary foods, because on average, these things were rare to encounter, and instead of the brain judging that rarity, and adjusting your food lust to it in real time.

These people do not have this mental mechanism in their brain. They have a simple mechanism that is based on averages over very long periods of time. On non malleable DNA. This system of adaptation on the fly was simply not given to them by evolution, not push off in the the conscious mind because they didnt need it.

But the people who did have this system, the usually higher IQ people, or just those who had enough food stress in the past perhaps that allowed it to move to a different part of the brain, are now doing fine.

And evolution will cull about 90% of the world like this in the coming 50 years.

You can't reason with autists lad.

sure, in a state of animal ignorance it is definitive. With knowledge of concepts, causes, and effects, it means precisely dick because it's a conscious choice with known outcomes.

The real question here:

Is your professor fat?

I can't believe we've made it to 50+ replies before asking this question. As we all know, fat people are weak-willed and ultimately more easily manipulated into being intellectually dishonest/biased. So this is a valid quesiton.

I know plenty of smart and motivated fat people..a lot are not fat because they are weak willed. It's usually because of things out of their control.

I thought her fat elbow was a tit hanging out at first

>>>Facebook/instagram

fucking faggot

bullshit. are they being force-fed?

Having instinct to eat more ≠ More calories magically synthesized that results in wrong calorie in calorie out portions. They still consume more, doesnt mean one burger = more weight compared to if a person not from that region had a burger

>Reducing metabolism to the "calories in - calories out" meme shows how embarrassingly ignorant you are on the topic.
>the laws of thermodynamics isn't real

I've eaten lunch with some and they never finish their plates and are very slow eaters. So no, quite the opposite of being force-fed.

kay, so they're choosing to eat too much when you're not around. got it.

It would be more correct to say that genetics is a strong factor in obesity.

Genetics don't determine whether or not you are obese, but they do determine how likely you are to become obese.

Dude, don't make a post insulting stupid people that's also this mind-numbingly retarded. You are making yourself look bad.
Dog's don't sniff butts because they are dumb or lack impulse control. Sniffing butts provides them with valuable information about other dogs, if it was disadvantageous they wouldn't have been genetically selected to do it.
Also, the correlation between obesity and intelligence almost disappears when you account for income level. Intelligent people have higher incomes, and can afford a healthier lifestyle, ergo less obesity.
Lastly, people who had more food stress in the past would not have adapted to like sweet or fatty foods less, they would have adapted to like them more, to push them to acquire such foods, upping their odds of surviving starvation events.

This user gets it.
He's not saying "calories in/out" isn't a thing, he's just saying the behavior and chemistry that dictates feeding behavior is genetically varied.

i think people just burn calories alot slow than others which makes them more prone to being obese. my mom eats like 2,000 calories a day and is a solid 300 hundred pounds. she mostly eats Philadelphia cream cheese on crackers and the occasional sandwhich and drinks those calorie free frescas. but if i eat the same shit i gain no weight. i barely even surpass 2,000 calories and ill eat a whole thing of cream cheese with club crackers and a pbj. i have my dads genetics so im skinny as fuck. woulda been awesome if i could have like a mix of both her fatty genes and my dads skinny genes

>discussing genetics in a biochem class