Inevitability of God

Is it true that, after reaching a certain point in their studies, physicists start believing in some form of cosmic entity (but not in man-made ideas of religion)?

>The first gulp from the glass of natural sciences will turn you into an atheist, but at the bottom of the glass God is waiting for you.
- Unknown

Some think the quote can be attributed to Werner Heisenberg, the German physicist, but it cannot.

(The quote cannot be found in Heisenberg's published works, and Hildebrand apparently does not declare his source. (...) Dr. Hirsch suggests the quote could have been fabricated by a fundamentalist English speaking Christian seeking support for his faith from the remarks of Francis Bacon, in "Of Atheism" (1601): "A little philosophy inclineth man’s mind to atheism; but depth in philosophy bringeth men’s minds about to religion" , and those of Alexander Pope, in "An Essay on Criticism" (1709): "A little learning is a dangerous thing; drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, and drinking largely sobers us again.")

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Werner_Heisenberg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Forgot to include the source for that.
en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Werner_Heisenberg

It is not God that is waiting at the bottom of the glass, but mystery - the mystery of consciousness, the mystery of why there is something at all rather than nothing, and so on - mystery that science has no means of tackling. Now, you can call mystery using the word "God" if you'd like, but certainly it's not the God of any organized religion that is waiting at the bottom of the glass.

>Now, you can call mystery using the word "God" if you'd like, but certainly it's not the God of any organized religion that is waiting at the bottom of the glass.
Oh yeah, I agree as stated in the post.
Wonder why this why almost all physicists i met at my uni believed in something other than ourselves between heaven and earth.

Wonder if this is why*

Chemistry is the best subject to study if you want to find God.

The elements are so well organized the only explanation could be a higher being

>we dunno so god m'kay
BRAINLETS STOP, PLEASE!

>“It may seem bizarre, but in my opinion science offers a surer path to God than religion.”

>“People take it for granted that the physical world is both ordered and intelligible. The underlying order in nature-the laws of physics-are simply accepted as given, as brute facts. Nobody asks where they came from; at least they do not do so in polite company. However, even the most atheistic scientist accepts as an act of faith that the universe is not absurd, that there is a rational basis to physical existence manifested as law-like order in nature that is at least partly comprehensible to us. So science can proceed only if the scientist adopts an essentially theological worldview.”

–Physicist Paul Davies, the winner of the 2001 Kelvin Medal

Real answer is probably that most physicists like most of the population are religious and not less likely to use their status as a fallacious evidence in favor of their beliefs.

No.

Ah yes, sorry I rushed to comment without fully reading your post.
I think there are questions that are probably in principle inaccessible to science. Why is there a universe at all, rather than nothing? I don't see a way for science to tackle such questions. It is a matter for philosophy or spirituality. So yes, indeed at the bottom of the glass there is still something mysterious and spiritual.

You do realize that this is both wrong for various reasons(first among those being, we evolved to live in world we live in, the world did not evolve for us, if physical laws were different, that doesn't necessarily mean life wouldn't exist), and also not something that points to a christian deity rather then a deity or group of deities that set the universe in motion and then fucked off, right?

How can anything tackle this for which you have no information? What's the point of guessing when you have no foundation.
Human spirituality is (literally) a social construct, created withing the framework of our reality and thus cannot be used to explain the exouniversal, which is unknowable. People, like, are just trying to push their goatfucker cult of personality as something deserving to be taken seriously, when that's not the case.

plebs first dive into metaphysics.

Why would this god or entity be the bible god?

Has anyone claimed it is?

>by the way when i say god i mean literally anything and everything

The anthropic principle is circular logic that was created to avoid inevitable conclusions. It doesn't answer anything, it just states that because we are it had to be so. Nothing more.

OP's pic containing a christian cross seems to hint towards that.

I think you need to get your eyes checked friend because that is a question mark, not a cross

Basically this.

All religions -- from pagan/shamanist folk religions on up to the major faiths of today -- are psychological projections of this 'mystery'. What happens after death? We know we will die. What is our past? What is our future, our 'destiny'? Why? Why anything?

Religions provide answers to these mysteries for the era that they are strong and successful in. That's why paganism was once right for many humans. Then Roman/Greek pantheism, later Christianity or Islam, or Buddhsim, etc. Hinduism and Judaism are just codified cultural practices of a specific group that has been around so long it gets called religion.

But eventually, as certain mysteries are answered and knowledge increases, a religion (codified and """eternal""" as they are) fails to accurately answer the 'project' that adherents have. Thus, the decline of Christianity. Something else will replace it. No, not Islam or any other current religion -- not unless we slide backwards. Some other 'all encompassing' belief system.

Assuming that science is VERSUS religion is silly. They are just two threads woven in the same rope.

Shit, i meant 's pic

>begging the question

Thomas Aquinas's Five Proof of the Existence of God:

The First Way: Argument from Motion
1. Our senses prove that some things are in motion.
2. Things move when potential motion becomes actual motion.
3. Only an actual motion can convert a potential motion into an actual motion.
4. Nothing can be at once in both actuality and potentiality in the same respect (i.e., if both actual and potential, it is actual in one respect and potential in 5.another).
6. Therefore nothing can move itself.
7. Therefore each thing in motion is moved by something else.
8. The sequence of motion cannot extend ad infinitum.
9. Therefore it is necessary to arrive at a first mover, put in motion by no other; and this everyone understands to be God.

The Second Way: Argument from Efficient Causes
1. We perceive a series of efficient causes of things in the world.
2. Nothing exists prior to itself.
3. Therefore nothing [in the world of things we perceive] is the efficient cause of itself.
4. If a previous efficient cause does not exist, neither does the thing that results (the effect).
5. Therefore if the first thing in a series does not exist, nothing in the series exists.
6. If the series of efficient causes extends ad infinitum into the past, for then there would be no things existing now.
7. That is plainly false (i.e., there are things existing now that came about through efficient causes).
8. Therefore efficient causes do not extend ad infinitum into the past.
9. Therefore it is necessary to admit a first efficient cause, to which everyone gives the name of God.

The Third Way: Argument from Possibility and Necessity (Reductio argument)
1. We find in nature things that are possible to be and not to be, that come into being and go out of being i.e., contingent beings.
2. Assume that every being is a contingent being.
3. For each contingent being, there is a time it does not exist.
4. Therefore it is impossible for these always to exist.
5. Therefore there could have been a time when no things existed.
6. Therefore at that time there would have been nothing to bring the currently existing contingent beings into existence.
7. Therefore, nothing would be in existence now.
8. We have reached an absurd result from assuming that every being is a contingent being.
9. Therefore not every being is a contingent being.
10. Therefore some being exists of its own necessity, and does not receive its existence from another being, but rather causes them. This all men speak of as God.

The Fourth Way: Argument from Gradation of Being
1.There is a gradation to be found in things: some are better or worse than others.
2.Predications of degree require reference to the “uttermost” case (e.g., a thing is said to be hotter according as it more nearly resembles that which is hottest).
3.The maximum in any genus is the cause of all in that genus.
4.Therefore there must also be something which is to all beings the cause of their being, goodness, and every other perfection; and this we call God

The Fifth Way: Argument from Design
1.We see that natural bodies work toward some goal, and do not do so by chance.
2.Most natural things lack knowledge.
3.But as an arrow reaches its target because it is directed by an archer, what lacks intelligence achieves goals by being directed by something intelligence.
4.Therefore some intelligent being exists by whom all natural things are directed to their end, and this being we call God.

I always see people saying "But what are the odds of things being exactly as they are now, uh?"
Why is that line of reasoning so common?

>proof
>it's actually a definition

idk blame wikipedia or whoever started calling them proofs, who I will assume is wikipedia until defined otherwise.