At what point does history stop being interesting to you?

At what point does history stop being interesting to you?

For me it's 1945. World War II felt like the ultimate "end-game boss", like everything had been leading up to it and it was the final battle for the world (fairly literally too). Everything afterwards feels like the slow and depressing aftermath with nothing much really building up to anything significant, just things from the past slowly fading away and disappearing.

To me it's still interesting even after WW2.
Even more so because of the fact that it's history, but directly affected people I personally know.
Probably also explains the fact I am interested in 'local' history, of the region I come from since it all happened when my parents and grandparents were already born

The Normans were better than the Anglo-Saxon kings (except Alfred).

>implying the normans didn't make England the most developed kingdom in Europe

This sounds an awful lot like The End of History. Give it a century or two and the 20th will be fascinating, even the second half.

2001 was the end of history

>history stops being about simple wars but about complex economical and political rivalries, embodied by newly formed political institutions such as UN, EU, ASEAN, IMF etc.
>thanks to this non-violent combat, humanity experiences INSANE technological surge, from nanobots to exploring outer space

>feels like the slow and depressing aftermath with nothing much really building up to anything significant
OP you are a fucking retard

Peace and prosperity is great to live in but very boring to read about.

Replace 1945 with the end of the USSR.

Just wait till we get to the interstellar age(assuming we actually get there)

We won't. Certainly not in our lifetimes and probably not ever.

The end of the cold war

WW1 was definitely the more interesting and worthwhile war. World War 2 is a pit of boredom and autism, kept alive by overly dramatic American "documentaries" and the people who turned them into a religion (/pol/).

The Cold War made the world fun again.

I also want to like Mesopotamian and Egyptian history but I just can't stay interested.

I'm not particularly fond of the period when the mideast was getting overrun by central asians, but at least knowing the context and repercussions of it keeps me awake.

The Cold War wasn’t exactly peaceful though.
These

North Korea and Trump are very interesting, it's just what it's happening right now and we don't have all the details.

Dude a good part of the world fought for freedome for the next 50 years. USSR was the actual final boss.

*freedom

Trump is very tedious. There are so many extremist ideologues pulling the audience every which way trying to drag them to their side. I just want Trump and all of that shit just to go away, I’m sick of the topic.
Maybe it’ll mellow out in thirty years or something.

This

i think people thought the same thing after the napoleonic wars

>tfw the Cold War ends with a whimper rather than the biggest bang in the history of mankind

And this world has been limping along ever since.

wars are checkers, politics is chess.
post WW2 has been ALL politics.

tata brainlet.

Anyone who isn't a Democrat or Neocon will always be the next Hitler and you will never hear the end of it.

We literally won't, though. When people got fucking fed up with the government a few hundred years ago, they payed some sailors to navigate them to America and built some towns.
How the fuck are people today going to be able to afford rockets? How will they transport themselves, nevermind even making Mars or the Moon or wherever habitable. The governments are apathetic because space seems like a waste of money. We won't get anywhere beyond companies mining asteroids.
The world stopped being good after 1918 and the world stopped being interesting after 1945

The death of Caesar desu, nothing interesting happened after.

1800s.

All the boring shit starts there.

Everything after the year 2000. The 21st century is so fucking boring.

Literally all of that can be applied to space travel.

Not with these megacorporations controlling most of the world's wealth.

Once the middle ages begin my interest ends

though it starts again when Spain becomes a thing

August 29, 1949

I'm glad humanity will stop the bloodshed but it's still boring as hell

This.

Anglo-Saxon England was a hundred times more interesting than Norman England. The English-French rivalry was shit-tier compared to the English-Danish rivalry.

>To me it's still interesting even after WW2.

This, its almost as if an old Era that was hundreds of years old died a slow death starting with WWI and with the fatal blow being struck with WWII. What we're living in now is the aftermath and the build up of a total collapse and resurgence of a new Era, think about it gents, how many civilizations, cultures, religions, and ethnic groups have come and gone since the dawn of man? How many more will come and go in the future? It just sucks (or fortunate?) that most of us are probably just going to live through this lull and not get to see the next earth shattering, game changing event that will go down in history.

I hope it's not the end of history. I hate liberal democracy

Technocratic singularity WHEN?

Lmao wait till you see WWIII. I'll tell ya the reptilians aren't good at much but what they are good at is orchestrating a good climax. You'll definitely get your money's worth

I feel like shit was still possible and interesting up until the invention of the internet, computer and cellphone.

Society had essentially remained unchanged up until then, with people still having to interact with each other and go out into the world and take it for themselves. Now, its a dystopian unfun shithole

But I really really liked the world that died between 1914 and 1945. I just want to live in 1910, man.

>At what point does history stop being interesting to you?
Never, history is an ever-changing page turner from start to finish.

I mean if you want to live in Europe or the US I guess, makes me wonder whose going to take the Europeans place now that their influence is beginning to wane.

Cross between East Asia and South Asia, maybe...?

America's always kinda' America. It fills a significant entity of power, but in of itself isn't really a wide sphere/center of power and wealth between multiple nations.

I remember someone here saying once that old Europe was completely destroyed by either wwI or wwII.
Does anyone know what was meant by that?

Sometimes people say that certain events were so important that nothing was ever the same again. WW1 is one instance where it is absolutely true. After the defeat of Napoleon, the 19th century had been, for the most part, a pretty peaceful time in Europe, with the Crimean War being the sole notable exception. It was a time of immense optimism. People thought that world peace, or something close to it, had finally been achieved.

WW1 shattered the optimism. It made people more cynical about government, and society in general. It had an immense impact on literature. Many old aristocratic families were completely wiped out because all their sons had volunteered to be officers and they all got killed, to say nothing of the innumerable lesser families who suffered a similar fate but with less fanfare. Women were herded into smelly factories and asked to perform tasks which previously would have been considered unthinkable for a woman to partake in, which set the stage for wave of women's suffrage movements that came into being immediately after the war.

Four separate empires (German, Austrian, Russian, Ottoman) were wiped from the face of the earth. Not even the supposed victors were spared. Every nation involved in the conflict was drowning in debt, and they had a desperate need for fast cash, which they got usually by borrowing from institutions in the United States. This marked the beginning of Europe's dependence on the United States. It would be difficult to find a single person on the continent whose life was not dramatically affected by the war.

Not to mention it shattered to myth of European superiority for a lot of colonial regions and powers like Japan.

thats what we think now but give it 30 years and the war on terror/drugs north korea and the growing divide in the US will be super interesting.

Reminder Japan only became relevant after they adopted European tech and values.

And since all nations today use electricity, are judged by human rights standards, have cars and trains and planes and electric appliances and computers, phones and internet, etc. (all Western inventions) you could justifiably state the whole planet is Western. Especially, since we are all so reliant on technology and the functioning of Western systems that if they ceased we would all be back in the medieval era and the world would enter chaos.

Never forget.

1918 for me
after that it feels like "The Great War : the Return", and it's completely autistic in every way possible
then the Cold War is even worse
it's really gotten out of hand

this fucking post right here

end of napoleonic wars
not because im napoleon boo but because everything after that doesn't feels as interesting as its mostly sperging about nationalism

I think history starts getting interesting after ww2.

Humans are literally racing to achieve more technological advancement which is cool, i guess.

The problem I Hegelian states are ending and we’re getting these economic market wardens in their place. The German government isn’t governing the German nation. It’s regulating a market region. German lefty’s identify more with French lefty and american leftys. At the same time they all identify trump or worry about the American right.

Do you see what I'm saying? Germans aren't interested in fighting or dying for the federal republic of Germany. Its not a thing anymore.

History is going to be chaotic and lack purpose or direction and clear defined goals.

Aka boring and almost impossible to understand.

never crossed my mind desu
the war on terror sounds really cool from an outsider's perspective now that i think of it

>not enjoying the insane shadow battle called the Cold War which for decades was intended military action for the Americans and Russians
>not following the greatest wealth redistribution in the history of mankind happening RIGHT NOW through crypto currencies
Pleb detected

the industrial revolution was pretty cool though

Nice trips fitting your post.
You might think differently about this when living 50km from the former frontline knowing there had been about 180 nuclear warheads reserved for your region in case of the Cold War becoming hot.

German here.
Frankly it doesn't. In school things were mostly presented as if "history" ended in 1945 and everything after that was a new and better world. Nowadays many continuities can be seen, how the US never left Europe and sort of became what Britain wanted to be, a global Empire. The very thing they ironically held against germany in their propaganda.
How in Germany Nazis built the secret services for their new allied masters and these services are still shady and highly undemocratic institutions beyond parliamentary control.
How oil and wars for that resource have shepaed the last decades, a struggle started by Brits hundred years ago is still going strong.
How the German backed regime change in Russia through Lenin is repeated all the time (Shah of Persia and Arab Spring come to mind).
It's all much less obvious these days but it is there. Just need to peel off the layers of propaganda. (Bringing democracy and freedom. "No repetition of Auschwitz" as justification for bombing for Yugoslavia.)

> At what point does history stop being interesting to you?

The Korean War kills it for me.

At that point, the Corporatists in the West were in complete control and the Communists in the East and it’s only gotten shittier since then.

>USSR the actual final boss

I'm reading Solzhenitsyn's "The Gulag Archipelago" right now and this really resonates. The absolute depths of collectist brutality and degradation of the individual human spirit the Soviets inflicted upon their populace are terrifying to read about: destruction of the family, instilling mass paranoia, persecuting even the basic laity of the church, the callous murder of millions under the prison system where they picked up children to meet work camp labor quotas. 1984 doesn't even come close to the horror of communist reality.

Thank you very much. How do you all have such exhaustive knowledge of history? I can't imagine a history degree gets you to this level. Just a interest in general history?

1991 for me. A unipolar world under complete American domination in all sectors is boring as fuck

Everything after The Big Two feel like spin offs that dont do quite as well as the original duology.

Even when WW3 happens, everyone will be too dead to remember it.

pic unrelated

>technology is uniquely western
wew

>wealth redistribution
>crypto currency
are you insane?

It likely never will, at least not in our lifetimes. People are still politicizing the fuck out of Reagan, Nixon, and Kennedy. It won't stop once trump is gone.

That's only because most of the boring shit from the fucking Neo-Assyrians, for instance, didn't survive.

I feel like the Russo-Japanese War managed that rather handily.

I personally don't care about history before the 18th century. Once the industrial revolution really gets underway is when things start getting interesting for me.

In our hearts forever

I know exactly what you mean. Nations and states have died in the west. In their place rises the global wealthy elite. This is why I think China and other states will do well in the future, because they are an organized nation fighting against chaotic moneymaking institutions.

It's definitely understandable that you, and many people in this thread, do not find situations that we live in to be historically fascinating.

I have an inkling that it may be because it is much more difficult to romanticize recent history.

oh boy you got a big storm coming, the 21st century is going to be a fucking shitshow

> age demographic changes mean that economies are going to crumble under the weight of paying pensions because there aren't enough young people paying taxes
> massive wealth inequality on a scale never seen before in human history
> automation shifting the balance of power to those with capital, labour as a factor of production into output has been steadily decreasing and will continue to decrease
> race/religion demographics changing mean that USA will become a hispanic plurality by the end of the century
> Europe will become more and more africanised/Islamified
> The idea of a racially homogenous nation-state will cease to exist
> global warming going to fuck shit up, producing millions of climate refugees

This sounds awful desu, I will probably off myself if I live to see this happening

i, personally, am pumped to see this revolution/race war/ww3 hybrid

Enjoy the potential starvation and death, I guess.

i would fucking neck myself but at the same time i want to document it all.

1991 for me

Its like the point in an RPG when you beat your main rival/arch enemy and now the only thing left to do is dick around and do shitty side quests

*It's the point in a turn based strat when everything you've built went to shit, and you're not out of the game yet, but you can never recover, so you're just sitting around hoping your opponent makes a long sequence of catastrophic mistakes as that's the only shot you have.

Sailing to the new world also had a massive price of entry at first too tho

We probably live in a time that will be really interesting for future historians, but it feels boring when you live in it.

I just like the fact that future history books will say "and then the President tweeted..." it'd be like if we were reading about Abraham Lincoln and it said "President Lincoln then tweeted his Gettysburg Address..."

Remember when history ended because Liberal Democracies won and the-HAHAHAAHHAHAHAHA

Fucking neoliberalism

Communism is the future you pleb.

Everything else is "current events"

It's hard to think of things that happened during your lifetime as history

Huurrr durrr Europe invented physics

Fucking white people ugh.

Nigga, I live not 30 minutes from a city that will be priority target for every nuclear missile in the Pacific Ocean if WWIII breaks out. I just don't care. As far as I'm concerned, my part of the world being obliterated in atomic flame would be a substantial improvement.

Also, aesthetic af late-Cold War US Military would've had its time in the sun before being promptly vaporized.

>For me it's 1945. World War II felt like the ultimate "end-game boss", like everything had been leading up to it and it was the final battle for the world (fairly literally too).

nocoiner detected, maw kys rn you missed the race buddy

1991, when history ended.

>Europe will become more and more africanised/Islamified

Nah. The pushback on that has already started with large numbers of people voting FN in France and AfD in G*rmany, and these are pretty much single-issue "(sand) niggers out" parties crewed by morons. A few more years of inevitably declining living standards and they'll have the voter base to enact their agenda, but the longer the issue is left to fester the more Hitlery their solution will be.

1991. History after this, is basically America playing world police and crushing anyone who attempts to challenge the Neo-Liberal status quo. It will stay like this until America either weakens and collapses, or a new superpower emerges to challenge it's hegemony.

its all over

cold war aesthetic in general was the shit desu

>ywn zerg rush the fulda gap while 'unsere panzerdivision' plays from the radio