Is stoicism going to be hijacked by nu-males?

Is stoicism going to be hijacked by nu-males?

It already is

Numales will hijack and ruin the memes, but they won't understand them. Real stocis shouldn't care what others think of their philosophy, but I will understand if you start calling yourselves "Epictetsians" or something.

They are trying to, already.
If you look at online Stoicism communities you will see that there are plenty of people who claim to be Stoicism followers but who believe in something entirely different, considering externals as positive.

>I will understand if you start calling yourselves "Epictetsians" or something
I seriously thought about that after I have seen some shit being said online by "Stoics".

>If you look at online Stoicism communities you will see that there are plenty of people who claim to be Stoicism followers but who believe in something entirely different, considering externals as positive.

Details?

>Do as Socrates did, never replying to the question of where he was from with, ‘I am Athenian,’ or ‘I am from Corinth,’ but always, ‘I am a citizen of the world.’ - Epictetus

Did Socrates do this? I thought it was Diogenes who did this.

free will is merely a meme

>thots begone - Epictetus

no, just retards who dont understand it will associate it with numales
see
even though the people doing so are pic related

>He isn't a materialist who believes in the firely conflagration.
>He calls himself Stoic.
Lmaao

I'm the guy on the pic

Lose the flag, lose the gut.

I'm way fatter now

why do you have a cum stain on your draws dude?

You know why

Sort of. Numales confuse being stoic with being apathetic about that state or their bodies, marriages, and children's fathers.

but thats the meme people who hate stoicism bring up.

That some people don't understand it but claim to live it?

Even if it is, does that prevent you from legitimately practicing and incorporating Stoic principles in your own life? If your hang up is "but muh pseud-masses" then I hate to tell you pal, but you're one of them.

Basically, they take:
>the only good is virtue
Which is indeed Stoicism.

but they don't think very deeply and tend to think that:
>virtue means being a nice guy who treats other people well

So, from that, they consider that "as long as you are not mean to other people, there is nothing wrong with desiring positive externals for their own sake".

The parts about externals is a real hard part for me. Damn, I like people! I like praise! Stoics are trying to forge a difficult moderate path of cynicism. They agree with cynic arguments, but they don't want to live in a tub and beg for money as it's impractical for a society. The true stoic path may in fact be impossible. Perhaps only as an ideal to strive for? Cynicism is more straight forward, and has far less difficulties, but again, comes with that "live in a tub" lifestyle.

Their purpose was not being more moderate than the Cynics. If you asked Epictetus, he would say a Cynic was a Stoic evangelist who wanted to serve as an example to people.

lol I remember that thread on Veeky Forums, he got BTFO

So it's becoming Western Buddhism i.e. taking stances completely antithetical to itself?

>"Your own BEST Self"

This is incompatible with nu-male modes of thought.

No, "nu-males", as they are, would likely be put off by anything associated by "dead white men", they would probably prefer the eastern version, Buddhist acceptance, Tao, "be a leaf floating on a stream", that kind of thing.

It is important to note that neither Stoicism or Buddhism propose inaction or impotence. Rather the opposite. The principle cause of demoralization is the sense of helplessness that comes with trying to achieve the impossible and failing, if one develops a clearer sense of things you can direct your efforts more efficiently and accomplish more, you can put out of your mind anything that is irrelevant to the task.

This is important also for a denizen of /pol/ who constantly thrashes pointlessly and falls for memes. You are very much like the "nu-males" you hate.

>apathetic about that state or their bodies, marriages, and children's fathers.
Jesus, that's about as far from stoic as you can fucking get too.