/Architecture/

Post comfy/grand historical architecture from your country. Anything 1900 or older is good.

Ely Cathedral

Oxford skyline

Bump

Bump

Kings college Cambridge

Plz contribute

Lincoln cathedral before the spires fell

Wells cathedral's beautifully carved front facade

why no spires

Probably structural instability. Even without spires it's 5/5
Pictured is Durham cathedral

Old royal naval college

Why doth no one contribute

I had a weird dream about this place.

It started with me as a kid playing on a bridge near a watermill, then I was in a wooden cabin on a ship arriving at different ports, then we were apparently trading in the Malay archipelago, I remember looking at a map and being surprised at how large Borneo is and that there was so much stuff on the other side of the world just sitting in the sea. Later I returned home and I was with this lady on the lawn in front of this place and I had a sense I was a success and had made it.

Nobody cares

Wow r00d

Ely Cathedral interior

i dew

I wish I had such dreams. Mine are fun but more weird and I wanna be a sailor too

>

something about romanesque architecture intrigues me

alcazar of seville

>Inbf muh Muslims, muh leftist.

More of Alcazar of Seville.

Serious question, is this the official Veeky Forums place for architecture threads?
I've seen them on /int/, /r9k/, /n/ and /pol/, but no regular thread anywhere, which is unfortunate

>muslim shit
It should've been detonated
Captcha: Madrid AGAY

Neocolonial school in Rio
curiosities: it has swastikas on the basement and the ceiling tiles have owls drawn on them (the symbol of philosophy)

picture of the owls

forgot to mention that it has very thick walls, a rarity in current brazilian construction

>Muslim shit
Back to /Pol/ brainlet!

t. muslim
ALL mosques and muslim architecture should be blown up.

São Paulo town hall (stripped classicism)
built by the matarazzo family, the richest in Brazilian history

detail close up

completed 2016

completed 2012

new yale building, completed in the curent year of 2017
high quality stuff, the best money can buy

t. wh*toid
Don't worry in no time that's what will happen to all your pretty churches because you keep importing us hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

The granite makes me cum.

>curent year of 2017
user, I...

Golden Temple of Vellore.
It's gilded with 1500kg of gold.

the atrium of my state's capitol building

Raigarh Fort.
Built by the founder of the Marathas.
It stands in ruin now, but I think the moss adds to its character as a tourist attraction.

the senate chamber

Red Fort.
Built by the fifth Mughal emperor; while I'm not too big a fan of Indo-Islamic architecture what really impresses me is its size. It contains 103.06 hectares within its walls, dwarfing some of the largest European castles such as Malbork which is only 21 hectares by comparison.

house assembly chamber

The Kailasa Temple of Ellora.
Probably one of my favorite buildings in India.
It's all cut from one stone, and considering it was built in the 8th century AD, its condition is pristine.
The stone carvings are also impressively intact.

A couple more pictures:
Here is a giant pillar and a nice angle of the complex.

a view down the street of the building itself

Some 1,200+ years of wear and tear, yet a depiction of the Mahabharata is still intact.

Center of the Hoysaleswara Temple in Halebidu.
Can't help but adore the pillars, myself.

Gigantic corridor of the Ramanathaswamy Temple in Tamil Nadu.
It seems endless.

Can we have a hnnnnnnnnnnnggggggg

The front of the Hawa Mahal in Jaipur.
You now know why Jaipur is called the pink city -- many other "Mahals" in Jaipur are built with red/pink sandstone, which I think works quite well. But out of all the "Mahals" I think this one is my favorite.
It served as a palace to the Maharaja of Jaipur.
Though, it was built in 1799, so it is cutting it close to the cut-off date for this thread.

Oh yes we can, user.

Here is the Rani Ki Vav, which is basically the opposite of the Taj Mahal as in it was constructed by a grieving, widowed queen as a memorial for her husband, and at a much earlier date.

now that is very impressive

Really is.
I still struggle to wrap my head around the fact that was probably all done by hand.
There are many stone-cut temples in India but I find that one the most impressive.

>I still struggle to wrap my head around the fact that was probably all done by hand.

That is the struggle of trying to accept something that you know to be impossible. That structure, as well as structures similar to that one, namely rock-cut structure, where evidently not made by hand, as pseudoscientists want the masses to believe.

If not done by hand, how was it done?
Water cutting a basic shape out, then chiseling out finer details?
Or what?

Have more faith in humanity.

We (the masses, most people) don't actually know, but it is obvious that those structures cannot have been made by chiseling (lol), which is absurd.

Either they were made with technological devices that we don't have, they were formed with geopolymer, or they were made from "grown stone" -- or a combination of two, or the three, of these possibilities.

?

over the top ameriSHARTS

your thoughts on this?

tryhard/10
still prefer it to anything Modernists are shitting out today

Nice building but poor surroundings
Alnwick castle

St. John the Divine in NYC

Woolworth Building in NYC

Inside of St. John the Divine

Altar of St. Pauls in London

Apse of St. Vitus in Prague

And for something a bit simpler, the mausoleum of Theodoric the Goth near Ravenna

OC, Basilica of St. Nicholas, Amsterdam

antwerp central station

typical sour grape foreigner

My favourite church
Shame that it is pr*testant

I love stripped classicism. It's so fashy

most of the time that was because they ran out of money whilst building it

fuck antwaarpe... gent > antwerpen

Neat
Only the most butthurt roosters don't appreciate american neoclassic

A bit sad that architecture has to be relegated to this shit board

White House was completed in 1800

I get how you feel, I mainly dislike the amount of /pol/ posters and armchair historians that post their misinformed opinions as facts. /int/ is also a good place for architecture but it's definitively not a better board either.

boring
it must be sad being european and seeing america do neoclassical better than they ever could

this is the jefferson building by the way

yes, the problem is that there is no perfect board for architecture and this one is the closest

the capitol
one of the most underrated works of architecture in the world, probably because it is still used (and rather important)

column detail

I'm gonna admit that the Americans did a great job on the neo classicism.

E PLURIBUS UNUM

unfortunately it's all in the past
no more classical tradition anywhere

funny how it basically died down in a bit more than half a century

I love the mesoamerican decorations this place has. Gives it a more unique design.