Veeky Forums Family Thread

Do you guys have any family members that were present for any historical events? Funny or generally interesting stories are welcome too

Other urls found in this thread:

timeline.com/nazis-muslim-extremists-ss-6824aee281d2
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Program
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>implying I'm gonna post about my Soviet great-grandfather on this vietnamese washing board

My grandmother shook hands with both Kennedy and Nixon in 1960 while they were campaigning in our city (two separate occasions, obviously). That's the best I've got.

My great grandfather fought in the battle of Monte Cassino.

he lost a lung and became half mad.

Well, in post commie countries, everybody older than 30 lived throughout the revolutions
>revolution is called "velvet revolution" because of how non-violent it was
>my dad got his watch broken there
apparently they slipped from his wrist and some fucker next to him stood on them. Non-violent my ass.

My grandad was part of the british 11th Armoured division.

His division liberated Belsen, and also saw combat in 44-45.

He later met Eleanor Roosevelt, and Haile Selassie.

He also captured an SS's officer and took his stuff. i have it still in my cupboard.

your grandpa was a cuck, you happy about present day britain?

Gramps was on Tinian when they loaded The Bomb™ into the Enola Gay.

He had nothing to do with the loading, but loved to tell how the airfield was probably the least secure place on Earth at that time. Then he mentions that it was a 'helluva lot easier to tell who was a good guy then.'

lmao, whatever you say aut-right

Bomber Harris didn't kill enough

My great grandfather was the spiritual leader of the Afrikaaner Voortrekkers in the second anglo boer war, he was the prophet/soothsayer for one of the more famous generals De La Rey. That's on my fathers side.

My mother's side really far up is another famous Voortrekker general called Andries Pretorius. He was the leader in the Battle of Bloodriver vs the zulu army of Dingaan. Don't really give a fuck about any other history because these 2 ancestors have literally defined Afrikaans culture.

you don't answer my question

>ancestors were "white huns", came to Europe as conquerors
>intermixed throughout Ukraine, Romania and Illyria
>end up being slaves of Byzantine empire (my last name basically meant "slave" back in the day)
>kingdoms and nations start to form in eastern europe, my ancestor becomes the king of Romania
>others live under Austria, get nobility titles once again for removing kebab (one guy pretty much got lands from Kaiser himself after killing about 100 turks single handedly in 16 century)
>ww1 happens, lose nobility titles, become poor shits
>ancestors emmigrate to USA, one guy fights for the canadian airforce
>others that got left behind fight in waffen SS or yugoslav partisans

The end.

Forgot to mention
>great grandfather killed on southern fronts fighting serbs in WW1
>father fought in croatian war of independence, survived

One of my family members from Wisconsin somehow ended up on Sherman's march to the sea.

Uhh, yeah, I am happy?

muslims are raping your women and british people are becoming a minority in the UK. you are happy about that?

White British Population is 87%. 99% in my county.

/pol/ is leaking

A preferable alternative to Kraut slavery.

>WAAAAAH MUH IMMIGRUNTS WHY DIDN'T YOU LET GERMANY RAPE EUROPE UNTERMENSCH

Yeah, two known Russian ancestors who fought in both world wars
>Russian great great-grandfather
>Son of orthodox priest who was ww1 vet
>Worked most of his life in kolkhoz
>Mobilised into Red Army in 1941
>Fought in Battle of Kursk, Bagration, Vistula
>Had a chance to participate in Battle of Berlin but was wounded and had to be deployed as a reserve
>Missed his chance at final glory in Berlin
>Participated March of Victory in Moscow
>Never joined the party(because of muh religion) like most of his comrades and died couple years later from lung cancer(he didn't even smoke)
>His granddaughter sold all of his medals and left only few photos of him and his stories

My great-grandfather,romanian, raped his way to Stalingrad, Romania switched sides and then raped all the way to Austria.
He was sent twice to Court Martial, but once the women withdrew her charges and the second time Romania switched sides and all the documents were considered null( the soviets needed soldiers, and nobody cared about a ukrainian woman)
While he was serving under the Soviet army, he raped and even got a medal for his service.
He also saved a lot of jews from the concentration camps.With every woman raped, he saved dozens of jews and slavic women. Which he also raped.
So, he raped but he saved.But he did rape.
I'm just kidding, my great-grandfathers had jobs that allowed them to stay at home.

Great Grandfather on my fathers side fought in France and Africa in the second world war. He was one of the first to go and was one of the men trapped in Dunkirk, of course he later returned to France for D-day. When the Falklands war came about he was apparently adamant that all fighting age men in the family join the military to defend the Falklands. Alongside this he was also a member of the British union of fascists before the war. My grandmother referred to him as 'one of the most evil people she'd ever met'.
A great grandfather on my mother's side was missing and presumed dead during Operation Market Garden. It turned out he'd been shot and had hidden with a family in Holland for the remainder of the war. He had no way of contacting his family back in England until he accidentally saw his brother walking down a street in Holland a few years later.

>my ancestor becomes the king of Romania
Dute-n pula mea.

Great Grandfather fought in the Second Boer war for Britain as a colonial troop from Canada.

My great uncle was a navigator on one of the B-17s that the radar operators at Pearl Harbor mistook the Japanese for.

Ended up ""landing"" (controlled crash) under fire when they showed up to Hickam and it was burning. Made it out with no injuries thankfully.

He's third from the right here, got transferred to ferrying bombers for a good chunk of the war. Once bellied a B-24 off a runway because they forgot to clear the airspeed intake things and he just walked along the crashed plane and slipped the covers off casually before ground crew got to them and it remained a mystery why they crashed.

Great-grandpa was in Hungarian, Red and Czechoslovak army in WW2, fought in battles of Stalingrad, Voronezh, Kharkov, Dukla and Ostrava and got 3 times wounded. Another great-grandpa was forced to sign Volkslist and got killed by artilery in Silesia.
Grandpa's grandpa lost both eyes on Russian front in k.u.k. army in summer 1914.

Great Great*

knife made of his bayonet

*out of his

My grandpa's cousin volunteered for Wehrmacht and survived Stalingrad. Had bunch on old Ge*mans on his funeral who poured dirt from Russia into his grave and did nazi salutes.

Grandma's brother was in RAF's 311th Bombinng Squadron serving as a Wellington crewman.

My grandpa's oldest brother witnessed the eternal anglo bomb a school by accident killing 104 of which 86 were children.

Looks like a combination of Matt Smith and Matt Damon.

My grandfather was drafted into the US Army in WWII and eventually got sent over to Europe as an MP. He was helping to direct traffic. I imagine this meant supply trucks and tanks to their divisions and different areas as the front line continued to change. One winter morning he had just been dropped off to his crossroad by his CO in a jeep, when he saw them speeding back in his direction. The CO told him to get in because the entire Wehrmacht was coming up the road behind him. I believe this was the beginning of the Battle of the Bulge. Dunno what other hijinks he got into, but he made it back with lots of guns and swords.

my great grandfather was in WW1 from the start, he was literally in brussels when the germans attacked. He left us a detailed account about the german invasion of belgium and the battles of the frontiers in his diary, i might translate it one day.

Don't, we're not interested.

damn user, you really had me there

>he was literally in brussels
What does it mean to be figuratively in brussels, user?

Patrinlineally speaking, my great great grandfather and my great great great grandfather fought for the CSA, with the latter dying

I hope your Aunt's poor, because otherwise she sucks.

My family history is essentially the same as every other family in Ireland that came from a small podunk village, the village's completely abandoned, Ireland's history of neutrality hasn't really lent itself to good stories, i remember my grandad telling me a story about a factory owner who offered a bunch of Irish workers promotions for lying, hopping the border and joining the army, sure as the men joined, they came back to much higher pay, the whole situation with ireland and the UK is, was, and remains a pointless tragedy.

Kursk. Battle of Seelower Höhen. Battle of Britain.

Sometimes to make an omelet you gotta break a few eggs.

hard cunt detected.

This is the oldest family photo I have

My Great Great Grandfather in the Boer war
my dad originally told me that this was from the Crimean war, but that was my Great Great Great Grandfather, so my dad was just trying to confuse me
I'm not sure if this is the 1st or 2nd Boer war btw

oh shit, our ancestors fought one another

My grandfather was there when the U.S. Army met the Soviets in Torgau.

It doesn't concern the story because he was literally there, did you even read his post?

Is that the southern italian school?

But why put an emphasis on "literally"? How can he be figuratively in brussels?

One of my ancestors fought for the Normans at Hastings. That's about it

so they were basically vikings?

Sorta kinda

Entire family grew up in the Soviet Union, many of them fought in the Russian Civil War and Second World War. Pic related, thats my Grandfather in the town of Georgenthal in Thuringia, Germany sometime in 1945. Originally the town was taken by the American military, besides a lone sniper who held out in a tower, the german soldiers there surrendered peacefully. The Americans had to leave as the town was in the Soviet occupation zone, right before they left though they let all the German prisoners free. By the time my Grandfather had arrived many had dispersed. My Grandfather and his unit was too tired and didnt have the resources to track them down, nobody really wanted to track them down as they didnt pose a threat. So my Grandfather and his unit played football with the remaining German prisoners and mingled with the locals. He enlisted in 1943 and was demobilized in 1950. My grandfather and my family have a lot of stories like this and quite a few pics. Can post them if anyone is interested.

Grandfather served during WW2.

He had four brothers get drafted and he joined the US navy. He was on a ship that towed damaged ships to be repaired.

Once fell off a walkway onto the deck during a storm and broke his back. Stayed in a hospital in California.

One of his brothers fought in the battle of the bulge, too.

Both Grandpas were conscripted into the 13th Waffen Mountain Division of the SS Handschar (1st Croatian)

Keep posting more military grandpa

Here is my grandfathers football team in 1945 (note them all sucking in their stomachs). My grandfather was very short for his age, hes the last person on the right. When this picture was taken he was 19. My grandfather and his unit played a lot of sports as there wasnt anything else to do and they were surrounded with wide open fields. The mingled with the locals quite well. Their superiors were quite strict who werent afraid to enforce any punishments. The locals also commonly reported things to my grandfathers superiors. For example one time one of the men in his unit drank too much and he passed out in someones garden. The locals quickly took him, put him in a bed and neatly arranged his clothes and reported that a Soviet soldier was in this persons house as quickly as they could. The locals were terrified that the Red Army, unable to find this soldier would think partisans had killed them and the locals would have to face the repercussions. My grandfather actually got into a lot of trouble one time when he and a few buddies stumbled on some broken machinery in a ruined factory. They stripped the machinery and went to the nearest city and started to sell spare parts, fuel, lubricant, etc. to the locals. Their superiors got wind of this real fast and they clamped down on my grandfather and his buddies. Grandfather was pretty paranoid that he did something wrong and he was going to be caught and punished. When he was demobilized he didn't actually know he was being demobilized, he thought he was being arrested so he went into a washroom and flushed all kinds of documents. A large portion of his train ride home was spent worrying that he was being sent to a labour camp.

My grandfather would also rotate through different areas in Germany. When they were being driven to a different area their driver who my grandfather described as a "short, georgian man" would stop their truck. He'd say there was trouble with the engine, fiddle around with it before saying that he'll go get help from the locals in a nearby building. He'd then come back, fiddle with it again and start the truck and they'd be off again. My grandfather later learned that he'd actually go into a building, tell the locals to give him their valuables, and if they resisted than the soviet soldiers who were in a truck a couple of meters away would come in and massacre them all. Terrified, and having heard stories of the Red Army's vengeance, the locals would comply. My grandfather and his unit had no idea this happened. One of the locals reported him and he was removed from my grandfathers unit. When my grandfather learned about it, he was shocked, he never found out what happened to him, but it probably didn't end well for him.

What about the supossed bad treatment that german/polish civilians got from the Red Army?

My great granduncle was in the gestapo and was in Prague when Heydrich was assassinated.
He later had the job to find jews and partisans in Denmark

Grandfather wasn't stationed in Poland, but those things undeniably happened. The Soviet Union had underwent total mobilization, millions of men served in the Red Army. The majority of which didn't eat or sleep enough (common in military life) lived on the verge of death everyday, frequently reminded of their dead loved ones and country in ruins and constantly had propaganda shoved down their throats that every German was a diehard nazi. Officially, the Red Army had orders to punish any rapists and looters. But it really did vary from commander to commander about whether that order was enforced. Many commanders felt that punishing the very men that they just fought the most destructive war in the history of mankind with was unfair, especially for crimes that Axis committed in their own land. Which is why many commanders looked the other way if there were reports that their men were committing crimes. It was mainly a matter of what kind of superiors you had.

family member fought against Peru and Bolivia in the Atacama campaign in the war of the Pacific. He got a medal of Honor and a bar of gold. Apparently he was a captain of the forces there but I haven't been able to verify that part.

>be me
>be descendant of Dutch Jews who came to the United States in the 1830s-40s
>family fought for the Confederate States during the American Civil War where at least half of them died in engagements such as Antietam, Gettysburg, Chickamauga, the defense of Atlanta, and Franklin
>most my extended family in the Netherlands died in the Holocaust (most of the survivors were kids taken in by a Christian family who passed them off their own)
>decide to pay the extra money to have an extended look at my genealogy when I was applying to join the Sons of Confederate Veterans
>turns out a branch of my Jewish family actually originated from Frankfurt, Germany and they immigrated to the Netherlands in the early 1800s
>Confederate ancestors might've actually been related to Anne Frank
>all those Veeky Forums fanfics and memes about pregnant Anne Frank being saved by Confederate soldiers have a kernel of truth to them

I'm not sure how to feel about this...

>'helluva lot easier to tell who was a good guy then.'
Yeah back then a fella wasn't so stingy with his reach arounds. Alot more good guys back then.

11th Mississippi Infantry Regiment Company K (Carroll County Rifle)

He's literally buried not two miles from that bridge from Ode to Billy Joel

The men in both sides of my family have been fighting/killing commies since 1932, they also have this uncanny (almost hilarious) ability of surviving at the expense of others. Some examples

>Great Grandpa was a Native (who married a basque lady), him and gramps sided with the Government to fight and remove commies and neighboring injuns, ended up with all their land
>Maternal Grandfather came to own some land through shady means, we still don't know how he managed to do it. All everyone knows is it involved an affair and an inheritance dispute
>Uncles and Dad fought communist, one Uncle was in a notorious Death Squad and apparently removed a LOT of reds
>One uncle fought with the commies, after getting press ganged
>faked being down with the cause enough that they trusted him with moving some money around for an arms deal
>Uncle killed all the dudes he was riding with and took the money (it was stolen anyways), used it to legally immigrate to the US
>Grandpa, other Uncles and Dad used similar tactics to immigrate legally (they refused to do it illegally), mostly at the expense of the Commies and Salvadoran Gov't

I hope I get to live up to the proud family tradition of being a greasy little bean

The oldest member of my family fought a dragon for Ecsed

A few revolts, a few whipped peasants
French Burghers and an ancient Flemish family marry
A woman in our cousin family was a renowned serial killer,
Invited into the Russian court under Feoidor III
Family escaped the Bolshevik Revolution and stayed with their Belgian family, then both the Russian and Belgian families left when the Nazis came in for england, stayed with the English family of Bridgewater, then all three families just left England for Florida and here I am.

Fun fact, my family is so whitebred that the only smidge of black ancestry we have is from a Spaniard a cousin was married to in 1734, they had one kid, he dies and that kid married another distant cousin.
(Yes we did blood tests, I'm also porphyric and my mother had hemophilia, and everyone in my family had dentures by their mid twenties)

Looks like a house negro

This is my great uncle

My father was a soldier in the 1st Air Cavalry flying choppers into the landing zone X-RAY.
The battle they made the movie. “We were soldiers”. During the Vietnam war my dad was a pilot of choppers.He rode 3 of them down after they where shot up. Brave sum-bitch

I'm Canadian, but all my ancestors were English and Scottish

>Great-grandfather on mom's side
>Moved to Canada from England in 1911
>Joined the cavalry when war broke out
>Fought in the 100 days offensive towards the end of the war
>Received the Distinguished Conduct Medal for knocking out a German machine gun nest at Cambrai
>Went on several nighttime trench raids
>German clubbed him in the face with a stick grenade during one raid
>His buddy bayoneted the German in the back and saved his life
>Later caught the Spanish Flu
>He was in such bad shape the medics just put him with the corpses to let him die
>His comrades came and too his boots, rifle, and kit
>Ended up surviving and began farming upon return to Canada

>Great-grandfather on dad's side
>Joined the Liverpool Scottish regiment
>Just a footsoldier
>Among the first troops shipped to France in August 1914
>Wounded and sent home in November 1917

No fucking idea how he managed to survive that long.

>Grandpa's uncle
>Came to Canada from England after WWI
>Joined the NWMP (Precursor to the RCMP)
>Spent the 1920's apprehending rumrunners at the American border
>Received a letter of commendation from J. Edgar Hoover
>WWII breaks out
>Spends the war working for MI6 in Rockefeller Center as part of the secret British Security Coordination
>Worked as a liaison between Roosevelt, Churchill, and Mackenzie King
>Was close friends with William Stephenson aka Intrepid aka James Bond irl

Pretty cool imo senpai

My Great Great (Great?) Grandpa fought in the US Civil War. He served under William McKinley. He saw a lot of combat. One day, McKinley's men overran a rebel camp, they looted it. My forefather took some little stars you pin to your collar from the commander's tent.
One day, my grandpa was in the library reading a book about McKinley, he learned about all this in that book. It talked about McKinley and his boys raiding the camp.
After McKinley became president, my forefather reunited with him, the two shook hands and talked about the war a bit.
My grandpa fought in Korea, my uncle was in West Germany for a while and his home there was set on fire by Germans still angry at the Allies.

Grandad was with the vickers HMG that shot up Rommel's staff car at long range. Wasn't an aircraft in sight. Course there were a lot of staff cars being shot up back then, but it's as credible as Le Roux or that Canadian claiming it.

Thats pretty sweet user, does he like any Vietnam movies like Apocalypse Now?

Ayy, I just watched that last night. Does your dad know Snake Shit Crandall lol

Had a great uncle in the RAF in WW2, his plane was shot down and but he parachuted and landed in the french countryside. He got hooked up with a fake papers and shit and worked/hid on a farm for a while. When the Germans took supplies or had lunch at the farm my great uncle pissed in their milk before giving it to them.

He doesn’t watch war movies. He did 3 tours in the Nam. 3years.He was a career soldier. Did 28 yrs in the army. We lived all over the the world

>he thinks nazi germany would have done anything about Muslims

timeline.com/nazis-muslim-extremists-ss-6824aee281d2

My great grandfather fought in burma during the second world war. He used to tell a story about how he found and elephant in the jungle and used it to clear a path. He ended up getting malaria towards the end of the war and came home very ill.

My dad died 7 years ago . Not sure if he knew him. But I bet he probably did,those guys where a tight knit family of soldiers

Fighterpilot with glasses?

Belgian yourself?

Interesting stories dudekeep going

My great-grandfather served as sapper during WW2 and got killed/M.I.A. during Battle of Kursk
I was named after him but I really don't know anything about him besides that his father was ex-kulak

Explained it here already.
Any other Dutchmen here?

Maternal grandfather was a captain of one of the D-day landing ships. His brother developed rocket engines for missiles at Cambridge at the same time.

Family traced back to relatives of Pepin the Short

My grandmother escaped her village lol when the Japanese attacked the Philippines. They carried a piano!!!???

I can't believe I lost to this, must be the weed.

ayy one of my Great-great-great grandpas was in the 7th Missouri Cavalry and owned 13 slaves

funny enough, his great grandson was at the March on Washington to support Dr. King

One of my ancestors fought in the Russian-Japanese war and killed so many gooks that he was awarded the surname Grenadier.

Here are some of my other relatives. My Great Uncle and his younger brother. His younger brother is the one on the left. My Great Uncle along with a couple of his brothers fought for the Red Army during the Russian Civil War. After the Reds one his younger brother left Russia for the US. My Great Uncle broke all contact with him as he didn't want to be associated with a traitor and called a spy. He was super close with him and it broke his heart. Then, sometime in the early 1950s my Great Uncle gets a letter. Apparently his younger brother opened some fish processing plant or cannery in Philadelphia, he died and he put my Great Uncle in his will. My Great Uncle inherited a fortune, he turned it down because of the guilt, despite his neighbours, his local communist party, literally everyone around him urging to take the money, and use it to help rebuild the country or invest in the industry or something. But my Great Uncle still turned it down because he didn't feel it was justified after how he practically disowned him.

Yes, but I can't say anything here. Otherwise, everybody here will know who I am.

Nobody cares, faggot.

>Be Dad
>Graduate college 1966
>fucking music education
>gonna be a elementary school music teacher
>DRAFTED
>"Oh shit! You a college boy eh?"
>officer school
>Vietnamese language school
>off to Nam
>1967-1968
>Tet Offensive
>assigned to an ARVN unit with 5 other burgers
>"Advisory Team"
>consists of translating for glow in the dark niggers torturing gooks for Operation Phoenix
>DATPTSD.JPEG
>somehow survive
>gets back to states
>gets a job
>teaches little kids to make music
>meets Mom
>she's teaching little kids how to make art
>10-15 years later of diving for cover in thunderstorms and nightmares of CIA fucks torturing gooks
>happyending.jpeg

Still lurking.
What happened to the money after he turned it down? Did his brother have a family over there?

>Operation Phoenix
hurr durr
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Program

>great great grandfather died on Italian front sometime in 1916/1917

>great grandfather was sudetengerman and died sometime during world war 2
I suspect he was in either SS or wehrmacht but my family doesn't really talk about him and whenever I ask them about they just tell me he died during the war