Celtic Thread:

Preferably involving spooky Celtic legends.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_dog_(ghost)#
mabinogi.net/pwyll.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

smelly serb here, can i hear some irish spoopy folk tales?

Word tale so doesn't really have a name, and would be hard to find. And I cant be fucked green texting, so the gist of it is there's a demon who takes the form of a boy in distress and ask if he can make camp with travelers and then sings them to sleep and eats them.

one day there was no potato oOoOoOoOo

YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH!!!! YOU HAVE NO RITE TO TALK OF THE UNDOING!!!

Not exactly a legend but Julius Caesar wrote accounts of Celtic culture in Gaul. One famous religious ceremony involved sacrificing people by burning them alive in a giant wicker man. Perhaps this tradition lives on in the burning of strawmen in different areas of Europe.

The druids were quacks and dont represent the Celtic people.

They probably just burned prisoners, slaves.

Romans liked to exaggerate their enemies , just like with the Carthaginians being baby killing monsters.

Washer women are pretty cool.

And those who pacify with blood accursed
Savage Teutates, Esus’ horrid shrines,
And Taranis’ altars, cruel as were those
Loved by Diana, goddess of the north;

A commentary on Lucan's Pharsales mentions that Gauls sacrified in various manners similar to the Scythians, i.e., beheading, hanging, drowning, garroting, and so on

>fulfilled the role of doctors, chiefs, poets, priests and every high position
>not representing Celtic people

It's fummy, because the irish never wash.

I guess it's kind of fitting that someone washing your clothes would be an omen of death.

Pure slander. How does a burning wicker figurine keep those inside it from falling out and making a run for it? The Celts did burn straw effigies, this was some kind of harvest festival thing and probably inspired Caesar's tale, but Caesar wasn't interested in presenting a fair account of teh Celts, he was looking for justifications for his illegal conquests of them.

Nonsense, the Celts practised headhunting and adorned the temples of some gods with the heads of their victims, these were not human sacrifices but enemies they had killed in combat.

and teh GALL of Romans accusing others of human sacrifice when they literally murdered thousands EVERY DAY for entertainment is breathtaking.

>illegal

Show me the Senate approval for them.

Who gives a shit, the primitives wear trousers. They deserve whats coming to them.

We have ALOT of celtic derived folklore here in the British isles, in fact we have a lot of interesting folklore in general. Every village and town has it's own boogeyman tale. If you want a good overview of celtic folklore then try the Mabinogion.
A good example is the black dog
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_dog_(ghost)#

A spectral black dog ghost has been witnessed by many people in Wales, but they do vary in their consequence. In Welsh folklore, the black dog is usually a night-time apparition, often said to be associated with the Devil or a Hellhound (Cwn Annwn) however the is another dog that has a distinct difference. The Gwyllgi or Dog of Darkness was a spirit dog of terrible shape and size, described as “larger than a steed nine winters old” and rather like a Mastiff with fiery breath and glowing red eyes and an unearthly howl. It can be partly human with the limbs of a dog. The Gwyllgi was sighted around coastal areas of Wales and was not universally classed as an omen of death if seen, unlike the Cwm Annwn which has clear connotations with a warning of death. It is described to be larger than a normal dog and often has large, glowing eyes. Black dogs are almost universally regarded as malevolent. Interestingly once smuggling became unprofitable, the Gwylgi was seen less and less.

The Cwn Annwn or hounds of hell were said to be a pack of sky-bound ghostly hounds to lead out at night by the King of the Otherworld to hunt the souls of the damned. According to Welsh folklore, their growling is loudest when they are at a distance, and as they draw nearer, it grows softer and softer. In legend, the hounds are sometimes accompanied by a fearsome hag called Mallt-y-Nos, “Matilda of the Night.” Mallt-y-Nos drives the hounds onward with shrieks and wails, which some say are evil and malicious in nature

Bump, love the Celts

NOT ON MY BOARD!!!

>he wears a skirt!
how can you "people" tell your ugly hairy skirt wearing women from your ugly effeminate skirt wearing "men"?

By the exposed penis you fucking brainlet savage, I hope you get thrown in the bog to please your 400 gods.

The Cwn Annwn where white with red ears, not black.
>Then he caught sight of the colour of the pack, barely noticing the stag itself. Of all the hunting dogs he had seen in this world, he had never seen dogs the same colour as those. The colouring they had was a dazzling bright white and with red ears. As bright was the dazzling whiteness as the brightness of the red.

The Wild Hunt of Gwyn ap Nudd features dogs of this kind also, and the cattle seen by Pryderi in the Otherworld were likewise white with red ears. I would guess making them black comes from later Christian traditions, as of course does the association with the devil (Annwn is not Hell)

Keke lift your skirt, pretty girl, show us your tiny Roman microphallus

I always thought they were many different colours and wore red caps.

>wore red caps
That's a specific type of scottish murder-pixie that dyes its hat in the blood of its victims, the Cwn Annwn, as the name suggests, were just dogs.

When you say wild hunt, is it of relation to the Wild Hunt of Woden?

The same, Woden himself is a Celtic figure, based on the class of prophetic seers the Romans called "vates".

>tfw no banshee gf to blowjob me and wash my clothes before sending me to the otherworld

what you know about the otherworld, cant find much about the actual place. All the tales just say about getting there.

Holy shit we have something similair here on the Belgian coast, more specific West-Flanders. There's this dog demon we have in the dunes between the coast and Bruges that tricks fishermen into drowning with the changing of the tide. He's called Roeschaert/Roetschaert. It seems very similar.

I thought Woden was the chief Saxon god (like Odin), although i imagine there might be a lot of celtic influence due to it being a foundation mythology for a lot of northern and western europe.
Look up Avalon. I believe that's a place in the otherworld

In the Welsh Christmas tradition (The Mari Lwyd) A skeletal horse visits your home singing rhymes outside your door.

There's quite a lot of folklore associated with malevolent dog spirits. Typically seen as an omen of death.

The Welsh are fucking nuts man

kek

Jesus christ how horrifying

From original pagan sources there isn;t much. The Celts were apparently so certain of life after death that they would accept loans that were reyable in the next life, and the DFruids taught the doctrine of metempsycosis (reincarntaion, essentially) so it's likely the Otherword was "the place dead people live", and that when people there died, they were reborn in our world.

But all we really have is much later Christianized fairy tales, and in those the Otherworld is more like a parallel dimension inhabited by magical beings (the echoes of pagan gods), and humans who visit it risk becoming one of these beings themselves, or else might find that although they were only gone one night, they age 100 years on returning to Earth. In these stroies, whihc presumably share at least something with the original pagan conceptions, the Otherworld is much like an idealized Earth, albeit there are places with truly bizarre geography such as fishes swimming in the air as tho it was water, and a palace built in the sky out of colored lights (the aurora borealis). If you;re interested specifically in the Otherworld, I would suggest Y Mabinogion (the "four branches" of the Pwyll / Arawn / Pryderi story are about a union between a human kingdom and one from the Otherworld), and the class of Irish stories known as "immrama", which are typically portrayed as a "voyage into the western ocean" but which are clearly fantastical accounts of journeys into the Otherworld, retold in a Christianized context.

>I thought Woden was the chief Saxon god (like Odin)
Yes, but he is not an IE god and his character is wholly Celtic. Even his name means something like "the one who is consumed in prophetic frenzy", this an accurate description of a Celtic vates but has no parallel in Germanic traditions.

Wow i love celtic mythology (specifically welsh), teach me more senpai

Yeah I grew up in a little village in Wales and this old guy who used to drive rally cars for a living would go around dressed something like this. Scarred for life desu.

You guys have Cu and his adventures in Ireland as well as that guy who has a lot of sex

From what ive heard its pretty much that one island in The Witcher 3 where Geralt finds Ciri.
>Located over the western sea's
>Island surrounded by the mist between worlds
>Lead there by Stingy Jack (represented as candle light)
>Upon arriving at the island you arrive at the House of Donn as a final stop before the otherworld

There's no better source than reading the texts yourself. Here's a good annotated translation to get started with.
mabinogi.net/pwyll.htm

>that guy who has a lot of sex
The Dagda?

>The virgin Saxon Priest
>The Chad Celt Priest

Mari Lwyd, Lwyd Mari
A sacred thing through the night they carry.
Betrayed are the living, betrayed the dead
All are confused by a horse's head.

Thanks

>mari lwyd

user thats scp-1471

Well that's not disturbing at all

Too soon

Yeah I only just realised that why in gods name it god saved under that I don't know I guess they look fairly similarish kek

got*

Unironically this, "Slaine" is a perfect modern adaptation of the character of Cuchulain.

Here's something I've always been confused about:

The stories in the four branches of the Mabinogion seem to take place in sub-Roman times. Is this right? If so, do we have any Celtic mythology of pre-Roman times, or has it all been lost?

>Romans eradicate your nobility and educated class
>declare you all to be savages crouching around human sacrifices ooga boogaing
>claim your immediate neighbors are the epitome of virtue and sophistication

Nothing was written before the Roman period. The stories are framed in a subroman context, but this is analogous to how the Illiad is full of anachronistic Archaic period features despite being a much older story. This is just how oral traditions work, the stories are always "contemporized" for the audience, and these stories were oral for hundreds of years before being written down.

Stylin'

Obviously many of the stories specifically in Maginogion are specifically from the subroman epriod, those dealing with Arthur and the dream of Maxsen most obviously, but OTOH we have figures such as Math showing up, who is a straight-up pagan god, so clearly there are many pre-roman elements even in stories that must have been composed long after the christianisation of the island.

So those tales are from pre-Roman times, but since they were actually written in sub-Roman times, they're framed to match the period?
Do you have a source where I could read more about that?

I ask not because I don't believe you, but because I'd like to read more on the subject. Brythonic mythology interests me greatly.

How come the Scots got to keep their spiffy outfits but the Irish didn't?

>So those tales are from pre-Roman times, but since they were actually written in sub-Roman times, they're framed to match the period?
Some are, some aren't. It;s really not easy to date these things, scholars go by the prevalence of tropes within the whole body of Welsh and Irish poetry to determine which ideas are ancient and which are recent, but of course this is largely subjective and you have scholars like Ashe who claim these stories have deep pagan roots, and others who claim they are essentially purely a post-roman and christian tradition, and everything in between.

I see, thank you for answering user.

Thoughts?

Celtic priests wore a tonsure, "from ear to ear", as in the face on the right in my pic. In fact its likely the whole custom of the tonsure came into Christianity from a Celtic priestly practise.

Much better.

You realize we've found mass graves of sacrificed children in phoenicia, correct? Just like we've found men sacrificed in the bogs of Western Europe.

Retarded forced meme?

slav did it

>lewd rhyming skeleton horse
Does it also carry gifts?

Pretty sure its because the Scots had also stopped wearing kilts for centuries until the English decided it would be cool on a uniform. After it was popularised by the military it became a national identity thing.

>Pretty sure its because the Scots had also stopped wearing kilts for centuries until the English decided it would be cool on a uniform
What did you mean by this. Scots in the British army were already wearing kilts in the 1750s, when kilts were still being worn in the Highlands as day to day wear.

>You realize we've found mass graves of sacrificed children in phoenicia, correct?
Incorrect, we've found graveyards for stillborns.

Old Scottish Kilts are completely different to what we see and recognize as a kilt today. Scottish kilts are traditionally a full body item, the modern kilt, invented by the English and adopted by the Scots, is the shorter skirt like thing we know today.

>Old Scottish Kilts are completely different to what we see and recognize as a kilt today.
They're not completely different, they're recognisably the same garment, the top portion is just missing on the modern kilt.

If you took someone from modern Scotland who knew absolutely nothing about the history of the kilt and plopped them in front of some Highlanders from the 1740s they wouldn't be like HOLY SHIT WHAT THE FUCK ARE THESE DUDES WEARING WHAT MYSTERIOUS GARMENT IS THIS, they'd be like "oh hey those guys are wearing kilts"

I also think you're also being a bit disingenuous by saying it was "invented by the English and adopted by the Scots". An Anglo-Scottish businessman thought that traditional greatkilts were too cumbersome for manual labour and simply started producing only enough cloth for the bottom portion,

I like you

They are only recognizable after the old kilt has been put on a person (even then it still looks different), until it has been wrapped and folded around a person it is a single piece of long and wide fabric, like a towel or blanket. If you took a person from modern Scotland and showed them an old kilt that hasn't been wrapped around a person they definitely wouldn't recognize it.

Just because they look the same doesn't make them the same item of clothing, a mini-skirt is not a skirt. A modern and old kilts method of construction, application and appearance are all different. They are different items of clothing.

>If you took a person from modern Scotland and showed them an old kilt that hasn't been wrapped around a person they definitely wouldn't recognize it.
There is not a single living Scotsman who hasn't seen Braveheart 150,000 times.

If Caesar met a scotsman in a greatkilt, would he have approved of the lack of trousers then said "Nice toga."

Cernunnos is creepy as fuck.

>Irrlander

I haven't, once was enough. It's shit. But in general yeah, and the country's 150,000 times stupider for it.

An old kilt is a blanket, not a skirt like design of the modern kilt. They are different items of clothing that are made to look similar.

It's literally the same thing, only shorter.

>a mini-skirt is not a skirt
Isn't it?

It really isn't. One is a large piece of fabric wrapped around a person, the other is pre-designed to mimic the final appearance of the old kilt.

>one is a big piece of plaid cloth wrapped round you, the other is a smaller piece of plaid cloth that is FASTENED round you so that it looks like the bigger piece, that's totes different!

My bad, poor choice of words.

Exactly, I am glad you understand. It is a damn shame that the English tricked Scots in to wearing skirts.

>maxi
Ankle-flashing slut

I'm pretty sure that specific picture is supposed to be of Mackay niggas, a Scottish clan.

The Scots ARE Irish, it's the same exact outfit.

There’s literally zero evidence of this other than one documented source from Julius Caesar.

>only one source
This is actually true of 99% of what we "know" about the pagan Celts.