Plausibility of an alternate history video game

I bought a 2007 RTS video game called World in Conflict (plus an expansion including missions where you play as a Soviet about an alternate history war between NATO and the Warsaw Pact in 1989. The plot goes as follows:

>diplomatic talks over some unnamed crisis fail between NATO and Warsaw Pact
>USSR launches ground invasion of West Germany, bogged down around Bremen, as well as amphibious landings in southern France (where they gain a foothold but are defeated in a few weeks)
>US and USSR launch amphibious raids in Murmansk and Norway respectively
>Spetznaz attempts to use chemical weapons on Manhattan but are thwarted
>main story comes from a surprise Soviet invasion of Seattle, having snuck past the US Navy by hiding in unmarked container ships
>take Seattle and surrounding suburbs/farmland, are halted at the Washington town of Pine Valley in the south, the main Soviet force going towards Fort Teller in the Cascade Mountains
>Fort Teller was the site of the Star Wars project which Soviets are attempting to get to as soon as possible
>Soviets don't know that the project was a failure, but if they do there would be nothing stopping them from nuking the US
>US side forced to nuke an evacuated town to destroy the Soviets and prevent them from getting to Fort Teller, Soviets don't retaliate since the nuke was detonated on US soil
>China joins the war as a Soviet ally and sends an invasion fleet to Washington, with the Soviets having cleared the Pacific for them
>US manages to take back Seattle in the final mission just before the Chinese can land, otherwise US would have nuked Seattle

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ujS4wJ0RUcY
youtube.com/watch?v=LFrrF7H_Svg
youtube.com/watch?v=kpqTrQ5kFQE
youtube.com/watch?v=oohFGOmcxuo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Historical media can be discussed here if the focus is on the history rather than the gameplay. And do you honestly think that /v/ermin will be able to have a conversation about what I've brought up?

Everything about the game is retarded, from the scenario to the unit types to the deployment method.

I still have the little "Berliner Maeurstein" that came with the Collector's Edition. Was a fun game, I thought the plot was exciting at the time.

Its pretty shitty as far as history and realism goes, although from my recollections of playing the demo it was a good game for the actual fighting itself.

By 1989 the Soviet army was rotting and falling apart. During the early 1980s, any war between NATO and the USSR would probably be a USSR stomp, since they had more men, an actual operational doctrine, better equipment, and >muh airpower was countered by the Soviets having a thoroughly huge air force of their own plus a shit-ton of anti-air weapons. By the middle 1980s, NATO forces were starting to improve under their large re-armament programs, their doctrine was starting to mature, some of the new technological fancy stuff was entering in (although it was never as decisive as Tom Clancy books portray, like for example the US had its smart bombs, but the Soviets were aware of that and had responded with a host of passive and active measures like aerosols which were designed to defeat the US's desired arsenal, not the much smaller one it had. Meanwhile the USSR's own military was starting to decline, as the rot in the 1980s really set in. But it was still something of a toss up. By the end of the 1980s, the East Bloc was in a state of collapse. Any war between NATO and the Warsaw Pact is going to be a disastrous defeat for the USSR, not a close struggle where the US is losing like in in that plot.
So this entire plot of an evenly matched conflict in the later 1980s is inherently unrealistic.

Now, as far as individual elements go
>Invasion of West Germany
Possible enough, although as mentioned it wouldn't go well for them
>Amphibious invasion of Southern France
Impossible, the Soviets would have to either send their material directly through the Turkish Straits, which can't be done for obvious security reasons and for the fact that Turkey can forbid them access, or base it out of some North African client. In both cases it would be impossible for them not to be detected and destroyed, because they won't be able to get enough seapower into the region, and their seapower was lower as a whole.
>Chemical weapons
Possible, the Soviets had terrorist plans like that, and them being thwarted is just as likely.
>Invasion of Seattle
Lol nope, the US just ignores a bunch of suspicious container ships sailing towards its shores? Not to mention the USSR was thoroughly backwards in terms of container ships, I'd have to check out the tables I have on the Soviet shipping fleet, but they might not even have enough in the Pacific. Any force of container ships large enough to transport an army would be stopped at sea, there's a war going on after all, knowing what sort of shipping out there is important. Even if they got there, they'd be still inspected by customs and wow, maybe somebody would notice the huge numbers of Russian troops and tanks?
What's more, it could never be repeated, so whatever you sent there would just be what is on hand. Having a logistics line is absolutely vital in modern war, and these troops would be utterly without one and would be reduced to combat ineffectiveness laughably quickly.
The rest of that side doesn't need to be discussed because of that.
>Chinese allying with the USSR
China was a firm US ally at the time, them allying with the USSR is insane.
>Soviets cleared the pacific
Even more unlikely than anything above, NATO fleets control the seas during any war with the USSR

Overall its a pretty bad alternate history timeline.

>I bought a 2007 RTS video game called World in Conflict

they were giving it out for free in december user

This was literally one of the greatest video games ever made.

I will be eternally assblasted that we never got a sequel or a first person spin-off where you play as a US/Soviet grenadier fighting from the streets of Seattle to the deserts of Afghanistan.

OFP?

Operation Flashpoint would be the greatest if devs actually fucking remade it so I don't have to play it with graphics that were out of date 20 years ago.

I'd rather get an OFP remake with a fully customizable M16A2 than shitty Iranian space marines like what ArmA III has.

OFP had fucking fantastic graphics when it came out though. It was the first game I actually bought instead of pirated because I thought it's the most beautiful shit I've ever seen.

>OFP had fucking fantastic graphics when it came out though.

You must not have played the first Half-Life game then.

I did, it was also great for its time. Before OFP came out the only large-map military games were the voxel Delta Force and Commanche ones and they looked like absolute ass in comparison.
The original trailer also got me hooked: youtube.com/watch?v=ujS4wJ0RUcY

>. Before OFP came out the only large-map military games were the voxel Delta Force and Commanche ones and they looked like absolute ass in comparison.

True, but the player models and texturing were several steps below Half-Life, Counter-Strike, and Halo which came out the same year (albeit neither of those used large maps). Now user-made mods definitely looked a lot better, but the original releases player models looks like Roblox men.

Those graphics weren't surpassed until 2004 with the release of Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike: Source, and Halo 2.

>player models and texturing were several steps below Half-Life
Not even close lmao. OFP looked far better, especially the textures which were blurry as fuck in HL.
>Halo
Never played that.

I thought Giants Citizen Kabuto had the best graphics until I played OFP.

Well, I guess to each his own when it comes to graphics. Personally, I found OFP's vanilla modeling to be quite ugly (albeit modders substantially improved it).

Speaking of Delta Force...

If any game needs to be remade, it's Delta Force: Black Hawk Down, and Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising

youtube.com/watch?v=LFrrF7H_Svg

youtube.com/watch?v=kpqTrQ5kFQE

Just port all of the content, including the mission/map editor into CryEngine and throw in Crysis-style weapons and uniform customization and I would never buy another game.

Make 90s Aesthetic Video Games Great Again

Historically? The game is as accurate as a James Bond film. Everything about the game is very arcade-y, the way the units moved, how they were deployed, all of it. That doesn't mean the game was fun, it was but thats pretty much all it had going for it.

The only way the Cold War could've ever gone hot is if the US ever tried to upset the balance of power too much. Pretty much most of the Soviet doctrine was focused on the offensive, if the Soviets thought that war was unavoidable, then they'd start it on their terms. Only if war was unavoidable based off of Western Aggression, not some kind of economic crisis as there was in the game IIRC.

The way the Soviets invaded the US was also pretty unrealistic, unmarked container ships just stroll in? lol

I also doubt the China would've entered the war on the Soviet side after the late 1950s

>tfw you'll never fight to remove commie fucking shits from america in the 80's
youtube.com/watch?v=oohFGOmcxuo

>Well, I guess to each his own when it comes to graphics.
I think you're being nostalgic about HL. See pic.
>If any game needs to be remade, it's Delta Force: Black Hawk Down
That one was great, easily my favorite game of that year. Still lacked what made the original DF games great which is wide open spaces and long distance firefights with bullet drop ballistics.
DFBHD was great

i bought it years ago, didn't play it until now though

>See pic.

I bought Half-Life with the HD pack so I never played with those character models. I didn't even know the MP5 was the original weapon until I saw that the M4 shared ammo with the pistol.

I guess you're right that the original models look a lot worse than OFP.

>Still lacked what made the original DF games great which is wide open spaces and long distance firefights with bullet drop ballistics.

True, but keep in mind it was the only Delta Force game developed for multiple platforms (Xbox, PS2, and PC) so they had to cut back a bit and the primary setting of the game is Mogadishu, a city of a million people. That said, even the urban maps in the game are huge by Xbox standards.

I actually looked it up and Novalogic recently got bought by THQ Nordic so maybe we'll see a revival of the Delta Force series in the future.

>ITT faggots who enjoyed the game back then claiming it's shit because it's been 10 years and it's hipster to like to "root" for the Ottomans now and not the Germans...

I mean it's silly, but it has nothing on Homefront's insane plot about a North Korean Empire

Does the multiplayer still work? I used to play that game and totally sucked at it. Idk how people got enough points to buy/use nukes...sometimes multiple. I think I used a MOAB once in multiplayer. No matter what I tried, rocket artillery, helicopters, tanks....i could never get very much points.

I loved the game and its story but it's a silly scenario and completely ASB. (Yes I use ah.com).

Last servers were shut down a few years ago and restarted last year by a group of players.

game is god damn gem

No one's on anymre

WHO /wargame/ HERE ???

I'm here.

Best vidya coming through

There's an OFP mod for Arma 3 that has the majority of the missions if that's your thing.

Fuck that forest stealth mission, though.

kinda wish it had a singleplayer that wasn't dog shit.

Bruder gegen Bruder and those Polish missions were my jam.