Jewish–Roman wars

Tell me about the Jewish wars Veeky Forums

Why was it so savage?
What did the two opposing forces wear?
How did an insurgency play out in Ancient times?
What was the Jews part in ancient society before the revolt and after?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/9MriQCz6
sports.yahoo.com/archeologists-unearth-ancient-apos-picnic-104854341.html
youtube.com/watch?v=m9_eNmx4WNw
youtube.com/watch?v=pY_cxoH6Agw
youtu.be/Q-kql7cpcOo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

here have a paper I wrote on the jewish roman wars and their impact on subsequent history. I think its quite an interesting topic, they were shockingly brutal conflicts.
pastebin.com/9MriQCz6

Thanks man, was a good read and left me wanting to know more about Jews in ancient times, as well as their relations to Greeks and Romans.

Hope you got a good grade on your paper.

One of the nastiest campaigns the Romans ever fought. The Roman horror of fighting an enemy that wasn't afraid of death and fought to the bitter end reminds me a lot of GI stories from the Pacific in WW2.

Also in terms of sheer casualties they were the bloodiest wars late Republic/early Imperial era Rome fought

except for the Parthian campaigns*

Definitely some of the bloodiest and most destructive wars the Romans fought. At least several hundred thousand people were killed, and hundreds of towns and villages were destroyed. It also changed the face of Judaism and Jewish culture forever. The destruction of the Second Temple and the fall of the priestly order led to the rabbi-centered, decentralized, communal structure of Judaism today. Animal sacrifice was replaced totally with prayer and ritual. Instead of being a powerful nation-state, Jews became a stateless nation, scattered throughout the Empire and nearby lands.

What was the equipment like?

Same thing every one here says wasn't the only roman armor. It was definitely one of the coolest too.

>powerful nation-state
kek

>What was the Jews part in ancient society before the revolt and after?

>several hundred thousand people were killed
Let me correct you there Josephus, it was several hundred million.

Yeah, I'm glad it was a time I didn't have to live through. It was absolutely brutal for everyone involved.

Since the essence of good historical scholarship is examination of primary sources, rather than reading what other historians thought of the primary sources, I recommend you read "The Jewish War" by Josephus, which is the principal primary source about the first jewish-roman war.

Some interesting secondary sources I'd recommend are "Diapora: the post-biblical history of the Jews" by Werner Keller, and "The Jews under Roman and Byzantine rule: a political history of Palestine from the Bar Kokhba War to the Arab conquest" by Michael Avi-Yonah, all of which should be in your local library.

not really relevant to this thread, is it?

should be diaspora, not diapora

Didn't they murder also most all of Cyprus?
Starved them to dead.

I read an article in the news that the ancient Jews invented picnics and are therefore the smartest people in the world.

sports.yahoo.com/archeologists-unearth-ancient-apos-picnic-104854341.html

Jews were really Proto-Americans confirmed

How did the Jewish revolt against Seleucids compare to the revolt against Romans?

I really have a hard time believing that happened. Everything about Kitos is just weird.

>hehe NEVER FORGET THE 6 GORRILION LAMPSHADES XD
Mamma Mia, never forget the 400,000 intestine belts

>Let me correct you there Josephus, it was several hundred million.

Several six gorillion!

> Why was it so savage?

Because the Jews are savages. For 2500 years they've lived with the delusion that they're special because they read a story about a talking burning bush. The argument in the Bible as to why their "God" is real is that murdering innocent people isn't impossible, therefore the gods of the innocent people they murdered are false.
youtube.com/watch?v=m9_eNmx4WNw

Oh look, it's this faggot again.

Not to mention Jews were the ones who killed the hundreds of thousands of innocent people in the region and were responsible for burning down their own fucking city like a bunch of retards.

Never really is, infographs should be an offense.

Looked up on two of my local libraries and seems like they don't have neither, might find them online.

Checked out your sources, currently looking at the PBS documentary you listed. As for Josephus I managed to obtain a copy of the audio book on audible (These old texts makes my head spin reading them) so this will keep me occupied for some time. Thanks again.

>Oh look, it's this faggot again.

Your God and King.

youtube.com/watch?v=pY_cxoH6Agw

its a cool documentary, but be aware very little is actually relevant to the topic

youtu.be/Q-kql7cpcOo

jokes aside we do have other sources pertaining to the number of deaths.