Were there black people in medieval europe?

Me and my friend were arguing about this. He thinks that black people were common, I think at the least they were very rare.
My argument was that if black people were common in medieval europe you'd see more in art like the one in this post. You'd also see more in old european art in general. Then he looked up european art on google and showed me a bunch of old european paintings of black people. But does this really reflect the actual ratio of black people that were there at the time?
Also, were there black vikings, anglo saxons, etc.?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Qgxki8_R968
youtube.com/watch?v=loMS7RutjCI
youtube.com/watch?v=B-m9A8mY-U0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I don't think any of this happened and you just want another WE WUZ thread

if this is real it shows you a failure of the education system.

This.

There were black people in the ottoman army

fpbp

IDK about blacks but there were a lot of Moors and merchants/diplomats from the Umayyad Caliphate.

WE WUZ KNIGHTS AND SHIIEEEET

Of course not

It was too far

A wealthy Italian or Greek merchant may have seen some

Almost certainly.

born in africa = black.

>There were black people in the ottoman harem
ftfy

North africans are Brown or White you retarded wewuzer.

There weren't black communities if thats what your asking.

Couple of individuals at best.

Well common sense should make you think that since the Mediterranean Sea is at the north of Africa there will be a noticeable amount of Africans migrating to the Roman empire or Italy as it is today, to Spain, Portugal, France and so on. They didn't go to the North most likely because of the cold and also the not so welcoming nature of the vikings. So yeah. This might be the most inaccurate thing on here but you know. I gotta act smart.

It is indeed very inaccurate. North Africans aren’t Black.

In before medievalpoc.blogspot. A blog run by an art historian who doesn't actually know what "medieval" is or how shadows work.

>North Africans aren’t Black.

So black

check mate.

Berbers are right out of the nigger jungles, amirite?

I looked up north africans and I got this image. Would this be considered black, white, or somewhere in between?

>Be North African
>Don't look Black
>Don't sound Black
>Aren't genetically Black
>Don't identify as Black
>Historically not considered Black
>Don't like Blacks
>Niggers insist you are one of them

>The world is only composed of Blacks and Whites or people "inbetween"

Muhammad brought all his family to /his.

his family is probably inbreeding by the look of the posts.

well we were talking about whether or not north africans were black or white. Not asian or how many other ethnic groups there are

'Black' is a western construct that has been bought into by african americans and others. Actual africans don't all see themselves as one homogeneous race, just as how many europeans don't share the american conception of all encompassing whiteness.

>well we were talking about whether or not north africans were black or white.
No. It's pretty clear North Africans cluster in their own group. Physically they reflect that. You do have indigenous White North Africans though, like .

>North Africans are Black
Is this a 56%er?

so..... was medieval europe as racially diverse as it is today or not?

First off, Europe is a continent. Be more specific. Anywhere outside of Southern Europe though would have been racially homogeneous to the point of putting North Korea to shame.

I mean medieval france, norway, sweden, denmark, scotland, ireland, and england

So whats the deal with berbers. Are they arabized whites?

a mix I guess

They are Mediterraneans. Nothing more needs be said.
All racially homogenous.

BBC say yes.

fpbp

So people saying there were black knights and vikings are wrong?

Yes.

Ok, thank you for answering my question
-OP

Mediterranean is a meme term. Greeks, North Africans and Spaniards are all very distinct.

Crap I replied to the wrong one I'm such an autistic idiot

>Greeks, North Africans and Spaniards are all very distinct.

>Europeans are all very distinct

There's more to distinction between people than simply the shade of their skin.

>>doesn't fit into my dumb ameri-tard black white dichotomy
>>better frog post

Pretty much this.

Septimus Severus was 3/4th Italian you shitholer.

A common Med culture and phenotype exist.

North Africans aren't blacks and the Sahara was a big natural border that prevented any contact between subsaharian Africans and north Africans until the camel was introduced to this parts.
Black people in Europe wasn't a thing until the 20th century and they weren't a significant minority in countries like the UK and France until the 70's.
Hollywood and the BBC can fuck itself with its depiction of black "insert iconic European warrior there"

Mostly diplomats or merchants from countries like Mali.
It’s like asking how common Blacks were in Feudal Japan. Rare.

Racially diverse as in people with slanted eyes and lactose intolerance as well as people with non caucasoid features and black skin being common sight? Much less so than today.

More ethnically diverse than today though? Perhaps.

This.

US
WERE
KNIGHTS
ETC.

these are the only possible scenarios in which negroes would be present on the continent of Europe in the Middle Ages

We were around, more so the southern colonies sometimes as slaves and other times in the court of some royal or as free agents/representatives of a king from elsewhere.

People acting like it never happened are silly people assuming all dark skin north Africans are recent slaves are silly as well.

It's very clear Europeans saw white, brown and black north Africans. We are on a continuum, chill

There was a black knight in King Arthur. His name was Morien.
Some of us are black and some of us aren't.

All of us share genes and that's just fact.
This is inaccurate

You're either really stupid or larping as a we wish.

You're either really stupid or larping as a we wuz

>a bunch of old european paintings of black people.
A lot of the examples of these I've seen posted around the internet are images from illuminated manuscripts that have oxidized. Images in these manuscripts would be colored with gold or silver; silver turns black when it oxides, which leaves some illuminated people looking black. Because almost no one outside of academia seems to know about this, people just assume they're depictions of black people.

No I'm an actual African or rather I was born to a Berber-Black family.

You can find old pictures of my community by typing in "Occidental Maure" my grandfather still speaks Tuḍḍungiyya/Zenaga.

Morien was a moor. That means a m*slim from Iberia or maghreb.

Have you tried telling an arabized Berber he is black? I highly recommend that you try it for yourself.

There was never a Sir Tyronius of Crackalot in real life, you are delusional.

The current fascination with revising history to include Africans is puzzling to me. It all hinges on making a discovery of some fringe evidence that an African person lived outside of Africa in some country somewhere, and then trying to extrapolate from that that Europe was always multicultural. Except if that were the case you'd see far, far more evidence of other races in Europe. Instead you can count all the cases on your fingers and still have some left over.

It's like the people who found out about the African slave who became a samurai in Japan, and then try to act like this is significant indications of black contributions to Japanese culture. It reeks of desperation to include people in a topic that has for centuries utterly ignored them.

Sure smells like suburbs of north paris here

The use of the word "moor" had several meanings in Europe.

"black of face and limb." as he was described.

Also in Italy you find "Saint Benedict the Moor" a freed child of African slaves called both "il Moro" and "aethiopian".

There are many examples, I'm a descendant of Moors we refer to ourselves to this day as Maures too and we aren't just one color.

It's not as though Bidan "white" even means white skin anyways

Hol up

*smacks lips*

>There was a black knight in King Arthur. His name was Morien.

This. He was most likely black-black (which is sometimes hard to tell with chansons de geste because they use the word "black" for anything from dark-haired brown eyed, through Mediterranean all the way to sub-saharan black). There were also three Saracen brothers, Palamedes, Safir and Segwarides who were sons of the ruler of "Babylon" and became knights of the Round Table after converting to Christianity.

And Parsifal had a half-black brother Feirefiz. Except he was literally half-black in colour as well as descent, since his skin was covered in black and white patches.

I believe there also was a black female Saracen character in chansons de geste but I can't seem to find her right now.

So u be sayin...

WE

WUZ

SEIMURAIZ

Honestly though Yasuke's story would make a great story. I'm surprised it hasn't been filmed yet. I've seen people claim that he was treated like a monkey or a curiosity at Nobunaga's court, but his actions after Honno-ji and the fact that Nobunaga allegedly liked talking to him (which probably meant that Yasuke had to learn Japanese) indicate that he had some agency at least. And if not, you could make shit up a bit to allow for a better story.

Diplomats and Merchants probably, and mostly to Iberian kingdoms or Italian counties.

This is an age where leaving your nearby village could be very dangerous to your common peasant, so migrations only happened during extreme circumstances and when there was no other choice, like climate change or huns wanting to kill you and your family. So if you somehow find yourself in the middle of Germany or Northern France in 1300 AD, don't expect to see black people walking around.

Genetically southern med is not connected to northern med.

we had blacks in spain, documented in a lot of books

Black people arent even common in Europe today outside of big Western European cities plus just go watch a video of European cities any time before the 1970-80s and you wont see any non Whites so if Black people really were in Medieval Europe where did they all vanish to?
London 1927 youtube.com/watch?v=Qgxki8_R968
Oslo 1890 youtube.com/watch?v=loMS7RutjCI
Berlin 1900 youtube.com/watch?v=B-m9A8mY-U0
All those videos show Europe as basically 100% Homogeneous societies so id imagine it wasnt much different back in the middle ages.

thread over

>Im a descendent of the Moors
Let me guess, you now live in France.

you ARE black

No, there weren't. There's nothing remotely suggesting the presence of non-negligible numbers of blacks (not North Africans) in Europe

The only reason people like to pretend there were is because of a political need to project current demographics into the past so as not to disturb the self-esteem of ethnic minorites

thirded

Try cities closer to the mediterranean sea maybe...
Medieval Spain, Sicily or Italy certainly weren't homogeneous countries for instance.

There have been many Greek settlements in Libya, and there wasn't an actual way to tell a hellen from a non-hellen inside the cities, it was very problematic.
North Africans are a mix of levant neolithic farmers (not Punics) and European hunter gatherers, they have many phenotypes, the standard berberid is a cromagnid type, meaning it originated from Europe.
Also, North Africans (indigenous ones) have a strong mtDNA link with the Saami people of Scandinavia.
Also, North Africa has contributed a lot to European and Hellenic culture.
The trajan column, those are Mauri berber riders, all the lions you see in heraldry, propaganda, North African, many myths and legends started there, including Adras (Atlas) and his son Adrase (also Atlas, dubed nee Mauretania which founded a legendary city state in, modern day Morocco or Algeria)
The guaches are untouched North Africans, and they resemble Iberians a lot, why? Well, because proto-North Africans are Iberomauresians mixed with Caspian people.

I shouldve singled out my point about Northern/Western Europe then as the OP mentioned Vikings-Anglos Saxons.

I'm a berber, happy berber new year, motherfuckers, we still use the Julian agricultural calendar.
And yes, any normal bebrer would be offended if he's ever called black, (unless you're a touareg, who are people who historically had no racial tribe law, meaning they accepted niggers into their tribes), what you need to understand about berbers is that we are divided into tribes, the tribes that dwelleth near the coasts usually of somewhat light complexion, even more so due to the germanic invasion, most of the semetic admixture is due to the Carthaginians, the mountain berbers are even lighter, and many have blonde and red hair, the more you go south, the more you'll see negroid-esque people, this is simply because sahrawis (rogue tribes) married niggers too, and now they LARP as Arabs, drinking camel piss and all that.
It's all a shit-show here thanks to the Islamic invasions.

Are you the same guy who claimes that North Africans are mesolithic surivors and not Eurasians. If so you are a brainlet.

>Berber black family
Can you speak berber? There is no such a thing as berber black family, the sahrawis stopped being berbers centuries ago, Moroccans and Algerians berbers are like the Amish, they are extremely conservative, they had slaves until the 80s and some still do today (200k slaves estimated in Morocco), speak some berber, let us hear your authentic Tamazight.

looks like a gang or sth

Not many in the army honestly but there were quite some in the navy but most of them were freed slaves taken from the spaniards.

I wonder if any of the sultans had jungle fever.

So he was 3/4 black

He also didn't exist, regardless of if he was North African or sub Saharan

I wonder how common white people were in Africa in the medieval ages? How many white kings ruling Africans or white warriors in Africa?
Likely none or at least very few.
So why is it so hard to believe it the other way round?

Because blacks desperately want to be historically relevant.

No, I started out there but my family migrated to Little Senegal in Harlem and later the Bronx.
My grandfather still speaks a Berber language and they don't identify as Arabs, the Maures of Senegal I assume are different than the Maures in Mauritania because they retain a non-arab identity and aren't forced to maintain one for prestige.
The use of the term and the description used was meant to convey the conceptualization of north africans being varied.

St. Benedict the Moor did exist however.

Concepts of Whiteness is complicated in West Africa.

I'm "white" and people call my family and I white but by Western standards I am not white.

West African concepts of Whiteness meant there were many white people were leaders and warriors in the region.

Peul for example are a white people.

Yes, Severus was certainly a black guy...

They are rapefugees

Yes, they are idiots

The best answer

You racist pig! Japan was founded by blacks but white men stole the land and gave it to the asians. we was kangz!