Being born in the 21st century - Blessing or Curse?

German student here
What is the opinion of Veeky Forums on living in the 21st century and the concepts of happiness and a fulfilled life?
As far as I am concerned happiness is determined by
Healthy social contacts and relationships
Having a faith or alternatively having a "purpose" in live and accomplishing given goals
The aspect of comparison of one´s life to others
Physical and mental health, safety, fulfillment of other human needs
(Add more criteria and discuss my)

Now, while we have the best living standart in the 21st century how far are we from actually being the most satisfied and happy civilisations ever existed? Was a buddhist monk or a average chinese farmer living a happier life than the average western man in the 21st century? Which are the problems and conflicts that might stand in our way?

In my view the biggest burden of is consciousness in terms of being compareable
to every person on earth and having to fulfill expectations. Would you rather live happy and unconscious of everything or conscious and struggeling?

After all, happiness is the goal of ours, right?

Discuss

Stop clinging to the idea of happiness.

it's all subjective bro

>happiness is the goal of ours
No. Happiness is overrated. Aim for being content most of the time.
>Standard schreibt man mit d am Ende, verdammte Scheiße nochmal. Könnt ich schon wieder ausrasten.

Happiness is temporary ya mong.

>Be me
>Be Nigerian immigrant in the US
>Can get a first rate education
>Can look a white woman in the eye without getting killed
>Can date anyone of any race I want without getting killed
>Can go to a top University in my state without any hassle
>Can get a good job
>Get paid the same as white people for doing the same shit they do
>Can go to any restaurant I want and be waited on and served like a decent person
>Get treated like a decent human being and have equal protection under the law.

No, I very much like living in the 21st century and wouldn't want to live in the past.

but sadness is permanent

>German student here
Curse curse that's all I need to know you're cursed for you it's a curse

Kind of off-topic. How do you like living in the U.S? Better than Nigeria in any way? Are you proud to be an American citizen?

Kind of off-topic. Ooga booga

>caring about happiness
>at all
You have completely missed the point of your own existence.

Kind of off-topic. Go back.

Whenever i feel like life isnt fair i remember i could have been born to fight in the eastern front

Pepepedes in the house tonight!

t. "Normal" person

Hapiness is shitposting on the internet. I'm glad to be born in the 21st century.

Left there when I was young, been back there a few times. The US is 100x better than there.

I like all the knowledge and entertainment available also antibiotics

The fact that your experience is subjective, this. As much as people complain about how they're treated in the US, the reality is they aren't being gunned down for existing like in some countries.

the fact aside*

We live better because we have iPhones and ERT

Happiness is a chemical in the brain

Stop being a faggot

this is why the 21st century is bad.

I wish I was born in the late 15th century as a yeoman farmer in Cornwall

Pic related.

>31st century internet archaelogists are laughing at our posts right now in their time.

This post reeks of yuropoor trying to add fuel to the fire for all this anti american sentiment.

>Was a buddhist monk or a average chinese farmer living a happier life than the average western man in the 21st century?

Why?

Like we need fuel for that. On a history board nonetheless.
>Moooom, they try make Mordor look bad again!

Fellow Europoor here, I often get that feeling. I would say that there are massive benefits of the modern world such as fast speed transport, education possibilities and healthcare, but at the same time the school which are now overburdened by dangerous and useless degrees are destroying the fabric of our people and culture, I do not recognize my country when I when I walk on the streets, people are kept artificially alive, all costing a massive drain on the possibility to start families as tje state takes half your earnings away.

I honestly believe I would be happier in a small town in the 17th century, life would not be as comfortable or developed but at least it would not be this dreadful soulless construction surrounding materialism and rootless individualism.

>In the 41th century internet you can purchase a way back VPN which allows you to shitpost in the 21th century without being fined by the Comment Etiquette Bureau, as the comment was created before the creation of the Pan-cyberspace Information initiative bill.

If im being honest i personally do not like the modern world.
I would have much rather been a soldier in Rome and survive to be a hardworking farmer with my own land and partake in politics.
Sounds pretty comfy despite there probably being no toilet paper.

I'd ask if it's the Onion, but it's Nigeria so you never know

Not true because in the 41st century you're too busy being part of the unending war against space elves, evil bsdm space elves, fungal soccer hooligans, carniverous hiveminds, evil robots, literally the embodiment of evil, and blue space communists. And you're still somewhat winning.

That's the 400th century you numeric illiterate.

Shit, you're right. Ok we're still fine at that point.

There is no doubt that we live in the most materially wealthy and comfortable period ever in human history. There are however numerous backsides to this transitory time we are in. Off the top of my head: the death of the community for many people, especially in cities, leading to spiraling rates of depression and suicide. All of us need to keep up with the demands of our rapidly accelerating society - you have to learn and train now, which some people struggle immensely with. Globalisation has brought many advantages, but it has also pitted every country in the world against each other in the competition for wealth.

I'm not religious, but I would also add that we live in a spiritually poor time. The transition away from religion has left a hole for many. What will replace it only time can tell.

The grass is always greener on the other side, I bet most people of most eras would give up their lives to live like we do.
You faggots don't know how it is to live as a peasant and that was how it's been for 98% of the population before the turn of the 20th century

That's dumb, the only thing religion really gives people is community and togetherness, the faith is replaced by other things, God is just something most people knew existed but they couldn't be arsed to give more of a fuck than most people do now, it's just that society was more religious and therefore people had to participate in the faith more.
People were happy to just spend 500 days in the Fegefeuer and so they paid some money for that.

I meant it more as towards modern Man maybe lacking a sense of purpose in life, which religion may have provided for many before.