Are there any decent movies set in the Byzantine Empire...

Are there any decent movies set in the Byzantine Empire? For a place as important as Byzantium to our collective history, it's strange it doesn't seem to get much pop culture attention (outside of video games, that is)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine_beacon_system
youtube.com/watch?v=KzgrEaOtDMk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gondor#Influences
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Levounion
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Videssos_cycle
youtube.com/watch?v=FIsomh4L-bo
youtube.com/watch?v=jdgmUHnaSeQ
youtu.be/zcJMU7um-uk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What are some fictional nations based on Byzantine Empire?

I can think of Gondor.

How was Gondor based on them?

>Eastern remnant of original empire
>Fading realm of once great wealth and culture
>Threatened by eastern and southern adversaries
>Capital dangerously near the enemies but well defended
>Absorbed several “barbaric peoples”
>Mountainous
>Beacons
>Emphasis on tradition
>Similar attire and architecture
>Mordor kinda looks like Anatolia
>The legend of "Marble King" whose messianic resurrection and return would signal the restoration of the Empire

Tevinter from Dragon Age is a pretty shameless magical Byzantium.

What beacons did Byzantium have?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine_beacon_system

its the perfect example of no identity, outdated, and corrupt

our collective history regarding the byzantines were about a choice

you want to be an englightened western man or a dumb corrupt easterner

byzantines were shit and so are you if you idolize them

the roman empire ended in 476 AD
Q. E. D.

There is a movie called Byzantium, but dont watch it, trust me

t. Dirty German barbarian larping as a Roman

Gemma Arterton is hot in it, though.

Byzantium was a fascinating civilisation spanning a thousand years with many incredible stories told within and without its borders

Leave your occident-centrism at the door and come and enjoy the history of fucking reality

No good movies as far as I know but allow me to talk about two interesting pieces from Turkey.

Turkey had a famous movie in late 90s, Kahpe Bizans / Perfidious Byzantine, a parody of 70s nationalistic seljuk/ottoman movies. It also mocked the negative imagery of Byzantine Empire of those movies.
A short clip: youtube.com/watch?v=KzgrEaOtDMk

A second example is a play, by famous Turkish Comedian Ferhan Sensoy, Köhne Bizans Operası, Wornout Byzantine Opera. The play is more historically accurate but again a parody nonetheless, this time of the turkish society of 90s. The play compares the corrupt buroucracy, out of touch leaders, the informant populace and the love of sports between 500s to mid 1990s, arguing not much has changed in Constantinople in the last 1500 years. Sensoy stated that Procopius was an inspiration in writing that play. The style is also interesting, the turkish is sentences finish with latin/ancient greek like declensions. (Rather than saying (in turkish) I go to my chamber, the actor says I go to my chamber chaberum chamburi chamburo) That and the low quality of the recording makes it very hard to follow the play. Sadly no written script is ever published either. I wanted to translated this but to no avail.

I'm highly interested in the reception of Byzantine/Classical Greece by turkish artists. in Early 1900s there was even a neo-classical movement and a reactionary backlash against it, but thats another subject. Anyways pic is related.

cool, thanks for the info man. ill check out that clip

ofcourse its some dirty anglo dog praising a useless empire

Define "useless"

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gondor#Influences

>Both realms were in decline at the time of a final, all-out siege from the East; however, Minas Tirith survived the siege whereas Constantinople did not.[98]

Lmao pathetic wh*Teoids can only win in fiction

>In the open spaces of centralAsia Minor, the stations were placed over 60 miles (97km) apart.
wtf. how can you see the fire from a distance of 100km

That's interesting to know.
What perspective does modern Turkish cinema take on the Ottomans and Byzantines? I've casually noticed that most American westerns these days either just play on the conventions of the genre or try and portray the frontier as it was without passing moral judgements, is it the same in Turkey?

smoke? clear skies? good visibility?

>win in fiction

>we surrender whitey

>Byzantines were white

Well sweetie, let's talk about the so called "curvature" of the Earth.

Afaik there's struggle for Rome 1 and 2 (kampf um Rom) some 1950s movies about Justinian, only available on rutracker without subs and then there's Fetih 1453, as you guess about the conquest by the Turks. Nationalistic af portraying the roaches as the good ones.

>Using the american conception of 'race' before the XV century

I distrust

Videssos

Is this a joke?

The Turk is Zerg;

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Levounion

Pretty fucking sure that ain't a Byzantine Emperor in OPs pic

yup that's a bulgarian tsar

they larped as byzantines like all slavs did

makes me chuckle though considering they contributed in a big way to destabilizing the empire they constantly steal iconography from

I thought it was too, but nope

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Videssos_cycle

it's turtledove, hes well known in alternate history circles

You know that guy's an idiotic feelsposter and Greeks, especially historical ones, are considered white in the U. S., right?

Turtledove has a degree in Byzantine history, right?

I recall him doing a couple of AH where the empire survives.

yeah he is an academic that got into writing fiction lmao

>all slavs
West Slavs never LARPed as your gypsy empire.

Horizon might be 40km away
But the horizon beyond the horizon isn't that far of, and thats quickly just 80-120km.
So its perfectly visible, with some elevation.

Correct, west slavs sucked german cock

KARA BOGA my BLACK brother

Definitely this.

m

Pic related is King Simeon I of Bulgaria. Actually a great enemy of East Roman Empire (called by retards "Byzantine").
Also learning history from retard movies is superior level of autism...

Movies around 70s had a quite jingoistic nationalistic view but maybe that was the zeitgeist back then. I got the same vibe from Romanian movies about Vlad, also made in that period.

There are few modern recent portrayals also, Magnificent Century imho took a far liberal approach which pissed off a lot of conservatives (Who was triggered that sultan would drink, or have sex with girls in his harem etc). Nowadays a movie about the early periods of ottoman empire is on air in national tv, and it is far more focused on islam (due to erdogan basically controlling the channel) I think to a point of historical inaccuracy, pagan turks are portrayed as bad as any other foe the muslim ottomans have.

>The movie ended with Constantine XIV charging at Ottoman Hordes, this song starts playing

youtube.com/watch?v=FIsomh4L-bo

Thanks for the reply, good luck with your research.

I remember someone recommending a Bulgarian movie which had a lot about the Byzantines in it. It was pretty good actually. Some sort of national epic.

youtube.com/watch?v=jdgmUHnaSeQ

this one?

>Absorbed several “barbaric peoples”

>Byzantium
>Uses a painting of a Bulgarian Tzar.

I searched yt for it, the complete series but what I found instead was a Turkish movie, apparently the same comedy wise Byzantium.
youtu.be/zcJMU7um-uk
It has even eng subs.

Gran could see Hamburg burn from 80km away

>For a place as important as Byzantium to our collective history,
>implying
If you aren't a Orthodox Slav or Balkannigger, then it doesn't really matter much. Hence no movies.

interesting movie so far

Germans sucked our cocks you mean.

So French-inspired culture aside, does that make Orlais the HRE?

,m

Das rite, wewuz da real kraut killaz, none dem muhfuka Russians Blyaaat

low IQ post

What a very handsome (east)German

>Cucks great moravia into converting to catholicism instead of orthodoxy
>assimilates polabia, Poland is a good papal boy and doesn't object
>assist the livonian order against fellow slavs
>use latin alphabet unsuited for slavic phonology because germans forced them to

sure

You forgot the part where Germanics abducted ans sold so many Slavs that their tribal name became synonymous with slaves in pretty much every single European language.

>germans forced them to
Didn't know Svatopluk was German

n

Pretty much, although Anderfels is the cultural Germany rip-off.

bump to piss of T*rk subhumans

That was a very big fire though

The ERE is still very significant to the West through its government that was centuries ahead of its contemporaries in terms of bureaucracy, political parties, and social mobility. Of course, most of that doesn't make for good movies other than documentaries. Although 300 would have been cooler if it was about the fall of Constantinople

/pol/kien fans are absolute brainlets
Gondor is the Western Roman Empire and not the Eastern one. They are men of the west fighting armies from the east and they are supported by their Germanic Foederati. Mordors Ash mountains are meant to be represented by the Carpathian mountains and not Anatolia, they are meant to be synonymous with the Huns, an empire that united eastern men and invaded the west. In the same way the Western Roman Empire declined because of civil war, the Emperors position being supplanted by Generals (Stewards) and plagues during the Migration Period so is Gondor in the years leading up the LoTR.

The White City isn't Constantinople or Vienna, it is actually Aurelianum (modern Orleans, France) which came under siege from Attilas coalition but failed when the Roman and Germanic coalition forces arrived to stop them, the leader of both cities saw no hope of victory. Osgiliath is the City of Metz that was sacked by Attila, the river Mordor crosses in to Gondor is the Rhine not the Turkish Straits, the Ottomans had already captured most of Greece, this was not the case for Gondor.

The Battle of the Catalaunian Plains is closer to the Battle of the Pelennor Fields as well. In both battles the Germanic King (Theoderic irl I think) and Theoden die during a cavalry charge and are carried away by their men mid-battle before they are succeeded on the battle field by the next King. In Tolkiens work the men of the west are able to follow Morodr to the black gate, after the battle irl they weren't able to achieve such a feat and Attila returned the following year.

In the same way the men of Rohan are his fanfiction Anglo-Saxons that ain't gonna get beat by no Norman, the men of Gondor and Tolkiens super special Late-Romans who are really good at fighting with infantry and just need a good King who is gonna unify everyone and lead them in to a new age. The guy was a late antiquity-boo to the extreme and not a late middle ages-boo at all.

Tolkien himself mentioned it's Byzantium.

First, Tolkien Gateway isn't a source.

Second, he never once said "Gondor is Byzantium."

Third, "Byzantine" can mean and be applied to more than one thing, for example Russia was described as Byzantine in the 19th century. It can also refer to an unstable political landscape.

Preach, my BLACK brother!

Gondor is LITERALLY BYZANTIUM you fucking mongoloid

>civilized Roman religion, not mystic fratricidal retard
>unsuited for Slavic phonology, are you kidding me, can you even name a Slavic language let alone know one?

t. Brainlet

So, who were the elves supposed to be? The Celts?

The adjective "byzantine" in its modern definition can't be applied to Minas Tirith in any way, shape or form. Gondor's politics were absurdly straight and stable.

Bulgarians were practically the same people as the Byzantines at the time. They were often united too.

>Gondor is the Western Roman Empire and not the Eastern one
the western roman empire is Arnor

Gondor is both the Byzantine empire and the Frankish empire

Mostly the Frankish empire IMO

Technically he was a "Byzantine Emperor", as in he was the ruler in place of some too young, for a few weeks. He won a war, and as part of the peace terms was recognized as emperor. But then when he moved his army to fight in the north, the riling class in Constantinople moved ahead and cancelled everything. Luckily, after that he had to fight constant wars everywhere else, so he never could go back south and demand what was promised.

These are good points, but I'm pretty sure in the context of that letter he meant Byzantine as in 'complicated'.

Actually, I take that back after reading this:

"But in the north Arnor dwindles, is broken into petty princedoms, and finally vanishes. The remnant of the Númenóreans becomes a hidden wandering Folk, and though their true line of Kings of Isildur’s heirs never fails this is known only in the House of Elrond. In the south Gondor rises to a peak of power, almost reflecting Númenor, and then fades slowly to a decayed Middle Age, a kind of proud, venerable, but increasingly impotent Byzantium."

It appears he literally did mean in that sense.

>Gondor is the Western Roman Empire and not the Eastern one
No you moron, the "lost kingdom" of the North is the Western Empire.

True, but Hamburg is at sea level, and the beacons were placed on high hilltops and mountains.

To be fair, he also said Gondor is roughly where Italy currently is, and he didn't base any of his societies simplistically on one source. Byzantium may be Gondor's main inspiration but it certainly isn't the only one.

Is it empire time?