The Great

Who is the greatest Great in history and why is it Alfred The Great?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zfaEGU45lKA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninus
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's not. There are greater greats than him. Charlemagne, Constantine, Hugh Capet, just to name a few men to equal/eclipse him. Alfred was a wonderful monarch, but I'd call Aethelstan the Glorious his equal, at least.

A better question is who is he least great Great in history?

>Who is the greatest Great
Easy,

>Æthelstan the Glorious
There is only one 'The Glorious' in history

>His greatest accomplishment is not being completely retarded like his predecessors
>This apparently warrants "the Great"
This is the state of Anglo Kings.

Alfred the who? I'm not a Westie, but I know about Charlemagne, I don't about this Alfred guy, though. Brits don't seem to have much of the"the Great"s, especially when compared to the French, Spanish and Germans.

At least Alfred wasn't a brainlet and could read and write Latin and translated it into old English. He invented a rudimentary clock, revolutionised education, law and government. He designed ships, cooked cakes, first European leader to effectively BTFO vikings, unified England and more

>I don't about this Alfred guy, though
>Somehow knows he's from Britain
Stop denying common knowledge of thw greatest great

Knut the Great was better :^)

>what is google

Cnut was pretty damn good. Why are Kings of England the best greats?

I think we know who the greatest Great really was.

Catherine the “””Great”””

Alexander the Great. Fucker was a madman

>Throw boatniggers out of foggy grass patch somewhere in the atlantic
>Great
The bar probably wasn't high in early medieval england.

>hey look i can generalise to make something seem less important

>Defeat ancient enemy of my people, conquer their empire and half the known world on top of it
It does sound just a little more impressive, don't you agree?

What if the known world is England to the Anglo-Saxons?

They weren't quite that retarded.

I favor Cyrus because he created a very stable empire that controlled the middle east for a very long time

>Aethelstan
youtube.com/watch?v=zfaEGU45lKA

Ninus.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninus

No, it's Jesus

Alfred the great is instrumental in the creation of England and a titan in the anglo-saxon heritage. He is, for this, greater in the literal sense than all those you have named though I don't doubt you find the others more interesting.

Reminder that England despite it's remoteness, far smaller size and population beat spain then france then germany into subordination in sagas that defined the modern era.
>Brits don't seem to have much of the"the Great"s
>Great Britain
:thinking:
Frederick is great and yet was barely more than albion's mercenary.
Napoleon is the great french man and yet he died, the prisoner of England's king
Spain was once great and yet at their zenith and in their folly against England, lost a great armada and where thereafter tormented by the gentleman pirates of old England who the world now remembers for their unsurpassed dominance of the seas.

Ignorance of Alfred the great is something you should be embarassed about.

im pretty cool

>:thinking:
fuck off back to twitter/facebook

1) Alexander
2) Charlemagne
3) Peter
4) Temudgin
5) Alfred
9001) Frederick

>Frederick is great and yet was barely more than albion's mercenary.

Except most of his greatest accomplishments were made after GB pulled their support. He survived France, Austria and Russia invading Prussia to come out with Catherine on a leash and setting the stage for the Northern German states to unify around Prussia.

>Prussia signs the first trade treaty with the US.

Sorry, old chaps.

The original great is the greatest great that all other greats could only wish to emulate.

I'm talking about Alexander "Hold my beer while I invade the most power state in the entire world and beat it so hard that it will take around 500 years until it can rear it's ugly head again" the Great.

hi

pompey

For conquering: Alexander
For administration and diplomacy: Peter

Nobody outside Anglo countries tries knows about him while everyone know about Charlemagne, the sun king and Napoleon.
Why are Anglo kings so unknown? People usually know 2 (Henry VIII and Victoria)

Absolutely.

Yes Alfred was great but your post gave me cancer

>Anglo Saxon Heritage

History doesn't Care about your LARPing

>Great britain

This is your Brain on blind nationalism

Would say Charlemagne was the best all-rounder of the Greats: politics, conquering, culture and economy