How many of you missed the boat? How many of you were close but didn't pull the trigger?

How many of you missed the boat? How many of you were close but didn't pull the trigger?

>Pic related
The exact day I was about to buy 7900 Bitcoin on my birthday but decided against it and bought a new bike instead. Less than a dollar. Less than a fucking dollar!
I literally think about this moment every day and have done for the past 5+ years. I actually heard about it before this, someone told me on Omegle but I thought it was a scam...

I don't own any Bitcoin anymore. 0. I still feel like I'm going to miss out again but I can't afford it at the current price now. There is no point in buying a small amount really. People say "you would have sold anyway" but I disagree. I'm not impulsive at all, I just didn't pull the trigger when I needed to.

Even if it moons for real, I still missed it. It will only be worth a few hundred at most. I would have been a millionaire several times over by now.

Why did this happen to me Veeky Forums? Just why?! I don't want to be the shmuck loser telling people about "the time I was almost rich" when I'm older. Fuck! I want to be the guy sitting comfortably, thinking about how fortunate I am to have got in at the right time. WHY!?!

What do? I feel suicidal whenever I think about it

Holy fuck this is the stuff of nightmares.

I wouldn't know how to live with myself after that

Worst story I've heard regarding early BTC purchases yet.

you spent 7900$ on a bike?

>can't afford it at the current price

dude you can buy as much as you want
just buy 10 bucks worth if you want ffs, the price of one bitcoin does not matter at all

There are worse ones, and they make me feel a little better... as fucked up as that is. Misery loves company and all that.

Yeah, Kawasaki

You didn't read.
10 bucks worth will never be enough retire on. Even if it mooned to 100k tomorrow.

I honestly think we'll see 30k before the middle of 2018 but I literally am too poor to get in atm

I feel you bro

>be 2010
>browsing /g/ trying to build a ricebox
>see bitcoin threads about mining
>download bitcoin core
>cant figure out how to mine
>seemed scammy so didnt invest money -
cents a bitcoin at the time
>see price rise - want to buy £100 worth at like 30 cents a btc
>didnt have enough money
>forget about it
>come back to Veeky Forums 5 years later
>still dont buy until april 2017

I could be free of wagecuck life by now, just end me

lmao faggot

you would have sold the instant you were up 100% anyway, dont be delusional

Thinking like that is only going to get you down. No one can predict the future perfectly. We can only try our best. I’m happy that I have gains on my shitcoins at all. And I’ve missed more moon rides than you’ve had hot dinners.

Nah you probably wouldve sold

June 2011. I bought 2 coins off bitcointalk from a user, thats the max theyd sell me. I tried selling gift cards and offering to drop ship stuff from amazon to users but no one wanted to spend.

I remember trying to get some on mtgox but I guess I waited too late, then there was the mt gox crash summer 2011 where it went up to like $30 or something then crashed all the way down. I think mtgox either closed down registrations or trades which spooked me.

I was making good money at the time and tossing $1k into random stocks and $10k on projects I wanted to develop so if I would have followed through it would have been with like $5k-$10k.

Fug, 5+ years of struggling when I could have just followed through. I got busy with some project later in 2011 and pretty much worked daily til 2013 on some dead end project that eventually failed.

I'm unironically putting all my money into crypto now, not that I have much.

dude i know it sucks, i contemplated buying bitcoin many times back in the day

but shit, who fucking knows how high it can go, bitcoin is still a hugely disruptive thing and many people have still not heard of it

This. You would have been amazed when you doubled your money and would have sold at

> I was about to buy 7900 Bitcoin

All that statement means is someone was just as stupid willing to SELL the 7900 bitcoins for the price of a new bike

user don't feel bad. You seriously just would have sold, trust me. I was mining waaay fucking back when and sold that shit when it hit $1 and a few pennies. So I hope this makes you feel a little better. The people sitting on fortunes now lucked out and that's how it goes man. Just learn to move on and start making money, there's plenty to be made still

The only real lesson here is to HODL.

>I can't afford it at the current price now. There is no point in buying a small amount really
just margin trade with a leverage
go long on obvious bull breakouts (like today) and short when it drops
invest profits on the dips

I also considered spending money on btc when it was like 7$, would have been a nice sum now, but you must not forget, it was a risk, it could have easily gone the other way.
I mean look at it like this, there are many people that could have bought Amazon or Apple stocks before they blew up, but it would have been just as likely that they put it in some company that died during the dotcom bubble whose name nobody remembers anymore.
Missed money does not equal lost money, and hindsight trading is the easiest thing in life, maybe you could learn something from the market situations then that help you now and in the future.

if you buy one single bitcoin today you can still make hundreds of thousdands

Back in 2009, poor student.

Reading Bitcoin whitepaper, wow so interesting.

Huh, its windows only? Must be a malware.

2010, visa/mastercard faggots blocking wikileaks, can not donate, huh bitcoin is still there, satoshi seems angry. Should avoid getting the G-Men after me.

2011. Sigh, should get into this now. They want $1 dollar per bitcoin? Mining pools? GPU? Was this the vision, centralization of coin generation?

2011, $1 dollar. No way, the other guys just yesterday got it for free basically, Ima use that dollar to buy a coffee at the library and impress the studentesses. Gavins Faucet, is inactive sigh. OK LATER.

2012, huh still going up.

2013. $1000 now its way to overpriced.

2013. mt gox, oh it crashed. what kind of people would sign up for whitepaper but put their e-money in a bank and play banksters together?

2014 attempt to buy bitcoin, this is too difficult even for me, imagine how it is for normal people, fuck it.

2015, busy life.

2016 december, sigh, buy 1 bitcoin at $900. god damn bastards delivered 0.995!

2017, buy shitcoins, go all in spend 1 bitcoin on altcoins.

2017 june/july, sell altcoin for 32bitcoins.

2017 china fud sell. china fud buy back, 40 bitcoins.

2017, buy metaverse with 0.99 bitcoin. huh it goes up. fuck it balls deep in. 40btc.

Sell some a few hours ago. 120 bitcoins now.

What next?

wow post your address

>op could have had 50 million by now

I understand your pain, OP.

>early 2010
>BTC still worth nothing at all
>running heroics in WoW
>spergy friend telling me about BTC in vent
>slightly interested, but it sounds like a gimmick
>plus I'm having fun in WoW, so I don't want to do any research

I could have invested a pathetic $10 and been a multi millionaire by now.

The friend who told me about BTC also kinda got JUST'd. He sold his holdings for about 12k when BTC was around $1.

God damn, I got nothing but respect for that. 120 btc from 1 sounds like one hell of a ride.

Maybe

Not at all

I don't think so. I think I would have sold a chunk at 1k but kept enough regardless

Either way, I didn't, and it pisses me off every god damn day.

Even my dad laughed at me when BTC hit 1k.

>Maybe
dont fuck yourself over again or youll regret it again

Just continously pour money into bitcoin until you have at least 1 single coin, or you'll spend the next 10 years regretting this over again

Not really a hell of a ride, since my brain isnt yet wired to see 7 bitcoins as a huge sum, it is just 7.

Especially numbers like 0.254 looks like a fraction and not significant at all.

That picture really hurts to look at

I'm trying to get in right now but I'm poor as shit now, I had spare money back then

how did you know when to buy and when to sell? Did you mostly get in ICOs?

Pump REQ

Yeah, so, do not dwell on it, instead act.

Even with bitcoin reign supreme at $100k, there is even at that price space left in the market for 4-5 other coins.

I almost bought 100 bitcoins at 10cents but i was a poor student I needed those 10€ kek

always miss the boat

Ok. Good fortune to you

The pain

End of 2016 was still quiet, I got in by luck before the major pumps which affected even actual shit coins like OMG, Dash.

Byteball and IOTA were my selections - since they are at least attempting to solve bitcoin scaling problem with innovative designs.

The only not-another-blockchain coins.

Got half out of IOTA when realized it was another shitcoin/vaporware around May but kept the rest since people are idiots.

Knew when to sell, when people started telling each other to have iron hands and balls of steel, right after ATH was reached yet downward trend began.

ICOs are scams.

Okay so you missed out, but you yourself said that you aren't impulsive. So that's part of why you didn't take a large risk and instead went for something with immediate tangible benefit.

That said, there is still plenty of money to be made with cryptocurrency. Just in the last however many months, NEO did what percentage? You can dwell on how much you could have made then or you could say hey, I still have faith in the market, I'm gonna drop a thousand bucks on btc, I can use 400 of that for investing in other projects with a higher potential return as long as I keep on top of it

Just quit being a bitch and make money while the money is good

Teach me how to bitcoin. Do they trade 24/7? Why/why not? Better sites than coinbase? Can I buy and sell essentially instantly?

>Do they trade 24/7?
Yes
>Better sites than coinbase?
depends on your country. Coinbase is reliable, but its fees are gay
>Can I buy and sell essentially instantly?
On exchanges, yes

>Do they trade 24/7

not during sjabbat

Anyone who didn't get in

Post your address, I'll make you own slightly more than 0

Any other factors? What kind of stuff will through the market wildly up or down?

Pretty unfortunate, sorry about your projects user. Hopefully this crypto ride doesn't end anytime soon.

I got in at $4 but I don't hate myself.

I will not bore you with my words, sir. All I will say to you is please help me. You do not care who I am, but if you truly are willing to give me- give, for I have no means of ever paying you back- even a fraction of a bitcoin, know that you will have helped another human being who right now is in such desperate need of help that he would likely be reduced to tears by the act.

1KqBi84Kus8tJRpbpHFRKyNQtsXe8nNZBD

Don't feel too bad. I double majored in economics and computer science. I heard about bitcoin basically as soon as it came out (I think in 11? same time I was studying) and looked into it to see whether it was worth putting some money in. You'd think with my training I'd have been in a perfect position to see the potential returns and buy in. But I didn't.

My economics training had taught me that it was a bad buy (no intrinsic value etc.). My computer science training had taught me that it was a bad buy (flawed model that didn't do what it claimed to do e.g. no privacy even though it claimed privacy). I'd also seen previous attempts at digital cash all fail laughably. I decided not only was it worthless, but it was just another shit attempt among many shit attempts that had come before. The last point is why not only did I reject it, but I actively ignored it for years afterward. I literally had no idea it was still a thing, and mooning, until not long ago, so I missed years of gains.

Here's the hilarious thing though. I think my analysis at the time was correct. It is worthless and it is technically flawed. When I hear trained people like Buffett and Bernanke and Dimon say BTC is shit I completely agree with them. They're right. There's a reason basically zero people trained in economics/finance bought in. Because BTC is shit.

What I and they failed to realize is that it doesn't matter. BTC is juuuust plausibly 'good' enough for smart but untrained optimists to buy into. And I could have made lots of money off them.

If you wish: 1JDm5uoyP1KqrpUWPKCaPSbtu4nm4UQtzF

Pajeet beggar

>sent
>sent
I want to help you out because your story is sad and I know how I would feel, but also I'm Indian.

if it's any solace, the people who had the opportunity and passed on it are the ones who would have sold at a price well below even the first bubble bitcoin went through.

the only hope would have been if you somehow forgot you owned any, but the fact that it was a big enough deal for you to turn it down means you probably would have sold well before even the 2013 bubble.

Thats probably true, but if he really started with 7900 bitcoins or more, then selling them at $18 or even $10 would be life changing money.

Thanks a bunch man. Really appreciate that. Have a good day

Also are there better websites than coinbase in the USA?

yes
Just don't kill yourself lol.

>People say "you would have sold anyway" but I disagree. I'm not impulsive at all
It's not a matter of "impulsive." It's a matter of looking at 20x profit and saying "that's enough for me". You would have had to been a fucking madman who hates money to hold from $1 to $5000.
The real profiters from Bitcoin are the ones who bought a bunch and forgot about it until they see a news article 6 years later.

I disagree. I am not impulsive, if I bought, I'd have kept until at least it hit 1k for the first time.

I'd have probably sold a chunk and still kept some in since I believed in the coin since I first really looked into it.

Just never had the funds since then...

of course, but when you put it in that perspective, i would say that its still very possible to come out with 150k in crypto starting with $10k or so today.

I'm gonna try get in little by little until I have at least 1 BTC

Hopefully the price doesn't moon just yet.

You must be doing well

i'd say the real profiters are the zealots who were in it for near religious reasons right from the beginning, even those who forgot about it would have definitely remembered during the first bubble and probably dumped most of it then.

They're salty, that's why they don't like it.

An economics background should have informed you that currency or stores of value can be literally anything. A comp sci background should have told you that an open source, transparent, decentralized ledger was an exciting technology even when considering scalability issues. Given bitcoin's ease of transfer/storage, high security/extremely powerful network, fungibility, scarcity, etc. You should have dropped out of school because it literally prevented you from making millions and now you'll never be comped $1000 of sushi, you dumb Taco Bell nigger.

You could have gotten 47 million if you sold 7900 now. That sucks, user.

Probably the way Satoshi intended it.

Only the real believers win. They'd had to have read the white papers, been in the right circles, kept strong through all bubbles, etc... Then a few smaller winners later on, but after that? Too bad.

I'm angry at myself if anything. Some things you regret forever.

Realistically, I'd have sold a chunk at 1k but would still probably have some left

I'll always regret taking acid in Thailand.

I was tortured and denied water, thrown into a Thai jail, tied up and beaten by the police.

Also, I didn't bring my bitcoins with me, they're on a bunch of flashdrives and a dead laptop. (81 total BTC owned in my family.)

t. untrained NEET

Where are you from? I think I know you

holy fucking shit

i can't blame you man, bitcoin was mostly used in the darknets and you couldn't even cash out

Washington state

C O P E

You aren't seriously implying tulips are similar, are you?

absolutely, and those kinds of people continue to get out ahead especially with all the shitcoins coming out today, the people with the patience to cut through the bullshit and read whitepapers get an even bigger advantage.

I'm implying it but I'm not entirely serious.

he's just one of those salty people who's been predicting bitcoin's collapse since 2012, with a fundamental misunderstanding of exactly what makes money money.

No coiners have been making this comparison with tulips excessively for the past year or so. Basically brainlets who don't understand market dynamics.

These are the same people who think literally everyone is a Nazi.

t. Austrian

My situation is kinda the exact opossite. I am about to get a lot of money, maybe on monday, and I always wanted to invest in Bitcoin. But now im full of fear and doubt, I have been reading articles all day and defaulted back to Veeky Forums (long time user). I want to ask you guys advice but I assume you have thousands of "when should I buy bitcoin?" threads every day.

I fear ill invest all that money on BTC in the wrong moment and have a huge loss. Like if I buy now then it will have a huge drop in price. If I buy later hoping for a price drop when russia bans it or the hardfork causes a price drop then im sure those drops will never happen and BTC will continue raising to 10K and beyond.

Help me im so fucking scared!

I got in at .03. I sold at .50. I had over ten thousand.

I'm in a similar position OP, I made 250k betting on trump winning last year. I went from 70k in debt to 190k in the bank, life was finally fucking good. I was in a huge hole, and my logic was, well, if I'm going to kill myself anyway, I should try this idea first, I borrowed another 80k & gambled it on the orangeadmam, thinking either it works and life is worthwhile, or I can kill myself knowing I tried.

Then I moved to a new city to move in with my best friend, got a new job which I couldn't trade & do at the same time, so I stopped tradinf shares & ended up Hodl on a spec stock I'm like...140k down on atm. Oh, and the person I thought was my best friend was actually stealing from me to boot. Even worse, my intuition said it was odd he kept the room free for mo this before I moved in, I ignored it & now I'm in deep shit.

The real killer though? I went though my old word doc on my pc and found a note I wrote two weeks after the election, it was entry prices for btc, gold & alphabet shares. Had I done what I was fucking looking at, and bought btc without leverage I'd be at like 800k now, with leverage it would be 8 - 10m. I was literate one fucking move off total financial freedom. My intuition was leading me in the right fucking direction and ignoring it cost me immensely.

Plan now? When btc pulls back after the Gold fork FUD, get as much credit as I can, get all the leverage I can, and go long. Either this is a flat tyre on a long journey (meaning I will make it, I'll just be a bit late), or it blows up on me & I can top myself.

You can wallow in regret OP or you can take massive action. If you're thinking about suicide already, reframe it as a license to borrow, besides, won't be your debt when you're dead :p.

Ouch, although its people like you who sold early on that causes the market to move at all.

I'm honestly just gonna put $1k in bitcoin and hold.
I've had so many opportunities to invest over the years, if I invest now and wait like 5-6 years maybe it'll pay off, if not I doubt I'd miss the $1k given the potential pay off it could have had.

same, but I luckily forgot about them for like 5, still proud of me for hodling like an expert ^-^

Plox

1MMc3pvsCDQ9wCZ1xt8TrdwiWeKZHhenNb

Cost average in. idk know how much you plan on investing, but just divide that up to equal amounts and invest that amount once a week or month.

Bought weed for 250 BTC per gram. Now hodling 21 BTC but it cost me a lot more as I only got in last December

Year or so? Try since the start! It's old now!

Buy in after a dip. Do nothing but hold. I'm OP. Take it from me. Don't be me.
Don't be a "what if" guy. DO IT AND HODL.

>I made 250k betting on trump winning last year. I went from 70k in debt to 190k in the bank, life was finally fucking good
Fucking sweet shit man.

>well, if I'm going to kill myself anyway, I should try this idea first, I borrowed another 80k & gambled it
God damn. Gambling and suicidal thoughts must be linked, someone needs to study this shit. Depression and gambling go hand in hand.

Wish you all the luck in the world though. Hopefully all will work out.

What happened to all the BTC miners on /g/?

Surely some of them are still around to tell their tales?

I mined some BTC in 2010, stopped at 1337 BTC after 2 1/2 months of mining with my Intel CPU and forgot about it. HDD died in late 2011 and i didn't care about the wallet, because i just forgot.. Last december a friend of mine told me he is building mining rigs to mine Ethereum, and that it would explode like Bitcoin did. I instantly remembered my old wallet, and asked him what the price was. He told me 750 bucks.

>JUST.jpg

The day after, i took my lifesavings about $7500 at that time and bought Ethereum for $7.58. Sold the first 10% at $100. 20% at $200
10% at $300 10% at $400 and the remaining 50% all the way down to $180. Yes i'm a weakhanded faggot. But i did good, can't complain really.

OP, you are a nice LARPING FAGGET because NOBODY SANE WOULD BUY 7900BTC at that time.

>OP, you are a nice LARPING FAGGET because NOBODY SANE WOULD BUY 7900BTC at that time.
Dude, people were losing more on Silk road orders getting picked up by border agents. You have no clue what you're talking about.

People literally spent more on nothing.

Tip: get the BTC into a hardware wallet and make backups. Then hide that shit and declare bankruptcy. your credit will be fucked but in a few years you can pull the BTC out and flee the country.

>lost 1337 btc on hdd

I'm so glad this is a common thing. Keeps ancient whales from emerging and tanking the price.

I have a lot of bitcoin. i wake up most mornings over the past few years and check the value and smile

somebody gave me a fraction of coin, some stupidly low number, just so I'd have something in my wallet
well years later it balloned to a whopping 40 quid and I spent it on a new hard drive from CEX

that's my story

Congrats my man. You were a winner.

guys I have about 17 ETH and nothing else.. think I should just transfer it all to BTC?

Only one way out user. Don't miss this opportunity again Electroneum is your last chance of living this dream and becoming a rich fuck. It is already at its market cap so you will need to buy in when it releases on Nov 1.

I'll see you on the moon

I should add ot wasn't like I did it on a whim, I followed the election for months like a second job & went balls deep when the clinton FBI shit broke. 250k sound s good, but If I knew what I now know about finance, I'd have shorted the peso on 100 - 250x leverage and made like 2 - 5m off the same 80k capital. There's always more to learn.

Shit's way too real.

Fuck, even if I had started snapping up some BTC around my birthday back in January I'd have some serious gains

makes me wonder how many BTC are lost for good. I'll bet your story isn't very rare among early miners

The dream

Underrated