/ASX/

What're some hot stocks that we should be paying attention to?

Also, is there any Australian hedges that can return like 10% back roughly? I'm 19, been working casually while studying since I was like 14. Over this time I've managed to save like $12k AUD, can't justify spending all that money on a car or a holiday; want to do something with it to generate more money.

Having it sit in a shitty term deposit is just keeping it constant, making up for like inflation and that's about it. I don't know much about hedging and shit, but surely there's a company that I can throw my $10k into and they'll return $11k after they've pooled it together and taken majority of profits?

Do they have services like superannuation, where you can sort of choose which industry you want your money in; bonds, cash, foreign currency, etc - except it's just like a bank account/term deposit, as opposed to not having access to it until you're 65?

Other urls found in this thread:

web.stanford.edu/~wfsharpe/art/active/active.htm
coinbase.com/join/59ce674ef94b8300dd84cdef
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What you need is a macro-market active manager. It's easy to beat 10 percent annually with very little risk.

I've been getting >10% wth managed funds for the last 15 years

hello my fellow australian, we had an asx thread yesterday

they used to be daily, but with the crypto craze the threads disappeared completely. we are trying to bring them back on fridays to discuss the last week on the asx

Where do I get one?

Go for Vanguard but you need a 5k minimum to open one

Thanks

a2m has made me a killing, hedging macro events with short term BAL trades. But the tax on short term gains is a killer.

Go with a managed fund though kid unless you understand exactly how to balance, build and repair portfolio holdings.

>kid

this is why no one respects what people say on here

well 19 is very young, still a kid.
The earlier you start with proper investment strategy and consistency , the faster you will understand and pick up on the learning curve.

Managed funds can be a landmine, I've worked for a few and seen mixed results. But the safest bet for mitigating large loss from inexperience.

it is but there is no need to talk down to him like a fuckwit

i agree with everything you have said though

Ahhh I'll have a search around for one, got any more specific suggestions?
Fuck me dead, decent effort then; is >10% returns sort of average? What's your risk like?
Yeah my bad, not very active on Veeky Forums and usually just come around every couple of months for a cheeky ASX thread; will definitely be tuning in weekly though
Yeah, only 19 so calling me a kid is definitely fair game. I really just feel like having $12k in a bank account is just a big waste when it could be doing a little more for me. But then again it would ruin me if I lost it all so want to try minimise that if possible

Unironically buy bitcoin. Do not bother with stocks. You'll likely lose money if you pick them yourself, and you're not going to make much if you get the sensible ones (7% p/a, peanuts on 12k)

Hear me out, 12k is not a lot of money compared to what you're going to earn in your twenties. You'll be saving twice that much per year.

The advantage that you have now is that bitcoin is only 7.7k AUD. If it increases to go up as it has over the past years, you'll be incredibly better off in your twenties. That bitcoin and a half could be a large house deposit, or even a house.

You're young, take risks. Any loses you can easily recover from, and the potential gains are incredible.

t. ausfag with shares and crypto

probably a bad idea to buy bitcoin though considering that it's value is completely subjective and prone to catastrophic collapse in value. much better off investing in a company that actually provides goods and services

...how old are you? Seriously, I'm interested.

I don't think its a bad idea to have at least 1 bitcoin, granted that you buy it now.
Who knows, maybe in ten years its worth hundreds or thousands. Or perhaps it collapses like you say, and its worth nada. Its a risk, and its only 6k, which isn't a lot.

we also have sportsbet, crownbet and bet365 if you are interested

It's okay, you're still young enough to change your ways. Good luck picking "companies that provide goods and services" that have returns like these :)

You probably want to buy stocks in companies, OP. How you want to do it is up to you.

>Active funds / Managed Funds
Costly (2% yearly), but managed by people who know what they're doing and will find good returns. Hands off, your bank probably offers these.
>Passive funds / ETFs
Traded like a single stock, but is a basket of stocks. Have outperformed active funds over the last 10 years, but that isnt guaranteed to continue. Stock brokers offer these. In the US, SPY is a popular offering.
>Vanguard
An active fund that tries to have low fees and acts like an ETF. Midway between an active and passive fund.
>Pick your own stocks
Self hosted active fund. Most fun, but most risky. You'll need a stock broker and a steady hand.
>Bitcoin
Buyer beware!

I wouldn't really compare it with a gamble, if that's what you're implying. Think of bitcoin as an internet money transfer medium that doesn't depend on an authority. I think its a very useful technology, but not yet popularized as it should. But Japan, Israel, China and many other countries know the value it has (the technology, not the coin itself).

The important part is to remember that it wasn't designed to hold, just to transfer. Holding is just something purely incidental, a by-product. But, on the other hand, there will only be 21 million bitcoins ever mined, so it is certainly possible that with all the market capacity that the network will have (perhaps estimated in trillions of dollars), each of those coins will translate to a lot of money.

whats with the condescending bullshit? fucking sick of it. this is the one place where we should be helping our fellow australians out and you treat them like shit. unbelievable

The question itself is fucking retarded.
>What stocks should I pay attention to, but what managed service should I use...

But due you seem to be triggered by my wording, I will offer some more advice.
The downfall of Monash IVF has a large potential upside with both the postal vote and plebiscite , but as well as infertility levels. There is a long term benefit which goes without saying, will come with the 50% tax discount.

Don't recommend managed funds. Mathematically proven to return market average (before fees) by Nobel laureate, William Sharpe, namesake of the Sharpe Ratio.

web.stanford.edu/~wfsharpe/art/active/active.htm

Read the paper, it's very accessible.

The cryptocuckery continues, the 'investor' with no understanding of volatility. They all slip up at once point , so just let him trip himself up.

"companies that provide goods and services" have an actual intrinsic worth. SO please Crptard, explain to people with actual investment insight , how do you mitigate market risk, how do you measure volatility and how do you justify action superior to people who don't want to sit back and LARP.

Its not as simple as that, sadly. For example, his definition of passive fund is not achievable in practice. In reality, you need to choose an ETF? Which ETF do you pick? Picking a passive fund is actually an active decision.
Active funds are nice for people who want to hands off their money because it lets them not need to think about anything.

Why did I buy weed stocks in Feb instead of A2M?
MMJ has done nothing so far.
I should have bought Nvidia instead of AMD too. I fell for too many memes. At least I didn't lose any money though, just potential.

Well how do you value your prospects?
How can you assume profitability in rev, EPS, DIV and other stats?

>unless you understand exactly how to balance, build and repair portfolio holdings.
Why is it you place so much emphasis on this?

You'd be far better off putting 100% of your money into American & Asian semiconductor companies for the next 5 years than having a 'balanced' portfolio.

The only diversification would be in the type of chips (memory, gfx, foundries etc)

>AMD
It's almost like they exist just so Intel and Nvidia dont get slapped with anti-trust sanctions

I've put $400 AUD into BTC so far; it's now worth nearly $900 AUD so I've doubled it, plus some. But yeah, no where near confident in BTC continuing to grow to throw $12k into it; maybe like $1k but yeah, not much more than that I think.
Exactly right desu, if you understand the technology though it's rare that it would catastrophically fuck up; but it definitely could drop pretty hard without warning. With an actual company you'll see a lot of red flags before any of that happens usually. Like said though, not a bad idea to have a little.
Fucking lucky cunt, that's like nearly two years of expenses for sort of comfy living right there. What exchange are you with, CoinBase doesn't even let Australians sell their fucking crypto :(
Cheers for the summary, will have a deeper look into all of it; good starting point though, thanks.
I know a lot of people are pretty certain it will go to $10k USD but I'm a bit shaky as to if it will go further. I mean it makes complete sense that it should continue to grow; and when the last BTC is mined it'll sky rocket due to how the system will change. But I just really don't know, and am not confident enough to throw down most of what I'm worth.
>What stocks should I pay attention to, but what managed service should I use.
It was more of a general question to kick off the ASX thread followed by a few questions I figured some people might want to throw their input into and start a bit of a beneficial discussion; didn't know it was retarded to ask two questions. But yeah, trading my own stocks seems a lot more complicated and I'd probably fuck it up, hence why I'm looking for a way of someone who's better at it and can provide better returns than it just sitting in a bank

fuck investing
just get into matched betting
risk free

Ryzen is great, Vega also does well. Their only problem is they're always late. Vega should have been out a year ago.
desu mate, I know nothing about stocks. I was just hoping to see some nice numbers in a few years. It was also fun watching the markets change. I only put $500 in each, so if that money disappears it's not a huge deal for me

You wouldn't actually, sudden dumps and retention in price or industry within 4 SD of ER is far more deadly than losing out on one portion of your portfolio and still returning some gains with a RF and near riskless security set.

Sub diversification like you have suggested can be seen as an asset in accordance to economic environment and competition hedging.
I am aware of a few firms that actually guarantee a return above 10% after all fees are deducted. It's a real minefield out there though.

What are your current holdings ?
I could speculate and guide you in another direction of they seem a bit off

Hey guys, Baba back again to shill MEI.

Shill shill shill
kakakaka

No point shilling, the gains will speak for themselves.

Bump.
But does anyone actually think that Aus debt is cheap, or a collateral nightmare?

i didnt realise that the baba poster was australian

still havent looked at the small cap that you mentioned. ill have a gander this week

>MEI
It has horrid financials for 15/16 and they arent exactly great for 16/17. I had seen the 16 report and it was riddled with little errors and fucking shit as well as a dogturd auditor.

Major money would be able to move the price, given you are able to fill current sell orders, and this is seemingly bottom of the barrel. But if you know something, please do tell, I'd be more than happy to drop 25 in to pump the price given you make it worth our while.

I will concede high liquidity and acid test given it's demise, but I feel this is mostly due to it's inflated PBR from inflow of equity.

If I can remember correctly it wasn't making any distribution and was levered to the tits with interest expense ?

Where do you see value Baba?

At this point in time they don't need too much money, they will probably do a CR around 15-20c range. The reasoning for this is that a lot of the initial drilling has been completed already - years ago. MEI has all this data which came on board with their new Technical Director.

"Have been doing a bit of reading on Shastri Ramnath. She literally cut her teeth on these projects before meteoric came along which is probably why meteoric used Exiro and Orix ( Ramnath) to facilitate the projects inception. Three months later she comes on board as our Technical Director. She knows more about the area and this project than anybody else and now joins the team officially not as a contractor." - Rab, Hotcopper.

This company is not like what it was 2 years ago, they have completely changed direction and have massive potential now.

Honestly feels like TAR few weeks back when Klaus put his DAUGHTER as the CEO. Obviously TAR was going to acquire something good.

DYOR.

COINBASE
Invite a friend who buys or sells $100 of digital currency or more, and you'll both earn $10 of free bitcoin!

coinbase.com/join/59ce674ef94b8300dd84cdef

help me out

1Hof6ErhKdKJtTRRomQZaybxeXYLspopSR

10$ for 2 min of work its worth it 10$ for both of us

blow your fucking brains out

There is an opportunity for some quick short term gains, but it seemingly is a debt ridden hunk of shit.
Given the -500k 2017 rev, I do see what you are saying, but how long do you think someone should hold this?

Another thing I realised is the horrific lack of long term liquid assets. I hope this goes well for you, the NAV could be way more promising than ever given positive results.

I'll be holding a few months tops.
Just riding the EV gravy train lately

Care to share those few firms that give that guarantee; would appreciate it muchly

You just bought the wrong bongstock
MXC is up so much for me

Also reposting from some user last thread about dividen stocks, it might be usefull:
If you want dividend payers buy A-REIT's (no point buying overseas because of muh franking credits)

I have positions in three A-REIT's:
>$RFF (agriculture)
>$ARF (childcare)
>$NSR (storage)

RFF is the highest growth so pays the lowest dividend (~4.5%). NSR will basically never see any growth so pays the highest dividend (~6%). So obviously on $10k that is $600/year.

The only one I really expect capital appreciation on is RFF and they have done well for me so far.

I've been watching MXC for like probably a year now and I swear it's done nothing but sit at 0.040 the whole time; with a small budge when some new hit about WA legalising

You are totally right on the A-REIT's for now, but the market will implode hopefully. No way in hell that a shitty place in melb is 2 mil.

On second thoughts not too comfy sharing it here. But there are plenty, what city are you based in?
>MXC
Sell that shit ASAP.... at 8cps it is tops.