Ethereum

Is it still worth investing in 8 gpu mining rig to mine ethereum?
To me eth future looks very gloomy.
What does /g/ think?
Do you mine eth?
Are you planing to mine something else in future?

look into ETP, undervalued blockchain and you can mine it same algo as ethereum

im also thinking about buying a rig, now im choosing between 1070 and rx 580, can't decide, because 1070 is more flexible in cryptocurrencies thant amd cards, because amd is mainly for eth and only few others. Maybe someone could suggest?

NOBODY FUCKING KNOWS THIS STOP SPREADING THIS AROUND

SERIOUSLY FUCK YOU

DIFFICULTY HAS GONE UP ENOUGH ALREADY

I have the same question. Is it worth spending time and money? :)

i have free electricity, which card should i go?

fuck off

hi there, i came here looking for the exact same answer, the consensus i came to was the gtx 1070 was the most efficient as it can be undervolted to 100w and still get 30 mhs, not sure how true this is, can you test this with a program? i thinkg its called gzar or something

also if doing the 1070 which you recomend? ice geard gigabyte windforce oc stays the coolest

also what about rig size, ost people do 6, can you run 8 at once? oh and should i set up on linux or is that gonna make much of a difference

Great idea until you ruin a graphics card.

how often does this happen, ive heard putting in too much voltage is the only way to do this so what if it is undervolted to 70 and the memory clock is increased, can increasing the clock significantly damage a gpu over time?

if you don't have free electricity don't even try to mine. best investment is to buy coins directly.

HEY GUYS YOU CAN MINE ETP (METAVERSE) WITH GPUS! FREE MONEY! GET ON THIS! THE NEXT ETHEREUM! POINT ALL YOUR GPUS TO IT RIGHT NOW!

Nobody mines ethereum anymore, and an 8 GPU mining rig isn't going to get you shit, you'll need at least 5 rigs of 6 GPU each to even start as a decent miner

why not, all the ming calculators say its profitable to mine, assuming the price stays at $300 per coin and that you propperly overclock your rig, isnt investing a riskier option seeing as if it does collapse in value at the very least you can sell off your gpus and make your money back and keeps the coins you already mined

Wait til the 25th to see how ether is affected, before then noone really can answer this for you

why not though, using the mining calculators, and assuiming 0.2 $/Kwh, 30mhs and 100wats youd still get about $300 profit roughly in a year assuming the price stays the same, i want to know why people are saying it isnt worth mining on a rig, are the mining calculators misleading people in some way?

what happens on the 25th

When it goes more down the road to transition to proof of stake let me know, and the nvidia cards suck at mining ethhash

Im mining ETH and I dont pay electricity.

Im averaging $50 a month given the prices as of now.

you have warranty, theyl give you a new one

I'm looking into ways to get cheap electricity
I have 2 rx rigs doing 350mh on eth using 3kw total (a lot)
1 gtx1070 x7 on nicehash mining whatever is most profitable
Ordered another one with vegas for monero, I think they are pretty gud at that (2500sols each vega)

I want to know too because running a miner on my main computer i use that is in my room seems impractical. I ran zen miner with my one asus strix 1080ti and wasnt too impressed. I am not sure if i should take the risk in investing in a rig since everyone says its not worth it. Maybe when alt coins arent raping my portfolio i will take the risk

I even considered solar, but it's too expensive.
Next bet will be either rented industrial area (per m2) or a farming licence (kek). That shit gives you pretty much free kw

true but ive heard that isnt happening til 2021, i guess noone will rreally know for sure but is tit happening within a year or so?

whats your rig? im looking into making one, im actually lookingup what gpu to use and people seem to say the gtx 1070 is better overall but then theres another bunch of people recomending rx 480 and rx 580 so its hard knowing whats the most efficient at the moment

true but would run out in a year, whats the best way to keep performance high but damage lowm am i safe if i never increase the voltage?

Yes as long as you dont fuck with voltage, but the main concern is the fans giving out if you are running them at 100% 24/7 for months.

i guess the fans could be replacable or fixable thought right? if its a two fan card and one fails whats the worst case, it overheats and fries? can you put a failsafe into afterburner to shut it down maybe

Its my gaming PC. GPU is a 1080

also I deposit earnings into from wallet to another for security, before someone comments on using Windows.

Yah, im actually planning on building multiple GPU rigs in the basement for various coin mining operations.

>nobody mines ethereum anymore

Even if this were true, it would be all the more reason TO mine, since less competition, you mong

Maybe i am not too sure but i think you could set up case fans near the gpu and have the gpu fans on a lower setting that way you are still able to cool your gpu to a proper temp without gpu fans being on 100%. I think i saw some rigs with this in them

It might increase your Watt usage though.

The irony here is when people believe mining is pointless because its not profitable.

The whole reason I mine is to offset electric costs as well as invest in an appreciating asset, so I believe. Even though Im not really making anything in significant USD value, Im still gathering ETH gradually over time without having to spend a single dollar.

looks like there are always coins to GPU mine
i'm considering one gtx1080ti for my new pc because of that

and then one dedicated 6x gtx1070 rig later

This, I agree completely. Which is exactly why it popped into my head to start mining yesterday and I've been pretty much researching it all day.

Probably won't last for long, once crypto gets big and the public starts crying about >muh electricity consumption, everything will probably move to POS or some other proof-of-whatever. But by then we'll have as good as free ETH, ETP, Zcash etc.

If you pay for electricity, dont buy a 1080ti. Its one of the most if not the most powerful gpu for mining, but also uses a lot of electricity.

Im more than likely going to setup a 4-6 GPU rig made of 1070's

I started mining, 3 days ago. 4 days ago it hit me how large all of this could be.

I have been obsessed with crypto.

i'm going to use it for gaming too

didnt read your whole post, my b. You have the right mindset actually.

True but couldnt you make the argument that the resell value of 1080tis would be higher thus making it worth it? Especially for those of you lucky enough to have free electricity fuck me.

no 1080ti will be worth half as much in a few years. GPU's are not long term investments because businesses will make better ones by next year anyways.

actually i tried it with my gtx 1070 the other day and with 70% power usage and a 450 memory clock increase it didnt go past 54 degrees c while the fans were at like 60

If you can alter your fan settings, allow your 1070 to run a little hotter. Letting it go to 60C is much better as it puts less load on the fans. Less load on fans = Longer service life. It won't long term heat damage until it hits >75C.

Even if Casper arrives soon you can switch to RNDR and make a killing once it's working.

ahh i see thats good advice thanks

Can you game and mine on the same driver, if you have an NVIDIA card?

AMD seems to have separate "blockchain" and "gaming" drivers.

Listen carefully faggot. ETH was stagnant, with Link it will realize its full potential. Both to the moon. Bow down and worship my cock now boi