Meme monster stories from history

Did people really believe in things like this?

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/62620013
youtu.be/aFpn3Cv2CE4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

sauce?
also yes, look at the vampire "epidemic" in 18th century central/eastern europe

Picture for a moment you are a central European farmer in the 16th century. The land around you is rather rugged, with small farms and woods adjacent to you. You head to the local village only once a week, to trade goods and stories.

You hear how a neighbor's wife has died of some ailment, and no one knows the cause. Another lost a child, the fourth one to die. An elderly man disappeared in the woods. Misfortune tends to happen in groups. You hear from the clergy how spirits trouble the world, sinners and the pious alike. You know the woods to be full of boars and wolves, but wonder if there might be darker things there. The way wolves attack your livestock and damage your livelihood, you almost wonder if they arent some evil spirits sent to plague your family.

What said but add to that pre existing beliefs in various beings and entities.
Alot of monsters were clearly just meant to make children act prudently though. Skogsråt and Näcken are just thinly disguised messages to your kids to stay the fuck away from flirtatious strangers who want to take them into the woods.

It was a historical text I just read for my early modern asia class
It's one of Zheng He's expeditions, written by Ma Huan
It's Vietnamese

Genesis 6:1-4, divine beings come to earth and fuck human women, who give birth to giants. Fucking awesome story.
>And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them, that the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose. And the Lord said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years. There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

hmm interesting, it sounded really similar to the penanggalan and krasue of south east asia

The Yoruba of West Africa believed the Iroko tree was occupied by a hostile spirit. When you cut it down to make furniture from it, he’d make spooky noises in your house and move shit around.

The Turks were confused as fuck over the Slavic vampire panic

Sauce?

Skeptical muslims being weirded out by superstitious slavs sounds funny

I believe it was either here or in Veeky Forums that it's been shown more cases of "monsters" in history were most likely the serial killers of their time.

don't have anything good to contribute but I just want to say i absolutely love this thread

Vampires are just Jews honestly.
>drinking blood of Christians
>participating in satanic rituals
>visibly repulsed by crosses and proper hygiene
>ugly as fuck
>forming secret cabals and pretending to be normal humans
The Slavs just thought dying in a certain manner will turn you into a vampire and associated vampires with the macabre which is not surprising considering Jews smell like corpses. And no wonder vampire panics are associated with pogroms.

Ergot is a hell of a mold.

>considering Jews smell like corpses.

Guess who this guy voted for.

I know this site hates kikes but seriously this is pretty cool. A dybbuk, they call it.

vimeo.com/62620013

Better resolution, watch this version

youtu.be/aFpn3Cv2CE4

There's more to the unexplained than serial killers. Infant mortality, crop failure etc had to be blamed on someone.

Actually it's kind of amazing how many similar legends there are to that all over the world. As far back as the Babylonians, you see legends of partly disembodied flying long tongued women causing miscarriages, SIDS, and the like. China has em, Europe has em, Africa has em, various indigenous people in far off lands have them.

Granted, most of civilization comes from a handful of sources, it may just be a legend that was once really popular at the dawn thereof and mutated into various forms by word of mouth.

Or, like certain namefags will claim, like dragons, they are real. (Dun dun dun...)

Pic related, however, is sadly more unusual.

I doubt you'll guess right.

Miljöpartiet?

Convergent evolution exists culturally too

Like how basically every culture had languages taboos to avoid summoning fearsome animals

du sitter väll inte ensam och super framför datorn nu igen?

Ännu värre faktiskt. Sitter ensam och pluggar framför datorn.