ITT: Historical moments that make you cry

>This was the end of Pompey. But not long afterwards Caesar came to Egypt, and found it filled with this great deed of abomination. From the man who brought him Pompey's head he turned away with loathing, as from an assassin; and on receiving Pompey's seal-ring, he burst into tears; the device was a lion holding a sword in his paws.
Plutarch, Life of Pompey

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massacre_of_Verden
youtube.com/watch?v=bR7VDPUj5AE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>When Claudius' disability became evident, the relationship with his family turned sour. Antonia referred to him as a monster, and used him as a standard for stupidity. She seems to have passed her son off on his grandmother Livia for a number of years.

>Livia was a little kinder, but nevertheless often sent him short, angry letters of reproof. He was put under the care of a "former mule-driver" to keep him disciplined, under the logic that his condition was due to laziness and a lack of will-power. However, by the time he reached his teenage years his symptoms apparently waned and his family took some notice of his scholarly interests.

Emperor Claudius still turned out to be a decent emperor, despite his disabilities.

>Gentlemen, the battle against theScharnhorst has ended in victory for us. I hope that any of you who are ever called upon to lead a ship into action against an opponent many times superior, will command your ship as gallantly as theScharnhorstwas commanded today. - Admiral Bruce Fraser

>She was firing with all guns still available to her. Most of the big guns were put out. They were gradually disabled one by one. As we were steaming past at full speed a 20mm cannon was firing tracer bullets from the Scharnhorst. A 20mm cannon was like a pea-shooter compared to the other guns and it could have no part in this battle, but it was just a gesture of defiance from the sloping deck of her. And that's one of the things that remains in my memory - a futile gesture but it was a gesture of defiance right to the very end. I can picture that man on the sloping deck of the Scharnhorst. I can picture that man to this day. Eventually it took 14 ships of the Royal Navy to find her, trap her and sink her.

The sinking of the Scharnhorst

>>This was the end of Pompey. But not long afterwards Caesar came to Egypt, and found it filled with this great deed of abomination. From the man who brought him Pompey's head he turned away with loathing, as from an assassin; and on receiving Pompey's seal-ring, he burst into tears; the device was a lion holding a sword in his paws.
>implying Caesar didn't truly want Pompey (the Republic) dead

Barely a footnote in history but it's one of the things that gives me the most feels.

t. Cato

Overused but; Caesar getting stabbed. Mostly because nearly all the depictions of it are wrong and what actually happened was the most poetic; the senate had burned down some years ago during the troubles, and was being rebuilt, so when Caesar reconvened the Senate it was in the next most suitable building; Pompey's theatre. Caesar literally bleed to death with a statue of the guy looking down on him.

>both ambitious military men
>allies for nearly a decade
>literally married his daughter off to him
>both equally suffer from the death of Julia and the child
>implying they didn’t have a feeling of camaraderie and friendship
Caesar never wanted Pompey dead. He literally asked his troops to spare Pompey and his soldiers. He desired to spare Pompey, perhaps exile him in comfort for a few years then bring him back. Caesar was already especially merciful and definitely would have spared Pompey’s life.

>le epic reaction image screencap

"mama, I'm sorry"
It still stings

No romantic, but this letter Napoleon wrote after he heard of Josephine's death
>"I have not passed a day without loving you. I have not passed a night without clasping you in my arms . . . No woman was ever loved with more devotion, ardour and tenderness. .. only death could break a union formed by sympathy, love and true feeling."

>When he was only 6, his parents took him to visit an orphanaged for abandoned or otherwise orphaned children, telling him that he should never forget them and when he was older extend all his protection to unfortunates like these.

>He became very interested in the orphanage there and often asked to go visit. At the same time, he started keeping all of the pocket money he recived in a box. Louis XVI saw him counting the money and told him, "What, you are hoarding your money like a miser?" And Charles replied, "Yes father, I am being a miser, but the money for those poor lost children."

He was unironically too pure for this world.

someone throw in Franz Josef and Crown Prince Rudolf in this thread

This:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massacre_of_Verden

"General Lee... I have no division."

Wars of the Diadochi. Men who traveled into the unknown, fighting beside one another for decades under Alexander and conquering the known world reduced to squabbling over the remains of the empire for years as bitter old men, once allies and brothers.

Wasn't there one decisive battle of the wars of the diadochi where two of Alexander's former companions met face to face as old men prior to the battle? That must have been intense.

Forgot pic lol

Goodnight sweet princes

Minnesota had to try and ruin everything.

Damn

I SHED THE BLOOD OF THE SAXON MEN

I laugh until I cry

>all this royalist propaganda

Bourbons had it coming

whos who? Left commie or westie?

HE WUZ

I must not allow myself to dwell on the personal – there is no room for it here. Also it is demoralising. But I do not want to die. Not that I mind for myself. If it be that I am to go, I am ready. But the thought that I may never see you or our darling baby again turns my bowels to water.

…My one consolation is the happiness that has been ours. Also my conscience is clear that I have always tried to make life a joy for you. I know that if I go you will not want [May had an estate worth £852 by this time]. That is something.

But it is the thought that we may be cut off from each other which is so terrible and that our babe may grow up without my knowing her and without her knowing me. It is difficult to face. And I know your life without me would be a dull blank.

Yet you must never let it become wholly so, for you will be left with the greatest challenge in all the world; the upbringing of our baby. God bless that child, she is the hope of life to me.

My darling, au revoir. It may well be that you will only have to read these lines as ones of passing interest. On the other hand, they may well be my last message to you. If they are, know through all your life that I loved you and baby with all my heart and soul, that you two sweet things were just all the world to me. I pray God I may do my duty, for I know, whatever that may entail, you would not have it otherwise.”

He died the next day

>Carried away to the kastron like an animal for sacrifice by savage and cruel men, he often looked back hoping that the archpriests would intervene, but was locked up in a small room
>Tied up at four points, he had many men placed on shields on his chest and belly and the inexperienced Jew entrusted with his blinding took out his eyes with an iron causing great pain while he was groaning like a bull, pitied by nobody
>[Romanos] had the iron pierce his eyes three times until he swore to the Jew that they had been completely destroyed and stood up, his eyes covered in blood, half-dead and exhausted by his illness, a wretched sight causing tears to all present
>Rewarded thus, he renounced imperial splendour, sky-high glory, and his deeds for the empire, was dragged like a decomposing corpse on a wretched mount to the Sea of Marmara, his eyes gouged out, his head and face swollen and infested with worms
>[He] lived in great pain for a few more days, already exuding the stench of death, died and was buried at great cost by his wife the former empress Eudokia on the summit of the island of Prote where he had founded a monastery
>About to be blinded, he reminded the bishops of Chalcedon, Herakleia and Koloneia at Kotyaion of their oath following their agreement and of God's wrath, but although eager, they were unable to help

Reading Attaleiates as a 17 year old Byzaboo was excrutiating, but it also reasserted my confidence in their superiority as a civilisation. Italians, Franks, Arabs, Turks, etc. never produced such a reflective work of narrative history.

Never has the cliche 'sickening crunch' been more apt.

Also this;

>When the island was occupied by the Greek navy, Greek soldiers were sent to the villages and stationed themselves in the public squares.
>Some of the children ran to see what these Greek soldiers, these Hellenes, looked like. "What are you looking at?" one of them asked. "At Hellenes," we replied. "Are you not Hellenes yourselves," he retorted.
>"No, we are Romans."

Left is commie (you can tell by the uniform and the PPSh on his back), he's helping the boy, that had been seperated from his family when the wall went up in 1961, across the border.

feelsbadman

so did the boy ever get over the wall or no? Is there any more story behind it?

>facts are propaganda because MUH REVOLUTION

Aww, delusions

I wish I could go back to a time when I thought they all died from relatively quick gunshots to the head and not the 20+ minute brutal horror show that awaited the daughters and Alexei.

>"General Lee let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees."

What did he see lads?

It's not quite clear, only source I can find says the boy was visiting East Berlin with his father, when the border was closed. The father wanted the boy to rejoin his mother in the west and sent him to the border while he stayed back. The soldier disobeyed orders and helped the boy over the wire to the west, where he was presumably reunited with his mother.
The fate of the soldier is unkown, he was probably kicked out of the border guards, since they were required to have absolute loyalty.
(pic unrelated)

Circondato a tradimento insieme ai suoi pochi uomini da forze preponderanti che gli intimavano la resa rispondeva con un netto rifiuto e fatto segno a violentissimo fuoco di armi automatiche postate agli sbocchi delle vie di accesso alla piazza si batteva con leonino furore incitando continuamente i pochi uomini di cui disponeva. Colpito una prima volta al braccio continuava a sparare con una mano sola, colpito una seconda volta ad una gamba continuava a far fuoco sino all' esaurimento delle munizioni. Nuovamente colpito cadeva falciato da una raffica al petto con il nome d'Italia sulle labbra. Fulgido esempio di eroismo, di altissimo senso dell'onore, di attaccamento al dovere e di dedizione completa alla Patria adorata.

>"With his few men remaining, betrayed and surrended by superior enemy force imposing him to surrend, Battaglio responded with absolute refuse. Fire from the roads around the square, Battaglio fought with the fury of a lion, incitating his few remaing men. Hit one time at the hand, he keep fighting with the other, hit a second time at the leg, he kept Fighting sit. Hit one last time with a storm of bullet at his chest, Battaglio died with the name of Italy in his lips. Example of Herois, Honor and attachmento to the duty and the loved motherland."

Literal traduction, not sure how it sounds

The translation is good but for the sake of our English-language friends, know that the style its written in is really emphatic since it's war news

What were Claudius' disabilities anyway? Was he autistic?

Spare not the little ones

Lenin's postscript to the State and Revolution:

>This pamphlet was written in August and September 1917. I had already drawn up the plan for the next, the seventh chapter, "The Experience of the Russian Revolutions of 1905 and 1917". Apart from the title, however, I had no time to write a single line of the chapter; I was "interrupted" by a political crisis--the eve of the October revolution of 1917. Such an "interruption" can only be welcomed; but the writing of the second part of this pamphlet ("The Experience of the Russian Revolutions of 1905 and 1917") will probably have to be put off for a long time. It is more pleasant and useful to go through the "experience of revolution" than to write about it.

Not known for sure, had a stutter for sure, he might've had cerebral palsy also.

>continually show clemency to your defeated foes
>hurr he want da man ded

For anyone who doesn't understand this one, this is Theodore Roosevelt's journal. His wife died that day.

Wasn't it both his wife and mother?

>Moments in history women will never understand

It's mostly women who are obsessed with the fate of Marie Antoinette's children tho

Every time

>Moments in history women will never understand
I dont get it
Why?

According to wikipedia he was shot by partisans during a botched prisoner transfer. I'm not sure what the bottom paragraph is supposed to be describing.

The last words of Colonel Archibald Gracie. He spent most of the sinking finding women and children to put into the boats. He ultimately survived the Titanic disaster on the overturned collapsible lifeboat B, but his health never recovered from the physical shock of the sinking and the hours spent half-submerged in freezing water. He died in December of 1912, just 8 months after the sinking. He spent his remaining months collecting correspondence with other survivors and writing a book he published on the disaster.

Gracie was one of the few survivors who openly spoke about the disadvantage that third class passengers had in getting to the lifeboats, since the majority were unable to get to the boat decks until all the lifeboats had been launched. He also criticized the British inquiry's finding that third class passengers were at no disadvantage in surviving, citing the poor emergency response of the crew in informing third class passengers about the danger and ensuring they found their way to the decks, as well as the poor treatment the crew gave the third class passengers who were able to get to the lifeboats in time.

His last words, as recorded by his family during his dying delirium:

>We must get them into the boats. We must get them all into the boats.

Because you're a woman

Soldiers, exactly at three o'clock, the enemy is to be crushed by your fierce charge, destroyed by your grenades and bayonets. The honor of Belgrade, our capital, must not be stained. Soldiers! Heroes! The supreme command has erased our regiment from its records. Our regiment has been sacrificed for the honor of Belgrade and the Fatherland. Therefore, you no longer need to worry about your lives: they no longer exist. So, forward to glory! For the King and the Fatherland! Long live the King, Long live Belgrade!

>"Are you not Hellenes yourselves?"
>"No sir, we are romans"
Fucking Romulus smiles in Elysium

Greek here, can confirm, another name we have for ourselves even to this day is Romioi, which translates as Romans

Do you still think the Ancient Greeks are your ancestors?

A CONSOLE

check the series I, Claudius. It's amazing

a true human bean

i dont get it

Pregnant Anne Frank presumably

I'm not sure how accurate this video is about the Battle, but if it is, it's genuinely one of the saddest moments in history if you ask me.
youtube.com/watch?v=bR7VDPUj5AE

cuz they aint loyal and honorable u dum dum

Are any of them? So much time has gone by and so much shit has happened in Greece since

Is there any evidence they are not? I dont know any mass migration, genocide, replacement, or racemixing in their history

Their intergration to the Roman Empire probably fucked them up. There is no consensus, but if you look at current genetic studies, modern Italians are almost identical to modern Greeks more than Slavs or Turks.

It was Crassus' own fault, and his men paid for it.

why is california black?

What's this from?

OF REM

yes

WOODROW GET OUT

The aristocrats deserved it but the royals didn't.

>tfw alexander couldn't enslave the arabs

General Polk told me an affecting story of a poor widow in humble circumstances, whose three sons had fallen in battle, one after the other, until she had only one left, a boy of sixteen. So distressing was her case that General Polk went himself to comfort her. She looked steadily at him, and replied to his condolences by the sentence, "As soon as I can get a few things together, General, you shall have Harry, too." The tears came into General Polk's eyes as he related this episode, which he ended by saying, "How can you subdue such a nation as this?"

>tfw Mao couldn't enslave the Mongolians

Do you see how stupid you sound now?

no, because by the time of mao there already was the mongolian empire

do you know if Harry made it user?

The entirety of Pu Yi's life. The movie doesn't make it justice.

>even fucking Chairman Mao of all people spared the former emperor of his country

HOW WILL SOVIETBOOS EVER RECOVER?!?!?!

>tfw your gggg grandfather survived pickets charge

13 Now before the feast of the passover, when Jesus knew that his hour was come that he should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved his own which were in the world, he loved them unto the end.

2 And supper being ended, the devil having now put into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, to betray him;

3 Jesus knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he was come from God, and went to God;

4 He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself.

5 After that he poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded.

6 Then cometh he to Simon Peter: and Peter saith unto him, Lord, dost thou wash my feet?

7 Jesus answered and said unto him, What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter.

8 Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me.

9 Simon Peter saith unto him, Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head.

10 Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all.

11 For he knew who should betray him; therefore said he, Ye are not all clean.

12 So after he had washed their feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you?

13 Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am.

14 If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet.

15 For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.

16 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.

17 If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.

18 I speak not of you all: I know whom I have chosen: but that the scripture may be fulfilled, He that eateth bread with me hath lifted up his heel against me.

19 Now I tell you before it come, that, when it is come to pass, ye may believe that I am he.

20 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me; and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.

21 When Jesus had thus said, he was troubled in spirit, and testified, and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me.

22 Then the disciples looked one on another, doubting of whom he spake.

23 Now there was leaning on Jesus' bosom one of his disciples, whom Jesus loved.

24 Simon Peter therefore beckoned to him, that he should ask who it should be of whom he spake.

25 He then lying on Jesus' breast saith unto him, Lord, who is it?

26 Jesus answered, He it is, to whom I shall give a sop, when I have dipped it. And when he had dipped the sop, he gave it to Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon.

27 And after the sop Satan entered into him. Then said Jesus unto him, That thou doest, do quickly.

28 Now no man at the table knew for what intent he spake this unto him.

29 For some of them thought, because Judas had the bag, that Jesus had said unto him, Buy those things that we have need of against the feast; or, that he should give something to the poor.

30 He then having received the sop went immediately out: and it was night.

31 Therefore, when he was gone out, Jesus said, Now is the Son of man glorified, and God is glorified in him.

32 If God be glorified in him, God shall also glorify him in himself, and shall straightway glorify him.

33 Little children, yet a little while I am with you. Ye shall seek me: and as I said unto the Jews, Whither I go, ye cannot come; so now I say to you.

34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

36 Simon Peter said unto him, Lord, whither goest thou? Jesus answered him, Whither I go, thou canst not follow me now; but thou shalt follow me afterwards.

37 Peter said unto him, Lord, why cannot I follow thee now? I will lay down my life for thy sake.

38 Jesus answered him, Wilt thou lay down thy life for my sake? Verily, verily, I say unto thee, The cock shall not crow, till thou hast denied me thrice.

>Soldiers, when I give the command to fire, fire straight at my heart. Wait for the order. It will be my last to you. I protest against my condemnation. I have fought a hundred battles for France, and not one against her ... Soldiers, fire!

A quote from his book, describing the noise of the dying people in the water. Mind you, he was in the midst of all those horrible noises, and not tucked into a lifeboat a distance away.

>[They were] the most horrible sounds ever heard. The agonizing cries of death from over a thousand throats, the wails and groans of the suffering, the shrieks of the terror-stricken and the awful gaspings for breath of those in the last throes of drowning, none of us will ever forget to our dying day

Hitler killed himself. He was fighting to save Europe and he died. ;(

No evidence suggests he died in Berlin. They skeletal remains they found was of someone else. To this day nobody knows for sure where he ended up, but most think he just went to Argentina like a lot of Germans did.

ikr, it should be depicted as brown.

Yeah it's not like there were a bunch of Greeks on south Italy or anything