HYW knight armour

Ok this picture supposedly depicts a HYW English knight, although I doubt it's authenticity. However what intrigued me was the helmet design which closely resembles that of helmets on heraldic designs with the leaf-lile apendages sprouting out from the back like a plume.
I was just wondering if there are actual knight helmets that look like this and if they were ever used in the HYW as shown in the image.

Other urls found in this thread:

effigiesandbrasses.com/media/effigiesandbrasses.com/original/johann_von_linden_s382_r6162.jpg
previous.bildindex.de/bilder/mi08956a04a.jpg
effigiesandbrasses.com/media/effigiesandbrasses.com/original/georgs_markgraf_meissen_s280_r5321.jpg
effigiesandbrasses.com/media/effigiesandbrasses.com/original/bartolomeo_carafa_s168_r4143.jpg
i.pinimg.com/736x/10/8c/1c/108c1cf1f6b0794ae348f0e711a3914e.jpg
effigiesandbrasses.com/media/effigiesandbrasses.com/original/johann_iii_von_rappoltstein_s235_r5140.jpg
effigiesandbrasses.com/media/effigiesandbrasses.com/original/william_marney_s83_r5891.jpg
youtu.be/rM3PPzhCwPA
youtube.com/channel/UCDel2Bxg6LBT2zEaXJdjovw
manuscriptminiatures.com/media/manuscriptminiatures.com/original/99-3.jpg
manuscriptminiatures.com/media/manuscriptminiatures.com/original/21-5.jpg
manuscriptminiatures.com/media/manuscriptminiatures.com/original/1398-2.jpg
manuscriptminiatures.com/media/manuscriptminiatures.com/original/129-9.jpg
i.imgur.com/UCPkSKm.jpg
i.imgur.com/tZSCx9B.jpg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Bump

Bumperoonie

Great helmets stopped being used in the field somewhere in the second half of the 14th century in favor of visored bascinets. They were still used in jousts until they eventually got replaced by the frogmouth helmet.
The knight in your image is the Eward of Woostock aka The" Black Prince".
Pic related are his funeral achievements including the helm in your image.

Oh that's the black prince? A fine set of armour for a fine warrior

>Ok this picture supposedly depicts a HYW English knight, although I doubt it's authenticity
>However what intrigued me was the helmet design which closely resembles that of helmets on heraldic designs with the leaf-lile apendages sprouting out from the back like a plume.
your the image is depicting Edward the Black Prince and the helmet is based on the one from his funerary achievements,
>I was just wondering if there are actual knight helmets that look like this and if they were ever used in the HYW as shown in the image.
great helms started appearing in the early mid 13th and would stay popular all the way through the major part of 14th century, by the late 14th they start to lose popularity in the field and begin to mutate into the frogmouth helm wich was made for jousting

wasted my time typing this

So his armour was black?

also the plumes on the back are a thing

Well at least the gauntlets are fully visible in your image. Probably the most impressive part of the funerary achievements considering it's one of only two pairs of 14th century gauntlets with the fingers still intact.

Good heavens that is most majestic indeed.

Anyone got anymore HYW knight pics

>So his armour was black?
i dont know of his armour was black, i do know that there are many ways of making an armour black, you can paint, cover in colored textile or leather, or use thermal bluing to achieve a very dark color on a polished surface, in the time that he was alive coat of plates were the main form of torso protection, so it is possible that he had one with a black covering or maybe his arm/leg harness were blued to a black color or it was an black a garment like in pic, we can only speculate

It was all going so wellfor the English but it all went tits up when Henry V died

they knew how to look good in armour, it pisses me of when some people says that real armour should look, rusty and with ragged dirty cloth just like his darksouls

Anyone got french knight pics?

Also a question: The knight next to the black prince appears to be wearing the coat of arms for scotland. I thought the scots sided with the French?

Scotland is yellow with a red lion.

Bump for more pics

> although I doubt it's authenticity.

Seems pretty good to me.

> I was just wondering if there are actual knight helmets that look like this and if they were ever used in the HYW as shown in the image.

Why yes, of course, a fuckload of evidence of decorated greathelms exist on effigies;

effigiesandbrasses.com/media/effigiesandbrasses.com/original/johann_von_linden_s382_r6162.jpg

previous.bildindex.de/bilder/mi08956a04a.jpg

effigiesandbrasses.com/media/effigiesandbrasses.com/original/georgs_markgraf_meissen_s280_r5321.jpg

effigiesandbrasses.com/media/effigiesandbrasses.com/original/bartolomeo_carafa_s168_r4143.jpg

i.pinimg.com/736x/10/8c/1c/108c1cf1f6b0794ae348f0e711a3914e.jpg

effigiesandbrasses.com/media/effigiesandbrasses.com/original/johann_iii_von_rappoltstein_s235_r5140.jpg
effigiesandbrasses.com/media/effigiesandbrasses.com/original/william_marney_s83_r5891.jpg

Yeah the OP was answered and helmet mantling looks fucking awesome. I'd just like to see more pictures

Another question:
What sort of design is that of the helmet's plume/mantling? It looks like acanthus leaves but I'm not sure

why has nobody mentinod the cowboy hat
not only was he the flower of anglia's chivalry, he was also the progenitor of the cowboy asthetic

Bump to answer this question, I'm really curious to know

The one in the pic is an Azure A Lion Rampant Argent, but couldnt find any english noble with this heraldic arms.
Also strange that the knight seems to have the same rank as the Black Prince in this pic (which is from Poitiers I think)

How did you deduce equivalence in rank?

A replica of that helmet was made for the Wallace Collection not too long ago. Here's a video of it. It's in two parts, but in this one you get a better view of the plume. It just seems triangular to me, but I don't recall if they explaim what went into the choice for the shape of it.
youtu.be/rM3PPzhCwPA

I had a quick look at the video and I'm lead to believe the plume in the picture is a fanciful depiction of the result of damage and tattering to the plume. It looks similar to the helmet in the video (Henry V's) but the design is different for the plume

He is directly beside him and has a exquisite, detailed armour and helmet (in contrast to the knights behind him), and lions in heraldry are usually reserved for royal ranks, so he should be at least a sub-commander.

There were no other high-ranked nobles besides the Black Prince at Poitiers (because at that time it was just the secondary english army)

Did they actually wear all those decorations into battle? I always assumed that kind of stuff was only for tournaments and ceremonies.

I too would like to know. It would surely be a sight to see though if he rode to battle like that

You were supposed to recognize your opponent and capture him to get a ransom, so at least you need to have your arms on your shield and surcoat.
Probably the elaborate helmet is fictional, but the rest likely

Actually the helmet is real, although wearing it into battle is another question. However real helmets did have mantling and it did serve a practical purpose as a means to absorb some of the impact of sword blows

I was under the impression that it was for jousting. The video calls it a jousting helm.

That is the Duke of Gascony.

>tfw ywn fall fighting dozens of foes still clutching the oriflamme in death

So both the French and English wear fleur-de-lis patterns? I mean I can see that the English also have gold lions but wouldn't it be confusing in the heat of battle?

youtube.com/channel/UCDel2Bxg6LBT2zEaXJdjovw

Well if you are claiming to the king of England and France you're going to wear French colors. Confusion happens all the time in battle though so I'm sure it might have. I think it was the battle of Barnet during the War of the Roses there was friendly fire because of a mix up between a star and the sun on a banner on the smokey field.

England claimed the French throne so they displayed their claim to it on heraldic designs.

> Did they actually wear all those decorations into battle?

> Probably the elaborate helmet is fictional

> Actually the helmet is real, although wearing it into battle is another question.

It was worn into battle but by very few high ranking peeps and commanders;

manuscriptminiatures.com/media/manuscriptminiatures.com/original/99-3.jpg

basically everyone else in the soldiery would not practice this.

Same goes for mock battles;

manuscriptminiatures.com/media/manuscriptminiatures.com/original/21-5.jpg

Though, later on more rigid constructions were replaced by fluffy stuff, and fluffy stuff did become popular through the 15th and the 16th century;

manuscriptminiatures.com/media/manuscriptminiatures.com/original/1398-2.jpg

manuscriptminiatures.com/media/manuscriptminiatures.com/original/129-9.jpg

i.imgur.com/UCPkSKm.jpg

i.imgur.com/tZSCx9B.jpg

I understand the symbolism but still

It probably wouldn't be all that bad unless you were fighting in the dark.

the guys wearing the fleur-de-lis patterns weren't in the thick of the fight, so it wouldn't be that confusing... and when they were, the brightness of the gold lions was enough

Anyone know a good company or maker of bascinets?