Is it ture?

Is it ture?

pretty much.

Maybe

I would imagine if you walked into a room and knew you were better than everyone at whatever you were there for, you would feel confident

Would you consider confident all these fedora-wearers who think they deserve 10/10 model, because they're nice (aka better than others in their minds)?

I think the quote mistakes thinking for explicitly trying to convince everyone else.

>confidence isn't thinking you're better
>fedora-wearers think they're better
are you like seven or did the education system fail that fucking badly?

He's supporting the statement in the OP pic you dumbass. The sentence makes perfect sense.

No, that is what being unaware is. Like a woman.

No.
You should compare yourself to others, it's how you recognise what you need to improve.
Is thinking your better than everyone else confidence, possibly, but the wrong type. Sure inner-conviction is good but you need to be able to back it up.

confidence is walking into a room and being taller than every other man

I kind of disagree. Fedora-wearers might pretend that they're confident, and might even be confident in their intelligence, but they act awkward and abnormal in public, which is probably not due to confidence.

I'd say it's a multifaceted issue, and that picture-quote is just a meme.

False. Women are hyperaware of hierarchy and hyper-concerned with status and totem-pole climbing in ways that even the most anxious man could scarcely imagine.

The American Psycho business card monologue is basically a totally typical part of the average woman's morning when they enter their workplace/classroom/whatever. They're fucking nuts senpai.

Phrases like that created a full generation of obnoxious faggot that think they are the best the world can offer and demand attention like the little special snowflakes they are.

millennials are delusional as fuck

t. millennial

Confidence is when you know you can fail and not look like a tard

>they act awkward and abnormal in public

No. Comparing yourself to people and still feeling good about yourself in spite of those comparisons is one part of confidence.

Confidence is obviously perceived in light of the society it exists in. It's not a universal quality.

Agree. A confident man is a man who compares himself to his own standards and meets or exceeds them. He cares much less for the standards of others.

The man might be a total loser by the general standards of his peers but if he is truly sure that he's met his personal standards then he's going to be truly confident.

If you base your self worth on the standards of other people you will never be truly confident. It's not possible. You might agree with the standards of others but it's not necessary.

The thing is guys trying to fake confidence by lying to themselves that they're happy with their personal standards when actually they're really concerned with the opinion of everyone else.

If you lie to yourself and say 'I'm good how I am' you're still not confident and people can tell because it will manifest itself in many ways.

A guy can be a fat, ugly, stinky piece of shit but if those are genuinely standards that he is content with he can be the most confident mother fucker in the world and it will make it considerably more attractive than his appearance should allow.
This is why an average looking guy who is truly confident is much more attractive than he should be.

All of you obsessing about physique, hair, aesthetics... You will truly never be confident with this approach I promise you. You will always exhibit insecurity. You will always worry about the opinion of others. You will never be as attractive as you really can be never mind as happy as you could be.

Having high personal standards but truly not giving a shit about how others perceive you is the way to go.

Confidence is not relying on motivational infographics and quotes to provide your life with meaning and understanding.

If you have love in your heart no one will rise above you.

Just be yourself . That is the ultimate confidence.

Are you retarded? I am not memeing, I am seriously worried about you.

right on the money.

truly confident people have nothing to prove or have to tear others down.

This 100 times.
Doing molly made me see this and it really changed me. There is no undoing this, and I have never been as confident as I am now. And I am happy.

Confidence is not needing the approval of others to feel calm and at peace with yourself.
It's got nothing to do with comparing yourself to others, if anything confidence depends on the lack of comparing yourself to others.

And with God in your heart, you'll kneel before none but the King of Kings.

You only sacrificed your ability to form sentences.

> (you)
> having to pretend to be a second person after being BTFD

Yeah it's true but it kinda unreachable for me at the moment: i feel like my default state is too ungrounded and borderline autistic. I'm okay with myself but I'm not okay with sharing myself with many other people.

So now that I think about it I don't believe that OP's quote is true: you have to always compare yourself to the average of your surrounding in order to seem self-aware and socially attuned which are considered high quality traits.

But then again the secret may be in knowing but not telling, so confidence goes like this: you are aware of your surroundings and empathise with people because you are a decent human being but you won't really care if they like you for yourself or not and yet you will still put out effort to be on the same level with others.

I feel like this is the reasoning behind the phrase but it can be misinterpreted as being a sociopath and not caring about people around you (at least this is what I first thought after looking at the picture).

>Call someone dumb for a discrepancy caused by your own awful reading comprehension
>Get called out
>Salt

>be yourself
>don't fit in with anyone
>not even the losers
Bullshit

It's walking in and not having to compare yourself because you know subconsciously that you're better than them.

You're so much better that you don't need to even compare.

>be homeless
>walk into room
>bunch of people there, all staring at me and judging me for my looks, behavior, attire and so on
>i'm so far down on the societal ladder i can't even compare myself to these people

do i win?

this guys gets it

Yes.

Hvhvvh

I'd let you sleep in my house, brother.

This.
That business card scene was burnt into my mind by Veeky Forums, but i see it everywhere now.

At our Christmas party, one of our directors wives had the same dress as one of our interns was wearing..... That business card scene came to mind.

Shit was interesting... Awkward but interesting

>Diogenes
>no plucked chicken in image

Pathetic.

Why do you think a great many successful people are sociopaths? It's basically extreme confidence.

The difference is being able to empathise and to care about the feelings of others but not base your self-worth on their opinions of you.

Prove my statement wrong d:^]

>If you walk into a room and know you're better than everyone, you're in the wrong room, and need to fix your shitty attitude
FTFY

But what is 'better' than? Standards are entirely personal and totally subjective.

What if I think being better than everyone in the room is being able to press >100kg and being pro at CS:GO?
I walk into that room with extremely high confidence because, according to my standards, I'm the best in the room.

So you're right but it's not about competing with everyone else on their terms it's about being better than them on your own terms.
The key is do you really believe it?

>Confidence: a feeling of self-assurance arising from one's appreciation of one's own abilities or qualities.

This pic is just a shitty pseudo-intellectual quote. If you walk into a room of people, assuming you still have basic sensory function, you are going to make comparisons. Even if you don't consciously "size someone up", on some level your brain is making comparisons with the environment around you. Continuing to recognize your positive self-value and abilities even after these comparisons is confidence.

And yes, you can be humble and still be confident (ie. you don't have to think you're the best in the room). This isn't a black and white issue.

Confidence is like being a doggo.

>Is it true?
Yes. The very act of comparing yourself to someone else, even if no one else knows you're doing it, is a sign of the polar opposite of confidence (e.g., insecurity). That is why the entire concept of 'becoming alpha' is bullshit, and that you either ARE or your ARE NOT.

Hahaha this made me laugh out loud :D
Great picture!

>fix your shitty attitude
why are those who fail so upset at the concept of those who excel taking pride in their efforts?

>Standards are entirely personal and totally subjective.
Not really. Modern standards are simply, loosely usually, based on rules surrounding evolutionary beneficial actions/thought patterns. An example being fear of the dark; if you weren't cautious during nighttime you significantly increased your chances of falling pray to some predator. This would eventually form into fear of strange creatures under your bed and in dark closets. Thus leading for the standard practice of accepting a childs contemporary irrational fear of the dark.

> What if I think being better than everyone in the room is being able to press >100kg and being pro at CS:GO?
Because the collective of humanity generally doesn't conform to this same standard and unless you are walking among those of similar belief, i.e. a CS:GO lan party or fitness expo, you wouldn't either. Now if you did hold everyone in general public to these standards, which I would assume you excel in, you'd be some kind of narcissus, delusional, disturbed individual.

>according to my standards, I'm the best in the room.
Again standards aren't necessarily subjective. They likely are based on some objective evolutionary factor.

>The key is do you really believe it?
If you're sane than they'll believe it as well as it will likely be true. For example
>extremely good looks
or
>extremely wealthy
or
>extremely high status
or something of a similar vein

tl;dr I was bored and wasted my time writing this.

Meow

I can edit html too

It's actually both. But confidence is also knowing yourself and accepting yourself.

This is the best post in this thread.

There's no joke you're missing, the thread is just that bad.

Yes you did because you are just maturbating with words here. Notice how weak your arguments seem when you try and provide examples. Frantic activity in the face of impotence. The world is a lot more complex than you think

i dont get it when i walk into a room all i think about is my only insecurity which is a birth defect, but i dont compare myself to others, you cant tell me that is confidence

Yeah

No, that's arrogance you're thinking of.

That's not now burden of proof works.
Thou shalt not commit logical fallacies.
>:^)

Thats actually funny and cool advice

Arrogance if when you think you are better, but you are not.
When you think you are better and actually are it is cofidence.

You have to be 18 or older to post.

You know who also never compares him self to anyone? Autists and the mentally retarded. Also rocks.

>"hey look at me guys, i'm a special snowflake"

Nice circular logic there faggot

>This is what confidence is and everyone who disagrees with me simply does not have/understand it

>word meanings are cospiracy circular logic
>autistic screeching

no, confidence is walking into the room knowing your shit and did your study before hands
its like deadlift

But a person's confidence is not dependant on other people accepting or validating it.

Confidence does not have to warranted to be real. It's called over-confidence.
The quote suggests that a person who doesn't give a shit about his standing relative to others is truly confident. I agree. In his mind he is truly confident. That confidence may not be warranted by the collective standards of his peers but that's irrelevant to the discussion. The point is that the man is still truly confident, if potentially a little deluded.

I say again that if you meet your own personal standards you will always be truly confident. Whether or not that confidence is warranted isn't relevant.

That's completely wrong. You can be confident and be 'worse' than everyone in the room. Being better than everyone is not a condition of being confident.
Arrogance is holding yourself up as better than everyone whether you actually are or not. It's just that unwarranted arrogance usually doesn't last long because someone will put you in your place.

Confidence does not require any validation to exist as a state of mind. The least talented, ugliest loser can be a confident person and the very best in the world can be insecure.

Confidence comes entirely from within and requires no validation from external sources.

noits onst both is shit 1 is normie reddit tier equality faggotry the other is neurotic
confidence is being aware of your strenght weaknesses and seeing the same on others
not putting others down but trying to improve and learn from people that are better in some things

>Arrogance is holding yourself up as better than everyone whether you actually are or not.
this is where you are wrong

:
Definition of arrogance
: an attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptions

>presumptuous claims or assumptions

a LYOT of people tell me I do have a presence when I walk in a room, I do have that intimidation factor

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

>thinking that your standarts are ultimate
^totally not arrogance

>comparing yourself to people with better and consistently improving
^insecure beta male

This is good as long as you are not a douche

our boy hemingway

>an attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner OR
>OR

So you can be better than everyone and your overbearing attitude of superiority is arrogance or you can be worse and still have that overbearing attitude of superiority and thus be arrogant.

Making presumptuous claims or assumptions is just another facet of arrogance. It's not a necessity hence 'OR'.

In fact it was arrogant of you to make the presumptuous claim/assumption that you know what the fuck you're talking about. When clearly you can't even comprehend the definition you're using. (Now I'm being arrogant).

>thinking that your standarts are ultimate

You're projecting and making assumptions and inferences from your lack of understanding. THAT is arrogance.

It's not thinking that your own standards are ultimate. You might well acknowledge that you standards are low. It doesn't matter. If they are genuinely your standards and you meet them then you will be confident.

The quote makes sense and is valid. Now if you want to talk about the merits of one person's standards vs that of another... that's a different discussion, it's irrelevant.

If a person meets his own personal standards he is confident, that's the whole point of that picture.

It's fine to compare your standards to 'better' ones that other people have just be sure to make sure that you genuinely agree with them before you make efforts to realise those standards.

A great many people spend a very long time, a lot of blood sweat and tears chasing standards that they think matter but eventually realise that they don't and never did.

People chasing money, power, status, women... Only to realise when they get those things that those standards are artificial and not actually standards that do themselves justice. Some people get those things and are happy because they are standards that do them justice.
Different folks, different strokes.

Anyway... Not really relevant. If you want to be confident, assess what your standards truly are, what you really want, who you need to be to be happy and then be that person. If you do that, or are making gains towards that standard, you will become much more confident.

>The American Psycho business card monologue is basically a totally typical part of the average woman's morning when they enter their workplace/classroom/whatever.
...I don't get it, did I watch the wrong video or something?

I'm sorry, I though we were talking about "thinking" here. That is what is in OPs post anyway. I'd rather be arrogant than dumb as shit, mate.

>Now if you want to talk about the merits of one person's standards vs that of another... that's a different discussion, it's irrelevant.
>A great many people spend a very long time, a lot of blood sweat and tears chasing standards that they think matter but eventually realise that they don't and never did.

Now, is it irrelevant or are we going to talk about it?

>If a person meets his own personal standards he is confident, that's the whole point of that picture.
This is why a everyone is reatarded, including 90% of imbeciles.
Lets have shit standarts so we are cofident everywhere and never improve.

>This is why a everyone is reatarded, including 90% of imbeciles.

Woah I fucked this up real bad. What I meant to write was:
This is why everyone is cofident, including 90% of imbeciles.

is it... could it be... the man... the myth....... the algorithm....... our boy h-h-HEMINGWAY????

Once you feel secure with who you are and truly happy with your life, you do not compare yourself to others in your head. You cant mentally stay in highschool forever.

When everything is well with yourself, you wish well upon others. Having the NEED to feel superior stems from a sense of inferiority. This becomes more clear as you grow up, letting go of the egocontest is nearly impossible in your teens and early 20´s. You will gradually begin to despise and cringe over your buddies bragging about their onenighters. Go to a dinnerparty in your 40´s and tell me how many accomplished men is having a verbal pissingcontest. That kind of thinking fades.

Even if you are a mediocre guy, you can still be truly satisfied with your life and it will show in the way you think and behave. Looking at myself and all the near friends I grew up with, I can safely say that this kind of security grows with age and you will all get there. Unless you are like 5´10 or something.