/RG/ - Running General!

We need to instigate a running general thread, for runners of all ability to ask questions, advise and help each other improve through running.

>TFW first 10k run and felt great

I can't wait until spring hits, running in single degree weather is suffering

What is objectively the best season to run?

can i smoke cigarretes and run?
will i die?
like 3 or 4 a day

Got shinsplints again. Fucking hate them lads every time I up my distance or try to go faster I get them

Spring for me.

Hey, non-cardio fag here. How do I run without feeling like I'm inhaling steel dust?

doing a 15k tommorow, have not trained for it, but hopefully i can still run an okay time

What? When I run I sweat my balls off and even at 5 Celsius it feels hot.

I've known people who smoke 10+ cigarettes a day and their endurance is pretty good

Try it. But you ought to quit.

I'm not finding it too bad. First 5-10 minutes its pretty cold, but once warmed up, I kind of like the cold.

Varies from person to person. Some like the cold, some like the heat, etc.

Need to build up slowly. Don't overdo it.

C25K

Just keep a slow steady pace.

I'm talking about fahrenheit, 5 celsius is 40~ degrees and that's ok, today the low in celcius was -13

Drink 2l water half an hour before u run.

easy easy
if you feel blood start walking get you breath and keep going easy easy

Anyone use the Nike Run Club app? Looks like they do a 5k Sunday

>Build up slowly

I was c25k so I went from 2.75 miles to the 5k

>get running shoes two years ago
>they're fine
>get new ones a few months later later because why not
>they get destroyed in 8~ months, sole ripping completely off
>back to using the old shoes

I think I might change these soon, I'm starting to get lower back pain now in these shoes

What brand?

Ima try for a 7:30 pace (cross country/track runner) just havn't ran in a while cuz im lazy and its cold

Both of them are Asics, the ones that are still around are the Cumulus 16 and the ones that were destroyed were the Nimbus 17

I'm tracking my runs with my Sony Smartwatch 3. Ghostrunner to do on watch GPS, uploads to Strava when I'm home. Massively convenient.

For regular runners, how many miles have you done this week?

I was aiming for 15, have come in at 16.5!

Post 5k times
I did one in 22:47 today after practicing 24-minute ones for a week or so. 21:00 is my next goal.

39:46

Bearing in mind I went from not being able to run ten feet to doing a 5k in 8 weeks I think that's okay

About 18

I am not a fast runner. I'm on about 38minutes! I hope as I increase my distance, I'll get better stamina and will be able to run faster

22:10

Try doing HiiT once a week

I know you can play bball in nike's AF1, but can you actually run in air max 90s?
I usually only do stairmaster/bikes for cardio n i wanna start running on treadmill but i havent got a running shoe but my twin brother (huge sneakerhead) is cool letting me borrow some of the shittier tier model of air max 90s to use to run

2miles (3km) this week, cause it's fucking freezing, usually i do about 15.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

You can run in anything but I doubt air max 90s will be durable enough to last, they're built for just casual ware now and not physical activity

Training for a marathon, and while the short distances I am OK with, I'm looking further down the line when I'll be doing much longer runs and wondering what equipment I would get in place.

When should I take water with me? snacks/gels/etc on longer runs?

I feel I have a good way of working up to that distance, but nothing to guide me to actually completing it

See above. Training for a marathon. Time isn't massively important.

Only 6 miles this week because it's too cold

19:40 it was a 5k time in a 10k race where I tried to get sub 40 on 10k

I ended up having 42:32

>been running 5km for a year now
>still can't make it any further

why don't you just add like an extra quarter mile to your runs every week or something

>tfw that fresh -15 degrees Celcius run

Had a great start of the year, but it drains on the legs to run through thick snow.

I wish running wasn't part of my job so I could have more fun doing it, the most motivation I have to run on my own is like 4 miles and I know I could go further but I don't so I can spite my boss

Do you guys run in races?

I know there are people out there who participate in one race every two months or even more frequently, but I don't think they can make any real progress from race to race but I might be wrong.

Am I missing something?

Autumn in the Northeast US, but Winter is good too. Running in the cold > Running when it's hot/humid

Smokers has good lungs.. I smoke and i can run without a problem.. also helps you quit

Monday is the start of my run week, after tomorrow it will be 20

I thought of getting the Pegasus 33 how are they?

also any recommendation for waterproof or gore-tex shoes? shit sucks running in the rain with soggy shoes.

It depends on how advanced they are, what races we're talking about and how they're treating each race.

A marathon is nothing to fuck with. An experienced runner told me that you should train for a YEAR after completing a half marathon. I didn't listen and got hurt.

I personally don't like carrying water, but it's up to you. I do 7 mile loops and park my car somewhere and stash water in my trunk. Also there is a gas station along the way that I can stop at and get water.

I like the Cliff gels with some caffeine but the important thing is to try out different things and see what works for you.

I'm about 200 miles in them. They're fine but they are very soft. If your shoes get wet take out the insert and jam paper towels or newspaper inside.

I usually do like 2-3 a year. Some people have races built in their training plan (like a 10k race in the middle of a half marathon plan).

>I thought of getting the Pegasus 33 how are they?
I've been using Pegasus for some years now, a really good choice in my experience. My pegasus 30 are beaten up but the fabric/construction materials are intact. I used to run 5km in them 6 days a week for a year back when I was boxing. Now that I run more seriouly and weare 32's, don't have any complains.

>also any recommendation for waterproof or gore-tex shoes?
Well, for trail runs I use Salomon speedcross, there is a gore-tex version of them but can't comment on them.