What does Veeky Forums think about Calisthenics?

What does Veeky Forums think about Calisthenics?

Other urls found in this thread:

gymnasticbodies.com/gb-courses/foundation-series/
gymnasticbodies.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/DSC03568.jpg
workouttrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Yoga-Poses-Cat-cow-Back-Stretch-Pose.jpg
youtube.com/watch?v=CavZeuCS56g
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Guess what: I'm a woman

I've been using Veeky Forums for 8 years now. I'm an MIS and Marketing major, top of my class. I have an IQ of 146. I'm only a sophomore and have had 7 internships. I'm a member of the MENSA society. I'm voting Trump. I'm not a feminist, however, I'm probably more intelligent than most of you in this thread.

Wether you like it or not, females are comperable. I'm not here to steal your money. I'll probably make more than you. I'm not going to make you a sandwhich, I'll have my personal chef do it. The ironic thing is my father married for looks and I'm actually attractive as well. Cocky? Yes. Ashamed? No.

I won't show you my tits, I'll be your CEO one day

Pasta has no point if you just fling it everywhere willy-nilly.

Why do you even try?

You responded, didn't you?

No one that does bodyweight exercises wears shorts that don't reach passed they're knees

You can supplement the lack of legs with some form of weighted squats though.

It's awesome.

We used to have regular bodyweight general threads, a lot of focus on Olympic gymnastic strength training iirc. I haven't been on this board in a while so I don't know how common they are now, you could even try /asp/ for them. Progress is slow as fuck, especially compared to lifting. You have to go slow because muh tendons have to be strong as well or you'll visit snapcity very quickly. Legs will mostly likely lack because there's only so many squat variations. Personally, I'm looking to create a hybrid routine

>Progress is slow as fuck, especially compared to lifting.

In terms of what? Strength gains or aesthetically/changing the way your body looks?

I think that they're useful, but they can't be used to replace lower body (and to a much lesser extent upper body) weight training.
Do your compounds then your calisthenics then your isolations kids

False. Run track and you'll see official uniforms are still stuck in gay 80s mode.
Also, I have monstrous quads from running stairs, hills, and 400 m sprints.

a good addition to lifting.

it is bad for mass unless you devote a LOT of time and effort to it. it isn't great for real world strength either, again unless you spend a lot of time and effort on it.

doing it by itself is fairly pointless. its best used as supplementary work in conjunction with lifting.

In before powerlifters say that it's a good supplement to strength training rather then the opposite.
Too late.

tell me one single advantage that calisthenics provides that liftig doesn't, besides the lack of required gym access.

this gotta be good.

I'd say both strength and aesthetics. Progressively overloading is simply adding weight to a lift, in calisthenics it usually comes as a variation to an exercise. Like chin ups to pull ups to wide grip pulls up etc until you start doing shit like muscle ups

I was a bit impatient when I was an ultra poorfag and did bodyweight stuff, ended up fucking up my left wrist for a while kek.

Lack of injury potential
Can be done by anyone at any time of any background and at any level right now
Better joint strength
It's superior to weights in every way and it's preferred by every single society on the planet for fitness.

Why would it not be a good supplement?

Well you took the best one.

That's not really what he was on about, but for most purposes bodyweight kind of runs into the issue that oly lifting does - its a very large time investment (because of the technique/mobility requirements) for the benefits. Unless your goal actually is related to bodyweight movements it's seldom more effective unless you're talking about relatively basic movements.

>fewer injuries
>joint strength

It's like you don't want to make it.

>What does Veeky Forums think about Calisthenics?
It's good for you!

>Lack of injury potential
>Can be done by anyone at any time of any background and at any level right now

nigger you serious?

the traffic in them was so slow they officially died, also /asp/ is now 'pretend sports board'

in terms of progression

if you do it for social gains, which one do you think is more plausible
>do a planche
>squat 6pl8
while in a party?

I used to lurk in /bwg/ threads, still do my routine, starting level 3 of GST today

Love calisthenics to bits. I missed the /BWG/ threads so I tried to bring them back recently but fuck all people reply in those threads. Wish more people on Veeky Forums were into it.

yep, we used to have maybe 2-5 posters in each thread

When did they really die? I was a regular on them for a while until the shitposting got bad enough that it was moved to /asp/ and I stop completely

eh, in /asp/ they died when fags took over, then some poster returned them to Veeky Forums but it died a few weeks after KA

But can you even?

>woman
>can only communicate in disjointed sentences

It's an older code sir but it checks out.

Calisthenics is faggot and manlet tier. There are no above average height athletes successful in its community, and its literally about riding a fucking pole.

Just commit and do pole dancing or give up and get your twink ass into the locker rooms at the gym.

kek

troll or autism

Autistic

Lol post MONSTROUS quads pham

Is your name Mooncookie?

>I do a lot of calisthenics but that's because the only gym available to me is planet fitness.
>I also have freeweights which I use very often
>I do roughly 500-600 push-ups a night on my work night
I have an odd work schedule and an odd 6 day split as well but I do more calisthenics than anything else.

WTF post pics

>do roughly 500-600 push-ups a night on my work night
pics naow

bs

>show tits
>to Veeky Forums of all places
You just can't make this shit up!

I think this is good place to ask.I'm doing starting bodyweight program because of 2 reasons;

1- I had a crippling (I was unable to walk) knee problem which doctor classified as stress fracture. After being stuck in bed for a month I couldn't afford lifting hard and injuring myself.

2- 6 years(4 undergrad, 2 grad) of very sedentary life. I'm under impression I should stick to the bw for at least 6 months before I start lifting.

Are these two reasons good for bw?I also can get very autistic about exercising and can push myself way too much.

>I'm under impression I should stick to the bw for at least 6 months before I start lifting.
That doesn't make any sense. As long as you're careful, there's nothing stopping you from lifting.

Good for upper, back and core STRENGTH
Subpar for everything else

Everything but legs basically. But if size is all your after alot of hill sprints and shit can give you ok legs, not great, but better than doing no leg work at all I guess.

Yes.
Bodyweight will get you really far and is ideal for someone who's been sedentary for a while and has physical issues like yours.

As you get stronger and gain more endurance you'll come to understand your body better and will be able to go into anything you want physically.
Continue doing bodyweight, lifting for strength, lifting for mass, plyo, running, any athletic endeavor you want.

A good base of bodyweight built strength and or basic athleticism is where every athlete, martial artist, soldier, bodybuilder/powerlifter and chad has started.

I've been training with bw only for roughly 3 years, gained aprox 14kg of muscle the first year and maybe 2-3kg the 2nd, almost nothing the third, reached 1000 pushups a day, 400 pullups and 1000 squats, but even though i switched to a progression-based routine for "strenght" i haven't been able to gain muscle, just leaned down a bit and added vascularity. I reached the point where i don't want to work out /skip days bc its boring but since i live in 3rd world country gym are expensive/far away and don't have any of the fancy stuff to perform strength routines. I wish i had something heavy to pick up, building a concrete 80kg barbell atm though.

1/2 then?
Enough for me.
Though I'm lamenting the fact that I'm postponing the process of learning the correct barbell form desu.

Thanks.

I'm this guy.
If I start up /BWG/ again will any of you dudes post? I don't wanna keep posting threads that stay empty.

Yes.

I can share my experience and training for the planche and one arm chin up.

I am noob so I can bump with lame questions

I always post something when i see a bwg but the problem is Veeky Forums is not that frequented and most of the people in here only like lifting weights and look down on calisthenics

interested in learning about rings. they have 'em at my climbing gym and i love fucking around with them. dips feel sooooooo much better on them

>tfw first ring muscle up

Calisthenics is amazing, and I think it's a FAR better starting routine for DYEL skeletons than SS.

What's the point of lifting weights if you can't even lift yourself?

If you can't do ten pull-ups you are not fit.

What about dyel fatties?

DYEL skeletons lack strength but also mass, which means that it's easier for them to be able to gain the strength to do chin-ups/rows in a shorter amount of time, with pullups and bar dips following soon after.

Fatties lack strength but are also heavy, so doing calisthenics to start with is out of the question. I dunno, I don't have experience with being fat, maybe stick with SS

i think that guy is on steroids.

Honestly, there barstars and street calisthenics community is full of juicers.

They're just not obvious about it because they aren't huge.
I don't like how they act like it's some beautiful art when all they do is a few muscle ups and spin around the bars. Basic shit that most novices could do. Normies lose their minds and it's frustrating to see something so underwhelming being praised.

Breakdancing is the most aesthetic progression of calisthenics that isn't done in the Olympics (although pommel is close). That is some neat shit

>DYEL skeletons lack strength but also mass, which means that it's easier for them to be able to gain the strength to do chin-ups/rows in a shorter amount of time, with pullups and bar dips following soon after.
This means they'll be able to do more advanced movements and gain greater strength easily.
If they want to move on to lifting after that then they should.

>Fatties lack strength but are also heavy, so doing calisthenics to start with is out of the question. I dunno, I don't have experience with being fat, maybe stick with SS
Fatties who master even basic calisthenics will become ridiculously strong yolked and just melt off fat.

im no doctor but wouldnt calisthenics be hell on your joints for fatties? like how you shouldnt run if your fat cause m-muh knees

I always try to post, but then I'm like last poster before thread dies

No.
If that were the case they'd have fucked joints from simply walking.

Besides, most overweight people will not have the sheer strength endurance and anerobic capacity to do high enough reps to where that will be an actual issue.

It's nice but you can only make such gains with it, weightlifting will alwaysb e superior if that's the goal.
best of both worlds is to combine both

I want to learn the dragon flag and other shit but got no clue how

weightlifting will be superior to bw if you want to weightlift

you can always add weight to your bw routine to progress further

dragon flag, I believe is mainly back, abs, forearms and biceps, I would advise to master basic gymnastic moves, before moving on to dragon flags and such

I now but weightlifting is more efficient to build muscle, not trying to diss bw or anything since its pretty superior to lifting in other aspects.

where do I start out with that? any beginner guide to calisthenic and such? Sucks that I don't have any kind of equipment so some gymnastic moves I dun goofed

I have some ab strength, I did that test from athlean-x and I did it perfectly and easily

dragon flag uses all the muscles you stated except biceps. i'm sure they contribute a bit but if you go a bit overboard with dragon flags the next day you'll be feeling sore triceps and not biceps

I'm rather skelly, I only do some rock climbing and I'm on my way to doing a proper dragon flag, it's not that hard. Gymnastics have little to do with that, just strenghten your core and practise. Also isn't the iron cross an extremely hard move?

you need biceps to keep your arm bent for balance, do you even anatomy?
to be honest I am not on that level yet, so I can not say how much biceps are worked, it's only for balance in my opinion.

>weightlifting is more efficient to build muscle
citation needed

I do BW for tendon and joint strength/health, I also drink gelatin with my tea once a week for collagen gains

>where do I start out with that?
In glorious KA days I got my hands on Foundation One PDF, around 400MBs I believe, if you have cash you can buy it gymnasticbodies.com/gb-courses/foundation-series/

for basic movements, I am focusing on straight arm strenght and bent arm strength, started level 3 yesterday (level 2 took me twice as long as it should have, due to injuries/shitty health )
the PDF is at home so I can't recall the names of exercises, I know for abs I do MANA. The reason why I like it, is because it has smooth progress (I lived 28years playing vidya, still play it though) for weak shits and it also includes mobility, as you need mobility equal to your strength for BW, which I find important in daily life.

>I don't have any kind of equipment
Same here bruh, I don't even have a bar for pull ups, I do have barbell and dumb bells with weights, so I do rows and curls (inb4 lulcurls) for my back and biceps, I realised I have no interest in ring work and such, so I'm fine with my program

>I have some ab strength
first level for abs is hollow body hold in this position gymnasticbodies.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/DSC03568.jpg
if you can do 5x60s hold you can move to next level, try it if you want, between sets you need to do 5reps of cat cow workouttrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Yoga-Poses-Cat-cow-Back-Stretch-Pose.jpg

it is, takes a few years I believe, I just post my random gymnast pics

>If that were the case they'd have fucked joints from simply walking.
>implying they don't
>implying walking = running
kek

Shit is retarded. Autistics love to circlejerk over people on fucking gear with test levels of 4000Ng/L thinking they will make the same kind of gains with natty test.

Laughing my ass off over that.

On that much fucking roids you can do whatever the fuck, fuck around with rings like a fairy, and look GREAT. You ain't gonna look like that dumbshit fucking around with bodyweight nonsense.

I just hope they only fucking waste their time for a year or two before they realize they need to fucking train with barbells

>roiding for this

Pathetic.

sorry I don't like saving gut bloated fags

Follow video related, that's the one I use.
youtube.com/watch?v=CavZeuCS56g

post them then, because i run as well (sprint, and mid distance races) and my legs get fucking leaner when im training for longer periods of time.

It's genetics, the same way as my upper body grows much faster than my lower you probably have the reverse problem tho huh?

you realize these dudes train 5+ hours a day?
.and may weightlift too?
anyways for normies with non sport jobs, weight lifting will always be vastly superior for mass/looks/health on a time invested basis

have you even tried to search for pictures of people doing body weight shit? it can always be a lifter just 'messing around' (Klokov doing handstand pushups) so you can never tell if person only does bw or not, I chose to save pics of olpympic athletes, even if they do some free weights on the side, their main 'job' is do practise the bw shit they do in olympics

>on a time invested basis
if you want to lift for a year to get gf then ye, if you plan to it whole life, then time investement vs health gains bw is superior (I repeat myself that joints and tendons is main focus for bw)

as i said biceps are obviously engaged, your whole fucking body is, but the triceps(long head) works harder because the sensation of holding the bench is basically like an isometric triceps extension. i am not a doctor or a physio but i have trained dragon flags and have passed the full lay(legs straight and squeezed together) progression standard of 5x5. and i am 83-85kilos

finally got my door bar shortened so i dont have to go out in -13 C to workout casually anymore while i walk my dogo

feels great

Calisthenics is a lot harder than weightlifting, but I find it's more fulfilling because you're working lots of muscles at once, and you feel more connected to your body

Optimally I think you should do a bit of both

>but I find it's more fulfilling because you're working lots of muscles at once
>what are deadlifts, squats, etc

>what are deadlifts, squats, etc
lower body workouts

Human flag, dragon flag, muscles ups, etc, those will you put you into full control of your own body

Deadlifts, squats, etc, those put you into control of the external world

Basically instead of learning to lift heavy objects, you're learning to lift yourself. That's why I think you should do both

das gud quote mang

/thread

I can literally roll out of bed and do them. Meanwhile you spend 30-45 minutes in total commuting and preparing to go to a gym. And you can do it naked too big plus there. Always workout naked and with a giant mirror in front of you.

that guy is insanely athletic

> not having autism
> doing a planche while in a party
pick one

> olympic athleat
> that guy is insanely athletic
> mfw

>you can just do weighted excercises and still claim to only do bodyweight excercises bro

athlete

Veeky Forums likes to shit on BW but just because they cant do basics like levers, planche, l-sit. pistols, handstand, etc.

Worked for me, women dig the look and being able to breakdance

Rap and hip hop is cancer and so are the girls who are into it.

How much pulling exercises do you do? What do you need in that regard?

you sound pretty cancerous, though

>no I am not social cancer it is you who are the cancer
t. schlomo

What did he mean by this?

bodyweight doesn't make legs stronger because legs carry your body weight all day.

>not doing 10x20 incline DB bench with2x70lbs
>not doing bulgarian split squats in the smith machine with all the pf plates
>not holding a 25lb weight between your shoes and dipping to failure

gtfo with this 600 pushup bullshit. You can get okay gains with just planet fitness shit without wasting time on pushups.

There are situations when they have to put more effort that when you go jogging

What are pistol squats

how do i make my ankles flexible?

>hundreds of pushups and pullups per training
At this point it's just cardio. It's cali equiivalent of curlbro.