Can you get fit with only barbell exercises in an apartment on an upper floor (i.e. no slamming it down) ?

Can you get fit with only barbell exercises in an apartment on an upper floor (i.e. no slamming it down) ?

Yeah

No

deadlift the bottom apartment

Also is Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength a good book to start out with? I assume so but I've seen it talked down on a few times here.

worked for me
gotta love doing cleans+front squats though, or at least pistol squats
push ups variations are fine, but your chest is going to leg until you get a proper bench.

I lost 77 pounds with dumbells and bodyweight alone. ignore any loser who says you need equipment. they're dyel betas.

yes
the only problem is that the initial program favors lower body to upper body. and that can be easily fixed.

If you slam the weights down, you're a pussy

ok,
you can go pretty far if you have a shorter bar to put the discs on for one handed moves

Yeh easily.
Your gunna need some squat stands or a power rack.
And somewhere to do pullups/dips
Then your set for the next few years.

losing weight =/= building muscle.
you can lose weight by just moving around quickly

gotta go fast

what do you deadlift and how heavy are the dumbbells you use

>lost 77 pounds
>thinks he's an authority on anything
you've accomplished what middle aged office monkeys can do sitting on their arse. you aren't qualified to advise anybody.

Same situation as you user. Dont deadlift, clean, row or anything that uses the floor as a starting point to failure (incase you drop it or black out) and you will be gold, also buy some interlocking floor pads off amazon, lay some adhesive rubber over the safeties on your rack, buy a plate tree and dont get a folding bench. Theyre noisy as fuck.

My neighbours never complain and I work nights.

Yes- it's not idea to do max effort lifts, but you should be alright.
Caloric deficit is really the only rule for losing weight. How much you move around isn't as much an issue.

Thanks fellow user, I was thinking of literally only having a barbell though no racks or bench due to space - my apartment is pretty small :(

I have never done SS but the book helped me a shit ton when it came to form for lifts and general beginner knowledge like moment arms

Hey Guys, what's going on in this thread?

Get one of these and a simple flat bench, or just a folding one, just make sure its not made like shit or noisy. You can keep it all in one space and it barely takes up any room at all.

If you have room to lie on your back and spread your arms out, you have space.

You could do like Romanian deadlifts, rows, hang cleans, power cleans, snatches w/o dropping them. Also front squats.

>set for the next few years
And then?

Just fuckin' do it brah, I live in a two story house and my sister gets annoyed as phuc when I DL and power clean but tell her to go do something else kek.

Alternatively assure you a pair of boxes/furniture the same height, a folding bench and use pads to avoid damage. If that is too much at least you could do weighted dips with some sturdy chairs and hit chest. You would have to clean for front squats and aim for high volume though.

*have a pair

Move out of shitty apartment so you can build a proper home gym or get a gym membership

If you get one of these you should also get a powertower for pullups, dips and the glorified
>hanging leg raises

Do you live in Cairns?

How would you work out your chest with no bench?

Floor press is pretty legit

Not OP, but also an apartment dweller. Anyone have any good guides for ways to get fit at home without much space?

yeah, especially with the sick range of motion he'll build his chest in no time.

kek

Yes. Bodyweight routine supplemented with weighted exercises.

dips on two chairs.

the book will literally blow your mind if you're somewhat familiar with the big compound lifts because you'll realize you've been doing them wrong all along
that said SS is the best program for beginners to gain strength, and you can't gain strength without gaining lots of muscle especially early on

as you get stronger and your technique improves you'll get stronger less fast than when you started out with, once you stop increasing weight from workout to workout you can switch to a split and make progress on a weekly basis

you're going to have to gain weight though, can't grow muscles without eating lots of calories and gaining some fat

>he slams his deadlifts
why are you only doing half of the exercise you sissy?

That's for your tri's, user.

The deeper part also works your chest, Tris do most of the work in the upper part of motion.

Yeah you can, hell you could hit ottermode with pushups, dips and pullups

I have my gym area with cage and barbells and dumbbells in my attic, with some gym mats underneath everything. Hasnt been a problem, but yea, I dont slam anything.

I got that one in the next room. It's okay, but the middle part is way too short you have to improvise and if it kills you the manufacturer probably won't pay. I lengthened the middle part by inserting a tightly fitting piece of wood

That looks dope is there a generic name for that?

get good at cleans, they can make a rack redundant as u can do frontsquat and all kinds of delt exercises this way

But how do you get the barbell down from the shoulders if it's heavy? I can clean a lot more than let gently to the ground.

>Dumbbells
>No equipment

Roman chair. They are great for dips.

Good kek

you can get fit even without any weight and retarded slamming...

>2k17
>not falling for the calisthenics meme

you'll only be able to do deadlifts at a percentage of 1rm you can set down softly

you can do presses, cleans, curls, rows etc to your hearts content

Definitely can't do cleans to your hearts content. Unless you're cool with jumping up and down a lot.

nice lift but ugly pull hehe