French

Why is french (atleast to me i am a brainlet) so different to other romance/latin-based languages?

It’s just as special as any other Latin based language

Heavy Gaulic/Celtic influence is to blame I guess. Maybe a Frenchmen could awnser your question *waits patiently*

It isn't

t. portuguese/spanish/french speaker

They underwent many pronunciation changes to make the phonology as retarded as possible

This

Written french is 50% intelligeble if your mother language is any romance one, but spoken french is a completely different animal. My mother language is portugue and i cant understand even 20% of when i hear french people speaking

Contrary to some memes, it has nothing to do with Germanic invasion. Old French is similar to other Romance languages, but Modern French is weird because it is the language of the Parisians, who are themselves a mixed people of various origin.

uh, this is wrong
parisian french is almost the same as any other language of oïl

They needed a heavy dosage of concentrated retardation in order to finally achieve the pinacle of their existance, the Autismus Maximus that was Napoleon, so they came up with a stupid language

Because french has influenced english more than the other romance languages have, so it subconsciously seems less foreign/exotic to you.

It isn't. I'm french and I can read Spanish, Portuguese and Italian with a surprisingly high level of comprehension. Talking with them is another story of course.
I assume it's like that for them too.

Bonjour, le raison que le francais est tres different que les autres langues de romance est parce que il etait du grand influence du langue Gallic.

French has more Germanic influence, more difficult orthography, less coherent noun genders

Castilian and Portuguese have a marked Arabic influence,

I don't know anything about Italian

Germanic influence.

The Frankish stress accent made the language very prone to syncope and diphthongization of vowels.

Man, you chose your words well. I can practically understand this.

>langues de romance
That's kinda true actually.

Germanic influence, they've got the same sounds as the Germans and other Germanic languages have (ö,ü,R..)

Because it's written in broken French.

German.

This. Latin and most Romance languages have like five or six vowels. French has almost fifteen. It’s probably not a coincidence that most Germanic languages also have many vowels.

Italian, Castellano, Romanian, Catalan, Portuges, Francais, are cheap peasant latin. Latin is > peasantry.

means that the reason why french is different is from other romance languages is because french is influenced by Gallic language.

Because we want you to fail at school to establish french supremacy and control the market.

We're roughly jealous of jews

How is it different? Grammatical structure is pretty much the same

go learn any romance language that's not french and try to understand a french speaker you'll see what OP means

It's so close to italian and spanish that I can understand them while only speaking a few words

>langues de romance

What makes it stand out so much that Spanish, Portugese, Italian and Romanian can be placed into a coherent group? All romance languages have their quirks which is why they arent latin anymore.

I think it may be because of the differences between regions, they each add their own thing to the spoken language while the written one remain the same

because frenchies are dumb gaulish brainlets who can't pronounce normally

A lot of people seem to designate a Celtic influence but really I think that's just because most people know fuckall about Celtic languages. Me included, but from what little I've seen Celtic has a totally different grammar, phonology, and vocabulary than French. Any influence must be really minimal.
As many have pointed out the Germanic influence is way more noticeable and as far as its orthography goes it's very similar to other romance languages. I studied Italian for a few months and when I decided to switch to French it was extremely familiar. It's really the pronunciation that's the learning curve.

French has more Natufian influence from Morocco

While the nobility was speaking latin, the people were speaking some romance

Maybe read the thread idk

English culture has more Natufian influence. Natufian longbowmen taught barbaric Anglo-Saxons how to use the bow, which resulted in the famous victory of Agincourt.

Pourtant c'est pas si différent de l'italien ou de l'espagnol les hambourgés

Irish and Welsh have retarded orthography, but when you try to talk it's not too bad. Apparently the French didn't mess up the orthography for Breton yet their own language is atrocious.

I'm Romanian and I can say I understand written French to a degree, but spoken is harder. Probably has to do with all the French loanwords into our language as well as the English-like words I tend to find in French.

For example I can understand no problem. Raison is almost identical to English reason, but different from Romanian "motiv", so that's what I meant by English helping me.

I'm Romanian, it's pretty easy to listen to Italian and Spanish but for the life of me I could never get into French.

The Gaulish people never spoke a proper latin, they used their own local versions. After the fall of the Roman Empire, each tribe found itself isolated, which furthered the mutations of the language. Then came the Francs, with their languages, and everything turned into another mess.

It makes more sense than English. Can you specify what you mean? For the most part, I think French is pretty consistent and has pretty much the same phonemes as the others. It has the same masculine and feminine word thing going on. The only thing that makes it different I guess, is sounds are more throaty and gutteral sometimes. It has quite a few irregulars and exceptions but not NEARLY as much as English. Vowel and at the end=pronounce last consonant; no vowel and style the end= don't pronounce last consonant.

>the same masculine and feminine word thing going on
It seems unreal to me that "a fork" has no gender in English...

Yeah lol. I think to them it's based on how the vowels sound. things ending with "a" or "ette"/"elle" seem to be more feminine sounding while usually things ending with consonants more masculine sounding? Or cource plenty of exceptions exist. Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong, of course.

I also find it interesting how the have gendered group pronouns they "m."(ils) and they "f." (elles) but English doesn't. Then again, English isn't really a romance language.

It's because French was uniquely administered in a top-down fashion. The descendants of Gallic Latin became the langues d'oil and d'oc, spoken in northern and southern France, respectively. Only île de France, the region surrounding modern-day Paris spoke the French precursor language. During the Capetian Dynasty, this pre-French language superceded Frankish as the language of France, and later during the reign of Louis XI it was administered officially to become the unifying language of France. Since then the langues d'oil and d'oc have been pretty much eradicated and assimilated into French. The French language has also seen administered reforms during the reign of Louis XIV and extensive changes during the revolution.

Tldr, the French language evolved independent of the vernacular and is therefore very different from other romance languages.

Both forks and spoons are men in Norwegian, at least in writing. Grammatical gender really doesn't have any consequence at all.

>Raison is almost identical to English reason, but different from Romanian "motiv"
We have the word "motivation" wich nearly mean the same thing as "raison"

It does for me, things gives off a different feel according to their gender. It seems obvious for me, as a romance speaker, that the sun is male and the moon is female, I'll associate masculine traits to the sun and feminine traits to the moon and would be rubbed off the wrong way if it was the opposite.

Sun is associate to male and moon to female in chinese culture and they have no such things

Is this what French-Norman-English would have mutated into if it kept being used in England?

Something like that, I mean.

Your language changes once you drop your weapons and start running from your enemy.

This.
Among other reforms, there was one where french went from accepting any vowel to form passé simple terminaisons to something strictly enforced, just so you could distinguish who had a formal education.

Also, not actually mattering but will anwser a lot of "just sounds weird sentiments", french is a monocorde language.

Why are French numbers so retarded?

>Heavy
nah

Or simply "motif".

It's 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
you see ?
easy

Le français n'est pas différent des autres langages latins, de quoi parlez-vous ?

>le raison

French is deliberately nonsensical in order to confuse the plebs and make the nobles feel like part of a secret club

Huh? It's actually pretty straight forward.
After 16 it's basically logic/simple math like the old fashion sayings of
7 and 10(dix sept)
8 and 10(dix huit)
9 and 10(dix neuf). Same once you get to 20 (Vingt) the phonetics for 20 is pretty wild i'll admit. But it's similar logic for most romance languages. Once you get past 60s though, you're doing multiplication and addition while you speak. It's kind of wild yet intriguing.

kek
under rated post.

reminder that 10% of france spoke french before nationalism

quatre-vingt-dix-sept 4 x 20 + 10 + 7

Modern french is a mix of many regional variations of the french, reminder that 100 years ago most people spoke french they way they learned it in their region, someone from the south would have spoken a completely different french than someone from the north

Modern french takes a bit of each, especially when it comes to vocabulary/idioms, but the language has also been a bit simplified over the centuries

>le raison
>que les autres
>langues de romance
>il etait du grand influence du langue Gallic.

jesus christ

Still better than barbaric (germanic) languages as they have latin roots

t. english speaker that has difficulty to pronounce every other language

hambourgeois*

Because 20 was used as a base for trading, so we kept it
the other variation is :

septante : 70
octante : 80
nonante : 90

I always find weird when people point out that normands weren't french because they classified themselves as different than french.
But everyone in the french kingdom did this to a degree, so if nobody was french clearly the method is flawed

Frenchfag here, about the difficulty of understanding spoken french, it seems that one reason might be lack of stress out on vowels in the words. You practically don't put a stress on any syllable except the last in the sentence, resulting in a very linear speech where it is difficult to differentiate words.

Reminder that 10% of [X] spoke [official language] before nationalism.
Nice discovery dude.

>octante : 80
not huitante

but that's what makes the language pretty

Both are correct

Germanic sounds, gallic influence, and some reforms (like how the silent letters at the end of the words were added during the 19th century).