Bosnian history

ITT post sources for history of Bosnia.

I'm kinda okay learned with the medieval era, so I'm more interested in authors and sources regarding the Ottoman era ( from 15th century until 1878 ), preferably in Serbo-Croatian or English, but I don't mind at least getting to know about other sources as well, like Turkish or Latin or German. Of course, if there are more of them regarding medieval times, they are welcome as well.

So far, I've compiled this list ( which is prevalently Serb so I want to balance it all out ):

>Vjekoslav and Nada Klaic ( CRO )
>Sima Cirkovic "Herzog Stephen and his times" ( SRB )
>Vladimir Corovic "History of Serbs" ( SRB )
>Vladimir Corovic "History of Bosnia"
>Zeljko Fajfric "History of Bosnian state" ( SRB )
>Mavro Orbini "Kingdom of Slavs" ( Ragusan )
>Cedomir Antic "History of Republika Srpska" ( SRB )

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kastrati_(tribe)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

> Cedomir Antic "History of Republika Srpska" ( SRB )

fucking kek

Oh, it was CRINGY as shit, believe me. But it actually did a good job for the Yugoslav period. Learned bunch of new stuff and it was actually the most objective part of the book.

The rest - meh.

Mauro Orbini - Kingdom of the Slavs
Book from 1601.
It tells whole different story.
There are two versions, 300 pages and 500 pages. Dont bother with first one, its not complete, communists tranlated only 300 pages, for a very specific reason.

You'd best stay away from Serbian historiography. It's plagued by nationalistic revisionism, even the top academics.

>Orbini
>Alexander was a Slav, guys

Yeah, Orbini was a pure Serb.

I read a pdf of a Croatian released version from tge late 90's. I'll keep this in mind.
Every Balkanoid historiography is filled with nationalistic myths. The thing is, Corovic and Cirkovic are far from Serbs-r-d-best retards as I've found passages with Corovic which counter ( to an extent ) the established Serb narrative when it comes to the Serbhood/Croathood of today's BiH. Cirkovic was, on the other hand, praised by Klaic ( CRO ) as the "one of tge rare truly unbiased historians".

On the other hand, this blatant disregard of Serb historiography by Boshniaks and Croats is no different from the narrative pushing hacks like Cedomir Antic or Seselj's attempts at interpertations of history. So save that kind of banter for /pol/.

>I read a pdf of a Croatian released version from tge late 90's. I'll keep this in mind.
I just checked, that version is 300 pages. First 200 pages are missing, they write about Balkans before 6th century.

Figured as much. Thanks :) I guess the first part can only be found on Latin then?

Possibly, I know Vatican banned it and communists didnt translate first critical 200 pages. There is a Russian and Serbian translation, and of course Italian.
Russian version is avaiable at archive.org.
There is no digital Serbian version, I dont know for Italian.

Luckily I can easily get my hands on a Serbian version, and I know enough Russian as well. Thanks mate.

No problem, I was blown away by that thing.
The best thing is, he quotes everything and everybody, mostly ancient historians and writers, so nobody can say that's fake.

I will kek hard if it gets to WE WUZ levels though. Then again, who knows. Maybe we wuz kangz.

Got any other sources?

That's how it starts, kek.
But, like I said, for every claim, he has 1-3 quotes.
Not really, Serbian top academics are mostly old communists, they need to die out. They strongly dissaprove every theory except that Slavs came to Balkans during 6th century. No wonder they even refuse to talk about this book.

My cousin's wife is Bosnian. Can someone tell me about the general Bosnian culture and history? Before the recent wars that is.

>all this anti serb butthurt
At least we allow historians to publish their work, as opposed to Croatian "historiography" which constitutes of Serbia being evil

True, but Corovic was b4 commies though. He posited that just Serbs and Croats came here in the 7th century, while there were many Slavs settled already, due to centuries of wars between Byzanthium and Huns and Avars who used Slavs as auxilliary troops. Slavs then just slowly stayed behind more and more after the raids and populated the land. Then the eternal Serbo-Croat spergs came, conquered them gradually and made them into Serbs and Croats.

I also remember Andrija Kacic-Miosic writing about Skanderbeg as a Slav. Turned out Skanderbeg indeed was a Slav, at least by origin. So, who knows. I don't buy the Slavic Macedons and Slavic ancient Balkans though.

If you research Skanderbeg a little, you will find that he is from Crnojevic dynasty, his brother went to Hilandar monastery, stayed there, and later burried there.
Corovic is everything we learned at school. Even commies praised him.

I know it sounds ridiculous for a first.But he precisely quotes old generals and who is who in their troops.

>be Bosnia
>be a small mountain backwater for centuries
>Serbia and Croatia constantly change their rule over the land
>ppl cant figure out now for certain were Bosnians SRB, CRO or something else
>Hungary comes and starts ruling Bosnia
>Bosnia, being Balkanoid, always starts shit that the most powerful European leader of 14 century, Sigismund of Luxembourg, needs to wage fuckton of wars, get defeated a few times
>Sigismund finally succeeds
>Sigismund dies
>Bosnia spergs out again, says "ayyo we haz right to Serbia n shieet" and after the death of Tvrtko in late 14th century fragments GoT style ( Game of Thrones aint got shit on what happened in Bosnia during the chaos )
>be the Kosaca family
>conquer Hum and make a quasi state within Bosnia
>sperg out with father-son civil war
>Bosnian king invites Ottomans to hwlp him against Kosaca
>later Kosaca do the same
>TurkslaughingatstupidSlavshits.jpg
>Bosnia falls to Turks "by whispers", so easily
>central ( original ) Bosnia turns muslim, Kisaca lands stay Serb orthodox, Turks move the peoples a bit, create a mess
>Yugoslavia forms, somehow mamages the peace
>enter 90's, Bosnia spergs out GoT style
>West steps in and rules, like Hungary
>HistoryRepeatsItself.jpg

Wtf, literally WE WUZZING and what has this to do with Bosnia

Yeah. He constantly mentioned ethnic composition of Ragusa as well, and the Bobaljevic noble family.
He was thorough.

I haven't read the 500 page cersion, so I can't make a judgement.
We got carried away.

Skanderbegs sister was married to a Cernojevic to form an alliance so being from the sane dynasty it doesn’t make any sense

Also, best nature, best music, best food, shitty people.
And produced one of the best memes ( pic related ).

>my sources are memes

Yeah. People need to be careful with dynastic origins. Byt Skanderbeg named his children with Slavic names, and his alliance was Albanian-Serbian alliance. So, he was at least by origin Slavic. Doesn't take him away from beimg an Albanian hero though, as the bulk of his men and lands were Albanian. Nuances people, nuances.

He had only one child and named him John, also you are confusing cultural influences and religion with ethnicity.
Vlad Dracula had a Slavic name for exemple even though he was Vlach

And who are Vlachs?

Latin speaking Balkan peoples, They live mostly in Romania

Not him but Skanderberg's mother, named Vojsava was of the Brankovic dynasty. Also the name Kastrioti has more meaning and authenticity in Greece than Albania, he was probably an Epirote from his father's side.

Didn't he also have a daughter Vojislava?

Yeah, but for Vlad we know he was a Vlach by origin. Skenderbeg actually was Slavic ( don't know if he was 100% or partially ). There's even a video floating on Youtube of Albanian historian talking like this in an Albanian show.

Anyway, I admit I am not well versed with Skanderbeg. All I know for sure is he was called a Slav by Kacic-Miosic in 16-17 century and that he had family ties to some Serb family. Got some sources bout him, post them. not exactly Bosnia stuff, but I'm interested anyway.

His all brothers and sisters had slavic names.

I dont know if they spoke slavic language, but they surely wrote it everywhere.

There is the Kastrati clan and region in Albania

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kastrati_(tribe)

This.
Descendants of Romans amd romanized Illyrians and other natives who speak a Romanic language. Slavs mixed with them a lot and assimilated them in the mountain regions of Bosnia that Slavs from the coastline and muslim Bosmians started refering to all mountain Slavs as Vlachs. Today coastline Croatians call hill Croats "Vlaji" while muslims call Serbs pejoratively "Vlasi". Vlachs from Serbia, like Cincari, assimilated into Serbs, while E. Serbian Vlachs are moving slowly to Romania to become Romanians.

Why the name? Polish call Italy "Wloska" ( Wallachia, Vlach land ). Name comes from Veneto region as I recall.

>I dont know if they spoke slavic language, but they surely wrote it everywhere.

If there was correspondence with Slavs they most likely would be written in Slavic, like for example the ones with Italy were in Latin and Italian

This is not correspodence.

>>enter 90's, Bosnia spergs out GoT style

Serbia sperged out, not Bosnia

>According toEdith Durhamthe nameKastratiderives from the LatinCastrum, for the main road fromShkodërto Dioclea must have passed through lower Kastrati and would have needed to have guards to protect it. According to local legend, the name comes fromGjergj Kastrioti.[19]
>According to a local legend they are descendants of Dedli[4]who was a brother of Grča, the ancestor ofKuči.[5]It was also recorded that Alexius[6]Kastrati, a lord of three villages, had in 1403 received a gift from the governor of Scutari.[7][8]In a work ofJovan Cvijićit was recorded that in one of the villages (Kamenicë) of the Kastrati region the majority of the population were OrthodoxSerbs.[9]Cvijić also recorded that the Kastrati themselves have a story about their mixed Albanian and Serbian origin.[9]
It seems that Skanderberg either predated the clan name as per local legends, or he was born very close to when the clan formed and was a mixed population area.

>shitty people

Idk They're Ok

True.
It's needed to differentiate between origins and identity and accept that these guys from the past sometimes might didn't even see themselves as strictly X or Y.

Serbs wishing to take Skanderbeg away from Albanians are delusional, but also Albanians expecting some pure blooded Albanian in times where people intermarried like mutts is also delusional.

Bosnia declared independance of a region they had no control over, neither demographically nor territorial control, it was an unreasonable and immature decision to think you could drag half the population of the region with people they didn't identify with.

I know, I know... Save the bantz.

>Mixed population
>Balkanoids sperg out, each having some points because of that

Why am I not surprised?

Though it says that genetically they were Albanians somewhere in that article. Also Slavic cultural influence did dominate all Balkans before Ottomans, Slavic names most have been common

Ok towards others. Horrible amongst ourselves.
Always was and always will be that way.

>genetically they were Albanians
I'll pretend this isn't an argument, because "genetically" Albania is very Greek.

It went both ways. You have Serb tribes who are of mixed origin, Albamian tribes of mixed origin... A Serb tribe would have an Albanian name ( Kuchi ) and Albanian tribe would have a Serb/Slavic root ( I think it's Bjelopavlichi or something like that ).

It's a mixed clusterfuck. Google Marko Miljanov for example. Skanderbeg situation in reverse, nationally a Serb, by origins Serbo-Albanian mutt.

>A Serb tribe would have an Albanian name ( Kuchi )
kek

>>>implying

>ignoring Albanian tribe with Serb name just because being a Balkanoid