Why did the Meds fall behind?

Back in Roman times Mediterranean states like Egypt, Seleucid Syria, Carthage, the Greeks, and Rome itself were the preeminent world powers, ignoring Asia. So why then post-collapse of the Roman Empire did barbarian infested barren shitholes like Britannia, Germania and Gaul grow to be so powerful through the medieval ages to the modern day? Surely a mild Mediterranean climate is preferable for growing crops when compared to the harsh 4-season weather of said shitholes. What the fuck happened?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CUzcxJNZKC4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

We both know the answer and it's genetics, meds evolved in warmer climates than nords, that's pretty much it, as long as the germs got their paws on civilization they absolutely destroyed the meds in civilization achievements

How is it that Italy, Spain and other mediterranean countries are not wonderful places to live again?
>great weather
>cheap cost of live for a wonderful standard
>better women
>all the good of living in the first world with none of the bad (being involved in wars, authoritarianism, getting shot in high school by the kid with black fingernails)

>cheap cost of live for a wonderful standard

No

>better women

no

They may be fine to live in, but their world relevance nowadays is much less than France, Britain, and Germany. Sweden is another example of a nice place to live that isn’t a major player on the world stage.

protestantism

>muh work ethic

off yourself

>Get sacked
>Get sacked again
>Get sacked again
>Fight civil war
>Get sacked again
>Lose territory to invaders
>Fight civil war
>Fight another civil war
>Fight another civil war
>Fight another civil war
>Get sacked again
>Lose more territory
>Lose even more territory
>Get sacked again
>Lose more territory
>Fight civil war
>Fight another civil war
>Get sacked again
>etc
this is roughly the history of all the Mediterranean civilizations

There is no such thing as "med race".

Being a "major player" on the world stage is clearly not an argument for one race being better or not at civilization, specially as Russia under Stalin was a major player on the world stage but that clearly says nothing about their skill at being civilized or whatever this types of thread really need to prove as a point. A more modern example would certainly be China

except the women are better, you retard. med women are feminine and attractive. german women are all ugly degenerate sluts.

This with emphasis on ugly with fat cheeks and terrible greasy skin. Danish women are qts though, but have generally a terrible personality

Women of any race are subhumans.

actually there might be a common pre-IE ancestor amongst meds

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Meds are good at agriculture while Germs are better at industrialization.

What was it about Northern Europeans that allowed them to avoid this?

Be not worth raiding for a very large part of history.

They really didn't though. Italy, Spain, and the Mediterranean south of France were all some of the wealthiest parts of Europe until the Industrial revolution. Greece getting BTFO by the Ottomans set them back, climate change BTFO north Africa, and the Levant was wrecked by wars and horseniggers.

This here is the real answer.

Genetics, no getting around that, studies have confirmed that South Italians have lower DNA than their Northen counterparts who received more white blood

Atlantic trade in Early modern age.
England was irrelevant shithole till 16/17th century. France is partially mediterranean country. Emperors of medieval HRE spend most of their time trying to conquer and pacify Italy, Spain became one of the most powerful countries ever after the reconquista, etc.

Nordics discovered most elementary elements. They dominate science and philosophy for the last few centuries. Their contributions to the modern world are unparalleled compared to other races.

>meds haven't had authoritarianism in recent memory
Quite literally every Mediterranean nation has had a dictatorship in living memory

And how many of these discoveries are actually Jewish?

ΟΥ VEY WE'VE BEEN DISCOVERED SHUT IT DOWN

t. Nicholas 'I am pure huwite greek' Nassim Taleb

Only a handful of them. Jews tend to prefer doing business.

late/weak industrialisation

Or winning Nobel Prizes.

The Mediterranean world was the richest part of Europe for centuries due to the silk road and the fact North Africa was so fertile and rich at the time. These areas were highly urbanised while Northern Europe was still entirely rural. Trade and culture flourished.
When Rome fell, southern France, Italy and Greece were still the richest areas, but North Africa under Arab rule suffered climate change and the destruction of infrastructure, but the silk road was still open. But when the Turks conquered Byzantium, trade stopped because Muslims refused to trade with Christians.
When the age of colonialism started, the source of European wealth went west to the New World, and trade gradually shifted from the Mediterranean to the North Sea, first with things like the Hanseatic league (still eastern trade) and later thanks to British, French, German and Dutch colonialism (oriented west). This wealth kickstarted the industrial revolution and spread to Northern Europe first, leaving Southern Europe in the dust.

t. retard.

>inb4 "The Nordic race founded a civilization in the homeland of everyone except their own"
The proper explanation is that Civilization has a lifespan, Med civilization rose and fell, they no longer existed in a vacuum and Germanics/Slavs/Celts/Arabs were poised to take what they could when it did.
Byzantium was a ghost of the Roman Empire, only giving credence to the greatness of Med Civilization that even their distant lands would last long into the age of Germanic civilization.
The Iberians were never true Meds in the sense that Finns are not true Scandinavians. They are different from other Meds and maintained a sense of identity different from the fragmented Italian States and Greek cities under Byzantine rule.
Thus the Spanish Empire was able to flourish, but not in the way Northern Europe flourished, Spain merely managed to make it into Western Europe via linguistic and cultural affiliations.
Meds did not fall behind, they simply fell.
Look at where Northern European civilization is headed. We are experiencing a decline as well.
The decline is always social, moral, and spiritual decay. We are going the way of Mesopotamia, Egypt, Assyria, and Rome.
Perhaps one day our descendants will ask "Why did the Nords fall behind?" and we must respond, "Theirs was a glorious civilization, but they simply fell."
No one is denying that Nordic civilization is great. But consider that they did have the aid of the Meds going forward. They had their protection from the Huns in their infancy, their Religious institutions maintaining the roads, schools, gathering places, and justifying government institutions.
Though to give a more tempered approach, I would have to say the Meds dominated in science during the height of their civilization, Nords did nothing of the sort.
The natural philosophers were all of Med or Eastern descent.
Also there were quite a few Jews who contributed.
Another question I would pose, are Celts, Germans, and Slavs Nordic?

Kind of unrelated but does anyone here know if any part of sub-Saharan Africa was ever more advanced than Northern Europe at any point in time?

>Another question I would pose, are Celts, Germans, and Slavs Nordic?
These were the people whom discovered the most. If by Nordic we mean "Scandinavian" then Nordics have not been a major world player, have owned no continent spanning Empires, nor have they conquered any land. The Scandinavians remain in Scandinavia, while the Spaniards, French, Germans, Anglos, Scots, and Irish spread across the world and founded their own nations.
Nords are the comfiest people, but I think they are NPCs.
enough Nord bashing though.

>These were the people whom discovered the most. If by Nordic we mean "Scandinavian" then Nordics have not been a major world player, have owned no continent spanning Empires, nor have they conquered any land.
Since it's a meme word, I don't know if this is right, but I thought that all Germanics were called "Nords" because there Germanic Urheimat is basically Scandinavia + Northern Germany. When talking about the Norse or North Germanics, they are called just that, while all Germanics are Nordic, meaning that West Germanic and the now extinct East Germanics are Nordic because they ALL came from Northern Germany on north.

Yeah. Like I said, only a handful of them.

>Our descendants
Nice joke. It was Tyrone's and Abdul's.

Maybe before 1000BC

WE WUZ PERIODIC ELEMNTZ AND SHIET

Unfortunately their Nordic genes were contaminated.

>Egypt
>Nordic
>WE

You know how I can tell you've never lived in this shithole?
t. Italian (Umbria)

You know, when these kind of questions come up, someone always will always retell history as if that is somehow an explanation. It never explains why it actually happened that way.

because snow

lack of technology to make their climate produce the same levels of population density

what do you mean by world relevance, the only one where they are nowhere to be see is the military one

Jesus Christ, you have a 12 year olds knowledge of history. What nations did the Scots and Irish found?
>no continent spanning Empires
Denmark had Iceland, Greenland, Gold Coast and a couple of islands in the West Indies.
Sweden had islands in the West Indies and settlements in North America.

Did they put the same amount of effort and money as the Spaniards or the Portuguese? No. They also lacked a severe amount of manpower in comparison.

>Surely a mild Mediterranean climate is preferable for growing crops when compared to the harsh 4-season weather of said shitholes.
You are vastly overstating the harshness of Europe's climate, and the geographical viability of large scale intensive agriculture in the mountainous and often arid landscape around the Mediterranean.
You're also overstating the imbalance of power between the regions in the middle ages: Italy was the richest part of Europe all the way to the 17th century, and in spite of being ridiculously fragmented it still managed to kick imperial ass regularly.
The main reasons for the split between the regions were the loss of relevance of the Mediterranean as a trade route in favour of the Atlantic, and the relative poverty of most southern Europe in everything mineral during the industrial revolution.

>Meds dominated in science during the height of their civilization, Nords did nothing of the sort.
Are you saying "Nords" don't dominate science at the height of their civilisation?

>Germania
>barren

>hurr durr we gave names to some elements we gods and smart

>Ancient Greeks
>m*Doids
WE

Scandinavia was poor shithole until modern era that was very difficult to invade

>aDNA meme episode IV
>>/trash/

what a meme and false list
>x person emigrated to y country therefore y country has discovered it
fuck you mutt

That smacks of nordicism to me which is as much of a meme analysis of history as afrocentrism. In reality most of the people you would call "nordic" are central european, mostly indigenous to that region with negligible amounts of really truly "nordic" ancestry.
Nordicism would posit that the original race of Europeans, or at least Germanics, were blonde and blue-eyed and tall and handsome and blah fuckin blah you know how this goes. That isn't even the case in Scandinavia today, and most Germans you'll meet certainly don't fit the stereotype. I don't see anything productive in identifying them as nordic. They certainly don't identify with it.

>In reality most of the people you would call "nordic" are central european, mostly indigenous to that region with negligible amounts of really truly "nordic" ancestry.

Fuck off Himmler

Fuck off retard unless you will learn what does it even mean to be of the Nordic race.

That guy specifically referred to all German people as "nordic". In his case, most of the people he refers to as nordic are not in fact nordic at all, or very little.
If you genuinely believe in some transcendent nordic race you are a fucking rube. It's just a handful of northern germanic speaking people.

being arrogant and dismissing all the other races and their achievements?

>t. zero knowledge about what does it mean to be of the Nordic race
pro tip: it does not mean you are scandinavian you imbecile

Being superior and of Aryan heritage. The Nordic man is the most advanced being in the Earth, a rightful heir to the Proto-Indo-Germanic volks who created EVROPA as we know it. The perfect human superior to the inferior swarthy races in all aspects.

It is overwhelmingly used as a Geographic term and hasn't been seriously used as a racial category since WWII. It basically is just Scandinavia and Iceland. If you're not from those countries you can safely stop considering yourself nordic.

Isn't it amazing that Mediterraneans and Levantine people start declining big-ly mentally and physically once they hit 25? Indians even earlier. Slavic women turn ugly and witch-like in their late 20s. Their men aren't that attractive and youthful to begin with. Asains aren't "energetic" and virile to begin with, only Africans can sometimes come close but, well, you know... Nordic males are pretty much in puberty until 28 (it's pretty common that Nordic males just start to be interested in the world and sexual things. But they will not admit it for obvious reasons). Nordic women can be attractive even with 60 because they don't grow fat and stay more athletic. Because of their narrow and straight noses the age-related tissue growth there doesn't turn Northerners as ugly. More robust Nordics tend to stay muscular until their early 60s even when not working out. The main aging problem of Northerners is baldness and wrinkles. But otherwise?
But the most amazing feature is actually the slow mental and energetic decline. Even in their early 80s Nordics don't lose much of their intelligence and sharpness. 70-year old musicians are still doing the aggressive Heavy Metal thing with power and inspiration when Italians and Greeks can barely walk and only utter ten words a minute:

youtube.com/watch?v=CUzcxJNZKC4

The true secret of the economic success of Northerners is that their people's skills are declining much slower (besides creativity and relatively high IQ) than in the rest of the world.

The masculinity is also remarkeable. While Africans have to dance and sing, Southern Europeans have to manipulate and lie, Middle Easterners have to use violence and intimidation, the Nordic man acquires women with honesty, respect and his natural Herrenmensch charisma.

Butthurt Meds incoming.

>and hasn't been seriously used as a racial category since WWII
It had been. I use it as a racial category, and this is why I write "Nordic race" instead of "North Germanic". Everyone who refers to the Nordics as a race does so as well.

Print this out and show it to your therapist.

Not an argument

Just acknowledge the fact. m*Doids are inferior to the Nordic man.

Every definition of a nordic race I've ever seen has been full of romance and whimsy and every so often a reference to outright bullshit like a proto-nation of Thule. If you have a different one I'd be surprised. Otherwise the only usage of Nordic with any rigor basically just means north germanic.

>m*Doids
What the fuck is this
I can't keep up with /pol/ insanity anymore

>aDNA
>meme

Nordic is a racial term used by anthropologists before 1960s and I use it as such.
>seeing the term "m*Doid" for the first time
so new
It's meaningless as fuck when it does not even correlate to phenotypes. Who the fuck cares if you are close to someone? If you are not his race, you are not his clean descendant.

Also accordig to aDNA meme Iranians and Indians are unrelated to Europeans.... here is it's "accuracy" LOL.

Also honestly I'd take 1 Nordic which who I barely cluster with than 10 swarthymen who happen to be "closer". I don't give a shit, they are not of my volk.

>Nordic is a racial term used by anthropologists before 1960s and I use it as such.
You're really being light on the details here. Nordic was used in many different ways by many different people, none with any rigor. Usually just musings on skull shapes and broad generalizations that followed.
>so new
I've been on this board on/off since its inception. Whatever the fuck "m*Doid" is from it's new as fuck.

>Also accordig to aDNA meme Iranians and Indians are unrelated to Europeans.... here is it's "accuracy" LOL.

t. Alireza Bangladesh

>Nordic was used in many different ways by many different people, none with any rigor. Usually just musings on skull shapes
Of course. The superior Nordic skull shape is long, with elongated face, pominent occipital bone, elongated orbits, high cheek bones, big nasal bridge, strong chin. And I refer to people who have these traits as "Nordics".
It's obvious they do have European ancestry, via Aryan Nordics who migrated there. They also inherited R1a haplogroup from them.

Race > Haplogroups > autosomal trash

Nevermind me, abusing worthless thread to see who got

The industrial occurred in northwestern europe and then it spread across the atlantic to the United States. As a result of this not just Southern Europe, but also eastern Europe, and Asia fell far behind. The UK, the USA, France, and Germany became far ahead of the rest of the world by the start of the twentieth century.

It is absolutely wrong, however, to suggest that this sort of dominance extends back to the middle ages. Britannia, where the industrial revolution was most concentrated, certainly wasn't a powerhouse in the middle ages it was weak and constantly invaded by Saxons, Vikings, Normans, etc. Germania wasn't even a thing during the middle ages, it was generally divided by multiple different feudal principalities. Well the holy roman emperor officially had some power, even he had problems dealing with the pope during the investiture controversy.

Not every nordic person has those traits and there are people who are not nordic who do. Either your definition only qualifies a vanishingly small group or you're not consistent with how you apply it.
This is exactly what I mean though. You don't have any real method for determining who's nordic or not. You rely on gut and feeling for the sake of this pathetically detached supremacist bullshit.

>Not every nordic person has those traits and there are people who are not nordic who do.
Two wrongs. Every person of the Nordic race has these traits in more or less pronounced way.

Actually, the reason southern Europe fell behind on industrialization was about mineral resources. It's not a coincidence that the UK and Belgium industrialized earlier than their neighbours afterall, it's a product of their perfect natural setup for industrialization: lots of closeby coal, iron, waterways making industrial production actually competitive for them, whereas it wouldn't have been for say, Italy, who would have had to import EVERYTHING either through half Europe and the Alps or through long sea voyages from the main coal & iron producers in northern Europe and Russia.

Do you have a diagnostic criteria? How many of these traits do you need to have to qualify as nordic? Because I guarantee you there are swedes who don't have strong chins and high cheek bones, pic related.

Nordic-Dinaric. He has also round skull it seems.

Give me a break with these stupid ass terms. That's a Swedish lawyer and he's not nordic enough for you? He belongs to some sub-group? This is stupid bullshit I'm not wasting anymore time with.

>That's a Swedish lawyer and he's not nordic enough for you?
Ethnicity doesn't matter.

Race does.

you are dealing with a lookism type retard here, all he knows is psuedo phenotypes

>psuedo phenotypes
No such thing. Phenotypes are real.

Is this guy the biggest brainlet on Veeky Forums?

Yes but because one swede looks slightly different from another does not make him ''nordic-dinaric'' and from a ''diferent race''
Ive seen brothers that look different would you say they are of a different race?
Retard

No, it's you.
>one swede looks slightly different from another does not make him ''nordic-dinaric'' and from a ''diferent race''
Yes, this is how it works. However, not "slihgtly", but a lot different.
>Ive seen brothers that look different would you say they are of a different race?
Yes, I don't get your point.

Ahahaahha so two brothers are of a different race?

>Ahahaahha so two brothers are of a different race?
Where are you from? I can't believe that they didn't teach you basic genetics in school...

Of course. If there are two individuals of mixed racial background ("heterozygotous"), their offspring can be of many different phenotypes.

Brown or light eyed, dark or blond haited, tall or small, gracile or robust, long or short skulled, et cetera.

>all the good of living in the first world with none of the bad (being involved in wars, authoritarianism, getting shot in high school by the kid with black fingernails)
>Who is Salazar
>Who is Franco or Miguel Primo de Rivera
>Who is Mussolini
>Who is Georgios Papadopoulos or Ioannis Metaxas

kek

Russia is also very relevant :)

>we both know the answer and it's genetics
>proceed to talk about georgraphy

brainlet.jpeg