ITT Veeky Forums approved shows

Pic related I like it a lot

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=b9m7GXpU5e8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Stopped watching when Churchill - the only interesting character - left the show.

Yeah, love it.

You're missing out. I love Vanessa Kirby, so any Margaret scenes are great.

I found all of her scenes to be glorified soap-opera scenes.

That's the point. Margaret's life was a glorified soap-opera, which she wanted out of. The second series covers this.

Just because it was a deliberate choice doesn't make it enjoyable.

For me it does. Elizabeth's life has been one of irony: the less outgoing sister, who enjoys the countryside and animals, became Queen. Whereas the more outgoing sister, who enjoys high-society, parties, etc., became the relative nobody.

They already depicted that contrast in season one. I don't really need an entire season dedicated to the same concept.

The fact is, the royal family just isn't interesting enough to make a multi-season series on. They had no power, and are thus just witnesses to major events, not participants in them.

> They had no power, and are thus just witnesses to major events, not participants in them.
That's the point of Constitutional Monarchy.

As every Briton knows, the Royal Family is a metaphor for the country as a whole. Britain declined in the second half of the 20th century, undergoing massive social change too. The Family has reflected this in the tensions between old and new, tradition and modern relevance. Elizabeth, Philip, and Margaret. The episode of Charles' relation with his dad and his school is particularly good.

Philip's background is also pretty interesting.
youtube.com/watch?v=b9m7GXpU5e8

They have quite a lot of power they just don’t use it and the crown being indifferent is a mistake, but I guess that’s the trade off to live a life of high luxury

They have, by law, zero political power.

The Queen may suggest something to the Government, but the Government is in no way obliged to do anything.

There is a huge outrage whenever any royal, usually Charles, says anything even mildly political. This is why the Queen has been deemed 'good': she stays quiet, and busies herself with her horses and whatnot.

Royal assent

Last refused in 1707.

Could reffuse royal assent but have not done in hundreds of years

Technically she can deny assent to any and all proposed legislation. This power hasn't been exercised in 150 years and even then was rarely used but it still exists.

>That's the point of Constitutional Monarchy.
A constitutional monarchy can still have a politically-active monarchy.
Limited power doesn't have to mean no power.

If she even thought about it for a nanosecond, she would be removed.

The British way of parliamentary democracy and constitutional monarchy has proven to be stable and so successful enough.

The Royal Family are not known for their intelligence, wit, or political nous. It's best they just do their own job.

I'm enjoying "Ripper Street." Mostly straight-up fiction, but with historical characters and events involved, and is very well done. Season 2 episodes with Sir Frederick Treves and Joseph Merrick are especially good.

They would try.
There would be instant outrage from politicians, the media, non-Britons, et cetera.
There would be a referendum within the year.
But would it pass? I believe that, if it was a fair referendum, it wouldn't. Though I don't think it would be fair. They'd rig it.
And I'd be on the next flight over the England to join one of the many groups that would be instantly formed by true Britons.

That's bullshit. Britain would be immensely better if the Queen could truly exercise her God-given powers.

There'd be a quick 'abdication', Edward-style. Far too serious a situation to leave to a referendum.

I love the Queen, but she is far too badly educated, or intelligent enough, for actual politics.

Plus you can build a drinking game around when the next actor from Game of Thrones will show up.

Oh, not like those silver-tongued politicians, though, right?

I never said politicians were angels; only that the Queen would perform the job worse.

What "job?" Deceiving and stealing money Britons?

How has the Queen 'deceived'? Or 'stolen'?

She's a net contributor to the economy.

I agree. That's what politicians do.

I'm only 4 episodes in but I'm really enjoying it. It's extremely well-done and I can tell they researched the shit out of their lives. Plus it's just a genuinely good show for watching.

He was really great. The episode with the painting was probably my favorite.

Pic extremely related

itt: netflix shill bot

>the virgin crown vs the chad wolf hall

Got the book on my wishlist

>The fact is, the royal family just isn't interesting enough to make a multi-season series on. They had no power, and are thus just witnesses to major events, not participants in them.

True, though they manage to make "The Crown" interesting, unlike "Victoria" which is absolute shit.

>withhold Royal assent

Which is legally meaningless, whatever "power" it has nowadays is wholly traditional.

/humanities/

Comedy Bang! Bang!
The Eric Andre Show

Anyone else know anything else?

>tfwywn be Group Captain Townsend

The greatest series of all time

It was alright, it's interesting seeing historical events but it spends too much time on soap opera shit

This, 'Beryl' was a pretty shit episode although the Flamingos scene was well done and almost made it worth it

Also this, the entire second season was all about relationships and shit (esp between Liz and Philip). It was the same shit over and over.

The Philip episodes are the best, the one about Gordonstoun is the best of the entire series imo. He is an interesting character in all honesty. His family background is largely forgotten now unfortunately.