Which side would you have supported?

Which side would you have supported?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty_Negro_Law
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

North because I'm not a traitor

>live in Texas

fight for south against drafted irishmen and germans, or go north with my brother and rob yankee fucking shits

CFA. Textiles > hippy abolitionists

Retrospectively? The South, universal suffrage would have been important to me even knowing full well the Southern economy would suffer and seeing the Hatian massacre. Today, I see that Calhoun was right and that cosmpolitanism is a self-affirming feedback loop with too much power and too little humility.

Oops, Retrospectively? should have gone before Today.

Hard to say. I'm from a border state so I likely would have been sympathetic to the southern cause but I like to think my loyalty to the Union would take priority.

>muh treason is always bad
Guess the Founding Father’s were traitors too.
Depends on my position in the country. If I were in a position where I worried about the US(as a single nation, rather than a group of nations) on the world stage, I’d side with the Union.
If I were a worker/farmer/etc, I’d side with the confederacy.
Currently, I would side with the confederacy, since I think the federal government is too strong and that we shouldn’t have made such a strong central government in the first place. We’re supposed to be 50 nations, not one.

Not American, but the North, easily. Even putting aside moral or legal reasons (in which the North wins in both of those cases anyway), the North was clearly economically, industrially and militarily superior to the South, and it was obvious they were going to btfo the South.

CSA because I am not a traitor bent on conquest.

Traitors ITT

I can't even imagine how this would work though. We can't even get shit done as a single nation, imagine if there were 50.

The South because they have culture and I like their accent

Would stay in kansas and fuck all you union and confederate faggots. We would have been better off a territory. Fuck you again for needing a civil war to becone "decent people". Midwest should balkanize and exile the coasts.

The Union forever, hurrah boys hurrah
Down with the traitor, and up with the stars!
Well we'll rally 'round the flag, boys, rally once again
Shouting the battle cry of freedom

We can’t get shit done because we’re trying to have one central government trying to govern a country with the third largest population. And the states are so different, culturally, that our politics clash and end up bad for everybody/both sides.
If the 50 states were each individual nations, it would be easier for their governments to govern and get shit done.

>He doesn't want to bring about the collapse of America
embarrassing

There is only one answer, search your heart you know it to be true

“America” wasn’t a nation.

North because I know it wins in the end.

> Implying I didn't already answer this question by inventing a time machine and murdering Stonewall Jackson before he could lead the Confederacy to victory at Gettysburg

Go North cause they were in the right and try and keep ol' Abe alive so that what actually buttfucked the South doesn't happen.

CSA
America is an abomination and must be balkanized

Did confederacy not turn into a fucking disaster? Did you not turn into a Federation even before the Civil War?

The north cause it is the only civilized part and still continues to be so to this day. Just compare Connecticut to Mississippi.

>America Balkanizes
>Is not able to get its shit together to help in WWI
>No America support means a Peace With Honor in Europe, the great empires are still in tact
> Whites stay uncucked
>Willy Wagging Intensifies

This man has his priorities together

Remind me how colonialism survived the enlightenment and industrial revolution and ill remind you that representative government is a mere rahashing of fuedal politics on a global scale and technology precipitates its downfall

I'm pretty sure colonialism happened BECAUSE of the Enlightenment and was accelerated by the industrial revolution.

USA because slavery is morally unjustifiable.

the end of imperialism was inevitable

Whitney and his cotton gin?
Or Voltaire and Candide?

Hard to say since my own ancestors were perfectly split 50/50 between southern unionists and rebels with some joining the Union Army and some joining the Confederate Army.

As an American, I fully support this.

I can see there are 50 stars on that flag so if I'm in Hawaii, what side was Hawaii on???

Hawaii was with the southern states right??? THEY SHIPPED IN CONFEDERATE TROOPS ON THEIR BOATS WITH GEORGE ALOHA WASHINGTON, George Washington's evil but also righteous twin brother

was this meant to amuse me?

it did not

Clint Eastwood.

Union so I could kill as many redneck Dixie scum as possible.

North to avoid southerners from importing anymore blacks and turning the country into a Brazil 2.0

God bless abolitionists from cutting that shit out just in time.

*for

the slave trade ended in the 1820's though

You know the confederacy radically increased the power of the central government?

ultimately union. The glory of the USA will not be destroyed by an army of hicks and martyrs

Why the fuck would you remind me of that

As did the Union. Seems like war causes people to give more power to a central government.

Unironically this

Civil War essentially started in Kansas... "Bleeding Kansas" ring a bell. The full scale war happened years later

Union because lever action rifles are cool and I want to cuck Southerners and Germans.

Every social, economic, and political phenomenon that can be said to have caused the civil war ultimately had its roots in slavery. That isn't to say that the Union was fighting for racial egalitarianism or that the united states itself isn't just as guilty of a having a heritage of slavery. But at the very least there is zero ethical ground for supporting the confederacy in any respect unless you're a white supremacist. And even then you were probably acting against your material interests in propping up glorified feudalists with their claws dug into a decrepit system of labor.

>germans
you mean the ones that overwhelmingly fought for the union?

I'd fight for my home state.

You think slavery would have died out anyways with or without the Civil War? Lincoln said it would be dead by 1900. Its just cheaper to hire some scrub to work in your factory for a pittance than to house, clothe, guard against and feed a bunch of slaves.

why?

It would have, but the political goals of the Confederacy were to prolong it as long as possible. It would have been extremely lucrative for the slave owners if things had gone as planned.

that's a moot question since the south fought the civil war to preserve the institution of slavery, so they made it quite clear they would never give it up unless they were forced to

It would have ended once they struck oil.

>I pledge oaths to the government instead of to the constitution
Get a load of this commie.

you can't use slaves for mineral extraction?

>tfw black

Easy choice desu

considering how obvious it was even without hindsight who the winner would be it should be an easy choice for anyone desu

What the fuck does that comic even mean?

I'd fuck off to paris or californee

Would you?
>tfw black
>own slaves
The choice is clear.

>Which side would you have supported?
The confederacy.
The Constitution IS America.

it means Mary Todd Lincoln had a foot fetish.

Was it user? Was it really easy for the 16-19 year old boys of the day to see? Guys who got their news from their community, whose beliefs were shaped by the people they talked to every day? For the southerners especially who probably got an earful of arguments from both sides, and would be seen by people they knew and loved as traitors no matter what they chose?

Then don't start wars to preserve slavery if it's the state rights you care about.

don't infantilize people of the past

>just let the blacks roam free, what could go wrong?

>whose beliefs were shaped by the people they talked to every day?
And yet you hate them for judging those they spoke with daily?

I think some foresaw that they couldn't win the war in the long run but many thought they'd give it a shot anyway.

Did southerners expect lincoln to be such an absolute communist as to burn the constitution?

Yes

Jefferson and Lee believed they could bring the Union to terms that would allow the Confederacy to continue existing. They underestimated Northern resolve to preserve the Union.

Did the north have any law similar to this?
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty_Negro_Law

I asked if they predicted it, not if they had eyes.

That was the most realistic option.

South.
Because I support a state's and a people's rights to peacefully secede from a tyrannical government.
Because I do not side with invaders who declare war against their own laws.
Because I do not support the murderers of women and children.
Because I believe Georgian civilians aren't enemies to be slaughtered.
Because I believe in habeas corpus.
Because I believe in state's rights.
Because I believe in freedom for all men.
Because I believe that a people have the right to stand up against injustice.
Because I do not want to be killed due to the foolishness of a Irish plebeian or a fat drunk.
Because I do not approve of the government dismissing Southern interests in favor of Yankee special interests.
Because I do not support the destruction of an entire culture.
Because I cannot with good conscience fight to give savages the whip hand over the civilized man.
Because I believe in the rights, in the values enshrined within the U.S. Constitution, the rights which Lincoln and successive generations of Democratic tyrants have stripped from the people.
Because I believe in America.

The South started the war, fuck off Cletus.

>Because I believe in freedom for all men.
With one major exception, eh?

>implying abolitionists didn't want the war
If there's one thing I've learned is that no one ever starts wars. They are bound to happen at some point.

The south gave causus beli because of an accident, the north then declared war on what according to it were it's own people out of spite.

>men

I would've willingly fought for the South as I believe in state > country.

But morally I would've been more aligned with the North

Oh ok, well for the sake of clarity you should at least add that you believe in white supremacy. As it stands you're skirting around the issue.

Slavery was a temporary solution to an irreversible problem. Even Lincoln agreed they should be sent back to Africa.

My position isn't white supremacy because it would entail having no non-whites to be supreme over.

That's one hell of a cause and effect chain. Slavery was the solution to the problem that slavery created? What an ouroboros of fucking idiocy.
No, the conception behind slavery was that it would last forever and reality rudely intruded on this idea. The ideal southern society is a permanent ethnic underclass to provide free labor. "Underclass" really isn't strong enough because under this system the labor that served as the society's foundation was not even recognized as human.
You should really just own up to being a white supremacist rather than pretending that there was any ethical consideration done here at all.
Well then this is a really puzzling hill for you to die on. I think you're full of shit.

What would you have done instead? I disagree with preserving slavery by the way because of the problems it creates. But it's not like the results of which were so easily irreversible .

t.William L. Pierce

fpbp

Union to get rid of slavery, but with strong reservations about the precedent Union victory would set about secession being illegal, conscription being ok, the feds having the power to suspend habeas corpus, and so on.

A reversal of this state of affairs would indeed be impossible. By the time of the civil war the separation from Africa was so vast that shipping them back would be a very peculiar sort of essentialism that Americans felt no obligation to put on themselves, considering the continent on which they stood.
The gains of the slave owning class were ill-gotten. Their fortunes were built on the suffering of free labor and it would be right to distribute to those laborers what they built. This would be however terribly inconvenient and despite being traitors to the US no one was about to enforce such a thing. I know very well such a solution was not anywhere close to a political reality at the time but if you're asking what I think would have been right? It would have been that. The slave owners were no more entitled to their fortunes than thieves are to theirs.
This is why support of the Confederacy and to some extent admiration of the union is so puzzling to me. The entire reality was built on horrifying exploitation. Neither side comes out looking great, but especially not the Confederacy.
The confederacy's defenders are very often just cowardly white supremacists. Cloaking their views with talk of state rights and vague idealism when the most salient feature of the war was slavery. The justification being white supremacy.

Worse thing to happen to the slavery issue it that it became a partisan issue. The South should have been more liking part with their labor force and the North should have been more accommodating to help them relocate them.

Y'all need a dose of good ole' Uncle Z

>more liking
*more willing to

The boys who died in the war weren't the people who made the decision to start it. Those were the plutocrats who SHOULD have seen it coming but were willing to blind themselves to their inevitable loss because it was worth the 1/100 shot they were taking with other peoples' sons.

Southerners claim that they were protecting us by keeping a foreign race in chains but in the end their unwillingness to let go costed this nation dearly. Detroit, Milwaukee and St. Louis are a testament to that.

I'm honestly not sure.

On the one hand I hate slavery and like the Union

On the other hand I'm not keen on dying and for the longest time the Union Army had a habit of doing really stupid shit.

/dixie/ send their regards